PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Torain

3irty1
10-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Keep an eye tomorrow on Ryan Torain. Torain was recently promoted to the 53 man roster and in his opportunities last week with Clinton Portis out managed 70 yards and a TD.

According to McCarthy, Nance will get a few more reps this week as well. Nance backed up Ryan Torain at Arizona St. They both started the year on NFL practice squads in fact, when Nance was signed, Torain was available. Shannahan is known for his success using an offense based off of zone blocking and has a reputation for being able to turn a roleplayer into a 1000 yard rusher but TT had a shot at Torain and instead went with Nance. At this point I doubt anybody would take the unknown Nance over Torain who in one week has already put up a better rushing performance than anyone on the Packers roster...

...But I think that Torain's success bodes well for Nance. These two guys came from the same place and now are both in a full on ZBS offense. If Torain can have success, why not Nance?

Tarlam!
10-09-2010, 12:58 PM
If Torain can have success, why not Nance?

You said it yourself: Shannahan. He knows how ZBS is acually coached. I'm not so sure with M3.

Thanks for the tip, BTW. Should be interesting.

Bretsky
10-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Too early to tell, but Torrain looks pretty good at thsi point. Hopefully we didn't overlook him.

Speaking of overlooking...........how good would Aaron Hernandez look right now in Green n Gold. That guy looks so fluid after the catch its sick and he looks very natural. I think he was there for the taking when we drafted Quarles.

Time will tell

mission
10-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I have Torain starting for me this week... even in my paid 4-0 league. Hate to do that against the Pack but it could be a big sleeper pick with the lBs down.

CaliforniaCheez
10-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I saw the Redskins game last week, He is a lot better than Portis.

I wish Portis was starting.

mraynrand
10-09-2010, 07:58 PM
If Torain can have success, why not Nance?

http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/persons/coach-cards/Campen_James.jpg

pbmax
10-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Its all OK Rand. That 4 minute drill last week was just the beginning.

We really need a praying emoticon.

MadtownPacker
10-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Damn, this guy must have shown alot last week. He is gone in every fantasy league I play in.

Badgerinmaine
10-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I have Torain starting for me this week... even in my paid 4-0 league. Hate to do that against the Pack but it could be a big sleeper pick with the lBs down.
I picked him up and am starting him in my league, too.

Badgerinmaine
10-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Damn, this guy must have shown alot last week. He is gone in every fantasy league I play in.
Word is that he may get the rest of the starts for Washington this year.

packerbacker1234
10-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Looked solid when the blocking was there so far today. Hard guy to bring down.

I am sure if portis gets healthy he'll get a majority of the carries until he breaks 10k before splitting time completely with Torrain assuming he keeps up his solid production.

Bretsky
10-10-2010, 01:56 PM
we had a shot to sign this guy and passed, right ? Or was he secured up before we got Nance ?

3irty1
10-10-2010, 02:02 PM
we had a shot to sign this guy and passed, right ? Or was he secured up before we got Nance ?

Yeah we did. That's what this thread is about.

Bretsky
10-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Yeah we did. That's what this thread is about.

OOPS; missed that in your first paragraph

To answer your last question......Torrain is much better :lol:

The Leaper
10-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Torrain is better than Jackson...and if he can catch the ball at all, could be comparable to Grant.

This Redskin OL is bad...so the fact that Torrain is doing reasonably well on his carries is noteworthy.

The Leaper
10-10-2010, 02:08 PM
double

Packgator
10-10-2010, 11:53 PM
16 carries. 40 yards. 2.5 average.

If he played for the Packers and put up those numbers he would be getting torn a new one by a lot of those here.

3irty1
10-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Watching Torain chew up Indy is just the centipede in the urinal that was today's football games. Would have been a genius move by Thompson and with Starks coming back, the RB position might have actually been a strength by the end of the year.

Brohm
10-17-2010, 09:23 PM
At this point, I don't think it would matter who TT brought in: Lynch, Torian, Walter Payton, Sanders or AP. MM wouldn't run them as he would not be "comfortable" with them. Nance has been with the team 5 weeks now, the easiest position to come in and contribute immediately, and he has what? a scant 3-4 carries?

mission
10-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Torain is helping me hold off Manning in both of my FF leagues!

Patler
10-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Everyone is assuming that TT made no effort to get Torain, and we don't know that for sure. Torain came to Washington in part because of Shanahan who he played for as a rookie in Denver. It wouldn't be the first time a player turned down an offer from a strange team based on a promise from a coach he trusted.

I don't know that it happened, but I don't know that TT didn't try to get him either. No sense jumping to conclusions.

Bretsky
10-17-2010, 09:36 PM
anybody who has watched this guy play has to wonder why in the heck he is not in green n gold

mraynrand
10-17-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm sure Torain would love to come to Green Bay and get 1-3 carries per game. And if he breaks a big gainer, he will be rewarded with...less carries. I don't know what running back wold want to come to Green Bay and work in their inexplicable offense.

Patler
10-17-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm sure Torain would love to come to Green Bay and get 1-3 carries per game. And if he breaks a big gainer, he will be rewarded with...less carries. I don't know what running back wold want to come to Green Bay and work in their inexplicable offense.

That's exactly what I was thinking. He might have assumed if he came to GB he would be used as much as...well...as much as Nance has actually been used.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Torain is da Train Tonite.

Bretsky
10-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Here is an assumption that I'd think would ring true more often than not

When one is on a practice squad and a team comes a calling to put you on the regular roster you jump at the opportunity

The recruiting, is there is competition, would be up to the GM and/or coaches.

So either we didn't get it done or failed by not trying...from the looks of it

Patler
10-17-2010, 10:03 PM

When one is on a practice squad and a team comes a calling to put you on the regular roster you jump at the opportunity

I agree, that is the way it works most of the time. But there was an article (National Football Post???) about that very thing. An agent said that is where they earn their money, finding the best situation for a player even when it is the practice squad this year versus a dead end opportunity on a regular roster else where. For long term benefit, the player might be better off on a team's practice squad if they really like, appreciate and have plans for how to develop and use him. Somewhere else he might simply fill a roster spot, sort of like Nance has.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 10:05 PM

I agree, that is the way it works most of the time. But there was an article (National Football Post???) about that very thing. An agent said that is where they earn their money, finding the best situation for a player even when it is the practice squad this year versus a dead end opportunity on a regular roster else where. For long term benefit, the player might be better off on a team's practice squad if they really like, appreciate and have plans for how to develop and use him. Somewhere else he might simply fill a roster spot, sort of like Nance has.

Dejavu? You've answered this before....I know it.

MJZiggy
10-17-2010, 10:07 PM

I wonder if Nance is impressing the coaches less than we think he would be. I'd think if you have a viable weapon, you at least test it out some. Is it possible he's just not practicing well and they don't think he'd perform well come game time?

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 10:09 PM

I wonder if Nance is impressing the coaches less than we think he would be. I'd think if you have a viable weapon, you at least test it out some. Is it possible he's just not practicing well and they don't think he'd perform well come game time?

If you want to Nance - you gotta pay the band...

MichiganPackerFan
10-17-2010, 10:10 PM
What's the rule on practice squad acquisitions? Do they they have to be on the 53 for the remainder of the season or three games?