10-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Seriously?

Bossman641
10-10-2010, 04:23 PM
When it rains it pours :cry: :cry:

red
10-10-2010, 04:30 PM
yup, on that last throw when he took a helmet to helmet hit that got no flag

i'd say there's a good chance he doesn't play next week. then what the hell do we do, just have 1 QB on the roster?

finley says its not his knee he felt something weird in his hamstring

mathews said it wasn't a cramp, he pulled his hamstring again

Fritz
10-10-2010, 04:33 PM
This is getting ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

packerbacker1234
10-10-2010, 04:36 PM

i'd say there's a good chance he doesn't play next week. then what the hell do we do, just have 1 QB on the roster?

I don't know about "good chance". I think if we got the ball back agian there was a "good chance" he would of went back into that game. THey had camera's on him the entire time he as on the sideline and he wasn't even being looked at by the medical staff, so if he did get a concussion, it definitely was a minor one. Just one of those "you can feel a headache, but it's not bad".

AR will be fine. No need to overreact.

As for Matthews, I sort of knew it was his hammy. Even without people saying much you could see him standing and walking around the sideline - if he has a knee injury your not doing that. He simply restrained his hammy that he has had a problem with the last two years - nothing to get overly worried about. He's going to be day to day, and probable to play next week.

The real question is if that hammy is going to linger his entire career.

As for finely, lets wait for the MRI. COuld be bad, could just be a bruise or a tweak. I'm not overly worried since we were fine without him for a stretch last season, but that does mean donald lee has to get healthy, and the two rookies will need to step their game up.

imscott72
10-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Flynn was warming up at the end of the game for what it's worth. We'll have to see how the tests this week turn out.

denverYooper
10-10-2010, 04:42 PM

I don't know about "good chance". I think if we got the ball back agian there was a "good chance" he would of went back into that game. THey had camera's on him the entire time he as on the sideline and he wasn't even being looked at by the medical staff, so if he did get a concussion, it definitely was a minor one. Just one of those "you can feel a headache, but it's not bad".

Mostly agree. It's very possible they brought it up to say "hey, how about some protection for Rodgers here?" My opinion is possibly biased but it really seems we get the short end of the stick wrt helmet-to-helmet on the QB.

Iron Mike
10-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Is there a point at which we start looking at the Strength and Conditioning staff???

DannoMac21
10-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Is there a point at which we start looking at the Strength and Conditioning staff???

Absolutely.

denverYooper
10-10-2010, 04:45 PM

Definitely.

imscott72
10-10-2010, 04:48 PM
they have the same staff as last year. I think I heard Unit say a couple guys flip flopped positions, otherwise its exactly the same staff.

Joemailman
10-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Arod needs to get a helmet equipped with strobe lights or something that start flashing when someone makes contact with his helmet. Otherwise, apparently the refs will never see it.

CaliforniaCheez
10-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Bulaga with the Ole' on the jailbreak. Not a hand on anyone!

bobblehead
10-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Arod needs to get a helmet equipped with strobe lights or something that start flashing when someone makes contact with his helmet. Otherwise, apparently the refs will never see it.

This entire game was announced as if for Redskins fans. Every flag or nonflag Aikeman was debating from the redskins perspective. "Well, Bishop could have been flagged, he was a tad early. Well, I don't see calling holding on Washington there". It was like listening to Redskin fans in their living room.

Arod is never going to get a flag because the NFL is still mad at TT for not worshipping the jersey saleman from hell. The minute TT and MM decided they wouldn't give BF his release (told him to come on in and be the backup) and weren't going to start him, the NFL decided GB wouldn't get another call EVER!!!

mraynrand
10-10-2010, 05:19 PM

This entire game was announced as if for Redskins fans. Every flag or nonflag Aikeman was debating from the redskins perspective. "Well, Bishop could have been flagged, he was a tad early. Well, I don't see calling holding on Washington there". It was like listening to Redskin fans in their living room.

Arod is never going to get a flag because the NFL is still mad at TT for not worshipping the jersey saleman from hell. The minute TT and MM decided they wouldn't give BF his release (told him to come on in and be the backup) and weren't going to start him, the NFL decided GB wouldn't get another call EVER!!!

Damn, that is some awesome paranoia. But I have to agree to some extent. I've watched enough football to know that virtually every time a defender even touches a receiver with his back completely turned to the ball, it is called interference. Happened twice in the end zone today. Those non-calls made a huge difference.

mmmdk
10-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Greg Bedard on twitter:
Sure sounded like Finley and Matthews would be out at least a week to err on side of caution.

Badgerinmaine
10-10-2010, 07:45 PM
News story:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14108520/packers-say-qb-rodgers-received-concussion
I understand people's frustration with the injuries, but come on--there's no way different training staff is going to prevent concussions on helmet-to-helmet hits like the one Rodgers got.

curtis loew
10-10-2010, 07:48 PM
News story:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14108520/packers-say-qb-rodgers-received-concussion
I understand people's frustration with the injuries, but come on--there's no way different training staff is going to prevent concussions on helmet-to-helmet hits like the one Rodgers got.

Can they prevent hammy/shoulder/oblique/ankle etc injuries? I am really asking, not being a smart ass.

Badgerinmaine
10-10-2010, 07:51 PM
News story:

Can they prevent hammy/shoulder/oblique/ankle etc injuries? I am really asking, not being a smart ass.
A good staff might help reduce them compared to a poor staff, but every team gets some injuries. I'd want to see some sort of quantitative analysis on this question--how many injuries per team is an outlier?-- before I started pointing fingers.

imscott72
10-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Damn, that is some awesome paranoia. But I have to agree to some extent. I've watched enough football to know that virtually every time a defender even touches a receiver with his back completely turned to the ball, it is called interference. Happened twice in the end zone today. Those non-calls made a huge difference.

Please guys stop with the officiating. I remember a few things we should of been flagged for and weren't. I remember thinking we got a break there, and Shanny bitching up a storm to the refs about it. Sure the calls at the end were iffy, but that's going to happen when the Packers let every game come down to the final drive against a team less talented than they are.

Badgerinmaine
10-10-2010, 07:56 PM
(snip) Sure the calls at the end were iffy, but that's going to happen when the Packers let every game come down to the final drive against a team less talented than they are.
True that.

gbgary
10-10-2010, 07:58 PM

Please guys stop with the officiating. I remember a few things we should of been flagged for and weren't. I remember thinking we got a break there, and Shanny bitching up a storm to the refs about it. Sure the calls at the end were iffy, but that's going to happen when the Packers let every game come down to the final drive against a team less talented than they are.

it was poor for both teams. that's what happens when you let them play.

Deputy Nutz
10-10-2010, 08:24 PM
News story:

A good staff might help reduce them compared to a poor staff, but every team gets some injuries. I'd want to see some sort of quantitative analysis on this question--how many injuries per team is an outlier?-- before I started pointing fingers.

They are all good at the nfl level, these guys should damn well be doctors with what they know of the body. the bottom line is that Mathews has a weakness at that is his hamstring, at some point you have to wonder if he wrecked it in college and didn't allow proper recovery time and has caused a career long injury.

I didn't see the injury to Finely, but simply to point to the strength and conditioning staff so fans can find blame in someone or something is ridiculous. It is called "luck". None of these players held out or were out of shape, they have all participated since OTAs.

Little Whiskey
10-10-2010, 08:28 PM

They are all good at the nfl level, these guys should damn well be doctors with what they know of the body. the bottom line is that Mathews has a weakness at that is his hamstring, at some point you have to wonder if he wrecked it in college and didn't allow proper recovery time and has caused a career long injury.

I didn't see the injury to Finely, but simply to point to the strength and conditioning staff so fans can find blame in someone or something is ridiculous. It is called "luck". None of these players held out or were out of shape, they have all participated since OTAs.[/quote]

holy shit a nutz sighting!

pbmax
10-10-2010, 08:49 PM

Absolutely.
Yes, because each of the last three times we have changed strength and conditioning staff, things have gotten better. :roll:

2002 and this year were not the same staffs. And this is the second staff here, after too many injuries in 2008.

No matter what Head Coaches want you to believe, free weights or Nautilus machines will not prevent hamstring pulls, ankle sprains, concussions or dislocated hamstring ligaments. It happens. The Packers have had reasonable injury luck the last two season. Not this year.

bobblehead
10-10-2010, 08:56 PM

I'll say we got away with a couple today as well, and I don't really think they made the difference in the game, but we are now at THREE helmet hits on Rodgers without getting a single call. If that doesn't bother you, then I'm not sure what to say.

Also, I never once denied that after our superbowl seasons and for several years when we were competitive we got the benefit of many calls...MANY!

Now you can sit there and think that we should be so much more talented than our opponents that we can overcome being on the short end of many subjective calls, but again, that is pie in the sky. A clutch holding penatly to kill a drive. A call where Jordy tucked the ball inside the pylon that was called down at the one instead. (MM should have challenged, that was on him). A PI penalty that may be iffy to extend a drive. No team is that dominant in todays NFL.

Smidgeon
10-11-2010, 02:24 AM

I'll say we got away with a couple today as well, and I don't really think they made the difference in the game, but we are now at THREE helmet hits on Rodgers without getting a single call. If that doesn't bother you, then I'm not sure what to say.

Also, I never once denied that after our superbowl seasons and for several years when we were competitive we got the benefit of many calls...MANY!

Now you can sit there and think that we should be so much more talented than our opponents that we can overcome being on the short end of many subjective calls, but again, that is pie in the sky. A clutch holding penatly to kill a drive. A call where Jordy tucked the ball inside the pylon that was called down at the one instead. (MM should have challenged, that was on him). A PI penalty that may be iffy to extend a drive. No team is that dominant in todays NFL.

...a hold against the RT on Matthews in the end zone that should have been a safety...

vince
10-11-2010, 05:26 AM
In isolation, one or two of those calls might have changed the outcome of the game, but they weren't isolated. They were connected to the Bishop no-call PI, the Woodson no-call PI, the inexplicable hook on Crosby's last field goal attempt that doinked off the upright, Driver's drops, Lee's fumble, Finley's injury, 4th and goal, play calling, Matthews' injury, Bulaga likely got away with a hold or three, etc.

Everything that happened changed the game. Most of it was the coaches' and players' performance, not the refs.

Pugger
10-11-2010, 08:15 AM
The refs are gonna miss some calls but the abuse Rodgers has received in a few games is an abomination. Every other QB gets calls if someone hits them in the helmet/head except AR. :evil: I'm not surprised he got a concussion. I'm just shocked it hasn't happened before yesterday. :?

mraynrand
10-11-2010, 08:25 AM
In isolation, one or two of those calls might have changed the outcome of the game, but they weren't isolated. They were connected to the Bishop no-call PI, the Woodson no-call PI, the inexplicable hook on Crosby's last field goal attempt that doinked off the upright, Driver's drops, Lee's fumble, Finley's injury, 4th and goal, play calling, Matthews' injury, Bulaga likely got away with a hold or three, etc.

Everything that happened changed the game. Most of it was the coaches' and players' performance, not the refs.

Sure, I get that. In any tight game, you can identify many, many 'game-changing' plays, but all that makes the refs calls less palatable, not more. In overall comparison, they are just one, two, or three plays out of many that went badly for the Pack.

MJZiggy
10-11-2010, 08:41 AM
There were a few times in that game I was looking around for the laundry that MUST be littering the field. If I could see it from the top of the stadium, certainly they should see it right in front of them.

3irty1
10-11-2010, 08:49 AM
The officiating was terrible but like someone said above it was terrible both ways so it might have been the most fair game we've seen called so far this year.

MJZiggy
10-11-2010, 08:53 AM
The officiating was terrible but like someone said above it was terrible both ways so it might have been the most fair game we've seen called so far this year.

I don't know about that if you look at what was missed. Two pass interference calls in the end zone and attempting to behead your quarterback (not to mention the block in the back on one of their returns) are a little different than missing holding calls (and one PI on the sidelines).

pbmax
10-11-2010, 09:00 AM
...a hold against the RT on Matthews in the end zone that should have been a safety...
That one was horrendous. But the Tackle kept his hands and arms inside Matthews frame. He just had a great hold of the edge of his shoulder pads and it was one move or motion from being too obvious not to call.

pbmax
10-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Mr. Bedard earns his paycheck this week, even if this is proven to be wrong. Nice pick up.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/104704099.html

Did Rodgers Suffer Concussion Earlier In Game?

C A Y TD INT Rating
Before sneak 13 16 149 1 0 126.03
After sneak 14 30 144 0 1 47.1

channtheman
10-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Mr. Bedard earns his paycheck this week, even if this is proven to be wrong. Nice pick up.

C A Y TD INT Rating

While this is an interesting observation, I believe Rodgers had 5-8 passes dropped after the sneak. I think it was actually 8 if I remember after the sneak correctly. I think that had more of an effect on the poor play after that drive.

MadtownPacker
10-11-2010, 10:33 AM
the bottom line is that Mathews has a weakness at that is his hamstring, at some point you have to wonder if he wrecked it in college and didn't allow proper recovery time and has caused a career long injury.http://image16.webshots.com/17/3/72/73/186037273FUJCgM_fs.jpg

pbmax
10-11-2010, 10:34 AM

C A Y TD INT Rating

While this is an interesting observation, I believe Rodgers had 5-8 passes dropped after the sneak. I think it was actually 8 if I remember after the sneak correctly. I think that had more of an effect on the poor play after that drive.
Yes, there are multiple possible explanations, including Finley and second half adjustments. But his struggles did start in the 2nd Quarter, not just after the half.

3irty1
10-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I think the whole team including McCarthy had a concussion after the sneak.

gbgary
10-11-2010, 06:02 PM
anything on his concussion today? how bad? headaches? tests? whatnot?

imscott72
10-11-2010, 06:03 PM
anything on his concussion today? how bad? headaches? tests? whatnot?

No news today. They be waiting until tomorrow to test.

Bossman641
10-12-2010, 07:40 AM
At least one member of the Packers spoke up:

Flynn on Rodgers - "It was an illegal hit. It should have been called."

packerbacker1234
10-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Last i heard, Rodgers is "doubtful" for the next game, but wont be ruled out completely as he'll try and complete more tests later in the week. Flynn will be running the #1 offense all week.

pbmax
10-12-2010, 08:03 AM

We will find out if the NFL agrees. The Packers undoubtedly sent film in if they believe helmets collided and the defender will get fined. Doesn't help the result, but at least the issue will be decided.

Pugger
10-12-2010, 09:50 AM

Good for Flynn!!! What is shameful is this isn't the first time Rodgers has been hit in the head without a flag to be seen. I'm listening to WDUZ The Fan on the Internet this morning and a caller reminded us of the hit Urlacker gave Rodgers back in 2008 so this has been going on since he became our starter!

sheepshead
10-12-2010, 09:54 AM

Can I have permission to jerk off to your avatar?

Packers4Ever
10-12-2010, 12:28 PM

So where was McCarthy all this time? He never went to look at Arod
all the time the cameras were on him sitting on sidelines?
Never threw a flag when the contact occured?

Maybe he was sitting on it. :roll:

MichiganPackerFan
10-12-2010, 03:11 PM

We will find out if the NFL agrees. The Packers undoubtedly sent film in if they believe helmets collided and the defender will get fined. Doesn't help the result, but at least the issue will be decided.

I'm sure they sent or will send in film. However, the NFL is notorious for covering up for their officials and rarely admit to the full extent of their blown calls. The accountability of officiating is atrocious.

MadtownPacker
10-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Flynn on Rodgers - "It was an illegal hit. It should have been called."Of course he is gonna say that company line shit. But you know he was thinking "fuck ARod, Im finally gonna get in the mix!".

channtheman
10-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Flynn's first career start and the legend is born! Tune in Sunday for more.

pbmax
10-12-2010, 04:07 PM

I'm sure they sent or will send in film. However, the NFL is notorious for covering up for their officials and rarely admit to the full extent of their blown calls. The accountability of officiating is atrocious.
That's fantastic. However, the NFL has shown little compunction fining players for hits that were not flagged in the game. So we stand to get a good reading on how the NFL feels about the hit.

gbgary
10-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Flynn's first career start and the legend is born! Tune in Sunday for more.

oh god...not again. :D

Guiness
10-12-2010, 07:22 PM
This is the third significant occurrence of a 'helmet to helmet' hits on Rodgers this past year that went unpunished. The three that I'm talking about are the Arizona game in OT, the Bears game a couple of weeks ago, and now this hit against the Redskins.

Is it something Rodgers is doing that is putting him in a position to receive these hits? Or is the fact that he doesn't seem to get the calls preventing the D from being careful when going after him?

mmmdk
10-12-2010, 08:11 PM
How can AR plays cards with Flynn on flight back from DC and not play sunday vs Fins? :lol:

pbmax
10-12-2010, 09:08 PM
How can AR plays cards with Flynn on flight back from DC and not play sunday vs Fins? :lol:
It was Old Maid.

John Clayton reported that Rodgers has less than a 50% chance of playing Sunday. Bedard almost flat called him on pulling percentages out of his hindquarters.

Bedard: http://twitter.com/Greg_A_Bedard/status/27137695835

Clayton, as reported by some Dolphins guy: http://twitter.com/BenVolinPBP/status/27137423867

Tarlam!
10-12-2010, 11:32 PM
OK, we all knew this would be the worst case scenario going back to when TT only had two QBs on the roster. If you all recall, the first time Rodgers replaced #4 ( I think in Dallas) he broke his foot and was IRed. I think his second opportunity also led to injury and many of us, me included were concerned he might be good, but brittle. Turns out he's a tough son of a gun. I still maintain he was concussed on the QB sneak, but I'm no MD.

After watching him in the pre-season, I am confident that Flynn has the ability to win games. Yet, with Flynn not having played, he can't be in football shape. Can he handle 5-6 sacks and stay on the field?

Will M3 resort to a non existant run game to protect Flynn's exposure?

Who is Flynn's backup on Sunday?

What are correct Powerball numbers for this week's draw?

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2010, 08:15 AM
It was Old Maid.

John Clayton reported that Rodgers has less than a 50% chance of playing Sunday. Bedard almost flat called him on pulling percentages out of his hindquarters.

Clayton, as reported by some Dolphins guy: http://twitter.com/BenVolinPBP/status/27137423867

That's pretty funny on the part of Bedard

Patler
10-13-2010, 09:27 AM
It was Old Maid.

I wonder if Clayton's comment was based on averages since the new concussion protocol has been put into place? If more then half the players miss at least one game, therefore Rodgers has less than a 50% chance of playing?

mraynrand
10-13-2010, 09:56 AM

Indian Guts! (Errr, sorry, for the progressives it's "Native American Intestines")

http://image28.webshots.com/28/0/75/28/249607528uZMDGK_ph.jpg

denverYooper
10-13-2010, 10:41 AM
It was Old Maid.

Makes for better drama if Rodgers comes back this week.

mraynrand
10-13-2010, 10:55 AM
It was Old Maid.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20090211/fbn-jets-favre-retires/images/8071cd5a-6887-4956-80eb-72d9eb255cf4.jpg

denverYooper
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Rotoworld is reporting that Rodgers will address Miami media today and that it's a good sign of Rodgers's availability for Sunday.

hoosier
10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Great to hear that Rodgers might be available on Sunday. I think. But are the Packers even going to be able to find 22 guys on the roster who are healthy enough to play? I would never have expected to see the Packers's season go down the toilet in the first five weeks the way this one has.

mraynrand
10-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Great to hear that Rodgers might be available on Sunday. I think. But are the Packers even going to be able to find 22 guys on the roster who are healthy enough to play? I would never have expected to see the Packers's season go down the toilet in the first five weeks the way this one has.

I swear to you, they are not finished yet....Don't believe in the no-win scenario

imscott72
10-13-2010, 12:00 PM

I swear to you, they are not finished yet....Don't believe in the no-win scenario

Well with Finley lost too now, my confidence is really starting to waiver. At some point we have to be realistic about all this. This isn't even close to a Superbowl team with half the damn starters missing. It's prob time to start looking to next season. Don't give up any draft picks.

retailguy
10-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Well with Finley lost too now, my confidence is really starting to waiver. At some point we have to be realistic about all this. This isn't even close to a Superbowl team with half the damn starters missing. It's prob time to start looking to next season. Don't give up any draft picks.

Don't worry, we don't do that type of thing in Green Bay. Higher than a 6th anyhow.

The young guys will step up. McCarthy's teams always play better at the end of the season anyhow.

Honestly, if you look at his tenure, it's GREAT in the odd years and bad in the even years. Next year (11), look the fuck out. 16-0 baby! :D

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2010, 12:26 PM

It's frustrating because of the non-stop injuries and because there might not even be a season next year. I'm glad TT has the cupboard stocked, but I just dont see how we can compete with the best teams with SO many players out. 8-8 seems like a long shot and if we're not going to get into the playoffs, isn't a 4 to 6 win season (even though painful) better for the draft?

retailguy
10-13-2010, 12:32 PM

It's frustrating because of the non-stop injuries and because there might not even be a season next year. I'm glad TT has the cupboard stocked, but I just dont see how we can compete with the best teams with SO many players out. 8-8 seems like a long shot and if we're not going to get into the playoffs, isn't a 4 to 6 win season (even though painful) better for the draft?

But tanking the season is bad for morale. I will never see the point of that, or agree with it. Look at the Lions. Can't win a game to save their lives but really not a horrible team at all.

Let's compete, let's play and let the chips fall where they may.

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2010, 12:47 PM

But tanking the season is bad for morale. I will never see the point of that, or agree with it. Look at the Lions. Can't win a game to save their lives but really not a horrible team at all.

Let's compete, let's play and let the chips fall where they may.

I agree there's validity to that. But isn't a non-AJ Hawk top ten (Raji) a morale booster when it contributes to wins when the team is healthy again?

sharpe1027
10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Unless they redo the rookie salary structure, the top picks might be viewed as more damaging than helpful. By picking in the middle of the round, problematic picks like Harrell don't end up with salary implications like J. Russell. Sure, you can try to trade down, but it seems less teams are willing to move up.

In any event, I don't feel that there is much of an incentive to throw games.

mraynrand
10-13-2010, 01:41 PM

Don't worry, we don't do that type of thing in Green Bay. Higher than a 6th anyhow.

Except to occasionally move up in the draft (Matthews, Burnett). I say save the picks, since you will probably spend too much for too little and who knows, maybe you will need that pick to move up in next year's draft to get another blue chip player like Matthews.

retailguy
10-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Except to occasionally move up in the draft (Matthews, Burnett). I say save the picks, since you will probably spend too much for too little and who knows, maybe you will need that pick to move up in next year's draft to get another blue chip player like Matthews.

I agree with you.

I don't believe that you can trade for anyone that makes a meaningful difference right now.

Trading up? Don't know, don't care. Wasn't my point. My point was we don't have a track record for trading picks for players, and that isn't likely to change.

sharpe1027
10-13-2010, 03:04 PM
I agree with you.

I don't believe that you can trade for anyone that makes a meaningful difference right now.

Trading up? Don't know, don't care. Wasn't my point. My point was we don't have a track record for trading picks for players, and that isn't likely to change.

Yeah. Apparently, they've tried to swing trades for players but they really suck at it because the only one I remember actually going through was Grant.

retailguy
10-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I agree with you.

Yeah. Apparently, they've tried to swing trades for players but they really suck at it because the only one I remember actually going through was Grant.

I have no idea if they "suck" at it or not. Again, wasn't my point.

Trades are certainly not part of the core ideology though. So maybe Ted undervalues the market? Again, no idea. we just don't trade for players. (pretty much period).

mraynrand
10-13-2010, 03:22 PM

I agree with you.

Well, it is part of your point, since if you blow picks trading now, you won't have them to move up. But, you and I agree that it's unlikely TT will use them and I think it's for the better.

sharpe1027
10-13-2010, 03:37 PM
I agree that they probably won't but...

After the first few drafts people said TT would never trade up, yet he's done it successfully since then.

Who's to say that they wouldn't trade draft picks for players? We know that they've tried several times in the past. They don't have any big issue with the concept, even if they didn't successfully pull it off.

hoosier
10-13-2010, 04:07 PM
In the absence of Finley and Grant on offense, and Jolly, Barnett, Burnett, Harris and Bigby on defense, and with severe declines in the play of guys like Woodson and Tauscher, a 6-10 record is seeming pretty realistic right now. Especially given the tough remaining schedule. 6-10 would also put the Packers in a high but not-too-high spot in the draft order, keeping them just barely out of the top 7 or 8. So no need for them to corrupt their soul by tanking, as that would only saddle them with some untested rookie slated for an outrageous contract. But damn, while I respect the never-say-die sentiment and agree with it to a certain point, it sure does suck to know that realistically the Packers' playoff fate is sealed with two and a half months of games remaining.

denverYooper
10-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Silverstein reported today that Rodgers took the majority of snaps in practice today. Seems he's ok.

MadtownPacker
10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Silverstein reported today that Rodgers took the majority of snaps in practice today. Seems he's ok.What I was waiting to hear. Got homeboy on two FF leagues.

denverYooper
10-14-2010, 11:57 AM
There was some discussion on Twitter today between Nagler, Bedard, Will Carroll, and some others whether or not Rodgers actually had a concussion or if it was faked in order to draw attention to the lack of helmet-to-helmet calls on him.

Speculation (qua conspiracy) hinged on the fact that Rodgers was seeing and "Independent Neurologist" today and no one knew that doctor's name. So they speculated it could have been made up. A discussion of HIPAA rights as they apply (or, actually, don't apply) to the NFL ensued. The fact that HIPAA rights don't apply to the NFL preclude that as a reason for the doctor's identity being obscure.

Personally, I feel that he probably just had a minor concussion and this borders on conspiracy fancy but it is interesting to ponder.

woodbuck27
10-14-2010, 12:01 PM

AR will be fine. No need to overreact.

As for Matthews, I sort of knew it was his hammy. Even without people saying much you could see him standing and walking around the sideline - if he has a knee injury your not doing that. He simply restrained his hammy that he has had a problem with the last two years - nothing to get overly worried about. He's going to be day to day, and probable to play next week.

The real question is if that hammy is going to linger his entire career.

As for finely, lets wait for the MRI. COuld be bad, could just be a bruise or a tweak. I'm not overly worried since we were fine without him for a stretch last season, but that does mean donald lee has to get healthy, and the two rookies will need to step their game up.

nice post. Thanks

gbgary
10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
great news on him taking most of the snaps!! any fines levied on that hit?

woodbuck27
10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Silverstein reported today that Rodgers took the majority of snaps in practice today. Seems he's ok.What I was waiting to hear. Got homeboy on two FF leagues.

Cool. Aaron Rodgers it seems to me is the identity of our team and he's gotta be an inspiration to the other Packers as well.

GO PACKERS!

MadtownPacker
10-14-2010, 12:16 PM
great news on him taking most of the snaps!! any fines levied on that hit?Thats a good question. Shit, did the cardinal that nailed him at the end of OT in last seasons playoff game get fined?

Guiness
10-14-2010, 01:08 PM
great news on him taking most of the snaps!! any fines levied on that hit?Thats a good question. Shit, did the cardinal that nailed him at the end of OT in last seasons playoff game get fined?

No, he wasn't - that would've involved the league admitting it was a blown call, and the wrong team went to the next round...

There's a 15yd penalty on that play, and the outcome is different. Not quite as bad as Testaverde's helmet TD, but not that far from it either.

channtheman
10-14-2010, 01:34 PM

No, he wasn't - that would've involved the league admitting it was a blown call, and the wrong team went to the next round...

There's a 15yd penalty on that play, and the outcome is different. Not quite as bad as Testaverde's helmet TD, but not that far from it either.

What is upsetting about that play (and yeah I'm beating a dead horse but the topic has been brought up already) is that if that same hit had happened to Brady or Manning you know they would have gotten the call. Hell, I think most QB's in the league would have gotten that call. For whatever reason, the refs like to turn the other way when Rodgers is the QB.

Pugger
10-14-2010, 08:18 PM
And this lack of 'protection' afforded to Rodgers is one of my biggest beefs. As you said, the Washington game isn't the first time Rodgers has been hit in the head and until MM and company make more of a big deal about it - fines be damned - this will continue.

pbmax
10-14-2010, 10:57 PM
ALERT: Greg Bedard May Have Been Right, Apocalypse To Start Friday Morning at 2:00 AM CDT.

From the JSO, Silverstein, dated Oct. 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/105001679.html)

By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/105001679.html)[/b]]But Rodgers admitted Thursday that he wasn't feeling quite right before that hit and it wasn't until the last play that it became clear to the medical staff that he had suffered head trauma.

"The final hit definitely increased what I was feeling, but having never had a concussion before, it was definitely a learning process to understand how my body feels," Rodgers said. "Obviously, I've been dinged in the head a number of times, everything from in high school seeing the stars and stuff to the different shots you take along the way.

pbmax
10-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Lori Nickel turns Aaron Rodgers quote about this being his "first concussion" almost into a statement of fact by mentioning those words as the link to the article with no quotes. (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/105018924.html)

This, despite the fact that Rodgers admits he has gotten "dinged" and "saw stars" before. Which would mean he has had prior concussions, but has never referred to them as such.

Perhaps JSO and Aaron should read the NFL poster on concussions:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/09/poster.jpg

woodbuck27
10-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Our teams coaching staff is evaluating how to better utilize WR Greg Jennings. I believe they will accomplish that as a positve result.

Has MM grown in his style of coaching or learned from mistakes or style of being our teams HC? MM calls offensive plays and our Rodgers led offense secures a solid lead in the game. My observation is that MM goes into conservative mode, after out team secures a comfortable lead and our team secures a close win or the opposition gets a come from behind win. The game seeming secure, becomes too close for comfort or is stolen from us. This has been a theme we have seen more or less since MM has become 'the Packers' HC.

Why?

I don't know how Ted Thompson evaluates his HC and coaching staff throughout a season...season to season? I'm not qualified to criticize TT.

As a a dedicated Green Bay Packer and NFL fan. I desire success for my team. I set goals related to my progress as an NFL fan. I expect the same from TT and MM and his coaching staff.

As a teacher/leader/manager I've evaluated growth/progress based in goal setting. A basic approach towords success or ' the report card ' has worked for me as an evaluation tool of goal setting. I hold that no manager,coach,player should be allowed a free run. Then evaluated after contract tenure. Evaluation's a preogressive dynamic process towords seeing success in terms of goal setting.

Do TT and MM utilize a similiar basic approach towords securing Green Bay Packer success in terms of wins?

OUR team is presently under fire in terms of adversity. I ask myself....are TT and MM (coachinf staff) working day to day to realistically re-evaluate goals? I believe they are. I remain optimistic. Our team is in a solid position to secure a playoff spot. It remains to be seen if that result determines progress over 2009 results.

I have not felt that our team was set to win a Super Bowl this season. The pieces are not in place until we see them in terms of results. May we see them in 2010? I wait patiently for that. :)

GO PACKERS!

woodbuck27
10-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Concern: Concussion Symptoms

Why should anyone in Pro Sports ... report symptoms of a possible concussion? In relation to a positive diagnosis of a concussion. What is the responsible follow-up?

Aaron Rodgers has passed the initial tests, but the recovery process is ongoing.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/105001679.html

woodbuck27 ... Maybe? ... question yourself:

Hypothetically. Your the HC of the Green Bay Packers.

Would you have rested Aaron Rodgers outright Vs Miami? or Gone with exactly what we are seeing planed based on the decisions Re: A. Rodgers to date, and since he was removed fr. last Sunday's Packers @ Washington game?

GO PACKERS!

Tarlam!
10-15-2010, 10:21 AM

Would you have rested Aaron Rodgers outright Vs Miami? or Gone with exactly what we are seeing planed based on the decisions Re: A. Rodgers to date, and since he was removed fr. last Sunday's Packers @ Washington game?

Firstly, I am of the firm belief that the QB sneak he called on 3rd down is where he took the shot. If I am HC, I never call that play unless it's life and death. As I posted before, the commentary out of the booth after that play was that Rodgers looked very shaken up.

On the very next play, he throws an uncharacteristically poor pass that hits the defender in the helmet.

Now, was he showing signs of being concussed? If not, he still gives you the best chance to win and I send him out. If so, no way do I risk the greatest asset to The Packers that they'll have over 10-15 years (knock on wood).

I don''t believe he was/is conconcussed, despite his poor pass ratio post the QB sneak. He was definitely shaken and had happy feet, but that's pretty understandable the way Clifton was playing.

I believe M3 was lobbying for Rodgers to get more protection from the league in the most diplomatic way possible.

woodbuck27
10-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Firstly, I am of the firm belief that the QB sneak he called on 3rd down is where he took the shot. If I am HC, I never call that play unless it's life and death. As I posted before, the commentary out of the booth after that play was that Rodgers looked very shaken up.

On the very next play, he throws an uncharacteristically poor pass that hits the defender in the helmet.

Now, was he showing signs of being concussed? If not, he still gives you the best chance to win and I send him out. If so, no way do I risk the greatest asset to The Packers that they'll have over 10-15 years (knock on wood).

I don''t believe he was/is conconcussed, despite his poor pass ratio post the QB sneak. He was definitely shaken and had happy feet, but that's pretty understandable the way Clifton was playing.

I believe M3 was lobbying for Rodgers to get more protection from the league in the most diplomatic way possible.

Solid observation, analysis and follow -up Tarlam!

Peace Packer fan. :)

GO PACK!

denverYooper
10-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Agree 100%

bobblehead
10-15-2010, 10:59 AM

I clearly said that in this game the refs were not the difference in the entirety. I am merely pissed about our QB taking uncalled head shots.

In many other games the refs have been the difference. And the Bishop play was classic scrape and roll....the way the coaches teach it. That play is NEVER PI unless you get there blatantly early.

Badgerinmaine
10-15-2010, 11:07 AM
The latest news from JSO looks good, but I hope the Packers are being very careful here:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/105001679.html

packerbacker1234
10-15-2010, 11:20 AM
I do agree that MM has taken the best political approach to calling out the headshots AR is taking without flags. It's not like it just happened once, it's happened several times with no calls... calls that other QB's are getting.

However, political approaches don't get a lot of media attention - in fact, the media sort of let it lie that AR took a helmet to helmet the play before the fumble/int return for a TD... despite the blatent hit.

Until this concussion, there wasn't much attention payed to the helmet to helmet hits AR keeps taking, and really, it doesn't seem that there has been any more attention since, specifcally since everything points to AR not being in real danger of missing game, unlike Kolb.

Kolb's concussion was obvious the moment it happened. AR's was minor, and something he would have to speak up about for anyone to know he had it. He said so himself that he has to be 100% honest with the staff about his injury.

I understand why helmet to helmet hits are not allowed. They aren't allowed really on any palyer, with teh QB being highlighted due to the late and "high" hits they often take. But at some point it just gets rediculous.

Credit to AR's head and body for reacting well, and stuff like this does, indeed, make what manning and a favre are doing (in terms of never missing starts) even more impressive, since you're always one hit away, and there are so many different ways you can be hit to make that happen.

If I was a coach, and he was medically and physically able to perform, I would play him, but you HAVE to monitor him closely. If he looks even a tad woosy after a hit, or hsi throws all become widely innacurate at some point - you have to pull him. With things being cut back in practice, you wont really know if he is completely over it till he gets some live game action.

Tarlam!
10-15-2010, 11:24 AM
The latest news from JSO looks good, but I hope the Packers are being very careful here.

Yeah, so at best it was a mild concussion. It's easy to claim after the 'Skins score that he was removed from the game - there weren't any more Packer snaps, so, we don't really know if that's true or just semantics.

The sheer speed of the "recovery" is nothing short of astonishing. So, while I may be way off base and The Packers may be telling the truth, I don't buy any of it.

To me, this is a (commendable) approach to drawing attention to the fact tha Rodgers is getting unfairly creamed and the refs aren't doing their jobs protecting him. More power to them for playing it politically correct, yet on the front page.

pbmax
10-15-2010, 12:09 PM
No fine yet for the perpetrator on Rodgers last pass. What is the best video link you have to watch the play again?

pbmax
10-15-2010, 12:13 PM
The Army has developed a blood test for concussions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/15/new-blood-test-is-good-news-possible-bad-news-for-football/

gbgary
10-15-2010, 12:58 PM
No fine yet for the perpetrator on Rodgers last pass. What is the best video link you have to watch the play again?

here it is...at 3:30 of the vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sar2oh8ajI

denverYooper
10-15-2010, 03:09 PM

#Redskins DL Jeremy Jarmon was fined $5,000 for the hit that concussed Rodgers.

The official word: Jarmon "unnecessarily struck QB in head area." Rodgers got a concussion; 15-yard penalty would've erased INT.

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2010/10/15/redskins-jarmon-fined-for-hit-on-rodgers/

pbmax
10-15-2010, 03:52 PM

here it is...at 3:30 of the vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sar2oh8ajI
Thanks gary. That is the same highlight video I saw at NFL.com, but could not get it to show the hit that clearly. For some reason, the You Tube player does.

Bossman641
10-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Don't believe this has been posted here but Jarmon was fined for his hit on Rodgers - $5,000.

Fritz
10-15-2010, 07:41 PM
So you can fine a guy who didn't even get a penalty called on him. Okay.

Guiness
10-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Holy sh!t - that's the first time I've seen that.

I would think the refs are going to be called onto the carpet for that one. Let me get this straight: the defensive player left his feet, jumping into Rodgers, made helmet to helmet contact...and there was no call?????

Joemailman
10-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Last year Bertrand Berry of Arizona was fined for a helmet hit against Rodgers that...wait a minute...didn't get called by the ref. :whaa:

denverYooper
10-15-2010, 09:10 PM
I'll tell you what I'm blathering about... I've got information man! New shit has come to light! And shit... man

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/blog/2010/04/14/the_big_lebowski___jeff_bridges1.jpg

pbmax
10-15-2010, 09:10 PM

I would think the refs are going to be called onto the carpet for that one. Let me get this straight: the defensive player left his feet, jumping into Rodgers, made helmet to helmet contact...and there was no call?????
Guiness, just read PFT each Wed-Fri. It happens EVERY week, flag or no. I am sure the officials are made aware of it via the video updates they get, but I am not kidding when I say this has happened 20 times since the start of last year in the regular season games. Not so sure about playoffs.

pbmax
10-15-2010, 09:14 PM

Guiness, just read PFT each Wed-Fri. It happens EVERY week, flag or no. I am sure the officials are made aware of it via the video updates they get, but I am not kidding when I say this has happened 20 times since the start of last year in the regular season games. Not so sure about playoffs.
OK, PFT says its usually late Friday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/15/your-week-six-fines-roundup/