PDA

View Full Version : The Goods

Deputy Nutz
10-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Well Packer fans, what can I say? First, Rodgers looks a bit panicked this year. Maybe it was the pressure of a Super Bowl, maybe it has to do with the loss of Ryan Grant and several other key members of the Green Bay Packers. Now with the loss of his safety net in J. Finely he looked completely lost in the second half of today's game. His offensive line has been less than average at times this year, certainly not to the poor play of last year, but Rodgers does get happy feet and does run himself into sacks. He certainly doesn't have 100% faith in his offensive line and it showed today. His line also blew several assignments to the blitz happy Redskins.

Speaking of the blitz happy Redskins, it is easy for a defense at this level to attack a one demensional offense. The Packers ran the ball once for every 5 times they threw the ball, funny that they actually ran the ball today better than any other game up to this point. McCarthy is a pass happy play caller, simply passing the ball makes him feel smarter, ala Mike Martz, rather than putting together an offense that makes "hay" running the football and then capitalizing on play action. Maybe I am being a bit critical of Mike McCarthy, but honestly I think he was a pleased just a bit when Grant went down so he had an excuse to throw the ball 50 times a game.

Where are the Packers' wide receivers? The Packers are said to have the best receiving corps in the NFL and they completely disappeared today with Donald Drive dropping several football which is certainly becoming an unfortunate problem for the NFL veteran.

The Packers defense and Dom Capers should be applauded for their effort. They were without or lost a total of 8 key contributors on defense, and they kept their intensity for 4 quarters. This is the age of offense in the NFL and long passes and pass interference is something that every team is going to have to get used to. The play of Bishop was good enough, he is an excellent blitzer and pairing him with AJ Hawk makes a good combination of pure energy and athleticsm and assignment sure technique. Hawk played his best game of the season. He was able to get into the flow of the game without having to substitue with Chillar, he will never be a good blitzer but he was better at attacking the line of scrimmage and also had a very good game in coverage helping keep Chris Cooley in check.

Well the "Goods", the Super Bowl contenders at this point are still only contenders, to many injuries at this point, and simply an offense that was supposed to lead this team to the promise land is just too inconsistent. The special teams are again a sore spot on this team, with the one bright spot of Tramon Williams returning kicks. Infact Tramon Williams is having a breakout season, his play has been superb. With all of the question marks this team still has the talent to make a push for the playoffs and if they get healthy at the right time they can still contend for a championship, but the offense has to get on the same page in the next several weeks otherwise they will dig themselves a hole that they can't get out of.

bobblehead
10-10-2010, 09:03 PM
seems we both posted bitching about 13 running calls at about the same time.

Deputy Nutz
10-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Oh I don't bitch anymore, I watch all games from a critical perch. I no longer have health problems on Sundays.

Little Whiskey
10-10-2010, 09:08 PM

Oh I don't bitch anymore, I watch all games from a critical perch. I no longer have health problems on Sundays.

Booooooo!

retailguy
10-10-2010, 09:08 PM
good analysis nutz. tough to argue with most of your points.

let's let the young guys develop. there's always next year, if there is no lockout.

too many injuries at this point. finley, barnett & chillar really hurt. we were OK until then. even if finley is back in a few weeks, it's a few weeks too long.

Deputy Nutz
10-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Finely is a killer, especially with the Vikings game coming up. Everyone knows that the two games against the Vikings are critical, and the Vikings play tomorrow, but it seems that the Vikings are on the climb up while the Packers have stumbled down the mountain.

Finely is Rodgers warm comforting blanket and without it he can't seem to remember how to run an offense.

pbmax
10-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Your critical perch would look more even-handed if you had posted a recap after one of the three wins as well Nutz.

red
10-10-2010, 09:16 PM
what was the time of possession in the second half

everytime the defense got to come of the field the offense would then go 3 or 4 and out and force the d right back out there

you could tell the guys were gassed at the end. no subs, and time off

can't blame this loss on the D IMO. this was all piss poor play calling and execution on offense that lost this one

Deputy Nutz
10-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Your critical perch would look more even-handed if you had posted a recap after one of the three wins as well Nutz.

This was the first game I was able to sit down and watch all the way through instead of bits and pieces of, or listening to it on the radio. I did watch the Bears game, can't say I did a write up on that loss, no write up on the crushing two point win of the Lions.

I simply don't care any more about the Favre/Packer shit any more. I thought this week was going to be a make or break game against the Skins, and I have to say when the offense needed to show up and win a ball game it failed. Especially when the defense was so banged up and needed a lift, it was the unit that actually cared the Packers today.

pbmax
10-10-2010, 09:40 PM

everytime the defense got to come of the field the offense would then go 3 or 4 and out and force the d right back out there

can't blame this loss on the D IMO. this was all piss poor play calling and execution on offense that lost this one
TOP wasn't the problem in the second half.

Packers: 13:42 (1H), 17:00 (2H), 1:58 (OT)

Redskins: 16:18 (1H), 13:00 (2H), 4:56 (OT)

retailguy
10-10-2010, 09:42 PM

PB - you've been shooting down every theory about what went wrong tonight. So, what do you think happened? Accept my apology if you've already posted this, I haven't seen it. Just point me to it.

pbmax
10-10-2010, 09:53 PM

PB - you've been shooting down every theory about what went wrong tonight. So, what do you think happened? Accept my apology if you've already posted this, I haven't seen it. Just point me to it.
Everything went wrong. Fix any two of them and the Packers win.

In red's defense, the pass rushers looked gasses because they were spinning their wheels while McNabb had six seconds to throw in the 2nd half. But that had more to do with Matthews being out than TOP.

On offense, Rodgers could not read the pressure, esp. in second half and that made him hurry. McCarthy could not find a way to produce first downs. I agree he should have stayed with the run (with the lead, on the road, just to milk clock) but I am not sure that would have produced longer drives or better red zone as the Packers could not convert 3rd and whatever. He also should have taken the FG in the 1st Q. Still with fewer possessions/time, maybe Wash doesn't catch up.

Special teams had two good returns but gave up long returns again and had a penalty. Crosby missed two FGs (46 and 52). Hit either one and its a different game.

I think Rodgers did not know what to do when he went extra protection and did not have Finley in the route. Driver and Jennings were not helping their cause in the first half either.

I find it hard to assign blame to the defense for this one, except, penalties that gave the Redskins first downs. That kept two Skin drives alive.

mmmdk
10-10-2010, 09:54 PM
When I read the title of the thread I thought some new cocky BF pictures had been released. :lol: Sorry!

mmmdk
10-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Great post, Nutz - I agree.

pbmax
10-10-2010, 09:56 PM
If I had to guess, the Redskins keyed on the Packers protection calls. They sent pressure from the side that did not get help. In the one case where Rodgers changed protection and made them pay, he got the outside blocker down with Jackson by moving him out of the backfield and as the line slid toward center (Bulaga to Sitton to Wells), they were able to pick up the extra middle blitzer.

mraynrand
10-10-2010, 11:41 PM
This is the age of offense in the NFL and long passes and pass interference is something that every team is going to have to get used to.

I have to laugh at this. Saw the highlights from the Broncos-Raven bout, in which Cox from the Broncos drew a PI penalty in the endzone. Never turned his head to look for the ball, and drew minimal or no contact. Looked even lighter than the TWO, yes TWO PI penalties not called on Washington in the endzone. Add in holding on Matthews and some cheap bullshit both ways, and you have maddening inconsistency in the way PI penalties - or penalties at all - are called.

But, Crosby missed two FGs. He could have won the game. He didn't. How many game winning FGs has Crosby hit? How many has he missed (Patler?). One go#$%dam *ucking FG to win a miserable *ucking game.

Bossman641
10-10-2010, 11:44 PM
But, Crosby missed two FGs. He could have won the game. He didn't. How many game winning FGs has Crosby hit? How many has he missed (Patler?). One go#$%dam *ucking FG to win a miserable *ucking game.

1/4

"Crosby’s other last-second chances for game-winners came in 2007, when in his first NFL game he made a 42-yarder with 2 seconds left that beat Philadelphia 16-13; and in 2008, when he had a 38-yarder blocked in the final seconds of an eventual overtime loss to Chicago, and missed a 52-yarder against Minnesota in a 28-27 loss at the Metrodome."

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101010/PKR01/101010044/Notebook-Crosby-within-inches-of-winning-game-in-regulation

vince
10-11-2010, 06:04 AM
On offense, Rodgers could not read the pressure, esp. in second half and that made him hurry.

[...]

I think Rodgers did not know what to do when he went extra protection and did not have Finley in the route. Driver and Jennings were not helping their cause in the first half either.
Good points. I think these were the biggest keys to the game in the end. A lot of things didn't go perfectly, but the offense's lack of productivity was the biggest problem IMO.

vince
10-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Bedard is advancing the theory that Rodgers was concussed earlier in the game, perhaps on the sneak in the second quarter.

before the sneak he was 13 of 16, 149 yards, 1 TD. After: 14 of 30, 144, 0 TDs, 1 INT.

mraynrand
10-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Bedard is advancing the theory that Rodgers was concussed earlier in the game, perhaps on the sneak in the second quarter.

before the sneak he was 13 of 16, 149 yards, 1 TD. After: 14 of 30, 144, 0 TDs, 1 INT.

They said something about him being a little loopy right after that play. In the NFL today, with your QB being so valuable, you should only sneak 'em if you are totally desperate - fourth down, game on the line kinda stuff.

Little Whiskey
10-11-2010, 08:18 AM

They said something about him being a little loopy right after that play. In the NFL today, with your QB being so valuable, you should only sneak 'em if you are totally desperate - fourth down, game on the line kinda stuff.

especially since they dive head first into the line.

Tarlam!
10-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Yah, I posted the same opinion on another thread. It was a disgusting call. Then he goes out and hits the defender on the back of the helmet on the 4th down.

He was definitely looby after the sneak.