PDA

View Full Version : Winners and Losers

pbmax
10-10-2010, 09:03 PM
I am not going to do a complete list because if I relived the game I would kick my computer screen in.

But I do want to salute the defense. They did an admirable job after being very shorthanded and then losing Pickett and Matthews.

And I would highlight Bishop, Peprah and Bush for kudos.

Bishop because he rang some bells, made a beeline for the QB when blitzing (and usually unblocked) and only blew one coverage that I saw.

Peprah, because he was everywhere making good tackles. He had one coverage blunder (a big one) but then later played a similar pattern very well.

Bush, because I did not hear his name called for a penalty and didn't see him miss something entirely. Not bad for switching back to safety.

retailguy
10-10-2010, 09:06 PM
tramon williams continued a fantastic season.

Pat lee had a massive blunder to open the game, but had a nice pass defense in the end zone.

red
10-10-2010, 09:07 PM
i'll give bishop his props. i've never been a big fan of his, but he stepped up today when we needed him and looked pretty damn good

peprah also played good like you said

bush can go rot in hell

ND72
10-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I actually thought our entire defense played very well until Clay was out. Very noticeable how good he is when he's not in there. Bishop blitzed well, Hawk tackled well, Matthews looked insane, and the combination of Jones/Zombo/Poop seemed pretty decent as well. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but BJ Raji is insane...I mean just awesom! If Jenkins had 2 healthy hands he'd probably have 6 sacks as well this year. Hopefully Pickett & Clay are back next week.

OS PA
10-10-2010, 09:13 PM
BJ Raji played a hell of a game

Quarless looked pretty decent for being thrown in as the #1 TE after the 1st quarter

pbmax
10-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah, Raji looks like everything you would want. he had a crazy penetration at the end of the game for a 3 yard loss on the RB. I am not sure about the run D out of nickel, but that could be for reasons other than him.

Popp looked like a world beater on an inside blitz, but he gets nowhere from off the edge rushing.

Neal showed some things too.

MJZiggy
10-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Winners and losers? I'll just say this: If I ever meet Daryn Colledge, I'm going to kick him in the balls so hard, he'll be singing soprano for a week.

digitaldean
10-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Bishop had 10 tackles in the first half alone. I'd give kudos to the D for the most part, only exception are the bonehead PI/contact penalties.

Coaching gets the thumbs down for not adjusting to Wash. D's desparation blitzes. They worked. Abandonment of the running game when we FINALLY get a 100+ yd performance from a RB.

The WRs, specifically DD get a thumbs down. 4 drops are infreakingexcusable!

The 2 kicks by Crosby missed are a thumbs down. Long distance, yes, but they still affected the game. The last one in regulation just made my heart sink. Wash. had the momentum and I had a bad feeling heading into OT. Special teams allowed a couple big returns and nearly had 12 men on the field.

pbmax
10-10-2010, 09:17 PM
I think Sherman and Favre played a Gregg Williams defense twice (once for Buffalo and the other with the Skins) and each time I got the feeling that they never really figured out what the D was doing.

I got that same sense today against Haslett. Especially, but not exclusively, in the first half. EDIT: should be in the SECOND half.

ND72
10-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Winners and losers? I'll just say this: If I ever meet Daryn Colledge, I'm going to kick him in the balls so hard, he'll be singing soprano for a week.

why just him? I would kick McCarthy first...

pbmax
10-10-2010, 09:18 PM
How was the game?

Why Colledge?

digitaldean
10-10-2010, 09:19 PM

The line was pathetic in the 2nd half. Cliffy was a swinging gate vs. Orakpo. Bulaga did have a couple whiffs too, but Orakpo had a ton more success on Cliffy.

ND72
10-10-2010, 09:21 PM

The line was pathetic in the 2nd half. Cliffy was a swinging gate vs. Orakpo. Bulaga did have a couple whiffs too, but Orakpo had a ton more success on Cliffy.

Good move by the 'Skins, rookie Bulaga owns their only sack guy, so move him to the other side...good ADJUSTMENT by a coaching staff.

retailguy
10-10-2010, 09:27 PM

I've been wanting to do that for about 3 years now.

It wouldn't help. And you wouldn't feel better.

Deputy Nutz
10-10-2010, 09:27 PM

Colledge had a pretty good game. If you are complaining about the sack of Rodgers in the 4th quarter on 3rd and 14, it was Wells that missed the blitzing linebacker to help double on the defensive tackle. Wells blew it, Colledge picked up the blitzing safety. Aikman didn't know what the fuck he was talking about.

So go kick someone else in the nuts.

The Winners,
Brandon Jackson
Woodson(obvious)
Pat Lee, low expectation makes it easier to succeed
Bishop
Hawk
Mathews
Jenkins

Lossers
Wide receivers
Rodgers
Clifton
McCarthey

MJZiggy
10-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Colledge had a pretty good game. If you are complaining about the sack of Rodgers in the 4th quarter on 3rd and 14, it was Wells that missed the blitzing linebacker to help double on the defensive tackle. Wells blew it, Colledge picked up the blitzing safety. Aikman didn't know what the fuck he was talking about.

The Winners,
Brandon Jackson
Woodson(obvious)
Bishop
Hawk
Mathews
Jenkins

Lossers
Wide receivers
Rodgers
Clifton
McCarthey

I'm talking about Rodgers running for his life and I look back and there's Colledge on his knees watching the D go by. I have no idea what Aikman had to say about it because I was at the game.

Deputy Nutz
10-10-2010, 09:34 PM

The Winners,
Brandon Jackson
Woodson(obvious)
Bishop
Hawk
Mathews
Jenkins

Lossers
Wide receivers
Rodgers
Clifton
McCarthey

I'm talking about Rodgers running for his life and I look back and there's Colledge on his knees watching the D go by. I have no idea what Aikman had to say about it because I was at the game.

Or was it the play where Orakpo flew by Clifton and Colledge tried to chip an outside rusher from his interior line position?

MJZiggy
10-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know, but somebody over there is getting kicked in the balls.

ND72
10-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Start at old man river clifton

3irty1
10-10-2010, 09:41 PM
I'd put in Hall as a winner. He had a couple of nice tackles on special teams and won the coin toss in OT. It was about the clutchest thing that anyone did all day.

I'm not convinced that the defense played well at all. McNabb was inaccurate and their offensive line was injured and shitty. They wouldn't have scored 20 on anybody. That said the individual players played pretty well. Bishop was great, Hawk is better than Chillar IMO, Peprah filled in nicely, Pat Lee finally got involved and had a good game.

Dom was unimpressive today. Other than the great blitz that he called up on a critical 3rd down, his game plan was baffling. A three man rush has its place but it seemed to be called on multiple 3rd and long situations that were converted.

I don't like what Dom does with his personnel either. The Packers have Woodson and Williams, who great cover corners. Man them up and take their best weapons away. It seems too easy for opposing offensive coordinators to get whatever matchups they want. Run the defense to take advantage of your players' strengths.

CaptainKickass
10-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Coaching gets the thumbs down for not adjusting to Wash. D's desparation blitzes.

I know it seems obvious - but I give coaching a thumbs down for not kicking the easy field goal early in the game - instead of going for it, and failing, on the 4th down and goal attempt. In hindsight, if we have those 3 points - we win the game in regulation.

Never leave points on the field early in a game especially when you have the lead.

2 Kickass thumbs down.

pbmax
10-10-2010, 09:42 PM

The Winners,
Brandon Jackson
Woodson(obvious)
Bishop
Hawk
Mathews
Jenkins

Lossers
Wide receivers
Rodgers
Clifton
McCarthey

Or was it the play where Orakpo flew by Clifton and Colledge tried to chip an outside rusher from his interior line position?
I remember that one. It was a total misread of protection. Rodgers had a couple of those. He looked brutal reading D in second half. But on the drive that gave Crosby a shot from 53, he did pick up an interior blitz, got it blocked and made a nice throw. Not sure why the other stuff was giving him fits.

pbmax
10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Coaching gets the thumbs down for not adjusting to Wash. D's desparation blitzes.

I know it seems obvious - but I give coaching a thumbs down for not kicking the easy field goal early in the game - instead of going for it, and failing, on the 4th down and goal attempt. In hindsight we have those 3 points - we win the game in regulation.

Never leave points on the field early in a game especially when you have the lead.

2 Kickass thumbs down.

I agree with that approach, especially on the road.

mmmdk
10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Winners:

Peprah, Matthews, Raji, Neal, Tramon & Collins. The defense as whole did really well. Collins was gutsy all day & Tramon is at pro bowl level.

Capers needs props.

BJ had a nice day when his number was called.

Bulaga showed # 1 promise even though he got away with holding more than once.

Loud road Packer fans - awesome. "KUHN"

Losers:

McCarthy and Rodgers; coach & play please. Much more is expected as a successful season is quickly becoming "just upset Bears & Vikings season".

G. Jennings - a bit harsh but he's a one or two trick receiver when stars are gone (Finley & Grant, yeah Grant would star right now for Packers).

DD - drops 4 on the day.

Chuck - penalties and only defender to really dissapoint.

Limbo:

Crosby - I jinxed Mason by saying he's good when I've been blasting him for nearly 2 seasons :lol:

D. Lee - fumble got Finley injured & TD saved him from making loser list. Got injured too.

pbmax
10-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Every little painful detail you don't want to know. About the game anyway.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54933/WAS_Gamebook.pdf

CaptainKickass
10-10-2010, 09:59 PM
I also want to point out - that I feel like Rogers had a few chances to pick up good yards and/or first downs with his legs, running for it after feeling the pressure. He's been criticized in the past for pulling it down and running too early, but today I feel like there were several opportunities that he missed had he used his wheels.

I could be wrong.

Cheesehead Craig
10-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Jenkins had a good day I thought. Very good pass rush.

Joemailman
10-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Jenkins has played amazingly well considering he's playing with one hand. I look forward to when he gets that cast off.

Fosco33
10-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Tough loss - more because we're not able to go a quarter without some key personnel going down.

Unsung winners-
Raji/Neal - blowing up the Oline in the 2nd half
Bishop - maybe he'll get his shot to play like it's preseason
Peprah - some great tackles

D looked different without CMIII's motor. Can't believe all the hits McNabb took and no real INTs or fumbles (I don't count desparation heaves at end of half/games).

Disappointed that the O couldn't put up more points. The 3rd/4th/goal calls weren't well executed. That hurt (even if we ended up trading for a FG).

Wish the Pack would've tried a swing pass, sweep or screen when Skins were coming after ARod (especially in OT). I didn't like the adjustments (or lack thereof).

Can't fault Crosby - he nailed a 50+ yarder and hit the uprights on another. The 48yrder sailed a little right - so I'd say he was 'ok' but inconsistent (left, center and right).

Really (really) hope Finley and Arod are ok. CMIII's hammy looks like a holdover from preseason. Not worried about Lee after seeing the young TE stepup. Not too worried about Chillar/Barnett with Bishop (although I'm not a big Poppinga or Hawk fan).

This team needs some fortune and some health (and a solid W). The upcoming stretch of games has me worried that the team isn't peaking, isn't at full strength and will have to make a huge 2nd half run to make the postseason.

Fosco33
10-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Every little painful detail you don't want to know. About the game anyway.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54933/WAS_Gamebook.pdf

Oh boy - I didn't realize how piss poor we were on 3rd down (I had to DVR the game and just finished watching it). You take that and losing the turnover battle on the road - and that leads to a loss.

Just 2 of 13.

vince
10-11-2010, 06:29 AM
A couple people pointed out Neal as a winner. He can be a disruptive force in there. In his relatively limited time these first two games he's played, he's already shown a lot.

He even showed good range in pass coverage in the first half on a play where he forced McNabb to overthrow his receiver near the endzone.

Peprah showed that he's not a bad safety, although he got beat deep a couple times, which can't happen.

Captain also pointed out that Rodgers should have tucked and run with the ball on a few occasions today. I thought that too watching the game.

I saw the same things mmmdk saw in the game. I would not put Woodson in the winners group this game at all, much less say he's an obvious winner. Overall though, Capers rallied the troops and did well with what he had. Not having a legitimate OLB who can go out and beat his man in the second half will stress out a coordinator's game plan. He still was able to scheme some pressure.

McCarthy/Rodgers were not well prepared to counter what the defense threw at them.

denverYooper
10-11-2010, 07:11 AM
A couple people pointed out Neal as a winner. He can be a disruptive force in there. In his relatively limited time these first two games he's played, he's already shown a lot.

He even showed good range in pass coverage in the first half on a play where he forced McNabb to overthrow his receiver near the endzone.

There were 2 plays where he leaped up and almost grabbed a couple of passes. I won't be surprised to see some tipped passes or even an INT from him this year.

Overall I was impressed with the D line. Huge play by Raji near the end of the game to blow up that hand-off and push a long FG longer. It was too bad they drew 2 PI calls right afterward.

mraynrand
10-11-2010, 08:11 AM
McCarthy/Rodgers were not well prepared to counter what the defense threw at them.

Washington adjusted, Stubby did not.

Tarlam!
10-11-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm glad somebody mentioned corey Hall as a winner. I counted 3 ST tackles, at least one of which was arguably a TD saver.

I thought Chuck didn't do too well, frankly, but I wouldn't put him in the losers column.

I think Dom called great bltzes towards the end of the game and the D executed well enough to keep the Packers in the game. But clearly, CMIII is a difference maker and he was sorely missed.

I'm encouraged by the play of the 2nd and 3rd stringers that played. Sure there were some blown plays, but overall, they stepped up.

Definite losers were the WRs for there ability to drop the pill, even when A-Rod hit 'em between the numbers, M3 for not believing in the ground game, A-Rod for his happy feet and Clifton, although on one sack he allowed, Buck or Aikman put it down to crowd noise. I dunno, he just looked outmatched to me.

mraynrand
10-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Definitely missed the Claymaker

pbmax
10-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Mike Singletary. I truly feel bad that I am enjoying this. But the 0-5 49ers seems to me less a condemnation of Singletary (who probably did not have the necessary background), than of the talking heads who celebrated his promotion. They called it long overdue and after a promising start claimed to have been proven right.

Tarlam!
10-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I wish M3 had some of Singletary's passion. M3 comes across as a Scout Master to me. No doubt he's a great QBs coach. I don't know how much input Philbin has in the offense, so, I'm not even prepared to say he's make a great OC.

I posed the question in a thread in the preseason "Do we have the right coaching staff?" and most, if not all said "pretty much".

Amazing how things change in such a short time.

pbmax
10-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I wish M3 had some of Singletary's passion. M3 comes across as a Scout Master to me. No doubt he's a great QBs coach. I don't know how much input Philbin has in the offense, so, I'm not even prepared to say he's make a great OC.

I posed the question in a thread in the preseason "Do we have the right coaching staff?" and most, if not all said "pretty much".

Amazing how things change in such a short time.
The Packers do seem to come close to a signature win and just fall short too many times. But that Redskins team isn't terrible and we were missing 1/3 of the starting players* on the road. Its not a terrible loss, but its a missed opportunity.

And I do agree they have come close but short too often. It is telling. There are too many loose parts on this VW bus.

* I am just going to count. Finley, Barnett, Grant, Burnett, Pickett, Tauscher, Chillar and Shields for most to all of the game. Plus Matthews, Donald Lee (part of the game). And that is without Harris and Bigby.

MadtownPacker
10-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Winners:

Jenkins for being all over the place.

Jackson for having the longest run since last year.

Quarles for jumping in when he was expecting to fill up Gatorade cups.

Losers:

M3 for not talking the easy money with the FG.

DD dropping passes, Jennings not getting open all game.

Woodson for impersonating ahmad carroll.

PackerRats for having the webs shittiest posters.

Joemailman
10-11-2010, 10:22 AM

Start at old man river clifton

I kind of agree. Clifton was also pathetic on the failed QB sneak by Rodgers on 3rd and 1.

Bretsky
10-11-2010, 06:12 PM
LOSER

SLOCUM- On one play in the first half he had to grab Brad Jones from the sideline to let him know he was suppose to be in

on a key field goal we saw a player sprinting to the sideline because we had too many players on the field. They snap the ball and they get a 1st

Absolutely INEXCUSABLE

The Leaper
10-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Loser #1: McCarthy - the guy continues to find new ways to make incredibly dumb decisions...i.e. not kicking a FG to go up 13-0 on the road and givign momentum back to the home team...as well as continuing to make his regular screwups...like STILL not firing Slocum...why the hell does this guy still have his job? A 3 year old could coach special teams better.

Loser #2: Slocum - McCarthy should be fired immediately simply for not having upgraded from this dumbass a long time ago. It is a damn chinese fire drill on every special teams play. If the 12th guy isn't rapidly trying to get off the field before the play, then the 11th guy is rapidly trying to get on the field during the play. There is no reason why Slocum should have his job on Monday after that debacle.

Loser #3: Clifton - granted, it's not really his fault but Thompson's. Thompson knew Tauscher and Clifton were on their last legs 3-4 years ago...but just barely got around to finding ONE replacement this year when Bulaga fell into his lap. Clifton simply is not a starting caliber LT in this league anymore. That is painfully obvious.

Honorable mention...Driver, Rodgers, Jennings

Winners: The defense as a whole. Despite having players dropping like flies before, during, after, and in a fourth dimension, the defense dominated play for 3 quarters before injuries and fatigue finally caught up. Too bad the offense couldn't put more than 13 points on the board against one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

pbmax
10-11-2010, 10:18 PM
LOSER

SLOCUM- On one play in the first half he had to grab Brad Jones from the sideline to let him know he was suppose to be in

on a key field goal we saw a player sprinting to the sideline because we had too many players on the field. They snap the ball and they get a 1st

Absolutely INEXCUSABLE
There were a few new people on Special Teams this week and during the game due to injuries and new starters. While its not an excuse, it was not a typical game scenario. And I don't think they had a substitution related penalty.

They still defended returns poorly though.

pbmax
10-11-2010, 10:22 PM
And while I agree Clifton and especially Tauscher are getting way too close to done, their QB did the O line no favors by mis-identifying several pressures from the Redskins in the second half. At one point, Clifton had to go out wide for a blitzer while Colledge had to block an end or OLB. That is not tactically sound.

I'd also like to know how they missed a double LB blitz up the gut. Even if Sitton peels off to take one like he should have, there was still a free rusher. Wells or Rodgers had trouble reading that D.

MichiganPackerFan
10-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Winners:

THank you, I still have a sore throat two days later!

Brandon494
10-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Winners:

I don't it was kinda lame. The guy runs for a 2 yard gain and everyone is yelling his name like he just scored a TD.

Cooley on the other hand deserved to have his name yelled by the Skin fans.

pbmax
10-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Winners:

I don't it was kinda lame. The guy runs for a 2 yard gain and everyone is yelling his name like he just scored a TD.

Cooley on the other hand deserved to have his name yelled by the Skin fans.
Its a cheer Brandon, not an MVP vote. Kuhn as a stadium cheer carries and echoes far better than "BJack".

Just like the concert fans are not booing, they are saying Boo-urns.

Brandon494
10-12-2010, 09:21 PM
I understand it a cheer, am I not allowed to find it lame? If he was making plays like Cooley than I would have no problem with it. I just don't see the hype in this guy.

Tarlam!
10-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I understand it a cheer, am I not allowed to find it lame? If he was making plays like Cooley than I would have no problem with it. I just don't see the hype in this guy.

Well, I don't see much hype, just a likeable FB helping out at a decimated RB position.

I agree with mmmdk, I thought it was cool that the fans chimed in so loudly on a road game.

That's gotta be encouraging for the whole team and aren't fans often referred to as the 12th player? And, knowing this is purely subjective, Packer fans are amongst the most loyal and least fickle in the NFL, or any sport for that matter.

Of course your entitled to find it lame, that's why we come here and voice our opinions and share. My opinion is that if the fans can get behind the Gado's of this world, they obviously love underdogs are are prepared to cheer them on. I ike belonging to that group.

CaptainKickass
10-13-2010, 03:24 AM
Too bad the offense couldn't put more than 13 points on the board against one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

BAM!

Brandon494
10-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Gado actually had big games. Kuhn has not even rush for 50 yards.

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Gado actually had big games. Kuhn has not even rush for 50 yards.

Just an opportunity to yell and support your team on the road. He's had a few tough runs. I think i really hurt my throat the most on BJack's 79 yard run (or maybe it was vodka in the bloody mary before the game?)

Smidgeon
10-13-2010, 09:07 AM

Well, I don't see much hype, just a likeable FB helping out at a decimated RB position.

I agree with mmmdk, I thought it was cool that the fans chimed in so loudly on a road game.

That's gotta be encouraging for the whole team and aren't fans often referred to as the 12th player? And, knowing this is purely subjective, Packer fans are amongst the most loyal and least fickle in the NFL, or any sport for that matter.

Of course your entitled to find it lame, that's why we come here and voice our opinions and share. My opinion is that if the fans can get behind the Gado's of this world, they obviously love underdogs are are prepared to cheer them on. I ike belonging to that group.

That's because they're not high draft picks. A high draft pick performing like Kuhn or Gado would be tarred and feathered (see: Hawk, AJ).