PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please tell me???

ZachMN
10-11-2010, 09:45 AM
I am confused, I thought the defender has to turn around and play the ball; on that play to Quarless in the end zone, the defender never turned to face the pass. I feel we get called for ticky tack pi calls so can someone please tell me why it wasn't pi?

packerbacker1234
10-11-2010, 09:49 AM
he also has to initiate the contact, which he didn't. He just stood there with his arms up, he didn't initiate any contact with Quarless, and the ball hit him in the head with quarless jumping tad backwords as if the ball was going over his head.

aka, their wasn't really any contact initiated by the defender to draw a flag. You don't have to be looking back at the ball if your not commiting contact.

Joemailman
10-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I am confused, I thought the defender has to turn around and play the ball; on that play to Quarless in the end zone, the defender never turned to face the pass. I feel we get called for ticky tack pi calls so can someone please tell me why it wasn't pi?

There has to be contact.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4778957_nfl-rules-face-guarding.html

channtheman
10-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Is it college where if you don't turn around it is a penalty then? I was under the impression there was a penalty called "face guarding" either in college or the NFL. Anyone know?

EDIT: Perhaps I should refresh the page before posting. :oops:

HarveyWallbangers
10-11-2010, 02:52 PM
There has to be contact.

Which is what I've been trying to say, but other people on here have stated that there doesn't have to be contact. To me, it's seems like common sense that if the defender doesn't contact the receiver, there shouldn't be pass interference. That's just good defense.

mraynrand
10-11-2010, 03:00 PM
There has to be contact.

Which is what I've been trying to say, but other people on here have stated that there doesn't have to be contact. To me, it's seems like common sense that if the defender doesn't contact the receiver, there shouldn't be pass interference. That's just good defense.

assuming there's no contact

pbmax
10-11-2010, 03:19 PM
There has to be contact.

assuming there's no contact
It used to be a face guarding call, but the rules were relaxed a while ago.

Bretsky
10-11-2010, 06:14 PM
That's why the receiver has to slow it up and force the contact as he's adjusting to the underthrown ball. With a little bit of contact that gets called every time when the reciever comes back for the ball

Smidgeon
10-11-2010, 06:26 PM
That's why the receiver has to slow it up and force the contact as he's adjusting to the underthrown ball. With a little bit of contact that gets called every time when the reciever comes back for the ball

Yep. Just a little inexperience by the receiver...

Bretsky
10-11-2010, 06:28 PM

That's why as a fourth down call that surprised me

pbmax
10-11-2010, 07:07 PM

That's why as a fourth down call that surprised me
True. But Rodgers was under pressure and that ball was underthrown as he couldn't step up. A throw to the back corner would have been wide open.