PDA

View Full Version : Greg Jennings - wasted talent

lod01
10-11-2010, 02:03 PM
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports the Packers weren't able to get much help from WR Greg Jennings again on Sunday, as he had his third-straight game with just two catches. The Packers again had trouble finding Jennings against a Cover-2 defense that took away the deep pass for much of the game. Jennings appears to be getting a little frustrated. After declining to talk in the week before the Redskins game, he wouldn't talk after the game either.

-- Donald Driver Drops Four Passes Sunday --
Mon Oct 11, 2010 --from FFMastermind.com

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Packers WR Donald Driver dropped four passes on Sunday.

This coaching staff is garbage. A caveman could figure out that you put Jones in Jennings spot running deep and put Jennings in Drivers spot to make use of his skills. How the fuck do these hammerheads retain their jobs? Just cut Jennings because you are wasting his time and skills, you fucking morons.

imscott72
10-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I've been wondering what his problem was. It appears more and more that he was very overrated.

Airin' Rodgers
10-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I've been wondering what his problem was. It appears more and more that he was very overrated.

Overrated? He has 3325 yards over the past 3 seasons. You can't be overrated when you have already proven you are very good.

What's clear is that either defenses are paying more attention to him or he has an injury were not hearing about

imscott72
10-11-2010, 02:40 PM

Overrated? He has 3325 yards over the past 3 seasons. You can't be overrated when you have already proven you are very good.

What's clear is that either defenses are paying more attention to him or he has an injury were not hearing about

Didn't realize he had that many yards. I don't see how defenses can be rolling coverage his way with Driver, Jones, Finley,etc. Without seeing film it's hard to figure out whether he's not getting open or Aaron's just not seeing him. What we do know is he's clearly not a prototype #1 WR.

Cheesehead Craig
10-11-2010, 02:49 PM

Didn't realize he had that many yards. I don't see how defenses can be rolling coverage his way with Driver, Jones, Finley,etc. Without seeing film it's hard to figure out whether he's not getting open or Aaron's just not seeing him. What we do know is he's clearly not a prototype #1 WR.
In what way?
Physically he's an inch shorter than Reggie Wayne.
Production wise he's not far off from Fitzgerald the past 2-3 years.

red
10-11-2010, 03:54 PM
there was one play where a-rod got flushed out of the pocket and sacked or threw it away or something where they showed jennings running into the endzone with both hands up and no one else within 20 yards of him

i don't think its a fault of jenning, he's proven he knows how to get open and catch the shorter pass and make yards after the catch

it might be M3's fascination with the long ball. maybe he's sending him deep every single time and a-rod never has time to load up for the deep ball so he ends up dumping the ball off to someone closer.

IDK, but i agree his talent is being completely wasted

mmmdk
10-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Packers offense has gotten worse since last season - how is that possible?

I freakin' drool over Packers offensive players; sure Grant went down early and now Finley but the display by Packers O has been painful to watch from day one. Only glimpses of what sould & could be have been shown. Greg is a nobody these days.

Who's responsible is a mute question as it's all intertwined but normally the "head" of the head coach is the one to fall. Won't happen but should happen; though it would put TT under the gun too.

Fact: Shermy wasn't saved by rash of injuries after 2005 season - only wins can save McCarthy and if Packers win more than they lose this season then I'll change my stance on McCarthy. Can't see it happen but it would be a major task if done - even going 9-7 this season.

NB - Even a 8-8 season is iffy for McCarthy and TT will only do it if he's safe himself.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-11-2010, 04:14 PM
People are going to think I'm crazy, but I was happy to see Finley leave the game. I didn't want him to be out 3-6 weeks of course, but I was interested to see if he was the reason Jennings wasn't getting catches. Turns out Rodgers just doesn't look for him like he is a number one receiver. I know going into that game he was getting just as many chances as Finley and Driver, but I think we are really using him wrong. This offense has way too much talent not to be moving up and down the field at will.

Did we completely stop running slant plays??? That was BOTH Jennings and Drivers bread and butter. MM is too dumb to see that the Redskins defense was playing the pass all game and the running game was wide open. We need to get back to the offense we ran from 07-09. Quick slants to our great receivers and let them run after the catch. Run the ball more and work the play action and take your shots down field. And in between work the middle with Finley. It seems to me the offense is way too predictable.
Every week we just seem to be doing 3, 4, or 5 WR sets with the receivers running routes that require a lot of time in the pocket. I want this offense to start getting the ball in the hands of our receivers on quick slants (esp. Jennings) and take more shots down field working the play action. We have to stop passing 50 times a game and start running the ball more too. Rodgers needs to shut the hell up and let MM call plays and MM needs to pull his head out his ass and revert back to 07-09.

red
10-11-2010, 04:23 PM
People are going to think I'm crazy, but I was happy to see Finley leave the game. I didn't want him to be out 3-6 weeks of course, but I was interested to see if he was the reason Jennings wasn't getting catches. Turns out Rodgers just doesn't look for him like he is a number one receiver. I know going into that game he was getting just as many chances as Finley and Driver, but I think we are really using him wrong. This offense has way too much talent not to be moving up and down the field at will.

Did we completely stop running slant plays??? That was BOTH Jennings and Drivers bread and butter. MM is too dumb to see that the Redskins defense was playing the pass all game and the running game was wide open. We need to get back to the offense we ran from 07-09. Quick slants to our great receivers and let them run after the catch. Run the ball more and work the play action and take your shots down field. And in between work the middle with Finley. It seems to me the offense is way too predictable.
Every week we just seem to be doing 3, 4, or 5 WR sets with the receivers running routes that require a lot of time in the pocket. I want this offense to start getting the ball in the hands of our receivers on quick slants (esp. Jennings) and take more shots down field working the play action. We have to stop passing 50 times a game and start running the ball more too. Rodgers needs to shut the hell up and let MM call plays and MM needs to pull his head out his ass and revert back to 07-09.

right on the money

Patler
10-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Jennings may share some of the blame. Per the NFL stats, he has been targeted 16 times in the last three games, and has managed just 6 receptions. I'm sure some were thrown poorly, and some defensed well. But I'm also sure there were at least a few that Jennings should have had but didn't.

sharpe1027
10-11-2010, 04:39 PM
I think it must be said that Rodgers has not played well. Maybe the fault lies elsewhere, but he got the credit when the played well. I'm not about to give him the Favre excuses after one breakout season.

lod01
10-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Did we completely stop running slant plays??? That was BOTH Jennings and Drivers bread and butter.

For some reason it appears every tema but maybe Indy has totally forgotten what an easy gainer the slant is. There is a boatload of stupid people coaching in the NFL. I did actually see Smith do that in the SF game amazingly after the firing of OC Raye.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Jennings may share some of the blame. Per the NFL stats, he has been targeted 16 times in the last three games, and has managed just 6 receptions. I'm sure some were thrown poorly, and some defensed well. But I'm also sure there were at least a few that Jennings should have had but didn't.

All of what you said is true, but Jennings was almost unstoppable on those quick slants. It frustrated the hell out of defenses. We go to Finley WAY too much. Yes he is a good player, but I think he is part of the reason our offensive approach has changed so much. Without Finley being the center piece we were getting the ball in the hands to the WRs and letting them make plays. I don’t see the same offense that I enjoyed watching for the last 3 years.
This offense could be completely unstoppable if used the right way. First run the ball! Even if you pick up only 1-3 yards it keeps defenses honest. This allows you to work the play action even if you are not running the ball that effectively. Play action deep, hit Driver and Jennings on Quick slants, run the ball, destroy LBs with Finley over the middle and see if there is any defense in the league that could stop us.

Every week for the last five weeks, its drop back and look for Finley first even if hes double covered. And if we do go to the WRs its on plays from the shotgun were the WRs are running crossing routes, outs, and running down the middle of the field.

I’m no coach but this offense should be MUCH better than even 07, 08, or 09. Dominate TE, good Qb, and four good WRs. What team has that talent….

lod01
10-11-2010, 04:50 PM

% completion of deep routes is very low. All they do is send him deep. Remove the deep routes and check his % vs all other WRs. He smokes Drop'em Driver.

Freak Out
10-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Losing Grant hurt the offense but I think play calling and Rodgers decision making has been just as big a factor. Having seen only seconds of the game yesterday I'm not sure what happened before the Rodgers interception but that was a brutal play on Rodgers part....save yourself and just go down dude.

Someone said earlier he took a nasty hit on a sneak before that play but that was ball should have never left his hand.

Smidgeon
10-11-2010, 05:08 PM

So how would them running slants not be too predictable? Help me out here.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-11-2010, 05:13 PM

LOL maybe you didn't read the whole post. I'm pretty sure I didn't say anywhere is my post run a slant play on every play. I said run the ball, run play action passes, run slant plays, and hit Finley over the middle. Did you completely miss that??? I want to see MORE quick slants, no where did I say run JUST quick slants. The offense is being run different than years past. I want to get back to that type of offense and that includes running more slant routes. Did that help you out?

Smidgeon
10-11-2010, 05:20 PM

LOL maybe you didn't read the whole post. I'm pretty sure I didn't say anywhere is my post run a slant play on every play. I said run the ball, run play action passes, run slant plays, and hit Finley over the middle. Did you completely miss that??? I want to see MORE quick slants, no where did I say run JUST quick slants. The offense is being run completely different than years past. I want to get back to that and that includes running more slant routes. Did that help you out?

I read it. I was just giving you a hard time for the way the phrasing came together. ;)

Personally, I think they aren't running the slants because they have been so good at it during the last few years. I'm guessing D-Coordinators are keying in on the inside slants and the deep fly routes, leaving the flats, short hooks, and inside seams more open. The Packers don't have the RBs to really make them pay from the flats (although Jackson is doing his best but can still only get five yards out in space; and Kuhn is strictly a down-the-throat runner...maybe Starks will provide that spark), Jones is doing his best to get the short outside hooks, and Finley is carving teams up in the seams.

But I think Finley's been so good because teams haven't quite focused on just him. They know Jennings is dangerous on the outside. He has been for three years now, whereas Finley's only been dominant for about a year. And Driver's been killing teams for years on the slant.

So I just think that defenses are picking their poison and letting Rodgers and Finley try to beat them. It seems to be working because Finley has one TD so far despite all his yardage.

Thoughts?

imscott72
10-11-2010, 05:26 PM

In what way?

Then you tell me where he's been this year? Wayne consistently produces even when double covered. Why does Jennings keep disappearing when they need him most?

Cheesehead Craig
10-11-2010, 07:27 PM

In what way?

Then you tell me where he's been this year? Wayne consistently produces even when double covered. Why does Jennings keep disappearing when they need him most?
My comment was about that "he's clearly not a prototype #1 WR". I don't understand where that comment comes from.

mmmdk
10-11-2010, 07:34 PM

In what way?

My comment was about that "he's clearly not a prototype #1 WR". I don't understand where that comment comes from.

I got blasted sh!tless last season for saying GJ wasn't a true # 1. He still isn't but GJ hasn't been set up shine either. GJ is a one SLANT PONY & the occational deep ball. GJ must be frustrated.

Bretsky
10-11-2010, 08:04 PM
I think a big part of this is in the cover 2 teams are often putting a safety over the top of Jennings and when that occurs Rodgers looks away from Jennings and toward other targets. Teams IMO alternate between doing this to Finley and Jennings. Finley goes out.........guess where all the coverage now rolls. With Driver and Jones dropping balls, no reason to do anything different.

Back to the slant. That is clearly on MM; Jennings role in this offense is way too predictable and it's all on MM to move him around and start working towards Jennings strengths. It's like we have forgotten about the quick hitters and didn't we use to boast about Y.A.C. :?:

The Leaper
10-11-2010, 09:16 PM
McCarthy is utterly failing this team right now. He looked like a guy about set to retire in a fishing boat at the last press conference. He's aged 15 years in 5 games. He's in over his head IMO. He has loads of talent on this offense, but can't find any way to find consistency. He's getting outcoached by guys who aren't even elite coaches.

When everything is smooth sailing, he gets along fine. OK...that's nice...but most NFL coaches can get along fine with a talented roster that is getting more good breaks than bad ones. What truly separates the men from the boys is how they respond to adversity. Right now, I think McCarthy is being exposed as a scared little boy. His decision making has been highly questionable the last few weeks. He's pressing...a lot...and it shows.

He's not using any of his offensive weapons very effectively right now...Jennings included. That said, I do think Jennings is slightly overrated. He's not a dominant #1 WR who is automatic for 85 catches and 1200 yards every year IMO. He will put up those numbers from time to time, but not consistently. He just disappears way too often to be an elite WR.

digitaldean
10-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Agree, Leaper.

Look at the 4th down and goal call. The call was t Quarless. I understand it's probably one that would've been for Finley, but you don't try a key call like that to a rookie.

Bossman641
10-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Agree, Leaper.

Look at the 4th down and goal call. The call was t Quarless. I understand it's probably one that would've been for Finley, but you don't try a key call like that to a rookie.

I really didn't like the 4th down play. I hated going for it in general, but I really didn't like the call. I know the play action is meant to draw the LB's in, but not with our running game. By the time Rodgers turned from the fake he had Chris Wilson right in his face. Even if the play did work correctly, your options to throw to are Quarless and Hall.

Bossman641
10-12-2010, 12:25 AM
I haven't been watching Jennings closely enough to see what routes he has been running. It does seem like our YAC is way down this year. Where are the drag routes? All the short stuff seems to be comebacks to Driver.

And it pains me to say it but I do think Rodgers has regressed this year. I don't know if it is MM's pressuring him into forcing the ball into tighter spaces, the pressure of leading a SB contender, or overconfidence in Finley but he has been forcing passes that he didn't even think about making last year.

packerbacker1234
10-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Driver had a bad game with the 4 drops. even if one of them was irrelevant (end of half, final play, a really stupid 8 yard bullet that driver had to dive for that is a bad decisio, as it could get tipped and taken to the house (versus just throwing a hail mary).

That drop I don't care much about, and the one dump off to the left I could care less about either. That drop he was about to get LIT UP. So we most likely lose yards on the play.

The other two were just flat out bad. But it's driver - he's always had a game or two like this every season, but overall he is very reliable. I doubt this drop issue is going to linger. I expect him to bounce back next week.

Jennings on the other hand baffles me. He gets the same amount of overall targets as driver, but has SIGNIFICANTLY less catches. Driver now leads the team in receptions and is around 30, GJ... has he even gotten 10 yet? I don't understand how Driver is getting more open then Jennings, who is supposedly a superior talent. Maybe driver just has more savvy and is a better overall route runner?

pbmax
10-12-2010, 08:01 AM
The team had seven drops (maybe eight according to McGinn) in the game. How can anyone seriously complain about strategy, tactics and playcalling when the players can't even put the ball away?

How about not fumbling?

How about no false starts?

First things first folks. Fix the easy stuff.

woodbuck27
10-12-2010, 08:33 AM

LOL maybe you didn't read the whole post. I'm pretty sure I didn't say anywhere is my post run a slant play on every play. I said run the ball, run play action passes, run slant plays, and hit Finley over the middle. Did you completely miss that??? I want to see MORE quick slants, no where did I say run JUST quick slants. The offense is being run different than years past. I want to get back to that type of offense and that includes running more slant routes. Did that help you out?

Nice post. Good patience Packer fan. :)

PACKERS!

mmmdk
10-12-2010, 08:39 AM
GJ is known to quit on his patterns, not all the time, but look for it in games. Somehow GJ & AR doesn't have a great connection - yet to the defense of GJ; he's actually looked past by AR when actually open. I'm not blasting or giving up on GJ but it's just very strange. But I've always seen GJ as a lower tier # 1 WR. He'd be top 3 as # 2 WR though.

MichiganPackerFan
10-12-2010, 02:09 PM
I think that all of the WR's and QB have left some big opportunities on the field. A season or two back, there was great YAC, and that meant they were getting their hands on the ball a lot sooner (slants and short passing game) I've seen what seems like a lot higher percentage of attempts at home run balls. Need to open up the short to mid passing game a lot more. Also, Jennings needs to come down with the same balls he was hauling in over the past few seasons.

Tarlam!
10-12-2010, 02:22 PM
I know the press coming out of 1265 has always been how tight the WRs are with oneanother. With the dominance and attention Finley got and is getting, could that be causing a break in the chemistry?

gbgary
10-12-2010, 02:30 PM
McCarthy is utterly failing this team right now. He looked like a guy about set to retire in a fishing boat at the last press conference. He's aged 15 years in 5 games. He's in over his head IMO. He has loads of talent on this offense, but can't find any way to find consistency. He's getting outcoached by guys who aren't even elite coaches.

When everything is smooth sailing, he gets along fine. OK...that's nice...but most NFL coaches can get along fine with a talented roster that is getting more good breaks than bad ones. What truly separates the men from the boys is how they respond to adversity. Right now, I think McCarthy is being exposed as a scared little boy. His decision making has been highly questionable the last few weeks. He's pressing...a lot...and it shows.

He's not using any of his offensive weapons very effectively right now...Jennings included. That said, I do think Jennings is slightly overrated. He's not a dominant #1 WR who is automatic for 85 catches and 1200 yards every year IMO. He will put up those numbers from time to time, but not consistently. He just disappears way too often to be an elite WR.

i was calling for his head two or three years ago if you remember-
"everyone must go...except edgar of course!"

i have always hated his play calling.

Tony Oday
10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Its is damn pad level!

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-12-2010, 03:16 PM
I know the press coming out of 1265 has always been how tight the WRs are with oneanother. With the dominance and attention Finley got and is getting, could that be causing a break in the chemistry?

That is my feeling as well. Finely has the attitude that he wants the ball no matter what. They asked him after the Eagles game about him being double and triple covered and he said something like I still want Rodgers to throw me the ball no matter the coverage. He doesn’t have the same attitude as our WRs. That is why I said I was kind of happy to see him leave the game early against the Skins. I wanted to see if the "old" offense would come back once Finley left. We will see in the coming weeks......

I love Finley’s talent, but I want to him to stop demanding the ball. I want our WRs to be first options in the playing game and then the TEs.

mmmdk
10-12-2010, 08:15 PM

That is my feeling as well. Finely has the attitude that he wants the ball no matter what. They asked him after the Eagles game about him being double and triple covered and he said something like I still want Rodgers to throw me the ball no matter the coverage. He doesn’t have the same attitude as our WRs. That is why I said I was kind of happy to see him leave the game early against the Skins. I wanted to see if the "old" offense would come back once Finley left. We will see in the coming weeks......

I love Finley’s talent, but I want to him to stop demanding the ball. I want our WRs to be first options in the playing game and then the TEs.

...if AR or Flynn keeps looking for Finley on sunday then we're in real trouble :wink:

Brandon494
10-12-2010, 08:54 PM

Like it or not Finley is our best reciever. When was the last time you saw him drop a pass or put the ball on the ground? Also at 6'5 he has a huge height advantage over our WRs. You might have been happy to see him leave early against the Skins but you would have been a whole lot happier at the end of the game if he didnt leave. Your acting like he is demanding the ball in a TO manner.

Tarlam!
10-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Like it or not Finley is our best reciever. When was the last time you saw him drop a pass or put the ball on the ground? Also at 6'5 he has a huge height advantage over our WRs. You might have been happy to see him leave early against the Skins but you would have been a whole lot happier at the end of the game if he didnt leave. Your acting like he is demanding the ball in a TO manner.

Personalty-wise, he's no T.O. But ego-wise, I think a case could be made for the comparison. It's great having such a talent on the roster, no doubt. Except if that talent is more concerned with being a great player than he is concerned with making the team great.

I'm sure the coaches used a lot of confidence building techniques to bring the best out of him and that's worked just great. Not too sure if they got through to him on the team comes first aspect, and that has been a strength of the Packers' WR corps.

On the defense, there are two stars in Woodsen and CMIII, but with them, I get the impression they want to make the team great.

Maybe, it's because Finley is way underpaid for the value he brings to the team.

A lot of underdogs have won SB's and you always hear that it was because their team believed and played their hearts out for eachother, or stuff like that. That doesn't seem to be Finley's mantra, or a young T.O. for that matter.

channtheman
10-13-2010, 12:46 AM
When Jennings, Jones, Driver, and Nelson all catch the ball with the consistency that Finley does and they do not fumble the ball, THEN they can bitch about Finley getting the ball too much. I'm not saying they are bitching, but no one can argue that any one of those wide receivers is better than Finley. I would rather lose Jennings and Driver than Finley.

Tarlam!
10-13-2010, 12:57 AM
When Jennings, Jones, Driver, and Nelson all catch the ball with the consistency that Finley does and they do not fumble the ball, THEN they can bitch about Finley getting the ball too much. I'm not saying they are bitching, but no one can argue that any one of those wide receivers is better than Finley. I would rather lose Jennings and Driver than Finley.

Valid points and a valid opinion. But don't you at least think it plausible that performance is based on a mental state and that a negative mental state could be reponsible for the piss poor performance at the one position the Packers were expected be be dominent?

If people lack confidence for whatever reason they tend to under perfom. Ask Crosby. The question is, where has the chemistry gone, IMO, and why?