PDA

View Full Version : Cleft Crusty: Post Family Night Practice Mock Chat

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Hi guys - if anyone is awake and wants to do a post practice chat, I'll be here to answer all your questions, the added bonus being that I'll put a Cliff Cristlesque spin on my replies. I'll try to answer every question, but I'll probably favor questions that talk about Matt Millen, how much a 'fan' I am or posts that start with "FIRE....." IF you are Randy Hanson from Tyler Texas, Sled Dog from Larium, or Powerball Express, you're almost guaranteed a response. Plus, if you thank me for doing the chat or call me dyspeptic, I'll probably respond.

The practice is being shown on NFL Network at 10 Eastern, 9 Central, so I'll be on here right after it finishes to give you my take. The JS doesn't pay me enough to fund my new Harley, so I need the extra work at Packerrats.

Sincerely (not really), Cleft Crusty.

P.S. I'd much rather be watching a High School football game at some run-down old nostalgic stadium.

Deputy Nutz
08-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Hello Crusty. The running backs looked a little raw tonight. How concerned should we be about the depth of this position? Man, how interesting is your life considering you count attempts and completions during pass skelly?

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Hello Crusty. The running backs looked a little raw tonight. How concerned should we be about the depth of this position? Man, how interesting is your life considering you count attempts and completions during pass skelly?

Dr. testicles or Dr. insane, you're posting a little early. Considering I don't have access to a spce-time continuum warp like you, I haven't looked at the running backs yet tonight. While you're one the other side, how is Elvis?

As far as counting passes, it's better than counting up snot-nosed kids and professional autograph seekers. You should see the number of parasites that surround the Clark Hinkley Field these days. Used to be freckle-faced kids ith playing cards in their spokes and old codgers. Now it's a bunch of corporate shills looking for autographs to sell on eBay or to attach to some promotion. Those leeches make me sick.

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Cleft Crusty:

This is "the Surfin' Durango Kid" posting you from " the Tombstone Western Theme Park" in Hawaii. I'm a huge Packer fan.

My Question:

I'm hoping by the end of "the Packer's Family Night Team Scrimmage" - you'll have an accurate count on the number of punch's Ahmad Carroll threw tonight Vs. knockdowns of Carroll, by the players he drew down on?

I'm pulling for Ahmad to get the first fisti-cuffs win, of his non-illustrious NFL career. I believe he's due.

Thanks Cleft Crusty and " your the Best " - the Surfin' Duango Kid.

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Cleft Crusty:

This is "the Surfin' Durango Kid" posting you from " the Tombstone Western Theme Park" in Hawaii. I'm a huge Packer fan.

My Question:

I'm hoping by the end of "the Packer's Family Night Team Scrimmage" - you'll have an accurate count on the number of punch's Ahmad Carroll threw tonight Vs. knockdowns of Carroll, by the players he drew down on?

I'm pulling for Ahmad to get the first fisti-cuffs win, of his non-illustrious NFL career. I believe he's due.

Thanks Cleft Crust and "your the Best" - the Surfin' Duango Kid.

Surfin' Durango,
Since your the only one with a question, I'll answer your question first. Ahmad Carroll had a good night. I think we've seen wnough to know that he's going to play physical with his hands on the receiver as much as he can or cannot get away with. His best play of the night was in coverage against Boerichter, where he stayed with him, in stride, and turned at the exact right moement to deflect the pass. There was another time where he may have been called for interference on a Gardner slant, and he did give up the TD to Boerichter, but he was tight in coverage all night.

Fosco33
08-05-2006, 10:48 PM
CC -

It's tough being a travelling Packer fan - everywhere I go for my job I talk football with my coworkers. I may be sipping on the Kool Aid but I think the Packers have a shot at a surprise year with the biggest upside on our Defense. Its really early - but are you more surprised by Hawk/Hodge or Jennings/Driver duos?

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 10:53 PM
CC -

It's tough being a travelling Packer fan - everywhere I go for my job I talk football with my coworkers. I may be sipping on the Kool Aid but I think the Packers have a shot at a surprise year with the biggest upside on our Defense. Its really early - but are you more surprised by Hawk/Hodge or Jennings/Driver duos?

Hawk was invisible tonight. It could be it was the black sleeves that covered up his blanched arms, but it was more likely that he didn't have a single tackle. Also, he was sent to blitz from the end position on at least two occassions and was stoned. I'm thinking the Packers are looking greedily at Detroit's Sims at this point. They could have traded down, picked up a high number one and drafted the best LB in the draft. Edit: Hodge looks solid in interior run support. He seems to have good instincts 'filling the hole.'

Jennings is smooth as polished stone and Driver is what he is - a decent NFL starter. But if you expect Jennings to catch more than 4-5 TDs and 20-30 passes all year, you're living in a fool's paradise. Enjoy the Koolaid, but keep it to a glass a week.

Deputy Nutz
08-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Crusty, whats you favorite type of pie? I like bannana creme, it is really good. Blueberry is also very good.

Oh, and do you think any lock down starter gave a damn about some scrimmage? You have been around the game for years, how do veterans approach something like this? Any injuries that you were aware of tonight?

Dr. Nutz
from, Inside Murphy's underpants.

b bulldog
08-05-2006, 11:01 PM
It is far to early to say that Hawk won't live up to the many expectations that some of our fellow posters have but I was lobbying that if the Pack missed out on Mario, they should trade down and get more picks and still get a LB in round one.

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Cleft Crusty:

My Question:

Thanks Cleft Crust and "your the Best" - the Surfin' Duango Kid.

Surfin' Durango,
Since your the only one with a question, I'll answer your question first. Ahmad Carroll had a good night. I think we've seen wnough to know that he's going to play physical with his hands on the receiver as much as he can or cannot get away with. His best play of the night was in coverage against Boerichter, where he stayed with him, in stride, and turned at the exact right moement to deflect the pass. There was another time where he may have been called for interference on a Gardner slant, and he did give up the TD to Boerichter, but he was tight in coverage all night.

At least A.C. didn't get down with the hands Cleft Crusty.

Wondering Cleft - if Boerigter's height advantage showed up Carroll on that TD pass from Aaron Rodgers, or was it, a perfectly to well thrown ball?

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Crusty, whats you favorite type of pie? I like bannana creme, it is really good. Blueberry is also very good.

Oh, and do you think any lock down starter gave a damn about some scrimmage? You have been around the game for years, how do veterans approach something like this? Any injuries that you were aware of tonight?

Dr. Nutz
from, Inside Murphy's underpants.

The only injury I saw tonight was Kenny Peterson's ego. Colledge modev him out of Gado's running lane like an Allied Van Lines crew moves out an apartment. I can't eat pie anymore, as it interferes with my medication. I washed down my prostate meds with Pepto Bismol for my dinner. And lock down starters? Other than Favre Driver Taucher Kampman and KGB, can you name any? KGB and Kampman played like it was a meaningless practice. Driver adn Tausher played like seasoned pros - Taucher destryed the DE across from him all night. Favre? He looked worse than Rodgers until Rodgers threw late down the middle and was picked by Underwood.

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 11:09 PM
It is far to early to say that Hawk won't live up to the many expectations that some of our fellow posters have but I was lobbying that if the Pack missed out on Mario, they should trade down and get more picks and still get a LB in round one.

I agree. The steal of the Draft was Millen picking up Sims at #9. And it may have been possible for the Packers to get that pick and pick up several more picks.

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Wondering Cleft - if Boerigter's height advantage showed up Carroll on that TD pass from Aaron Rodgers, or was it, a perfectly to well thrown ball?

That was a good ball, thrown into his body. Carroll had tight coverage, but the ball had zip. The earlier play was a high pass on a go route up the sidelines. Carroll had perfect coverage. Boerichter even gave Carroll a bit of a push and couldn't haul it in.

b bulldog
08-05-2006, 11:12 PM
In the system that Detroit is going to, Simms will get every opprotunity to become Detroit's Derrick Brooks.

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 11:14 PM
In the system that Detroit is going to, Simms will get every opprotunity to become Detroit's Derrick Brooks.

That's right. And with the beef they have in front of him, he'll be well protected to run all over the field hunting down ball carriers

Deputy Nutz
08-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Crusty, How good will Sims be when he will suffer his 5th concussion in week three and miss 3 games because of it?

MadtownPacker
08-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey Cleft,

Pack fan in Cali here, I got two questions.

1. Do you see the Packers going .500 or better in 2006?

2. Are you drunk when you answer these questions?

b bulldog
08-05-2006, 11:19 PM
That was his red flag. Cromartie and Simms will be boom or bust picks.

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Crusty, How good will Sims be when he will suffer his 5th concussion in week three and miss 3 games because of it?

Have you stepped into your temporal transporter again Dr. Testicles? How is it that you are privvy to the future? Miami didn't have the same linemen that Detroit has to protect the LB. Matt Millen knows what he's doing. Sims was clearly the LB pick of the draft. Sure, Sims couls suffer more concussions, but I could drop dead from a massive MI any moment. That doesn't mean I start missing my deadlines or that I stop responding to you know-nothings.

Fosco33
08-05-2006, 11:24 PM
CC -

Hawk was invisible tonight. It could be it was the black sleeves that covered up his blanched arms, but it was more likely that he didn't have a single tackle. Also, he was sent to blitz from the end position on at least two occassions and was stoned. I'm thinking the Packers are looking greedily at Detroit's Sims at this point. They could have traded down, picked up a high number one and drafted the best LB in the draft. Edit: Hodge looks solid in interior run support. He seems to have good instincts 'filling the hole.'

Jennings is smooth as polished stone and Driver is what he is - a decent NFL starter. But if you expect Jennings to catch more than 4-5 TDs and 20-30 passes all year, you're living in a fool's paradise. Enjoy the Koolaid, but keep it to a glass a week.

Well, there wasn't a question in your response - so I'll respond w/ my own answer.

You're right - Hawk wasn't a shine out tonight but Hodge has the biggest upside. I was surprised by this guy. Driver had some good catches and a TD and I think Jennings will surprize you w/ at least 40 catches and 6 TDs or more this year... In the end will Hodge be a better pickup (in terms of ROI of their salaries for good defensive plays) than Hawk OR could Jennings be a star in this league (maybe not this year but within the next three years) on the level of a top WR (Walker of the future)?

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey Cleft,

Pack fan in Cali here, I got two questions.

1. Do you see the Packers going .500 or better in 2006?

2. Are you drunk when you answer these questions?

The stronger liklihood is that you're drunk thinking there's a possibility that the Packers might win 8 games. The Packers will be lucky to be competive in 8 games given the roster they have. without Favre, that number could drop to 2. And if you looked at Favre tonight, there's really not much to look forward to this season at all. I never drink on the job, but I often get blindingly drunk at home to forget the pointless questions I have to answer just ot collect a paycheck from the JS.

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 11:28 PM

That was a good ball, thrown into his body. Carroll had tight coverage, but the ball had zip. The earlier play was a high pass on a go route up the sidelines. Carroll had perfect coverage. Boerichter even gave Carroll a bit of a push and couldn't haul it in.

It's all good then. Nice to see Boe get something done.

Great reporting Cleft ! Your the BEST.

HOLD THE FAITH - GO Packers in 2006 !

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, there wasn't a question in your response - so I'll respond w/ my own answer.

You're right - Hawk wasn't a shine out tonight but Hodge has the biggest upside. I was surprised by this guy. Driver had some good catches and a TD and I think Jennings will surprize you w/ at least 40 catches and 6 TDs or more this year... In the end will Hodge be a better pickup (in terms of ROI of their salaries for good defensive plays) than Hawk OR could Jennings be a star in this league (maybe not this year but within the next three years) on the level of a top WR (Walker of the future)?

I won't be surprised by anything Jennings does. I just objectively watch the game and report. I don't care one way or the other. I take no enjoyment from success or failure on the part of any Packer, only in getting my story to the presses.
And what possible difference do salaries make? The NFL doesn't give you extra yards for having a low-priced player play well, or take away yards and points for having a great player stink up the joint. If they did, every team that Alvin Harper played on after Dallas would have never won a game. Come to think of it, maybe they didn't

Fosco33
08-05-2006, 11:38 PM

I won't be surprised by anything Jennings does. I just objectively watch the game and report. I don't care one way or the other. I take no enjoyment from success or failure on the part of any Packer, only in getting my story to the presses.
And what possible difference do salaries make? The NFL doesn't give you extra yards for having a low-priced player play well, or take away yards and points for having a great player stink up the joint. If they did, every team that Alvin Harper played on after Dallas would have never won a game. Come to think of it, maybe they didn't

:lol:

Hodge and Jennings could be the steal of the draft at their positions, respectively - making this a good potential draft but that final call is years away. Salaries do matter though - we got a value pick w/ Hodge instead of paying a FA more money to play linebacker (Arrington). That's a good sign for the Packers. You can put that in the presses :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 11:38 PM

That's a job for Statistic Man. :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2006, 11:45 PM
I don't think bulldog gets the Sims joke/satire.
:D

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 11:48 PM

Harvey your giving up. Get up off the DAM mat. Gut check time. :mrgreen:

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Hodge and Jennings could be the steal of the draft at their positions, respectively - making this a good potential draft but that final call is years away. Salaries do matter though - we got a value pick w/ Hodge instead of paying a FA more money to play linebacker (Arrington). That's a good sign for the Packers. You can put that in the presses :mrgreen:

Obviously, it's too early to tell. Hodge filled the hole very nicely tonight and showed some good instincts. And if you're looking for anything to be optimistic about, it doesn't hurt to look at Jennings. But I dispute the claim that Jennings would be a steal at his position. he was in the top 5 receivers picked and he was picked high in the second round. There's nothing to suggest he'll be a breakaway talent at WR, just a solid starter. You should be able to get a solid starter at WR without much difficulty anywhere from rounds 2-5.

b bulldog
08-05-2006, 11:51 PM
I guess I'm missing something in regards to Sims. I'm pretty slow so an explanation might help

mraynrand
08-05-2006, 11:52 PM

Nice to see an old school Brewers fan on the chat. This is no joke Harvey. Matt Millen stocked the cupboard full in Detroit this offseason. The conventional wisdom is that you build a great defense down the middle, and Millen put Sims in the MLB position with the outstanding safety from Nebraska, to go with a D-line that reminds one of the old doomsday defense of old. Coupled with a great selcetion in the third round of a RB with sky is the limit talent, Millen's prowess as GM is shining through.

woodbuck27
08-05-2006, 11:54 PM

Nice to see an old school Brewers fan on the chat. This is no joke Harvey. Matt Millen stocked the cupboard full in Detroit this offseason. The conventional wisdom is that you build a great defense down the middle, and Millen put Sims in the MLB position with the outstanding safety from Nebraska, to go with a D-line that reminds one of the old doomsday defense of old. Coupled with a great selcetion in the third round of a RB with sky is the limit talent, Millen's prowess as GM is shining through.

Your serious? :roll:

b bulldog
08-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Bullocks

b bulldog
08-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Detroit doesn't have any WR's :oops:

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2006, 11:58 PM
You got Woody now also. Fellas, re-read the original post on this thread.

b bulldog
08-06-2006, 12:00 AM
The Lions did have a very good draft this season. Millen's best by far.

mraynrand
08-06-2006, 12:05 AM
The Lions did have a very good draft this season. Millen's best by far.

How the hell do you know? If I had a nickle for every fan with a crystal ball telling me what draft picks are locks and which team 'graded better' in the draft, I'd have enough money to afford surgery to fix my ulcer. Why do you think the Lions had a great draft? Did Mel Kiper tell you that? Or did you read it in one of the post-draft trade magazines. Most of those guys never had to do the work tht it takes to become a seasoned scout or analyst. They only had to learn how to apply hair gel. The fact that I agree with you doesn't mean that your not full of crap.

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Sims was a reach. That guy couldn't take on a block to save his life. Might be a great athlete, but he certainly doesn't play as well as his athletic ability would lead you to believe.

b bulldog
08-06-2006, 12:08 AM
I go off of what I think and the round in which the players are picked. The three LB's in this years draft who all were thought by some to be the best were Hawk,Sims and Greenway. Sims is a great fit in Detroit if he can stay on the field.

mraynrand
08-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Sims was a reach. That guy couldn't take on a block to save his life. Might be a great athlete, but he certainly doesn't play as well as his athletic ability would lead you to believe.

How do you know Harvey? How many college LBs have you scouted? Has Detroit even taken the field yet this year? Already you're pronouncing judgment with nothing to go on. I thought I already explained how the great Detroit tackles were going to protect Sims from having to take on blocks in the first place. I'll be right back, I have to tak 800mg of Advil and it's impossible to see my way around in the bowels of Lambeau field after they shut off the main lights.

b bulldog
08-06-2006, 12:10 AM
iT'S NICE TO KNOW THAT hARV WON'T ONLY BE A fAVRE APOLOGIST, BUT A hAWK APOLOGIST ALSO.

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2006, 12:17 AM
It's nice to know bulldog will forget to turn off his CAPS LOCK.

Hawk apologist in what way? Whatever! I'm not wasting my 2000th post getting into the same tired argument with you.

mraynrand
08-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Well, it looks like the questions have reduced to a trickle, just like my swollen-prostate influenced urine stream, so I think I'll hang it up for the night. Thanks for all the questions and don't worry, if you have more questions for Cleft Crusty, I'll try to answer them or reply in my weblog. I'll probably be up all night with heartburn anyway. Good Night!

b bulldog
08-06-2006, 12:40 AM
yOU MENTIONED THE COLLEGE TEAM Harv

Partial
08-06-2006, 01:40 AM
Who was the most impressive player on the scrimmage?

FritzDontBlitz
08-06-2006, 01:56 AM
pretty funny stuff

the_idle_threat
08-06-2006, 03:02 AM
Very funny! :mrgreen:

Re: Ernie Sims ... a hart-hitting linebacker with a concussion problem is kind of like a gymnast with a vertigo problem.

mraynrand
08-23-2006, 09:02 AM
This is the mock chat with real quesions from Packer Rats, 007.

woodbuck27
08-23-2006, 12:22 PM
You got Woody now also. Fellas, re-read the original post on this thread.

You got me Harvey !! It's NOW Christl clear. :mrgreen: