PDA

View Full Version : Finley might be headed to the IR

imscott72
10-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Out at least 8-10 weeks now.. Packers deciding on what to do.. :cry: :cry:

denverYooper
10-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Packers TE Jermichael Finley telling teammates he's done for the season. Surgery revealed much more damage than expected

imscott72
10-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Packers TE Jermichael Finley telling teammates he's done for the season. Surgery revealed much more damage than expected

Surgery didn't reveal more damage. They decided to completely repair the meniscus, which takes more time to heal. It's the right decision for Finley's future.

packers11
10-13-2010, 12:03 PM
You have to be fucking kidding ... can't he just come back for the playoffs? (If they make it)

imscott72
10-13-2010, 12:05 PM
You have to be fucking kidding ... can't he just come back for the playoffs? (If they make it)

Can't afford to hold open the roster spot with so many players down. This team is done.

get louder at lambeau
10-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Can't afford to hold open the roster spot with so many players down. This team is done.

I kinda agree about the roster spot, not so much about the team being done quite yet. I wonder if they keep him on the roster for a week or two to see how he progresses, hoping that he's a fast healer. He IS very young, so he should heal faster than a Harris or Barnett.

denverYooper
10-13-2010, 12:14 PM

I still maintain that our D will keep us in our fair share of games as long as Clay is not out. Our O will adjust and be better than most.

retailguy
10-13-2010, 12:15 PM
look on the bright side of things. When we promote all the practice sqaud players we'll have the youngest team in the league... again.

The new guys just have to play. Team isn't done yet, certainly, but the odds are pointing in that direction.

swede
10-13-2010, 12:21 PM
This is an interesting choice of words:

"They decided to completely repair the meniscus, which takes more time to heal..."

Generally, as in my son's case, they remove the torn portion of the cartilage. Mark Ingram and Marion Barber had cartilage removed in arthroscopic procedures in August of this year and both were back playing in September.

Repairing a damaged meniscus might involve scraping the bone under the cartilage to excite the healing process or finding a way to tack it down or sew it up. These procedures take a long time to heal because these parts of the knee are relatively avascular. Without a lot of blood flow you can't have rapid healing.

It was a puzzling injury to begin with...he must have twisted it without any real contact with another player.

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2010, 12:22 PM
look on the bright side of things. When we promote all the practice sqaud players we'll have the youngest team in the league... again.

The new guys just have to play. Team isn't done yet, certainly, but the odds are pointing in that direction.

We might have young talent, but how is our practice squad going to fare starting against even the worst team in the league?

Anyone have a copy of our opening day depth chart with players scratched out?

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-13-2010, 12:28 PM
It really sucks that players keep getting hurt. But looking on the bright side we get to see if Quarless is a player. Imagine next seasons double TE set if he develops into a player.
We still have a lot of passing options with Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Nelson, and Quarless. A good coach could easily get 4tds a game with those options. MM is a crap coach IMO though. This could be good for Rodgers also. It seems he developed a homo love affair with throwing it to Finley above all else.

retailguy
10-13-2010, 12:30 PM

We might have young talent, but how is our practice squad going to fare starting against even the worst team in the league?

Look, I understand, but you can't get past the fact that if you do not invite available veteran talent to your training camp and preseason, and keep some of them, when you go looking for that talent in October or later, you either have to give up a high draft choice (which is almost NEVER a good idea), or you have to get them up to speed and compete with anyone else that is injured.

The fact is, that most veteran talent available won't help us right now any more effectively than the young guys. So, you might as well play the young guys and let them learn.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-13-2010, 12:35 PM

No but off the top of my head.....Jolly (drugs), Harrell, Pickett, Barnett, Chillar, Matthews, Shields, Harris, Bell, Blackman, Bibgy, Burnett, Martin, Porter (RB), Starks, Grant, Flinley, Lee (TE), Rodgers (we will see), Tuacher, and Clifton (Always hurt).

That doesn't inlclude players who came back from injury.......Underwood, Lee (CB), Jones (OLB), Jenkins (playing hurt), Woodson(playing with toe injury), and Neal (missed three games).

I think it would have been faster to list healthy players instead!

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2010, 12:49 PM

Look, I understand, but you can't get past the fact that if you do not invite available veteran talent to your training camp and preseason, and keep some of them, when you go looking for that talent in October or later, you either have to give up a high draft choice (which is almost NEVER a good idea), or you have to get them up to speed and compete with anyone else that is injured.

The fact is, that most veteran talent available won't help us right now any more effectively than the young guys. So, you might as well play the young guys and let them learn.

I've never been on board with going out and (over)paying for vets at the expense of keeping the cupboard full. I certainly want the young guys to play now that they have the (unfortunate) opportunity. I just don't think that the window is still open on this season.

TennesseePackerBacker
10-13-2010, 12:59 PM
I was happy we had a late bye-week this year. After all the injuries, it seems more like a curse than a blessing. I'm not writing them off yet. However, they have a much steeper hill to climb now, and it's left to the healthy ones to do that climbing starting now.

Rodgers, Jennings, Woodson, and Driver all need to step it up pronto. Harris and Bigby need to prove they can help. The offensive line needs to solidify, although I think we are in our last year of seeing Tausch and Clif man the bookends.

Is the season over? Not even close. However, we are in one of the toughest divisions in football and it'll be a tough fight. We need our coaches to step up now more than ever.

retailguy
10-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I've never been on board with going out and (over)paying for vets at the expense of keeping the cupboard full. I certainly want the young guys to play now that they have the (unfortunate) opportunity. I just don't think that the window is still open on this season.

MPH, I wasn't saying you were advocating overspending, at all. I agree with you. My position is at this point of the season, there are very few available players that will help us, and probably none better than the practice squad guys we've got.

I don't think there is any alternative but to play those guys, OR, trade for a bunch of guys at higher than fair prices, which is stupid.

mraynrand
10-13-2010, 01:26 PM

Look, I understand, but you can't get past the fact that if you do not invite available veteran talent to your training camp and preseason, and keep some of them...

What can this mean? The Packers had veteran talent on their team. At TE, they had Lee, and brought in Crabtree for teams, drafted Quarless, and had Havner left over from last year. They were deep, deep, deep. Whom else (specifically 'veteran talent') did you have in mind that they bring in? Why in the world would they bring in more veterans when they already had 5 on the roster and had to get rid of one reasonably talented guy at cut down?

The remarkable thing is that they are still probably more talented at TE than half the teams in the NFL, albeit inexperienced.

If you're going to hop to other positions than TE, maybe you bring in a vet, but what are the chances they make the team? And at what cost?

Realistically, no team can withstand multiple, year-ending injuries to key players. The Packers have incredible depth, and look to be able to continue to field a competitive team, even with the current disaster.

Bossman641
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
This season is such BS. Super bowl dreams just shattered by injuries after only 5 weeks!!!

And RG, I know you will take this opportunity to question TT’s strategy of not getting veterans, but I think that’s a load of crock. What veterans are we talking here? Sure, TT could have signed some veteran backups, but there is no assurance they would be better then younger backups. No veteran player worth a damn would sign on to be a backup somewhere. IMO, the backups we have have performed admirably. I’d say that’s pretty good validation of TT’s approach. No team could handle this many injuries. Check out any depth chart in the NFL and cross out their starting RB (Grant), TE (Finley), S (Burnett), and ST ace (Martin). Gone for the year. Then go ahead and cross out their starting QB (Rodgers), RT (Tauscher), DE (Pickett), ILB (Barnett), and OLB (Matthews) and their backup TE (Lee), DE (Harrell), OLB (Chillar), S (Bigby), #2 CB (Harris), and #4 CB (Shields). We have lost or look like we will lose all that for at least some amount of time.

The two main questions from the offseason were whether the pass rush be good enough and whether the pass defense hold up.

I don’t think even the biggest critic could complain about the pass rush – 21 sacks (#2 in the league) and consistent rush. The one criticism you could make here is that Jones hasn’t improved as expected. Everything else (new wrinkles in the D, Matthews’ improvement, pressure from the DL) has been proven true.

The pass defense has been good enough. Even with all the injuries it has held up pretty well and hasn’t been torched as worried about.

At some point you just throw up your hands and say enough is enough.

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2010, 01:31 PM

MPF, I wasn't saying you were advocating overspending, at all. I agree with you. My position is at this point of the season, there are very few available players that will help us, and probably none better than the practice squad guys we've got.

I don't think there is any alternative but to play those guys, OR, trade for a bunch of guys at higher than fair prices, which is stupid.

Totally agree. I didnt think that grabbing a vet RB would help us any more than pillaging someone's practice squad would. It makes the most sense to play what we've got (like you said). I think we just have to reasonably adjust expectations for the season. THe young guys may certainly have potential, but I don't see it being fully developed and machine-like by the end of the season. There will be growing pains with this much of the roster lost. I am glad that TT has a lot there.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-13-2010, 01:41 PM
This season is such BS. Super bowl dreams just shattered by injuries after only 5 weeks!!!

And RG, I know you will take this opportunity to question TT’s strategy of not getting veterans, but I think that’s a load of crock. What veterans are we talking here? Sure, TT could have signed some veteran backups, but there is no assurance they would be better then younger backups. No veteran player worth a damn would sign on to be a backup somewhere. IMO, the backups we have have performed admirably. I’d say that’s pretty good validation of TT’s approach. No team could handle this many injuries. Check out any depth chart in the NFL and cross out their starting RB (Grant), TE (Finley), S (Burnett), and ST ace (Martin). Gone for the year. Then go ahead and cross out their starting QB (Rodgers), RT (Tauscher), DE (Pickett), ILB (Barnett), and OLB (Matthews) and their backup TE (Lee), DE (Harrell), OLB (Chillar), S (Bigby), #2 CB (Harris), and #4 CB (Shields). We have lost or look like we will lose all that for at least some amount of time.

The two main questions from the offseason were whether the pass rush be good enough and whether the pass defense hold up.

I don’t think even the biggest critic could complain about the pass rush – 21 sacks (#2 in the league) and consistent rush. The one criticism you could make here is that Jones hasn’t improved as expected. Everything else (new wrinkles in the D, Matthews’ improvement, pressure from the DL) has been proven true.

The pass defense has been good enough. Even with all the injuries it has held up pretty well and hasn’t been torched as worried about.

Great post. This team was loaded for a superbowl run......what vet help do you want. I wanted TT to trade for lynch, but this team was ready for a run. No team and I mean no team can handle 20+ player injuries that this team has suffered.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-13-2010, 01:42 PM
NFL.com now saying that Finley has told teammates he is done for the year.

mraynrand
10-13-2010, 01:44 PM

That time is not yet here. Many o these guys can return, and some of the guys lost were not that critical or not playing at a high level. (Lose Martin, you lose something on teams, but you get back several 15 yard personal foul penalties!)

ThunderDan
10-13-2010, 01:58 PM

Does signing a veteran stop a player from landing on his ankle and injuring him? Does signing a veteran stop Finley's injury? How many veterans can you sign when Harris, Bigby, Burnett, Barnett, D Martin, Shields, Matthews, Jones all get hurt? I mean we would have to have 10+ veterans to stop the injury flood this year.

Even with all of our injuries last week at WASH our "Novices" held up pretty damn well.

green_bowl_packer
10-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Jermichael has tweeted:

JermichaelF88 RT @CourtFinley88: Did the press release something? My phone is blowing up. What's going on?!?

time stamped two hours ago. I'm thinking it's policy with a fine; if he puts it out there before MM/TT/GBP do. seems like he's playing dumb.

She hopes its not true.

http://i.imgur.com/k3jJN.gif

woodbuck27
10-13-2010, 02:16 PM
We're going to see just this and it's a good thing too:

How much real depth we have. It's looking really dark now. The Bears have to lose and nothing informs us to panic RE: Vikings.

Fritz
10-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Jermichael has tweeted:

JermichaelF88 RT @CourtFinley88: Did the press release something? My phone is blowing up. What's going on?!?

time stamped two hours ago. I'm thinking it's policy with a fine; if he puts it out there before MM/TT/GBP do. seems like he's playing dumb.

She hopes its not true.

http://i.imgur.com/k3jJN.gif

Most of the people around her are laughing. They must be Viking fans.

retailguy
10-13-2010, 03:11 PM

Isn't what I said at all.

I haven't bashed Ted once for "doing nothing" in October. In fact, I've said over and over and over that in October his hands are tied unless he wants to overpay for someone that likely won't help us anyhow.

My point was directed at those who have been screaming TRADE at the top of their lungs for every recognizable name. What my point meant is that Player X can only be so useful if they haven't been in camp or played preseason or games.

Rand - at the end of the day, the only place you can point where a couple of vets might have made a difference is at LB. We went a position short at LB anyhow, and some of the depth is questionable at best. There were LB'ers avaiable that "might" have helped. In October, bringing in Thomas, for example, isn't much of a help. He hasn't been here, hasn't played with the team, or in the scheme, and you could build a case that the young guy sitting on the practice squad that knows the playbook and the players could be just as much help, if not more.

My point is that it is TOO LATE for veterans in October. If we were going to get veterans we should have done that in MARCH, or before JULY at the latest. Hoping they would help today is foolishness. Let the team play, and enjoy the ride. We got the guys we got. Let the young guys develop. If we're going to do it differently, that's for next season. (but we won't, we'll do the same thing again, and if we don't get massive injuries we'll see where that leads us.)

mraynrand
10-13-2010, 03:29 PM
My point is that it is TOO LATE for veterans in October. If we were going to get veterans we should have done that in MARCH, or before JULY at the latest. Hoping they would help today is foolishness.

I agree. In retrospect, it seems strange that there wasn't more of an effort to challenge that LB crew with a draft pick or a FA, especially since they seem to like that Psycho package and that they really were a little thin in pass rushing. But maybe that's just how the chips fell...

Bossman641
10-13-2010, 03:36 PM

Isn't what I said at all.

I haven't bashed Ted once for "doing nothing" in October. In fact, I've said over and over and over that in October his hands are tied unless he wants to overpay for someone that likely won't help us anyhow.

My point was directed at those who have been screaming TRADE at the top of their lungs for every recognizable name. What my point meant is that Player X can only be so useful if they haven't been in camp or played preseason or games.

Rand - at the end of the day, the only place you can point where a couple of vets might have made a difference is at LB. We went a position short at LB anyhow, and some of the depth is questionable at best. There were LB'ers avaiable that "might" have helped. In October, bringing in Thomas, for example, isn't much of a help. He hasn't been here, hasn't played with the team, or in the scheme, and you could build a case that the young guy sitting on the practice squad that knows the playbook and the players could be just as much help, if not more.

My point is that it is TOO LATE for veterans in October. If we were going to get veterans we should have done that in MARCH, or before JULY at the latest. Hoping they would help today is foolishness. Let the team play, and enjoy the ride. We got the guys we got. Let the young guys develop. If we're going to do it differently, that's for next season. (but we won't, we'll do the same thing again, and if we don't get massive injuries we'll see where that leads us.)

I'm not sure where we differ. I understand your point - you are big on veteran FA signings.

My point simply was that veterans are just as much a shot in the dark as young players are - at least for the levels we would have been filling. There was no need for a big name, starter FA signing. The signings we would have been making would have been for depth, your Marquand Manual types. You can fault TT for failing in that bucket when he has tried before, but generally there is a reason why those guys are available.

No amount of FA signings - not now, not in July, would have covered the injuries we have faced.

I know you are big on Adalius Thomas and maybe he still is a player, but has even had any workouts? I am not being sarcastic or anything. I am generally wondering if any teams have worked him out.

CaptainKickass
10-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Crap - I thought it was in this thread but -

Didn't I read that we have 18 players out injured, the league average is 8, and the next closest team has a measly 13 injuries?