PDA

View Full Version : Finley to be back for potential playoff run!

packers11
10-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Like I posted earlier in the Finley to IR thread...

"You have to be fucking kidding ... can't he just come back for the playoffs? (If they make it)"

I knew it, if he was going to healthy by week 16/17... Why in gods name when you save a roster spot if you have potential to sneak into the playoffs and have him back for a Super Bowl run...

JF's twitter...

"Go Pack Go. Im coming back for Play Offs and the Super Bowl. See ya then!
30 minutes ago via web"

imscott72
10-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Finley's being hopeful. No decision has been made yet, so if TT puts him on the IR he's done for the entire year. I just don't know how they hold open that roster spot that long given all the injuries.

packerbacker1234
10-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Well have you seen us without Grant? He was just as vital for our offense and could of been ready for the playoffs, but he was still put on IR and this was BEFORE we had so many injury problems.

We would have to hold his roster spot all season, and while I wont put it past the packers to do that, fact remains we have to get TO the playoffs first,a dn we do that primarily with a break out rookie year for crabtree and quareless, you can't just say "thanks for getting us their this year, now kindly go back to the bench for the twice injured finley"

Honestly, I actually think it's best to shelve him. If we make the playoffs, it will be in part because the rookeis answered the call, so let them just have this seasona nd make sure finley is ready for 2011.

ThunderDan
10-13-2010, 06:20 PM
We would have to hold his roster spot all season, and while I wont put it past the packers to do that, fact remains we have to get TO the playoffs first,a dn we do that primarily with a break out rookie year for crabtree and quareless, you can't just say "thanks for getting us their this year, now kindly go back to the bench for the twice injured finley"

Sure you can. If they don't IR Finley, he will be the starter as soon as he is ready.

packerbacker1234
10-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Sure you can. If they don't IR Finley, he will be the starter as soon as he is ready.

Even if it's a detriment to team chemistry? There were already talks about when he was healthy how he may have, some how, negatively affected our passing game, and now if we turn it around and one of the two rookies has a big year witht he other WR's stepping up, they get 50+ catches, we make the playoffs, you say "thanks for that, now go back to the pine?". I don't think that is a smart move. Team chemistry.

Finely needs time to work his way back into the offense - doing that during the playoffs ona team that got there without him isn't the best of times. I still say possibly out the rest of the regular season?

IR him. IF you don't, you are also telling Grant, who could of been back before him, that he isn't valuable to our offense but finely is, which in reality, they are both very valuable to our offense.

PLUS we have a shit ton of injuries. Hard pressed to hold a spot for him when we are now forcing rookies onto the field.

MadtownPacker
10-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Finley should STFU. Coast me on FF this weekend. By the time he is ready to come back Quarless will have like 10TDs. :D

retailguy
10-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Finley should STFU. Coast me on FF this weekend. By the time he is ready to come back Quarless will have like 10TDs. :D

better be careful.... Finley is liable to smite you. :twisted:

ThunderDan
10-13-2010, 08:16 PM

Even if it's a detriment to team chemistry? There were already talks about when he was healthy how he may have, some how, negatively affected our passing game, and now if we turn it around and one of the two rookies has a big year witht he other WR's stepping up, they get 50+ catches, we make the playoffs, you say "thanks for that, now go back to the pine?". I don't think that is a smart move. Team chemistry.

Finely needs time to work his way back into the offense - doing that during the playoffs ona team that got there without him isn't the best of times. I still say possibly out the rest of the regular season?

IR him. IF you don't, you are also telling Grant, who could of been back before him, that he isn't valuable to our offense but finely is, which in reality, they are both very valuable to our offense.

PLUS we have a shit ton of injuries. Hard pressed to hold a spot for him when we are now forcing rookies onto the field.

There are 3 players on this team that you do not IR and hold a spot if needed. They are ARod, CMIII and Finley.

Finley has so much more talent than Quarless or Crabtree that you would sit either as soon as Finley comes back.

retailguy
10-13-2010, 08:20 PM
There are 3 players on this team that you do not IR and hold a spot if needed. They are ARod, CMIII and Finley.

Finley has so much more talent than Quarless or Crabtree that you would sit either as soon as Finley comes back.

I'm not sure that Finley is that much more talented than Quarless. Definitely more experienced, and we've been through the learning curve, and the growing up process.

Today, Finley is clearly more valuable than Quarless, but I think this kid has got enough talent to be just as good. Will he? Who knows.

I agree with holding a spot for him though. That's what the inactives are for, and we've now got enough young guys any more aren't likely to play anyhow.

wist43
10-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Not sure it really matters... losing Finley hurts a lot, but not as much as losing Grant.

Teams are going to tee off on Rodgers for the next 11 weeks, the defense has been hit hard by injuries and was suspect to begin with, and the special teams aren't so special.

With or without Finley, I don't see how any team overcomes all of that and makes a Super Bowl run.

mission
10-13-2010, 08:28 PM

I'm not sure that Finley is that much more talented than Quarless. Definitely more experienced, and we've been through the learning curve, and the growing up process.

Today, Finley is clearly more valuable than Quarless, but I think this kid has got enough talent to be just as good. Will he? Who knows.

I agree with holding a spot for him though. That's what the inactives are for, and we've now got enough young guys any more aren't likely to play anyhow.

Just the fact that Quarless "cradles" when he catches and Finley uses his hands is a HUGE difference in skills. All the measurables are great but when the balls in the air, you gotta be able to come down with it.

ThunderDan
10-13-2010, 08:38 PM

I agree in 2 years maybe Quarless is on the same level. He needs at least 2 years in an NFL weight room to get stronger. Plus I don't think he catches as well right now. Quarless let's the ball come to him instead of going out and getting it.

Patler
10-13-2010, 08:38 PM
If it is 8 weeks - maybe they hold a spot. If it looks like 10 weeks, I doubt they will.

I wouldn't be surprised if neither Finley nor Barnett are IR'ed right away, until they get through the PUP activations and the bye week to see how many bodies are available to practice. If Tauscher, Lee, Mathews and/or Picket are on 2-4 week schedules, they may not be able to also hold spots for Barnett and/or Finley.

mraynrand
10-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Not sure it really matters... losing Finley hurts a lot, but not as much as losing Grant.

I disagree. Finley's a game breaker, blue chip player. Grant's good, but he doesn't scare anyone. You don't have to scheme everything up for him.

I wouldn't hold Barnett's spot necessarily, but I would hold a spot for Finley. Packers did that for Levens in 1998, and it paid off....

wist43
10-14-2010, 06:19 AM

I disagree. Finley's a game breaker, blue chip player. Grant's good, but he doesn't scare anyone. You don't have to scheme everything up for him.

I wouldn't hold Barnett's spot necessarily, but I would hold a spot for Finley. Packers did that for Levens in 1998, and it paid off....

I agree that comparatively Finley is more valuable... but without Grant, there's no running game; no running game, no defense, no ST's = no SB. It's that simple.

The Packers could absorb the loss of anyone in the receiving corp more easily than the loss of Grant.

hoosier
10-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Without Finley and Grant and with guys like Driver underperforming or getting old, the Packers have zero chance of doing anything in the playoffs. I think they hold the spot for Finley if they think he can make it back by the end of the regular season. What is the point of signing someone off the street who's unlikely to make any impact in what already has the distinctive look of being a forgettable season?

packerbacker1234
10-14-2010, 08:28 AM
You know what I find amusing? For all the injuries our defense has taken... overall it's played pretty well. No, not top notch like we saw signs of when we had people healthy, but it's played good enough to win every single football game this year. That, to me, is impressive.

The problem, overall, is the offense and it's lack of an ability to do anything but gain yards.

We need more points.

3irty1
10-14-2010, 08:31 AM

Have you ever seen a TE who is that much better than Finley? Quarless is a nice player and thankfully can act as a poor man's Finley but considering what Finley has become its a little crazy to expect Quarless to ever reach that level. You can count the TEs that have on two hands.

mraynrand
10-14-2010, 08:48 AM

Have you ever seen a TE who is that much better than Finley? Quarless is a nice player and thankfully can act as a poor man's Finley but considering what Finley has become its a little crazy to expect Quarless to ever reach that level. You can count the TEs that have on two hands.

I agree. Finley is an extra crispy, limited time offer, ACT NOW!!! special talent. He runs patterns like a wide out. He gets out of his breaks faster than Gonzales or Davis, for example. Runs faster too. Looks smooth and fluid, catches with his hands. Davis may be more powerful brute strength wise, and both G and Davis may be better blocking, but clearly Finley is a game changer. Quarless isn't at Finley level - and probably never will be - but he already looks better than Lee, however. Key for the present is whether "God's Gift" is really omniscient and has the whole playbook down pat...

packerbacker1234
10-14-2010, 09:08 AM
God's gift is also developing injury issues, ala bob sanders. Great when he plays, but unreliable to make it through a season.

Two years ina row with injuries causing him to miss significant playing time. While neither issue is the type to stop or threaten his ability long haul, it still has tobe a worry. This is the 2nd time now.

mraynrand
10-14-2010, 10:03 AM
God's gift is also developing injury issues, ala bob sanders. Great when he plays, but unreliable to make it through a season.

Two years ina row with injuries causing him to miss significant playing time. While neither issue is the type to stop or threaten his ability long haul, it still has tobe a worry. This is the 2nd time now.

"GOD'S GIFT" are tats on Quarless' triceps.

Finley is just unlucky, getting involved in a fumble scrap this time. He's actually lucky that they can repair the meniscus. Sucks for the Packers short term though...

The way Sanders hits, I'm surprised he lasts a single game. Guy looks like Chuck Cecil out there lowering him head all the time - See what you tackle!

denverYooper
10-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Viva la Quarless!

He actually looks better than Finley did in his first year, IMHO. Might not have the body control but seems that he's a little faster and smarter.

Remember us all bitching about Finley having a 10 cent head because he missed an endzone fade and said something to the effect that Rodgers didn't place the pass correctly?

Quarless got called on a fade too but Rodgers threw the pass too low. Crickets from Q about it. He came back and caught a huge 21 yard pass to set up the potential game winner.

MadtownPacker
10-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Viva la Quarless!

He actually looks better than Finley did in his first year, IMHO. Might not have the body control but seems that he's a little faster and smarter.

Remember us all bitching about Finley having a 10 cent head because he missed an endzone fade and said something to the effect that Rodgers didn't place the pass correctly?

Quarless got called on a fade too but Rodgers threw the pass too low. Crickets from Q about it. He came back and caught a huge 21 yard pass to set up the potential game winner.Good stuff Yoop. I dont think anyone is saying that Quarless is all world like Finley, just that he looks all right and considering he is the #3 TE I would say we got pretty damn lucky with Lee going down.

Him not acting like an idiot ala Finley after his first game was cool too.

Fritz
10-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Since you have to have inactives every Sunday anyway can't you hold a spot open for Finley ? You have two other tight ends now and Lee should be back soon enough.

packers11
10-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Since you have to have inactives every Sunday anyway can't you hold a spot open for Finley ? You have two other tight ends now and Lee should be back soon enough.

+1

Agree 100% ...

Just keep him on the inactive list... Packers carried 4 TE's anyway knowing the whole season they'd have 4 on the 53 man roster... One was always inactive on game day... Just make that 1 be Finley

Guiness
10-14-2010, 12:59 PM

+1

Agree 100% ...

Just keep him on the inactive list... Packers carried 4 TE's anyway knowing the whole season they'd have 4 on the 53 man roster... One was always inactive on game day... Just make that 1 be Finley

Agreed they would do that if it wasn't for the rash of other injuries - the Pack has gone through 2 'body bag' games this season, and need roster room.

I'm sure they'd like to keep Finley in hopes that he'll be back for the playoffs. What they have to decide is if they think they can still make it short a roster spot.

Smidgeon
10-14-2010, 01:23 PM

But how many spots on the inactive list are they already using on projects?

Pugger
10-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Does any one know the "logic" behind the inactive list? If you have 53 guys on your roster why can't all of them suit up on game day? :cnf:

woodbuck27
10-14-2010, 09:35 PM

I agree that comparatively Finley is more valuable... but without Grant, there's no running game; no running game, no defense, no ST's = no SB. It's that simple.

The Packers could absorb the loss of anyone in the receiving corp more easily than the loss of Grant.

Yes. We all should have had a really bad feeling when we lost Grant. The repurcussions of that loss and no move to replace Grant will be obvious in a hindsight 20-20, in final analysys of this season.

I'm surprized that TT and MM didn't act fast to replace Grant. Now maybe, after last week and B. Jackson's success, MM will smarten up and better game plan for 'the run'. ** It looks like MM wants to open it up with the pass and still try to hold on after a good lead is obtained. Our 'D' is seriously depleated.

Wins will come from running a better offense.

** That strategy never seems to be a decent one in sports. You cannot hold onto your ass to protect a lead. You have to put in place an offensive strategy and get a lead and keep it going. That strategy has to mix the running and passing game.

That strategy keeps opposition defenses guessing and overall helps to protect the QB by taking pressure off of the passing game. If MM doesn't get there. Look for Aaron Rodgers to go down. The way it is now. We're seeing too much heat on Aaron Rodgers and that's really bad.

GO MM GO !

HowardRoark
10-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Finley is just unlucky, getting involved in a fumble scrap this time.

Never doing that shit again though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8npV4a1RFA

mraynrand
10-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Finley is just unlucky, getting involved in a fumble scrap this time.

Never doing that shit again though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8npV4a1RFA

Get better soon, Popeye!