PDA

View Full Version : Snap Thoughts

MichiganPackerFan
10-17-2010, 03:25 PM
The NFL has sent a message to the league that it is acceptable to T off on ARod. They may fine you after, but they will NOT throw a flag. Hit him as hard and illegally as you want. It's ok.

Bjack ran really well.

Bulaga got owned

Never expected to win this game with third & fourth string playing

The injuries have made this a lost season. Unfortunate with the talent going in.

Tramon is still impressive.

There better not be a damn lockout next year when we are healthy.

Penalties? The refs largely kept the flags in their pockets on both sides

CBS commentators suck. They're bitching about the elbow not being down, not even noticing the knee appeared to be down.

gbgary
10-17-2010, 03:27 PM
i don't feel like repeating myself...right now.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 03:28 PM
I agree & Fire McCarthy.

RashanGary
10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
If Clay Matthews gets healthy this week, we'll be fine. If he's out for extended time, we're done.

He changes the entire complexion of our defense.

gbgary
10-17-2010, 03:36 PM
concentrate on the nfc north and getting healthy...and getting another play caller. dang it...didn't want to repeat myself.

MJZiggy
10-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I think the defense is to be commended since we had backups of backups out there.

Is anyone going to consider the option of protecting the fucking quarterback? Fuck the illegal hits, what the hell are defenders doing back there in the first place?

The punt and kick coverage is going to drive me to drink. Find the guy with the ball and knock him on his ass. Make him remember you for next time.

Joemailman
10-17-2010, 03:38 PM
I just can't understand what's going on in this passing offense. They're not completing the underneath stuff. Last 2 games Arod is under 60% completions. That leads to not converting 3rd downs.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I think the defense is to be commended since we had backups of backups out there.

Is anyone going to consider the option of protecting the fucking quarterback? Fuck the illegal hits, what the hell are defenders doing back there in the first place?

The punt and kick coverage is going to drive me to drink. Find the guy with the ball and knock him on his ass. Make him remember you for next time.

Yup, defense not really the problem.

Bossman641
10-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Special teams blow (still). It seems like anytime we need Masthay to change the field position he fails.

I would love to see the avg. starting field positions from each week cause it seems like we start from inside the 25 every time.

MJZiggy
10-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I just can't understand what's going on in this passing offense. They're not completing the underneath stuff. Last 2 games Arod is under 60% completions. That leads to not converting 3rd downs.

There was one play where Arod rolled out to his right where he threw it away but had BJack open for the dumpoff. He might have gotten the first.

Joemailman
10-17-2010, 03:42 PM
The offense is looking liked they looked the 1st half of last season. Looking downfield too much.

Little Whiskey
10-17-2010, 03:45 PM
the fish were getting preasure with 4 down lineman. gb could hurry them with a blitz.

the f-ing penatly for frenchy over the center pissed me off. i'm interested to what the rule is. if the return man is on the same plane as the center, is that lining up over him? frenchy was a yard or two off the ball.

gbgary
lost three games by nine total points.

denverYooper

This is my concern. I feel like the line is playing better than last year, too.

I felt that this would be a rough, rough game with how banged up we are. For the second week now I've felt that the O would need to come up big because the D is so banged up, they had a guy (Francois) from the practice squad getting significant snaps and had to sign another guy off of the street. Yet another week, Capers and those guys have begged, borrowed, and stolen to keep the games close and our O just looks off.

denverYooper
10-17-2010, 03:47 PM
The offense is looking liked they looked the 1st half of last season. Looking downfield too much.

Lots of 5 step drops today, f'sure.

ND72
10-17-2010, 03:53 PM
The NFL has sent a message to the league that it is acceptable to T off on ARod. They may fine you after, but they will NOT throw a flag. Hit him as hard and illegally as you want. It's ok.

Bjack ran really well.

Bulaga got owned

CBS commentators suck. They're bitching about the elbow not being down, not even noticing the knee appeared to be down.

NO QUESTION.

I hate CBS.

gbgary
10-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Bjack ran really well.

Bulaga got owned

NO QUESTION.

I hate CBS.

when nfc is home and playing afc the afc network does the game and has ALWAYS had a bias toward the afc team. when nbc had the afc it was the same way.

denverYooper
10-17-2010, 04:08 PM
It was good to see Greg Jennings make some plays.

MJZiggy
10-17-2010, 04:11 PM
It was good to see Greg Jennings make some plays.

True. Had to spread it around more. There were a couple points where they did look to be getting into a rhythm.

ThunderDan
10-17-2010, 04:15 PM
The D got no pressure but kept GB in the game.

ST was bad again. I have to think that lining up over the center on the punt which cost us 7 points is going to be the end of Slocum.

The O keeps going away from the WCO that I like. No more slants and flairs to the RBs. We did screen more this week than the past weeks.

denverYooper
10-17-2010, 04:33 PM
TJ Lang wasn't half bad going 2 ways. Forgot he was in on D when they stuffed the 'Phins on 3rd & 4th.

pbmax
10-17-2010, 04:49 PM
It would help if someone, like Jordy or Jones, would decide whether or not to hang onto the football. In Jones' case, also would be nice if he completed running through a slant route, rather than stopping and letting the CB get in front of him.

MichiganPackerFan
10-17-2010, 04:50 PM
I also liked the play calling. I think they ran the ball enough, took some shots and still worked the short/ mid passing game well.

WHy is Jordy dropping so many balls?

Bulaga needed some help.

The reason for the loss is simple: with the injuries, their offensive personnel outclassed our defensive personnel.

This is a lost season. And it has nothing to do with coaching or the GM. Actually, TT gave us enough bottom of the roster talent to keep us in. With sherman, this could have been 45-3 loss.

I truly hope our practice squad can beat the vikes next week, because our first string would destroy them, we got beat twice last year and there needs to be some balance in the cosmos.

I have nothing to be upset about after this game. We can't expect our practice squad and bottom of the roster to compete with a full squad of starters, and yet they did.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 04:59 PM
I also liked the play calling. I think they ran the ball enough, took some shots and still worked the short/ mid passing game well.

WHy is Jordy dropping so many balls?

Bulaga needed some help.

The reason for the loss is simple: with the injuries, their offensive personnel outclassed our defensive personnel.

This is a lost season. And it has nothing to do with coaching or the GM. Actually, TT gave us enough bottom of the roster talent to keep us in. With sherman, this could have been 45-3 loss.

I truly hope our practice squad can beat the vikes next week, because our first string would destroy them, we got beat twice last year and there needs to be some balance in the cosmos.

I have nothing to be upset about after this game. We can't expect our practice squad and bottom of the roster to compete with a full squad of starters, and yet they did.

How is dropping the WCO calling good plays? Granted - great call on 4th and goal but that's all she wrote. We playing awful Raider ball on offense.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Another Packer loss is another nail in the coffin for McCarthy unless the injury card saves his big ass.

falco
10-17-2010, 05:19 PM
No way does the coach get tossed because he loses two games in OT with half the team on IR.

Whatever you are smoking, we need to get it legalized in the US as well.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 05:37 PM
No way does the coach get tossed because he loses two games in OT with half the team on IR.

:lol: OK

Seriously, McStubby didn't start coaching 2 weeks ago. You want McCarthy? Ok then, say hello to the mediocre era. U GOT IT!!!

I may be a fan of the Packers that's a fish out of water; I expect Packers to contend. My bad.

ND72
10-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Bjack ran really well.

Bulaga got owned

NO QUESTION.

I hate CBS.

when nfc is home and playing afc the afc network does the game and has ALWAYS had a bias toward the afc team. when nbc had the afc it was the same way.

my problem is never with the bias...my problem is with the stupidity of their comments. Dan Fouts used to be pretty decent...but wow he was horrible.

MJZiggy
10-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Bjack ran really well.

Bulaga got owned

NO QUESTION.

I hate CBS.

my problem is never with the bias...my problem is with the stupidity of their comments. Dan Fouts used to be pretty decent...but wow he was horrible.

I swear if I hear "the odds against a team that's 1-4" one more time...

Bossman641
10-17-2010, 06:07 PM

Seriously, McStubby didn't start coaching 2 weeks ago. You want McCarthy? Ok then, say hello to the mediocre era. U GOT IT!!!

I may be a fan of the Packers that's a fish out of water; I expect Packers to contend. My bad.

Contend even with the injuries they have?

4th string DE. 4th string OLB. 3rd string safety.

ND72
10-17-2010, 06:08 PM

I agree completely..I wish he would get canned...but I do agree.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 06:18 PM

D didn't lose this game. Go back to smoking.

NB - please start an OFFICIAL McCARTHY THE GREAT THREAD. You can weed it out there!

Fritz
10-17-2010, 06:19 PM
I was pissed at this loss, but upon reflection, if the team had:

Barnett
Matthews
Grant
Pickett
Finley

Do you think this team would've lost? I don't.

MichiganPackerFan
10-17-2010, 06:23 PM
MM called a good game with the players he had available. We shouldn't have been in the game with the personnel missing, however TT's method of building a team has young talent available and MM at least ran the ball continuously. Still too many drops (no way to blame that on the coaching) Bulaga got owned and needed help (that IS on coaching). Next season (god hope there is one) we'll have our starters back and an experienced depth chart thanks to an unfortunate season wrecked by injuries. Look forward to enjoying development of young players, but competing this year is NOT going to happen.

mission
10-17-2010, 06:25 PM

Barnett
Matthews
Grant
Pickett
Finley

OK, we would have won by three. The point still stands.

This team has always been a joke when it mattered under MM. Even many of our wins last year had teams coming back hard in the second half. It's not all coincidental.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 06:28 PM

Barnett
Matthews
Grant
Pickett
Finley

Maybe! Could be! Probably!

But that won't "fix" a loss that should not have been.

Injuries is a huge part of NFL & even McCarthy acknowledges that.
It's part of the game.
Packers 1-5 in OT under current HC.

mission
10-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Packers 1-5 in OT under current HC.

Speaks volumes.

Cheesehead Craig
10-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Someone may have said this earlier, but this is the 2nd team in a row that had the bye week prior to playing us.

bobblehead
10-17-2010, 06:31 PM

did ocheapshoto even get a fine?

MJZiggy
10-17-2010, 06:35 PM

$5k

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 06:36 PM
MM called a good game with the players he had available. We shouldn't have been in the game with the personnel missing, however TT's method of building a team has young talent available and MM at least ran the ball continuously. Still too many drops (no way to blame that on the coaching) Bulaga got owned and needed help (that IS on coaching). Next season (god hope there is one) we'll have our starters back and an experienced depth chart thanks to an unfortunate season wrecked by injuries. Look forward to enjoying development of young players, but competing this year is NOT going to happen.

Good post but I disagree. Playing the injury card on the last 2 games doesn't cut it and if this is a head coach calling good plays then I just don't see it. There's a pattern to McCarthy and he just can't adjust a game plan. WCO is missing in action too.

NB - I loved the call on 4th and goal - very Peyton like but McCarthy won't ever, ever bring a championship to Packers. Gut feeling & I got no evidence as I ain't got no crystal ball.

Bossman641
10-17-2010, 06:37 PM

NB - please start an OFFICIAL McCARTHY THE GREAT THREAD. You can weed it out there!

D didn't lose it but it's a team game and they didn't win it either. No pressure at all on Henne, couldn't stop the run.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Someone may have said this earlier, but this is the 2nd team in a row that had the bye week prior to playing us.

Glad you mentioned it; now that's a factor I believe is underrated. That one is on NFL Commish. I can't say how much it factors but teams off of byes just win more - much more.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 06:43 PM

Glad you mentioned it; now that's a factor I believe is underrated. That one is on NFL Commish. I can't say how much it factors but teams off of byes just win more - much more.

:lol: Even McCarthy wins after a bye: 3-1 is the record & two of those games went to OT (1 W, 1L).

mission
10-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Green Bay is 1-11 in their last 12 games decided by 4 points or less.

packerbacker1234
10-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I was thinking to myself when we scored the late TD "you know, maybe we should go for 2 and just end it here. We haven't been winning close games lately, especially in OT, and this team is decimated with a lack of depth"

I don't disagree with taking the tie and going to OT, but I didn't think it would be great if we went for it instead, just based on the health of the football team.

In either case, the defense hasn't really been that bad. No pressure ont eh QB, team got yards on the ground, but bottom line is they didn't really score much - and our offense failed to put points on the board. We need to revert back to dinkin gan dunking. 3 step drop and throw type patterns. We have poor pass protection and no finley over the middle. Time to go back to the quick throw offense.

3irty1
10-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I was thinking to myself when we scored the late TD "you know, maybe we should go for 2 and just end it here. We haven't been winning close games lately, especially in OT, and this team is decimated with a lack of depth"

I don't disagree with taking the tie and going to OT, but I didn't think it would be great if we went for it instead, just based on the health of the football team.

In either case, the defense hasn't really been that bad. No pressure ont eh QB, team got yards on the ground, but bottom line is they didn't really score much - and our offense failed to put points on the board. We need to revert back to dinkin gan dunking. 3 step drop and throw type patterns. We have poor pass protection and no finley over the middle. Time to go back to the quick throw offense.

I felt like we didn't belong there at the point and were playing with the houses money so to speak. I simply don't think a coach can go for it in that situation without taking a ton of heat. Honestly I was just glad that no players were knocked out for the season and would have excepted the loss knowing that at least we won't have to play another series or two and expose our team to more unnecessary football where they could be more injured. Plus we are 1-5 in OT with MM.

MichiganPackerFan
10-17-2010, 07:59 PM

$5k

but no flag :evil:
"Open season"

Little Whiskey
10-17-2010, 08:05 PM
I was kinda hopeing he would go for 2 at the end of the game too. i wouldn't have blamed him if he tried.

MJZiggy
10-17-2010, 08:10 PM
I was kinda hopeing he would go for 2 at the end of the game too. i wouldn't have blamed him if he tried.

Me either. Going for the win and all that.

3irty1
10-17-2010, 08:30 PM

The more I think about it the smarter it would have been. I think its safe to say that OT is a 50% success rate and I'm pretty sure that the NFL-wide 2-pt conversion rate is nearly the same in recent seasons (can anybody dig this up?). You'd like to think that while not particularly impressive today that an offense like Green Bay's could convert a little higher. At the very least it keeps your injury-wrecked team from playing unnecessary football.

Shanahan went for 2 in the same situation a couple of years ago in an ugly win over the Chargers. That was the game where Hochuli screwed the Chargers super hard on some other controversial call. Afterwards Shanahan said something about how he just decided to go for it because he was playing with the house's money or something.

MichiganPackerFan
10-17-2010, 08:33 PM

Shanahan went for 2 in the same situation a couple of years ago in an ugly win over the Chargers. That was the game where Hochuli screwed the Chargers super hard on some other controversial call. Afterwards Shanahan said something about how he just decided to go for it because he was playing with the house's money or something.

I always thought he went for gamesmanship. He new it was a bad call and gave SD a chance to beat them if they could.

Joemailman
10-17-2010, 08:35 PM
In my opinion, you don't go for 2 in that situation when your QB is barely completing 50% of his passes on the day.

MichiganPackerFan
10-17-2010, 08:41 PM
In my opinion, you don't go for 2 in that situation when your QB is barely completing 50% of his passes on the day.

I would watch the game again, but i deleted it (intentionally). How much of the 50% was drops?

Joemailman
10-17-2010, 08:45 PM

I would watch the game again, but i deleted it (intentionally). How much of the 50% was drops?

Not a lot today I don't believe, but does it matter? I wasn't trying to single out Arod. My point is that when you are barely completing 50%, no matter the reason, going for 2 there would be too much of a gamble.

MichiganPackerFan
10-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Not a lot today I don't believe, but does it matter? I wasn't trying to single out Arod. My point is that when you are barely completing 50%, no matter the reason, going for 2 there would be too much of a gamble.

I agree it would have been a huge gamble. The typical answer is play for the tie at home and the win on the road, generally because your back is against the wall on the road. I would have been happy to see him go for it, because this roster has GB's back against the wall.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 08:56 PM
It's funny that the unit with the most injuries, the D, is playing way better the unit with fewer injuries, namely the O.
Coaching? Play calling? Hmm! 8-)

denverYooper
10-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Green Bay is 1-11 in their last 12 games decided by 4 points or less.

They're just good enough to break your heart.

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Quite honestly, the loss didn't hurt as much because I just assumed they'd lose. Let's be real here. If you had told me before the year that Grant, Finley, Tauscher, Pickett, Neal, Barnett, Matthews, Chillar, Bigby, Burnett, Harris, Martin, etc. would all be hurt, I'd tell you that it would be hard for us to win a game. I'm actually surprised we've hung in games. I've come to the early realization that this isn't our year. This isn't the same team that we all had Super Bowl aspirations over. You just can't overcome THAT many injuries.

Noodle
10-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Patler could find good stats, but the best I could find was a site that showed two-point conversion percentages per team -- last year, we were at 60%, with no attempts this year. League average in 2009 was 40%, but it has been as high as 60%, according to an NY Times story.

I don't blame him, but I would have gone for two. It was asking a lot of a jury-rigged D to make a stop in OT (even though they did), and I think the Fins were kind of discombobulated after the way Rodgers walked in the TD. Hit 'em when they're on their heels, you know.

3irty1
10-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Patler could find good stats, but the best I could find was a site that showed two-point conversion percentages per team -- last year, we were at 60%, with no attempts this year. League average in 2009 was 40%, but it has been as high as 60%, according to an NY Times story.

I don't blame him, but I would have gone for two. It was asking a lot of a jury-rigged D to make a stop in OT (even though they did), and I think the Fins were kind of discombobulated after the way Rodgers walked in the TD. Hit 'em when they're on their heels, you know.

I'm not sure that play wouldn't have worked twice. They came out in that formation the first time and Miami called a TO to make sense of it.

Noodle
10-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Agree, wouldn't call the same play twice, I'm just saying there seemed to be a lot of confusion in Fin-land after the TD play, so line up while they're still bitching at each other and use a different play, but run it quick.

It's not like they never practice a two-point conversion practice in TC. Blow the dust off a play from the package and run it. Quick.

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 01:10 AM
The two point conversion at home to win? It's just not done. Ask Dave Wannstedt how well that worked out for him.

I would have liked to see it, given how ugly the game ended, but you would have heard a lot of carping had they gone for it and failed.

Pugger
10-18-2010, 01:25 AM

Our PS and 3rd string defenders couldn't get off the field. Miami had the ball for over 37 minutes to our 28. We made Henne look like Peyton Manning and didn't lay a finger on him. Injuries have ruined this season and we are now a shell of what we were coming out of TC. It is all rather sad, frankly.

Patler
10-18-2010, 01:31 AM
Our PS and 3rd string defenders couldn't get off the field. Miami had the ball for over 37 minutes to our 28. We made Henne look like Peyton Manning and didn't lay a finger on him. Injuries have ruined this season and we are now a shell of what we were coming out of TC. It is all rather sad, frankly.

The offense is struggling more than the defense, and has been all season so far. Yet, all they were missing was Grant, one player. Even with the loss now of Finley, its not an excuse for the offense. Finley has been more about what he can mean, than what he has meant to the offense. This was a good offense before Finley emerged, and should be without him, too.

HarveyWallbangers
10-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Anybody who thinks you can lose the players we lost and not have it affect the team is insane. I see that picture being painted right now. Yes, I realize many players could be playing better (Rodgers and Woodson included). But how many think we wouldn't 5-1 if Clay Matthews hadn't gotten hurt last week? And that's one player. You just have a lot more margin for error when other guys can lean on the likes of Grant, Finley, Pickett, Neal, Barnett, Matthews, Chillar, etc. I think it speaks to the depth on the team that we can compete against a decent Miami team when 2 of our 4 best DL, 3 of our 5 best LBs, a solid corner, and 3 of our best 4 or 5 safeties are out. It is what it is. Sure, we could scratch and claw and beat these ordinary teams, but any Super Bowl aspirations are pretty much history in my book. Yes, our offense should have scored a bit more--despite the loss of Grant, Finley, and Tauscher--but Miami is an offense that a good defense should throttle. And their strength is their defense, so it's not shocking that the offense struggled. Instead, Henne got all day to pass and ate up most of the clock. If healthy, perhaps our offense is given more time to find their rhythm. And let's face it, Finley's emergence was one of the two biggest reasons our offense went from solid (I wouldn't classify us as good before that) to very good last year. That and Rodgers improved pocket awareness.

3irty1
10-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Anybody who thinks you can lose the players we lost and not have it affect the team is insane. I see that picture being painted right now. Yes, I realize many players could be playing better (Rodgers and Woodson included). But how many think we wouldn't 5-1 if Clay Matthews hadn't gotten hurt last week? And that's one player. You just have a lot more margin for error when other guys can lean on the likes of Grant, Finley, Pickett, Neal, Barnett, Matthews, Chillar, etc. I think it speaks to the depth on the team that we can compete against a decent Miami team when 2 of our 4 best DL, 3 of our 5 best LBs, a solid corner, and 3 of our best 4 or 5 safeties are out. It is what it is. Sure, we could scratch and claw and beat these ordinary teams, but any Super Bowl aspirations are pretty much history in my book. Yes, our offense should have scored a bit more--despite the loss of Grant, Finley, and Tauscher--but Miami is an offense that a good defense should throttle. And their strength is their defense, so it's not shocking that the offense struggled. Instead, Henne got all day to pass and ate up most of the clock. If healthy, perhaps our offense is given more time to find their rhythm. And let's face it, Finley's emergence was one of the two biggest reasons our offense went from solid (I wouldn't classify us as good before that) to very good last year. That and Rodgers improved pocket awareness.

Clay and Finley are two of our top three players but at least we're getting Clay back. The Grant injury seems to be whats sinking us. The offense can't overcome being totally one dimensional. The running game reps MUST INCREASE until defenses are forced to respect it.

On the defensive side of the ball the injuries are truely devastating but the team is deep enough to overcome them all imo. As long as Clay and the core of our hogs (Raji and Jenkins) are still playing ball, our defense is good enough to win with.

Tony Oday
10-18-2010, 04:44 AM
17 run plays...

bobblehead
10-18-2010, 04:51 AM

$5k

So its on par with twittering about a signed ball 60 minutes before kickoff....sounds about right for a concussion.

bobblehead
10-18-2010, 04:53 AM

Barnett
Matthews
Grant
Pickett
Finley

OK, we would have won by three. The point still stands.

This team has always been a joke when it mattered under MM. Even many of our wins last year had teams coming back hard in the second half. It's not all coincidental.

this is my snap judgement as well. Somehow the D is keeping us in games despite all the injuries. The O will figure it out soon and we will go on a winning streak to get in the playoffs, then when it counts (like AZ), the D will be fully healthy, our optimism will be high, and we will give up 50 with the O doing just enough to make it fun, but then have a crushing turnover to dash our dreams.....its tough being a packer fan lately.

pbmax
10-18-2010, 05:44 AM
The two point conversion at home to win? It's just not done. Ask Dave Wannstedt how well that worked out for him.

I would have liked to see it, given how ugly the game ended, but you would have heard a lot of carping had they gone for it and failed.
Yes, and the Packers weaknesses kill them in OT, but McCarthy always trusts the players to pull though even in the face of overwhelming evidence. They constantly lose field position either by Special Teams or penalty. Even after the D stopped Miami, they took the punt and went backward. First a penalty, then a sack.

Tarlam!
10-18-2010, 07:56 AM
NB - I loved the call on 4th and goal - very Peyton like but McCarthy won't ever, ever bring a championship to Packers. Gut feeling & I got no evidence as I ain't got no crystal ball.

I understand your opinion and am just as frustrated as any Packer fan. My gut tells me, your assumption above is a good one.

But, then I get to thinking that they were a dumb ass INT away from playing the Patriots with, IIRC a less talented football team and DC than they have today. That's hard evindence that he does have it in him. Or at least had it in him.

He also finished last season 7-1, missing Harris and Kampy.

So, it's a tough call for TT and I challenge you to name any other team in the NFL that can lose as many starters as this team, yet stay competitive.

packerbacker1234
10-18-2010, 08:06 AM

And if you're only completeing 50% of your balls, there is even LESS of a chance of your team putting together a drive in OT to get into scoring position. At least in going for two, you are in a position to not just score, but to win the game, versus relying on an offense to drive the field who couldn't drive the field all game, and took going for it twice on 4th down on the final drive to even get the TD.

Patler
10-18-2010, 08:21 AM

And if you're only completeing 50% of your balls, there is even LESS of a chance of your team putting together a drive in OT to get into scoring position. At least in going for two, you are in a position to not just score, but to win the game, versus relying on an offense to drive the field who couldn't drive the field all game, and took going for it twice on 4th down on the final drive to even get the TD.

If you tie the game with an extra point (almost a certainty), you force the other team to do something positive to beat you. If you go for two in that situation, you stand a 50% chance (or whatever) of allowing the other team to win while doing nothing further to get points.

I would prefer to force the other team to do something to win in that situation.

MichiganPackerFan
10-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Quite honestly, the loss didn't hurt as much because I just assumed they'd lose. Let's be real here. If you had told me before the year that Grant, Finley, Tauscher, Pickett, Neal, Barnett, Matthews, Chillar, Bigby, Burnett, Harris, Martin, etc. would all be hurt, I'd tell you that it would be hard for us to win a game. I'm actually surprised we've hung in games. I've come to the early realization that this isn't our year. This isn't the same team that we all had Super Bowl aspirations over. You just can't overcome THAT many injuries.

completely agree on this