PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Smith traded to GB

mission
10-17-2010, 06:47 PM
No joke.

Adam_Schefter Adam Schefter
We have a trade: Jacksonville traded safety Anthony Smith to Green Bay. Smith was scheduled to start Monday night.

Glad we cut him.

denverYooper
10-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Glad we cut him.

No shit, huh?

Makes me wonder if Bigby is not ready...

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 06:55 PM
It's true but WFT? TT, that U? :lol:

ND72
10-17-2010, 07:06 PM
there are also more injuries they needed to attest for.

3irty1
10-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Don't like the move even if it was a 7th round pick.

ND72
10-17-2010, 07:21 PM
why not? Smith was the obvious better safety last preseason over bigby.

3irty1
10-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Not sure he's a significant upgrade over Peprah. This is the same guy who was cut here and then cut again by St. Louis.

Joemailman
10-17-2010, 07:30 PM
I wonder if they're really worried about Collins. He's been playing hurt for a while now.

packerbacker1234
10-17-2010, 07:41 PM
I wonder if they're really worried about Collins. He's been playing hurt for a while now.

Thats the feeling I am getting. I doubt any of the palyers coming off the pup list are rushed into starting roles right away, Bigby may see some playing time but it;s doubtful he starts. Collins has also been manning it up back there, playing hurt and somehow still being effective. SOrt of like woodson, though he clearly doesn't look the same while he plays through his injury.

Our defense is just decimated right now, so if anything, we just need another body. He can't be any worse than peprah, and we litterally have no backup that I would like to see the field should collins need rest.

pbmax
10-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Or they need Bush back at CB. :shock:

What is Derrick Martin's prognosis?

MJZiggy
10-17-2010, 08:08 PM

What is Derrick Martin's prognosis? He got IR'ed didn't he?

pbmax
10-17-2010, 08:12 PM

What is Derrick Martin's prognosis? He got IR'ed didn't he?
Well, there you go. :lol:

Joemailman
10-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Packers gave up a conditional 7th round pick for Smith, according to one source, so who gets cut? Or does Finley go to IR?
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/105146334.html

MJZiggy
10-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Packers gave up a conditional 7th round pick for Smith, according to one source, so who gets cut? Or does Finley go to IR?

They just put a couple more on IR this week. Barnett and Martin.

Joemailman
10-17-2010, 08:29 PM
But weren't they replaced by Francois and Montgomery? It's getting hard to keep track.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 08:36 PM
The Green Bay Packers believe CB Al Harris (knee) will be able to return to practice this week, a source told Greg A. Bedard and Bob McGinn, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Harris is currently on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

Ballboy
10-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Oakland said the whole roster is open for a trade, anyone know if anybody beside the CB that I can't spell is worth a hill of beans?

MJZiggy
10-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Oakland said the whole roster is open for a trade, anyone know if anybody beside the CB that I can't spell is worth a hill of beans?

Now THAT'S rebuilding! :lol:

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 09:29 PM
When will Packers play in those blue jerseys this season? Might be highlight of the season :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
10-17-2010, 09:31 PM
When will Packers play in those blue jerseys this season? Might be highlight of the season :lol:

those jerseys are UGLY!! The highlights now will be watching the sparks of growth for the young guys. Bishop seemed to play pretty well too. And Tramon is still playing well.

MJZiggy
10-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Maybe they brought Smith in to blitz Favre next week...

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 09:42 PM

those jerseys are UGLY!! The highlights now will be watching the sparks of growth for the young guys. Bishop seemed to play pretty well too. And Tramon is still playing well.

LOL - I agree! Tramon is my hero for this season along the obvious Claymaker. Oh and Mike Neal if he can stay healthy. Bishop did ok today too.

...Still...when with those [ugly] blue jerseys?

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 10:07 PM

LOL - I agree! Tramon is my hero for this season along the obvious Claymaker. Oh and Mike Neal if he can stay healthy. Bishop did ok today too.

BLUE JERSEYS! WHEN? Do I have to start a thread to get an answer? :lol:

Patler
10-17-2010, 10:20 PM

Shane Lechler.

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2010, 11:26 PM
But weren't they replaced by Francois and Montgomery? It's getting hard to keep track.

One of those guys can get cut--once Pickett, Neal, Matthews, or Chillar is healthy.

Patler
10-17-2010, 11:36 PM

One of those guys can get cut--once Pickett, Neal, Matthews, or Chillar is healthy.

Yeah, they can get cut, but should be asked to stay in town the way this season is going!

Gunakor
10-18-2010, 01:45 AM

I think I remember reading that they'll wear those jerseys against San Fransisco in week 13.

Gunakor
10-18-2010, 01:50 AM

Shane Lechler.

Zach Miller could be very helpful too given our current TE situation.

bobblehead
10-18-2010, 04:57 AM
why not? Smith was the obvious better safety last preseason over bigby.

Really? You honestly believe that?

pbmax
10-18-2010, 05:41 AM
Smith was faster to the ball and hit well. He also seemed to know how to line folks up. But he also displayed his tendency to collect penalties. Between he and Woodson, there might be no 3rd down pass play that isn't converted by penalty.

Fritz
10-18-2010, 06:50 AM

Shane Lechler.

Now that would be a move I could get behind 100%. But what do you suppose you'd have to give up to get him? A third?

packerbacker1234
10-18-2010, 07:59 AM
glad to see Harris should be practicing this week. I really need to give him credit - no one thought he was going to see the football field again but himself when he started his rehab,

Really cheearing for him to come back and be great just one more time.

Badgerinmaine
10-18-2010, 08:53 AM
They haven't said yet since the deal hasn't been officially announced yet.

Bretsky
10-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Gotta give credit to TT if he does this
Smith reportedly was a good leader who knew the D in and out
It's a positive step and trying to patch up a hole that will get exposed, sooner or later

Joemailman
10-18-2010, 09:42 AM
I like the move. I think it helps the Packers. However, I can't help wondering why a Jax team in playoff contention would trade away a starting safety for next to nothing.

Tarlam!
10-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I like it if only that it's proof TT hasn't written the season off and is trying to improve the team. It also sends a message to the youngens on the team that they need to earn their keep.

ThunderDan
10-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I like it if only that it's proof TT hasn't written the season off and is trying to improve the team. It also sends a message to the youngens on the team that they need to earn their keep.

Now that I can agree with. Keep the young guys hungry.

denverYooper
10-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Gotta give credit to TT if he does this
Smith reportedly was a good leader who knew the D in and out
It's a positive step and trying to patch up a hole that will get exposed, sooner or later

+1. It helps us in the intermediate passing game that is a soft spot ATM.

rbaloha1
10-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Good pick-up. At least TT brings back former Packer players.

denverYooper
10-18-2010, 11:48 AM

I always got the sense that TT liked Smith. I believe the decision to cut him may have been one where Ted trusted the coaching staff and later regretted he did so. In a subtle way, I feel this move is him shaking the reins a bit.

Joemailman
10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
MM just said in his PC that Anthony Smith will replace Finley on the roster.

denverYooper
10-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Finley is going to IR to make room for Smith.

Beat to the punch by JMM :).

HarveyWallbangers
10-18-2010, 11:51 AM

I always got the sense that TT liked Smith. I believe the decision to cut him may have been one where Ted trusted the coaching staff and later regretted he did so. In a subtle way, I feel this move is him shaking the reins a bit.

Actually, it sounds like this was Ted's call. Reports are that Capers and Perry wanted to keep him. Ted chose to keep Aaron Rouse instead.

denverYooper
10-18-2010, 11:55 AM

Actually, it sounds like this was Ted's call. Reports are that Capers and Perry wanted to keep him. Ted chose to keep Aaron Rouse instead.

Ah, ok. I was misremembering, then.

Pugger
10-18-2010, 11:56 AM

I thought I heard they will be worn for the 49er game Dec. 5th.

Joemailman
10-18-2010, 11:56 AM

That makes sense. Capers wanted to keep the guy who knew the defense. TT kept the guy he thought could contribute more on ST.

Pugger
10-18-2010, 11:58 AM
I like the move. I think it helps the Packers. However, I can't help wondering why a Jax team in playoff contention would trade away a starting safety for next to nothing.

Maybe they figure they'll get a higher draft pick next spring. :wink: Was Smith starting for Jax?

Joemailman
10-18-2010, 12:03 PM
He started games 1, 4 and 5. Don't know if he was hurt in games 2 and 3, or if he had replaced someone who was hurt.

Badgerinmaine
10-18-2010, 02:54 PM

I thought I heard they will be worn for the 49er game Dec. 5th.

I think they look pretty cool. Remember, for a lot of the Packers' history they wore blue and gold. These unis are modeled on their look in the late 1920s: http://www.jerseysleague.com/clay-matthews-2010-new-blue-jersey-p-2435.html