PDA

View Full Version : Chad Clifton. Hang em up buddy, it's over.

greensled
10-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks for your years of service Cliffy, but you're a liability out there. Might as well just stay on the sidelines in pass coverage, you'd save us the holding calls and Rodgers will still get maimed just the same. Discuss.

packerbacker1234
10-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks for your years of service Cliffy, but you're a liability out there. Might as well just stay on the sidelines in pass coverage, you'd save us the holding calls and Rodgers will still get maimed just the same. Discuss.

Except for the fact he actually played a good game, while mr. bulaga was getting beat all day long. Something tells me that today, if Taucher was healthy, we would of had much better protection then throwing Bulaga out there. He looked like a rookie today... a bad rookie.

So, say what you want about Clifton, but he was hardly the problem today when all the pressure was coming from the other side.

Joemailman
10-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Thank you Mr. Greensled for your annual post.

ND72
10-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Except for the fact he actually played a good game, while mr. bulaga was getting beat all day long. Something tells me that today, if Taucher was healthy, we would of had much better protection then throwing Bulaga out there. He looked like a rookie today... a bad rookie.

So, say what you want about Clifton, but he was hardly the problem today when all the pressure was coming from the other side.

Tauscher would have had about 5 holding calls against him today, at least Bulaga has potential.

pbmax
10-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Call me crazy, but Bulaga seemed to develop trouble when Wake changed up and started to bull rush him. It didn't seem to be a tire fire until that second half change.

And like last year, Rodgers is helping teams hit him. Even when he had protection, he rushed into defenders while both moving in the pocket and scrambling.

Cheesehead Craig
10-17-2010, 08:02 PM
And like last year, Rodgers is helping teams hit him. Even when he had protection, he rushed into defenders while both moving in the pocket and scrambling.
Exactly, he moved himself into 2 sacks instead of simply moving up into the pocket that was there.

ThunderDan
10-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Call me crazy, but Bulaga seemed to develop trouble when Wake changed up and started to bull rush him. It didn't seem to be a tire fire until that second half change.

I noticed the same thing. At least Bulaga was getting has hands and body on players. He was never out of position. He needs time in the weight room to build NFL strength.

His foot work on most plays was excellent which gives me hope that we have found a solid OL player for the next 7-10 years.

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 06:59 AM

I noticed the same thing. At least Bulaga was getting has hands and body on players. He was never out of position. He needs time in the weight room to build NFL strength.

His foot work on most plays was excellent which gives me hope that we have found a solid OL player for the next 7-10 years.

The Packer O really adjust well to this didn't they? Somehow other offenses (like DetroiT) seem to understand that you throw your little outlet passes to the area where the pressure is coming from. And you help out with a RB chipping the end before going out in the flat for a pass. Great coaching there Stubby.

3irty1
10-18-2010, 07:23 AM
How does one get after Clifton after watching this game? Chad Clifton is still the best in pass pro on this team. When it finally is time for Clifton to leave he will be missed. His false starts are no worse than any of the other mental errors that this team is guaranteed every game. We can live with it. Chad Clifton will never lose you a game. How many people out there honestly can sit in the chair 50+ times a game when edge rushers are coming out of a 4-point stance due to the complete lack of respect for the running game?

Bretsky
10-18-2010, 07:46 AM
I was at the game; it's hard to dislike Clifton. When he wasn't playing on the sideline he was the one OL consistently practicing his footwork on passing protections.

packerbacker1234
10-18-2010, 07:51 AM
That is sort of what I am getting at - Clifton actually played a pretty damn good game against miami. To me, it looks like he is getting into his midseason form, something that took him 10 weeks last year.

Taucher may have had "holding" calls, but at least Rodgers wouldn't get his face beat in every other play. I also find it silly to assume Taucher would just have holding calls based on how he stepped in and performed last year. Taucher isn't a scrub at RT, he's just getting older. He still has some of that veteran savvy, but overall the pass protection is mostly just hurt because we don't run the ball.

Tarlam!
10-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Bulaga is a LT and he played RT. Now, I'm no expert, but I expect there's a difference?

packerbacker1234
10-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Bulaga is a LT and he played RT. Now, I'm no expert, but I expect there's a difference?

Some slight differences int hat the technique is the other way around, however Bulaga had no issues with his technique or with being out of position, he was simply pushed around liek a rag doll. Wether he had poor form in not getting low enough for leverage, or he just isn't strong enough yet to play at the NFL level is yet to be deteremined.

denverYooper
10-18-2010, 12:05 PM

Some slight differences int hat the technique is the other way around, however Bulaga had no issues with his technique or with being out of position, he was simply pushed around liek a rag doll. Wether he had poor form in not getting low enough for leverage, or he just isn't strong enough yet to play at the NFL level is yet to be deteremined.

He was having issues with Wake getting up in his pads at times. It didn't help that Rodgers ran towards him on a few of those.

Pugger
10-18-2010, 12:18 PM
I thought Cliffy had a nice game too. Wake didn't become a real problem until he switched sides and started to bull rush Bulaga. I was screaming at the TV imploring MM to get BB some help over there at times. Once he did Rodgers and company had a nice drive ending with a game tying TD. Bulaga played a like a rookie but we could all see he has gads of potential to be something special. I hope Tauscher returns soon and we can get BB back over on the left side behind Cliffy where he belongs.

rbaloha1
10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Cliffy is playing well. BB was overpowered on bull rush moves. Its correctable.

MM needed to help with BB with a te or fb (Quinn Johnson.) This performance reminded of Odom from the Bengals dominating the Packers last season.

red
10-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Cliffy is playing well. BB was overpowered on bull rush moves. Its correctable.

MM needed to help with BB with a te or fb (Quinn Johnson.) This performance reminded of Odom from the Bengals dominating the Packers last season.

i just could not for the life of me understand why they were not giving baluga any help at all after it looked like lang was having an all world day.

i kept waiting to see a TE or a FB over there to help, but nothing, ever

that seems like football 101 to me

Joemailman
10-25-2010, 10:54 AM

Bump. Sorry. Couldn't resist. :satan:

bobblehead
10-25-2010, 11:15 AM

There is a difference. Its something he should be past by now after several weeks. A tackle uses an almost reggie white club like move to ride a speed rusher upfield (to force his momentum so he can't turn the corner). A left tackle uses his right arm and leg. Opposite for RT. Same with a bull rush you try to leverage him inside to the help and its opposite from the hips. A guy with a great base like Bulaga should struggle with it for about 2 weeks before he is comfortable....I didn't watch him that close last night. Did he look comfortable??

Cheesehead Craig
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Bulaga did a nice job against Edwards. He still looks like a rookie at times, but that's expected.

Joemailman
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Considering Bulaga has played 3 positions as a rookie, he's been pretty impressive. You put him somewhere for a couple of weeks, and he gets better. That's all you can ask from a rookie.

Kiwon
10-25-2010, 12:19 PM

Whoops.....

greensled needs to send a memo to Cris Collinsworth who was singing CC's praises last night.

Hopefully Clifton will remain healthy and do the same thing again in four weeks when they play in the Metrodome.

greensled
10-25-2010, 07:13 PM

No problem. Some of the points brought up were pretty valid, and I got owned pretty good. I did have a few cocktails in me posting that and was just generally pissed. He did very well last nite.

rbaloha1
10-25-2010, 09:01 PM
CC is proving many of us wrong -- played exceedingly well against a premier pass rusher. Appears healthier.

Joemailman
10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Actually, it was nothing new. Allen has 1.5 sacks against Clifton in 4 games. Allen did his damage against Colledge and Lang last year.

Tarlam!
10-27-2010, 12:44 AM
A nice fluffy Cliffy piece from Lori, whom I like, actually.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/105834738.html

Guiness
10-27-2010, 11:27 AM
CC is proving many of us wrong -- played exceedingly well against a premier pass rusher. Appears healthier.

It's quite debatable if JA is a premiere pass rusher this year. His falloff has been quite steep. Ray Edwards is probably the bigger threat at DE there now.

(this takes nothing away from the job Clifton did)

TennesseePackerBacker
10-27-2010, 12:18 PM
I've got to eat crow for calling the old Volunteer out like I have. I just hope his play against the Vikings wasn't a one game apparition caused by JA's declined play, or any number of other factors.

Pugger
10-27-2010, 01:40 PM

It's quite debatable if JA is a premiere pass rusher this year. His falloff has been quite steep. Ray Edwards is probably the bigger threat at DE there now.

Didn't Allen get most of his sacks LAST season against Barbre and Colledge? :?:

imscott72
10-27-2010, 01:49 PM
I've got to eat crow for calling the old Volunteer out like I have. I just hope his play against the Vikings wasn't a one game apparition caused by JA's declined play, or any number of other factors.

A lot of us called him out, and he proved us all wrong. This came out of nowhere. Cliffy was amazing, and hopefully he can continue that level of play.

Joemailman
10-27-2010, 05:18 PM

7 out of 13.5, I believe. Still, Clifton was moving really well, better than I thought we'd see. He can probably pass block in his sleep, and when he's reasonably healthy, there are few better.

bobblehead
10-27-2010, 08:17 PM
this wasn't quite from out of nowhere....he stoned Andre Carter and Cameron Wake as well...no slouches.

I have railed on Cliffy in recent times as much as anyone, but I will be giddy if he simply plays this well the rest of the season. The dancing bear may be healthy.

packerbacker1234
10-27-2010, 08:30 PM
this wasn't quite from out of nowhere....he stoned Andre Carter and Cameron Wake as well...no slouches.

I have railed on Cliffy in recent times as much as anyone, but I will be giddy if he simply plays this well the rest of the season. The dancing bear may be healthy.

Yeah, it only seemed out of nowhere to people who haven't been paying attention, just because JA is a big name player, evne though he is having a down year.

Cameron Wake was purely impressive. They moved him to the other side of the defense BECAUSE of how much Clifton was owning him. You know a player is at the top of his game when the defense moves the player away from you because your that good right now. This is really 3 weeks in row where clifton has been kicking some serious arse, and he is actually looking decent in the run game as well.

IT may have taken him a few games to get past that injury and get back into the flow, but he definitely looks like a top tier LT right now. We can only hope he holds up all year.

KYPack
10-27-2010, 09:58 PM

There is a difference. Its something he should be past by now after several weeks. A tackle uses an almost reggie white club like move to ride a speed rusher upfield (to force his momentum so he can't turn the corner). A left tackle uses his right arm and leg. Opposite for RT. Same with a bull rush you try to leverage him inside to the help and its opposite from the hips. A guy with a great base like Bulaga should struggle with it for about 2 weeks before he is comfortable....I didn't watch him that close last night. Did he look comfortable??

He was like a man wearing an old comfortable pair of sneakers. Perfect footwork in every PR situation.

It's also important that the LT has a quick,seamless glide and/or quick step. when Cliffy's healthy, he's the Zen Master of the quick step. He's had a great one from day one. When he gets banged up, he loses the ability to make that lightening quick step. Now he's healthy and his quick step is working, he's one of the best LT's in the league.

A guy who is slow and clumsy with his quick step will have a day like Barbre did last year against Ogunleye. IOW, a brutal afternoon. Cliffy has all the moves and with his experience, he should continue be a force for us this season. Just as long as he stays healthy.

Bulaga? A good hustling kid who battles to the whistle. He gives it his all, but his experience makes him a "C" student that will grow into the job

Pugger
10-29-2010, 09:32 AM

7 out of 13.5, I believe. Still, Clifton was moving really well, better than I thought we'd see. He can probably pass block in his sleep, and when he's reasonably healthy, there are few better.

Yes, Cliffy played great! :) So much so that NBC kept showing highlights of his play (they even showed Bulaga blocking as well). I hope Cliffy continues to play so well.

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Chilly accused Cliffy of constantly holding Allen. Any truth to that?

pbmax
10-29-2010, 10:16 AM
There is holding on every play. It used to be that if tackles could keep their hands inside the defenders shoulders, that they could grab whatever they wanted and not get called. That interpretation will hold until the defender starts to fall or go by you. If that happens and you are hanging on to a shirt or piece of equipment as the defender is separating from you, you then stand to get a flag.

But more recently, tackles have been able to grab the little outside flap of shoulder pads with impunity. Tackles no longer seem to want to get the inside position with their hands. My guess is that pad gives them a better grip that compensates for not having inside leverage.

And I suspect that teams found a way to hide and smooth the jersey and equipment edges inside a defenders shoulders, and that forced an adjustment by O lineman.

bobblehead
10-29-2010, 10:23 AM
There is holding on every play. It used to be that if tackles could keep their hands inside the defenders shoulders, that they could grab whatever they wanted and not get called. That interpretation will hold until the defender starts to fall or go by you. If that happens and you are hanging on to a shirt or piece of equipment as the defender is separating from you, you then stand to get a flag.

But more recently, tackles have been able to grab the little outside flap of shoulder pads with impunity. Tackles no longer seem to want to get the inside position with their hands. My guess is that pad gives them a better grip that compensates for not having inside leverage.

And I suspect that teams found a way to hide and smooth the jersey and equipment edges inside a defenders shoulders, and that forced an adjustment by O lineman.

Great breakdown PB, and yes, the DL are wearing tighter fitting jerseys in the upper body now days to make it harder to grab hold of.

I would venture to guess that cliffy's transgressions were consistently less than the hands to the face against CMIII all game long. I go by my standard of "are they calling it equal". I have no problem with holding, but its games like the bears game where its called one way I have issues. Its a subjective call, I simply want the same standard applied both ways.

mraynrand
10-29-2010, 11:12 AM

Absolutely true. And Chilly also blamed the officials for global warming.

vince
10-30-2010, 08:32 AM
When Cliffy was reported to have aggravation and swelling in the knee before the first game of the year, it looked like it could be the end of the road for him. They've obviously figured out how to deal with it, and after the first two poor games this year, he's been great once again.

Here's a good article from Wilde on Cliffy. It's great to see how he approaches his relationship with Bulaga. He helps him out every chance he gets and says he'll be open to staying on as a back-up if the knee is still holding out at the time the team wants Bulaga to take over the reins at left tackle. Cliffy's a pro's pro if there ever was one.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=4661&section_id=40&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

packerbacker1234
10-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah Clifton is a true team player. He knows his years of play are numbered. Clearly he still has "it" this season, and barring any unforseen problems he should still be solid for next season.It's that 3rd year of his deal where you may have to start looking at wether or not his knee and such is holding up enough for him to be an every week starter. The health of Taucher may have a lot to do with his starting role as well, since if taucher just can't stay ont he field Bulaga will continue to be asked to be the RT starter even heading into next season. This leaves Clifton's starting role never in doubt, as we have to draft yet another tackle for depth.