PDA

View Full Version : MVP

Brando19
10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
This year has gone NOTHING like I imagined it would. There really isn't a dominate player in the NFL...much less a dominate player. I was thinking...who would be the top 3 candidates for MVP if the voting started now. You'd have to think Clay Matthews would be getting some votes. I'm having a hard time picking my top 3. If I had to...it would be (in no order) Clay, Peyton, and maybe LT. Anyone else wanna take a crack at it?

pittstang5
10-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Andre Johnson...without him the Texans are nothing.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 09:00 PM
This year has gone NOTHING like I imagined it would. There really isn't a dominate player in the NFL...much less a dominate player. I was thinking...who would be the top 3 candidates for MVP if the voting started now. You'd have to think Clay Matthews would be getting some votes. I'm having a hard time picking my top 3. If I had to...it would be (in no order) Clay, Peyton, and maybe LT. Anyone else wanna take a crack at it?

Andre Johnson

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 09:04 PM

Andre Johnson

Drew Brees; he's still playing at a high level and is paramount to the Saints.

gbgary
10-17-2010, 09:05 PM

Andre Johnson

Drew Brees; he's still playing at a high level and is paramount to the Saints.i was gonna say brees.

Brando19
10-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Interesting. Brees was a guy I thought about, but Johnson was not. Good point.

mmmdk
10-17-2010, 09:15 PM
It could be a Rich Gannon like MVP year; even though Gannon was really good it was still a surprise.

channtheman
10-17-2010, 10:21 PM
The reward is called Manning Valuable Player award right? I mean he wins it even when other players are more deserving, so I see no reason for that to change this year. I say give it to him again.

Cheesehead Craig
10-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Arian Foster. Especially if the Texans win their division or even make the playoffs.

WRs simply don't win MVP awards in this era. If any WR has the kinds of numbers that are MVP worthy, the credit goes to the QB who likely has the best QB numbers out there.

If Moss didn't win it after the 2007-8 season, I don't see how any WR can win it.

packerbacker1234
10-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Arian Foster. Hands down. I think he's presently the #1 RB statistically in the league. Yeah, Andre is what makes that passing game tick for them (sad to see that their TE just hasn't bounced back well from his injury). Foster has quickly become the missing piece to that offense. They could always throw, but they were constantly goin g through RB's all year trying to find that guy. He has come out of no where to earn his respect throughout the league.

After that, I don't see anyone else. If a QB must be considered... forget Peyton - what about Kyle Orton? No one is talking about him... yet he is second in the league in passing yards, has a stellar QB rating right now, and has 8 tds to just 2 ints... and all that coming off the pressure of knowing they are looking to eventually replace you with Tebow.

Who would of thunk at any point Kyle Orton would be among the best QB's in the league during any season, but here he is with almost no one playing better.

bobblehead
10-18-2010, 05:04 AM
Arian Foster. Especially if the Texans win their division or even make the playoffs.

WRs simply don't win MVP awards in this era. If any WR has the kinds of numbers that are MVP worthy, the credit goes to the QB who likely has the best QB numbers out there.

If Moss didn't win it after the 2007-8 season, I don't see how any WR can win it.

Your talking about the year Brady threw 50TD passes to break marino's record right....ok, gotcha. What record did Moss break that year by the way?

pbmax
10-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Desmond Bishop. He seriously is the only Packer who is exceeding expectations now. Maybe Tramon too, but the distance between expectation and performance with him was far less than Bishop.

packerbacker1234
10-18-2010, 08:00 AM

Your talking about the year Brady threw 50TD passes to break marino's record right....ok, gotcha. What record did Moss break that year by the way?

Most TD catches in a season by any WR. Ironically, the 50th TD was also Moss's record breaking TD. Moss ended the season with 23 TD's, catching nearly half of the TD's Brady threw.

Aka, without moss, Brady doesn't SNIFF 50 td's that year.

Cheesehead Craig
10-18-2010, 09:05 AM

Like I said in my post, anytime a WR has outstanding numbers the credit goes to the QB. Try reading the post next time before attempting some mocking.

Patler
10-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Desmond Bishop. He seriously is the only Packer who is exceeding expectations now. Maybe Tramon too, but the distance between expectation and performance with him was far less than Bishop.

Forgetting John KUUHHHHN are you? Or did you expect him to be averaging 4.2 yds/carry on 6 carries/game? :lol: :lol:

jmbarnes101
10-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Troy Polumalu

Like Clay, you can tell when he is not in the game and is the one big difference for that team from this year to last.

And the trio of Peyton, Brees, and Rivers

bobblehead
10-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Like I said in my post, anytime a WR has outstanding numbers the credit goes to the QB. Try reading the post next time before attempting some mocking.

Oh, you mean the record Rice set in 12 games? Yea, he broke it in 16, then disappeared in the playoffs. Brady on the other hand has rings and was the MVP of the league, that team, and the universe that year, not moss.....and I don't even like Brady.

Cheesehead Craig
10-18-2010, 09:48 AM

Oh, you mean the record Rice set in 12 games? Yea, he broke it in 16, then disappeared in the playoffs. Brady on the other hand has rings and was the MVP of the league, that team, and the universe that year, not moss.....and I don't even like Brady.

What the hell is your problem? All I said was that WRs don't win MVPs anymore. I used Moss' season as that was the most incredible season by a WR in a long time and he really didn't get much consideration. I then also said that the QB would get it if there is a big season by a WR. Never once did I say Brady didn't deserve it and Moss did. That's an argument you are creating.

Tarlam!
10-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Craig, Bobble just posts like that, he's not trying to start an argument, IMO.

The flaw in your example is that Brady was more valuable than Moss that year. I agree, Moss certainly did an outstanding job, but Brady was lights out that year.

And I acknowledge your point that usually a QB or RB is gonna get the award. I go even further and suggest the RB by committee is making it ever more difficult for RBs to win it.

But that's football. Wasn't Chuck the only defensive player to win the Heisman? I know that's college, but it's the same type of deal.

pbmax
10-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Forgetting John KUUHHHHN are you? Or did you expect him to be averaging 4.2 yds/carry on 6 carries/game? :lol: :lol:
What did Kuhn do for me lately? 5 for 9 yards, that's what.

And he is no longer getting into the endzone on the fullback dive.

Cheesehead Craig
10-18-2010, 11:10 AM

The flaw in your example is that Brady was more valuable than Moss that year. I agree, Moss certainly did an outstanding job, but Brady was lights out that year.

And I acknowledge your point that usually a QB or RB is gonna get the award. I go even further and suggest the RB by committee is making it ever more difficult for RBs to win it.

But that's football. Wasn't Chuck the only defensive player to win the Heisman? I know that's college, but it's the same type of deal.

Gotcha.

Tarlam!
10-22-2010, 05:29 AM
If a QB must be considered... forget Peyton - what about Kyle Orton? No one is talking about him... yet he is second in the league in passing yards, has a stellar QB rating right now, and has 8 tds to just 2 ints... and all that coming off the pressure of knowing they are looking to eventually replace you with Tebow.

Who would of thunk at any point Kyle Orton would be among the best QB's in the league during any season, but here he is with almost no one playing better.

6. Still on record-breaking pace

Kyle Orton is still never mentioned in the same breath as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, and for that matter, Philip Rivers or Drew Brees. However, Orton remains on pace -- he is averaging 41.2 throws and 323.7 yards a game -- to challenge Dan Marino's single-season passing mark of 5,084 yards. The Broncos can't run very well, and the passing will continue this week against the Raiders and their No. 8 pass defense. Orton is going to be asked to throw it 40-50 times vs. Oakland. That's different than last year, when Orton averaged 28.5 passes and 217.5 yards in two games against the Raiders.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b83f97/article/titans-in-spotlight-favre-back-at-lambeau-among-week-7-stories?module=HP_cp2

Well PB1234, someone else noticed!

Fritz
10-22-2010, 07:20 AM

What did Kuhn do for me lately? 5 for 9 yards, that's what.

And he is no longer getting into the endzone on the fullback dive.

It's too soon to say. Much season left to go, and Pat Lee's star is rising. He just passed Brandon Underwood on the depth chart last week. Next thing you know he'll be vying for that dime back position once Al Harris gets back!

Guiness
10-22-2010, 07:45 AM
If a QB must be considered... forget Peyton - what about Kyle Orton? No one is talking about him... yet he is second in the league in passing yards, has a stellar QB rating right now, and has 8 tds to just 2 ints... and all that coming off the pressure of knowing they are looking to eventually replace you with Tebow.

6. Still on record-breaking pace

Kyle Orton is still never mentioned in the same breath as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, and for that matter, Philip Rivers or Drew Brees. However, Orton remains on pace -- he is averaging 41.2 throws and 323.7 yards a game -- to challenge Dan Marino's single-season passing mark of 5,084 yards. The Broncos can't run very well, and the passing will continue this week against the Raiders and their No. 8 pass defense. Orton is going to be asked to throw it 40-50 times vs. Oakland. That's different than last year, when Orton averaged 28.5 passes and 217.5 yards in two games against the Raiders.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b83f97/article/titans-in-spotlight-favre-back-at-lambeau-among-week-7-stories?module=HP_cp2

Well PB1234, someone else noticed!

The guy's a horse, he's on my FF teeam 8-)

Many thanks to the brain trust in Chicago for giving him to Denver as a 'throw-in' on the Cutler deal!

Would be something if he broke Marino's record, wouldn't it?

bobblehead
10-22-2010, 10:23 AM

Gotcha.

He is right, I have a glib style that rubs sometimes, no offense meant. I usually post that way while I'm working and don't feel like taking too long to explain, and I'll have to try and temper it. My point was that a WR needs a record setting QB to have a huge season. He can't do much on his own. Its very rare that a WR truly carries a team.

In the case of Moss, Welker had a HUGE season as well, catching over 100 passes if I recall. A WR by himself can be taken out of a game, but a RB and/or a QB can not. Its also the reason Clay is more valuable than Finley.

Cheesehead Craig
10-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Gotcha.

He is right, I have a glib style that rubs sometimes, no offense meant. I usually post that way while I'm working and don't feel like taking too long to explain, and I'll have to try and temper it. My point was that a WR needs a record setting QB to have a huge season. He can't do much on his own. Its very rare that a WR truly carries a team.

In the case of Moss, Welker had a HUGE season as well, catching over 100 passes if I recall. A WR by himself can be taken out of a game, but a RB and/or a QB can not. Its also the reason Clay is more valuable than Finley.
I think we had the same point, but just didn't communicate clearly to each other.

All's good.

Fritz
10-22-2010, 05:44 PM
So you're both saying that Pat Lee is heading for the MVP then, right?

bobblehead
10-23-2010, 04:34 AM

Gotcha.

I think we had the same point, but just didn't communicate clearly to each other.

All's good.

Seems correct. I thought you were complaining about WR's never getting the MVP but you were pretty much making the point I was making while refuting the point I THOUGHT you were making.....if that makes sense.

And yes, Pat Lee for MVP....our defense needs it.