PDA

View Full Version : 1win - 11 losses

Ballboy
10-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Heard on the radio this morning, this team is 1-11 in games decided by 4 points or less. Not sure what parameters were used, but they were directing it towards MM and ARod.

Those kinda numbers not gunna get it done.

Bretsky
10-18-2010, 09:30 AM
WOW; we really 1-11 in games decided by 4. Was not aware of that.

Patler
10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Heard on the radio this morning, this team is 1-11 in games decided by 4 points or less. Not sure what parameters were used, but they were directing it towards MM and ARod.

Those kinda numbers not gunna get it done.

Losing games like that a few years ago was almost looked at as a positive thing. The team was close to being a very good team, even though it was a very young team. When they lost, it was in close games. Now, losing that way is not such a good thing. The team isn't taking the step forward that it needs to.

Patler
10-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Not only that, but I heard that they are something like 1-5 or 1-6 in overtime games under MM.

Bretsky
10-18-2010, 09:54 AM

Not only that, but I heard that they are something like 1-5 or 1-6 in overtime games under MM.

All these stats to me........while I won't completely blame coaching......are telling as to the overall quality of coaching staff that we have.

Wonder how that would compare to Sean Payton....who really wanted this job
He's look alright about now :lol:

Joemailman
10-18-2010, 09:59 AM
I think the overtime record might be where not running the football and special teams really come into the equation. You give the opposing team good field position just once and the game can be over.

3irty1
10-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Infuriating. The Packers have employed every strategy under the sun in order lose these games as well. In a close game like that any one play at a critical moment wins the game. Drops, penalties, clock management, missed field goals, poor punting, poor special teams coverage, non-calls, sacks, play-calls... everything comes into play.

This team doesn't do the small things well at all and is PLAGUED by bad luck. The first thing is something that can be fixed but won't be, not until McCarthy is as sick of it as we are and starts grabbing face masks and screaming at players one by one.

denverYooper
10-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Infuriating. The Packers have employed every strategy under the sun in order lose these games as well. In a close game like that any one play at a critical moment wins the game. Drops, penalties, clock management, missed field goals, poor punting, poor special teams coverage, non-calls, sacks, play-calls... everything comes into play.

This team doesn't do the small things well at all and is PLAGUED by bad luck. The first thing is something that can be fixed but won't be, not until McCarthy is as sick of it as we are and starts grabbing face masks and screaming at players one by one.

Poor special teams play has been a constant in their losses.

Next, I'd say it is 3rd down performance: 5/26 on 3rd down in the last 2 weeks, 2/13 last week, 3/13 this week. Horrible. The drops and penalties don't help this stat.

I'm amazed that they almost won last week and yesterday.

pbmax
10-18-2010, 10:27 AM
I think the overtime record might be where not running the football and special teams really come into the equation. You give the opposing team good field position just once and the game can be over.
Its special teams and penalties. Plus McCarthy's propensity to take his foot off the gas once they get inside Crosby's max range.

Nearly every time the Special Teams handle the ball, they lose yards in comparison to the opposition. They did it again yesterday, where after trading punts, the Dolphins needed to go 20 yards to be in FG range.

denverYooper
10-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Its special teams and penalties. Plus McCarthy's propensity to take his foot off the gas once they get inside Crosby's max range.

Nearly every time the Special Teams handle the ball, they lose yards in comparison to the opposition. They did it again yesterday, where after trading punts, the Dolphins needed to go 20 yards to be in FG range.

GB avg starting field position: 23
MIA avg starting field position: 32

In fact, this year:

wk GB OPP Result
1 32 31 W
2 37 29 W
3 21 36 L
4 34 34 W
5 26 31 L
6 23 32 L

Thus far this year it's a pretty good predictor of team success. That's not the whole story, of course, but it's also clear that it is hobbling the team even more than it needs to be.

And, pretty much a microcosm of what ST is doing to the team, before Miami's 2nd touchdown:
39 yard punt, 11 yard return to the 49.
D gives up 8 yards on 3 plays, Miami lines up to punt.
Francois penalty for lining up over center

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 10:46 AM
The 1-11 is with Rodgers and Stubby. I think Stubby was 2-3 with Favre in under 4 point games (Two wins were at Denver and at KC in 2007 I think)

This team cannot win close games

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Dyoop: Good post. And the annoying thing is that teams started out better than last year. The trickle down effect of injuries has taken a toll. Losing Martin reminds me of losing Marcus Wilson in '95. Wilson was a back up running back who never touched the ball, but he was a great gunner, especially on KOs, and was a hard hitting, sure tackler.

BTW, I watched the 'short cuts' version of Browns Steelers: I can't remember a game where I've seen so many punts downed inside the 5. Must have been 5 or 6; 4 by the Brownies. (Didn't help them much because Big Ben's ability to hang in the pocket 'til the last second and deliver a strong deep ball is amazing)

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Plus McCarthy's propensity to take his foot off the gas once they get inside Crosby's max range.

That cost them the 'Skins game as much as anything else. Unbelievable. I can just see him waving his arms in frustration, yelling: "Crosby hits that 53 yarder all the time in practice. He has the range and the accuracy. Why me, WHY ME???" The Flailure of Stubby

ThunderDan
10-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I think the failure in the 1-11 is completely different this year than 2008.

In 2008 Arod got the lead over and over in the 4th Q just to see the D give it back up.

In 2010 I would put our woes on the ST and the O not producing.

ThunderDan
10-18-2010, 11:05 AM
I forgot about ST in 2008 also. Kick coverage always seemed to let the other team start at their own 40 or better after the Packers scored.

rbaloha1
10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
MM panics too much in crunch time. The players also panic too much as well (even Woodson looses his cool at critical times.)

MM reminds of Mile Sherman.

ND72
10-18-2010, 11:27 AM
The 1-11 is with Rodgers and Stubby. I think Stubby was 2-3 with Favre in under 4 point games (Two wins were at Denver and at KC in 2007 I think)

Radio last night said McCarthy is 1-11 in his tenure in Green Bay, which would be both Favre & Rodgers, and 1-6 in OT in his tenure as well.

pbmax
10-18-2010, 11:33 AM
According to my copy of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Robert S. McGinn Esq., reports the following:

Rodgers is 1-11, the win was Detroit two games ago.

Brett Favre was 33-30 while he was a Packer

Mike McCarthy is 4-13 overall and 3-2 with the Candid Camera Kid.

Oddly enough, Holmgren had a losing record in these close games (though by only one game) while Sherman was over 500 and Rhodes was exactly 500.

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 11:35 AM

Radio last night said McCarthy is 1-11 in his tenure in Green Bay, which would be both Favre & Rodgers, and 1-6 in OT in his tenure as well.

From McGinn:

"But if McCarthy and Rodgers intend to turn this season around, don't bet on them being successful should there be many more games decided by four or fewer points.

In those games, Rodgers has a 1-11 record, a horrendous .083 winning percentage that would be .000 had it not been for a 28-26 victory over Detroit two weeks ago.

Brett Favre, who will lead the Vikings into Lambeau Field six days from now, posted a 33-30 (.524) record, counting playoffs, in games decided by four or fewer points as the Packers' starter over 16 years.

Meanwhile, McCarthy is 4-13 in tight games, including 3-2 with Favre under center."

I got the Favre record backwards, so I don't know what the other Favre victory is. McCarthy sucks in close games, and Rodgers is gawdawful. He's responsible for a good deal of those losses (and/or Stubby playcalling)...

Tarlam!
10-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Infuriating. The first thing is something that can be fixed but won't be, not until McCarthy is as sick of it as we are and starts grabbing face masks and screaming at players one by one.

This is what infuriates me the most. I wish he had a dose of the fatherly Jim Bates passion and Singletary I will kick in your jock strap if that ever happens again fear factor in him. Instead, he is the epitome of a deer in the headlights coach.

I also wish the defense had a Ray Lewis or LT on the field. Claymaker is a great talent, but he's not going to strike fear into a teamate that screws his assignment up.

My 3rd wish is that A-Rod starts to make his offense more accountable by getting their faces when they miss blocks or drop passes. He's too nice.

ND72
10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
According to my copy of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Robert S. McGinn Esq., reports the following:

Oddly enough, Holmgren had a losing record in these close games (though by only one game) while Sherman was over 500 and Rhodes was exactly 500.

ah...Ok then. Maybe I heard them wrong on the radio, who knoews. Interesting though...definately hate being on that side of the table.

MichiganPackerFan
10-18-2010, 01:35 PM
a pile of close losses = a pile of heartache :(

mmmdk
10-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Glad this is picked up; a PR poster mentioned the 1-11 during or just after game vs Fins & I (gladly) provided the 1-5 OT record fact.

In close games any descent or great coach are at .500 or slightly better.

mmmdk
10-18-2010, 01:44 PM
I think the failure in the 1-11 is completely different this year than 2008.

In 2008 Arod got the lead over and over in the 4th Q just to see the D give it back up.

In 2010 I would put our woes on the ST and the O not producing.

Well said!

bobblehead
10-18-2010, 03:26 PM

Bedard did a piece awhile back (long while) basically showing that "good teams" do not necessarily win close games and whether you won or lost them seemed to be split about 50/50 between good teams and bad ones.

He had all the numbers to back it up. If his piece was accurate (and it sure seemed to be) you can chalk up the packers being on the wrong side of the 4 point games to "bad luck".

I am more inclined to say our team plays in a way that leaves us with no momentum and fatigued which is why we wilt in the 4th quarters (although in '08 Rodgers got us the lead many times with 5 minutes left).