PDA

View Full Version : Andy Benoit article

Guiness
10-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I haven't read much of him, but he had an amusing article at sportsline, '10 Stories that deserve your attention'.
http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/25318502

The one that interested me was this one, for two reasons. One, that CWood is the most penalized player in the league (really?) and the concept of taking 5yd penalties to burn time off the clock.

6.) A despicable but brilliant idea

On a similar note, something very interesting happened late in the Packers-Dolphins game. Miami had first-and-10 on its own 43 with 10 seconds left in regulation. They ran a play from shotgun. Chad Henne’s pass to Brian Hartline fell incomplete. But on that play, Charles Woodson was whistled for illegal contact. (By the way, did you know Woodson is the most-penalized player in the league this season?) The Lambeau crowd booed, but announcer Dan Fouts pointed out that Woodson’s penalty prevented a completion on the play, and that play still ran seven seconds off the clock. Thus, the Dolphins were forced to sacrifice seven seconds for a measly five yards.

This presents the despicable but brilliant idea: in tight last second situations, teams should instruct their defensive backs to mug the receivers. It’s a shrewd clock-draining maneuver. Even if an offense gets the ball on its own 40 with 15 seconds to go, you could commit two very thorough illegal contact penalties and leave the opponent at the 50-yard line with time for just one play.

When the penalty doesn’t fit the crime, then commit the crime. Is that good sportsmanship? Who cares? This isn’t high school.

Badgerinmaine
10-18-2010, 10:28 AM
(Quoting Mr. Benoit)
When the penalty doesn’t fit the crime, then commit the crime. Is that good sportsmanship? Who cares? This isn’t high school.
Whether or not it's bad sportsmanship in this case, the idea that sportsmanship should end in high school goes pretty far against my grain.

pbmax
10-18-2010, 10:29 AM
This was discussed after one of the Patriots games versus the Colts, where they were really getting after the receivers. The game officials are authorized to throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct for 15 yards and an automatic first down.

ThunderDan
10-18-2010, 10:51 AM
I am sorry but I have an issue when the WR runs staight into the backpeddling CB and they call it on the D.

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 10:57 AM
This was discussed after one of the Patriots games versus the Colts, where they were really getting after the receivers. The game officials are authorized to throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct for 15 yards and an automatic first down.

I can see Hochuli having a conference of officials for 2-3 minutes and changing the illegal contact into a 15 yarder against Woodson. Hey, maybe it'll happen next week to put Longwell in position for the game winning FG....

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 10:58 AM
I am sorry but I have an issue when the WR runs staight into the backpeddling CB and they call it on the D.

Yep - the defender has a right to his position on the field. The original call itself was total bs

ND72
10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
I haven't read much of him, but he had an amusing article at sportsline, '10 Stories that deserve your attention'.
http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/25318502

The one that interested me was this one, for two reasons. One, that CWood is the most penalized player in the league (really?) and the concept of taking 5yd penalties to burn time off the clock.

6.) A despicable but brilliant idea

On a similar note, something very interesting happened late in the Packers-Dolphins game. Miami had first-and-10 on its own 43 with 10 seconds left in regulation. They ran a play from shotgun. Chad Henne’s pass to Brian Hartline fell incomplete. But on that play, Charles Woodson was whistled for illegal contact. (By the way, did you know Woodson is the most-penalized player in the league this season?) The Lambeau crowd booed, but announcer Dan Fouts pointed out that Woodson’s penalty prevented a completion on the play, and that play still ran seven seconds off the clock. Thus, the Dolphins were forced to sacrifice seven seconds for a measly five yards.

This presents the despicable but brilliant idea: in tight last second situations, teams should instruct their defensive backs to mug the receivers. It’s a shrewd clock-draining maneuver. Even if an offense gets the ball on its own 40 with 15 seconds to go, you could commit two very thorough illegal contact penalties and leave the opponent at the 50-yard line with time for just one play.

I don't care what level it is...big for instance is basketball. I've done it many times...10 seconds left, up 3...foul them. I even have a set play call so my kids know what to do in that instance. give them 2 points, drain some clock, get ball back...very simple.

ND72
10-18-2010, 11:30 AM

Yes...hate it.

rbaloha1
10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Good tactic. CW whines way too much though.

Pugger
10-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Good tactic. CW whines way too much though.

If I played in the secondary in the NFL and never got a call I'd whine too.

Guiness
10-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Yep - the defender has a right to his position on the field. The original call itself was total bs

Didn't see yesterday's game. Is this what happened?

red
10-18-2010, 12:53 PM

Didn't see yesterday's game. Is this what happened?

pretty much, c-wood was backpedaling and marshall just ran right through him

Guiness
10-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't care what level it is...big for instance is basketball. I've done it many times...10 seconds left, up 3...foul them. I even have a set play call so my kids know what to do in that instance. give them 2 points, drain some clock, get ball back...very simple.

I agree ND72, and the 'highschool' comment was ridiculous.

I coach as well, and I believe in coaching to win. Like you describe, I try and give my players the best tools they can to win a game.

It's like telling the keeper in soccer to walk back to get the ball after it's been kicked out to give his D a blow. Or telling a forward to shoot wide, and boot the ball into the parking lot if we're up by 1, and there's 5 minutes to go!

sharpe1027
10-18-2010, 01:01 PM
You run the risk of having a game winning sack or interception reversed because of the penalty. It might also be the case that they complete a pass in bounds, the penalty will temporarily stop the clock, possibly giving them the precious few extra seconds they need, because even if you hold the WRs, they still might complete the pass.