PDA

View Full Version : Empty Backfield???

Travbrew
10-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Something I've noticed over the last few games that has become increasingly questionable/maddening.

Empty backfields; 5 WR; 4WR 1TE or RB motioning out etc. on 3rd and short.

Unless my memory decieves me we've ran a shit ton of these the last 2 weeks, and have converted little to none. I find myself screaming at the TV "dammit McStumpy, WTFO???" Only to watch a sack/instant pressure/incompletion, etc, etc, etc.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed an inordinate amount of these formations on 3rd and short?
I'd love to see the % of conversions from this formation this season and I'm sure there are ways to track this info, but I don't know where to start.

Discuss.

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Me no likey

ND72
10-18-2010, 11:25 AM
I like spreading teams out, especially given our WR's & TE's. I know our OL is weak, but if you go 5 WR or 4/1TE, you force the other team to have to go to a nickle or dime situation.

Now here's the thing...they should NOT be running long pass plays out of the spread. They should be running quick hitters. The more they do that, the less teams will blitz, and the better you can sit a guy in a zone and pick teams apart.

I think they should do it more...but on 3rd and short, it's EH to do. 2nd down, I'd love it.

3irty1
10-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Its easily their best shot at 3rd and short. They owned that situation the last two years. The formation buts tremendous horizontal stress on the defense.

Problem this year IMO is Aaron's insistence on treating 3rd and 2 like its 3rd and 20. The checkdowns are getting ignored.

red
10-18-2010, 12:06 PM
empty backfield plays should be quick hitters

like ND said, you absolutely CAN NOT run a long pass play

too many times i saw a-rod hold on way too long looking for a long pass. the o-line was actually doing pretty good. it seemed that he was getting hit a lot of running out of the pocket when the o-linemen either has to disengage or get called for a holding.

denverYooper
10-18-2010, 12:08 PM
empty backfield plays should be quick hitters

like ND said, you absolutely CAN NOT run a long pass play

too many times i saw a-rod hold on way too long looking for a long pass. the o-line was actually doing pretty good. it seemed that he was getting hit a lot of running out of the pocket when the o-linemen either has to disengage or get called for a holding.

+1.

Pugger
10-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't like an empty backfield unless it is near the end of the game/half and it is no secret you are gonna throw it. If a RB is back there there is always the possibility of a handoff. When there is no one back there but Rodgers the defense can pin their ears back and take another shot at AR's head cuz they know they won't be flagged for it. :roll:

mmmdk
10-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Big hands = big *bleep*

Empty back field = empty head (coach)

:lol: