PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Aaron?

AtlPackFan
10-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Nope, I don't have stats in front of me. I am just basing this on the couple of games I have been able to see and what I have read on JSO and here at PackerRats but it appears that Aaron of 2010 is not the Aaron of 2008 or 2009. What gives? Has he regressed? Is it the play of the O-line? Is it the playcalling? What do you all attribute to his, at best, erratic play?

I am not an expert on this stuff. I am hoping all of you can shed some perspective. I think his play is the key to any chance we have at a turnaround and the way he is playing - again from what my untrained eyes have seen - it ain't going to happen.

denverYooper
10-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Thus far, his play is "just ok".

The concussion and chipped teeth probably make him a bit skittish these days.

red
10-18-2010, 12:29 PM
he's regressed big time.

i think he started to rely on finley way too much. he neglected everyone else, now he has no clue what to do with the ball

first think, he's not reading the defense right at all at the line. second he is locking onto one guy and waiting for him to run a deep route. if that doesn't work then he begins to scramble, then he starts to look for other receivers. he's holding the ball way too damn long looking for the deep ball. he had a decent pocket yesterday for long periods of time. he would get jumpy and try and get out of the pocket when he got hit a lot yesterday. rodgers did a good job of making baluga look bad yesterday IMO.

and lastly he seems to be forcing way too many passes and targeting james jones too much. jones has looked bad this year dropping many passes and just playing like a slug. yet it seems when rodgers is locked in on a guy its always jones

red
10-18-2010, 12:30 PM
plus is it just me or is he throwing a lot of ugly wobbly looking passes this year.

best spiral in the game my ass

Joemailman
10-18-2010, 12:32 PM
The last 2 games he seems to have reverted back to the "first half of 2009" Aaron.

I also question if he was 100% yesterday. He seemed really frustrated all game long. I wonder if he was not feeling well, especially after being hit a few times.

jklowan
10-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Aaron Rodgers, 1546yds 10 TD 7 INT

These aren't bad numbers but he set the bar very high. With the number of injuries on this team I am actually surprised he's done this well.

Pugger
10-18-2010, 12:42 PM
I too wonder if he wasn't 100% yesterday. With all of the hits he's had to endure is it any wonder he's getting skiddish? :|

Tarlam!
10-18-2010, 12:45 PM
He's lost his security blanket, doesn't seem to have confidence in the OL, isn't on the same page as M3 with the playcalling and clearly, he isn't having fun.

Maybe all the MVP talk and SB talk prior to the season has him under pressure and he is cracking as a result. But all that saw him last season know he's tough and is capable a far bigger things. Great thread, BTW.

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 12:46 PM
I too wonder if he wasn't 100% yesterday. With all of the hits he's had to endure is it any wonder he's getting skiddish? :|

He's regressed. Had a chance to look at the last two plays of OT. He had receivers open on each one, for at least 5 yards each. Hesitation, for whatever reason is hurting him.

mmmdk
10-18-2010, 12:47 PM
The O-line can't create a pocket & thus Rodgers gets hit plus he feels those phantom rushers all over. AR is no longer holding the ball too long but his reads are suffering.

The play calling and adjustments from our mediocre head coach is the biggest factor. The WCO is dead! The slant is MIA and the screen pass seldomly is called. Not much cloak & dagger from our OC; although that run by AR on 4th and goal gives some tiny hope that Packers offense isn't as predictable as FOX News. McCarthy's schemes is etched in stone and everyone in the NFL has a copy.

Lastly, AR gotta adjust himself - teams have loads of film on Rodgers and rolling out doesn't get easier, does it AR? Rodgers seem to have lost confidence in himself and the calls from his coach.

Dead last: Packer receiver are worst in NFL when it comes to dropped passes - now that can't help either. Packer WRs are fine but overrated - especially here on PR. Our best receiver is injured and is a cocky one at that.

2010 season slipping faster than light but I expect Rodgers to come back stronger from this - hopefully sooner rather than later.

I hope TT will force an OC on McCarthy; just like Capers was forced on McCarthy. TT won't fire McCarthy 'cos he's TT's mistake which might doom both in the end.

mmmdk
10-18-2010, 12:52 PM

He's regressed. Had a chance to look at the last two plays of OT. He had receivers open on each one, for at least 5 yards each. Hesitation, for whatever reason is hurting him.

AR's reads are busted by blows to head/body from all angles; he simply doesn't see them open - as I find it hard to believe that Rodgers doesn't throw to the open guy on purpose.

Pugger
10-18-2010, 12:53 PM
mmmdk, do you think TT forced McCarthy to go with Capers?

mmmdk
10-18-2010, 12:57 PM
mmmdk, do you think TT forced McCarthy to go with Capers?

"Forced" might not be the right word; "impelled" is the better word of choice.

AtlPackFan
10-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Not that he will but do you think any of these problems would/could be solved if MM would turn over playcalling to someone else? I would think having someone else calling plays would free MM up to be more involved with other facets of the game.

Fritz
10-18-2010, 01:04 PM
I think MM swung the risk-taking pendulum too far to the other side this year. He had Rodgers taking more and more risks; thus, more interceptions.

AtlPackFan
10-18-2010, 01:07 PM
He's lost his security blanket, doesn't seem to have confidence in the OL, isn't on the same page as M3 with the playcalling and clearly, he isn't having fun.

Maybe all the MVP talk and SB talk prior to the season has him under pressure and he is cracking as a result. But all that saw him last season know he's tough and is capable a far bigger things. Great thread, BTW.

Thanks Tarlam. I don't post often - much less start threads - but ARs performance has been bothering me the last couple of weeks and I couldn't put my finger on what the problem was. I was hoping everyone here would have input so the feedback by all is greatly appreciated.

mmmdk
10-18-2010, 01:49 PM

Thanks Tarlam. I don't post often - much less start threads - but ARs performance has been bothering me the last couple of weeks and I couldn't put my finger on what the problem was. I was hoping everyone here would have input so the feedback by all is greatly appreciated.

Yup, great thread & gets a bump from me :D

superfan
10-18-2010, 02:00 PM

Tarlam nails it, this sums it up.

Packers4Glory
10-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Whats wrong w/ AAron?

How bout no commitment to the run and spotty protection. No rushing = defense teeing off on the QB. It really puts the O-line on their heels to be pass protecting an entire game when the D knows you're not going to try and run the ball.

This makes everything less effective, most importantly the play action passing which is a huge part of this offense.

Commit to the damn run. at least it kills some clock and the defense isn't out there for so many minutes every damn game.

Total Plays 78 to 59

Guess which number we are? This is what happens when you can't run the ball. you wear the D down and then guys start getting hurt. More time = more risk.

Miami had the ball for almost 10 more minutes in a game that was decided by and OT FG.

AtlPackFan
10-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Aaron Rodgers, 1546yds 10 TD 7 INT

These aren't bad numbers but he set the bar very high. With the number of injuries on this team I am actually surprised he's done this well.

JK, I agree...not bad numbers. But a number of his passes seem to be a bit off...too short, too long, too wide, too far behind the receiver. I think that is the thing that has been bothering me more than anything.

And wasn't 7 his total number of interceptions for all of last year? I am probably wrong on that...again, not a stat guy and I don't have last years numbers in front of me.

At any rate, this Sunday night would be a REALLY good time for the real Aaron Rodgers to show up. Of course, good play calling, good blocking, some semblance of a running game and no drops would really help too. :mrgreen:

bobblehead
10-18-2010, 02:52 PM
who says we can't run the ball? We are actully decent at it, we just don't do it. Just like I am very capable of having sex with hot chics....I just don't get my number called often enough.

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 02:54 PM
who says we can't run the ball? We are actully decent at it, we just don't do it. Just like I am very capable of having sex with hot chics....I just don't get my number called often enough.

Send some pictures! I heard it works wonders....

denverYooper
10-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Here's one of the sacks:

http://vimeo.com/15957669

Korey Hall doesn't do much to Wake, but Rodgers misses Kuhn short there.

Also, on the sack by Wake in OT, Bulaga actually has Wake nearly blocked to the ground and AR pretty much runs right into it. You can see it on the highlights on NFL.com.

Packers4Glory
10-18-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't even care if the run isn't getting much in the yards department. I want them to continue to use it. They need to keep the defense somewhat honest and set up play action. Lets get a little more balance to the offense and we'll see a more effective offense and defense.

we're just F#$cked on special teams.

AtlPackFan
10-18-2010, 03:07 PM

That is actually what I meant. (Edit: the running part, not the hot chicks part). :oops:

What games I have seen it appears the running game is an after thought rather than a part of our game plan. Again, just from what I have seen.

channtheman
10-18-2010, 03:40 PM

There was a shot of him on the sideline yesterday and he put his head down and put a towel over his head. Definitely did not look like he was having any fun.

pbmax
10-18-2010, 04:28 PM
On half of his throws, I thought he was still concussed.

denverYooper
10-18-2010, 04:38 PM
On half of his throws, I thought he was still concussed.

The neighbor and I were saying the same. He looked drunk at times.

mmmdk
10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Stop the press!

I know what hit Aaron Rodgers; this is karma for befriending Chicago Bears pouty QB Jay Cutler. Rodgers has been cutlerized. :P

Brandon494
10-18-2010, 04:50 PM
No running game.

Teams are not respecting our running game at all and they're focusing more on stoping the pass game. Simple as that.

PA Pack Fan
10-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Crosby hits a fieldgoal, and the refs dont call a phantom weird ass penalty, and we're 5 and 1 and this thread doesn't exist.

sheepshead
10-18-2010, 05:46 PM
I didnt read this whole thread so sorry if im redundant, but I was at the game Sunday and you could see his timing seems off sometimes. Some plain ol' bad throws too. I do think the hits he's been taking have diminished some of the confidence we saw at times and hoped for. I think its tough for him to get on his line publicly or maybe at all. Its like pissing off your barber, could have the opposite effect. Bottom line, i think the hits are getting to him some. Not what we need to put out there either as bulletin board material.

sheepshead
10-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Crosby hits a fieldgoal, and the refs dont call a phantom weird ass penalty, and we're 5 and 1 and this thread doesn't exist.

MM takes the points instead of going for it in the 2nd quarter I put ahead of Crosbys miss.

Pugger
10-18-2010, 06:05 PM

There was a shot of him on the sideline yesterday and he put his head down and put a towel over his head. Definitely did not look like he was having any fun.

If I was getting slammed around and knocked in the head every week I wouldn't be having any fun either. :(

PA Pack Fan
10-18-2010, 06:51 PM
You guys expect way too much. The guy was #2 in passing yards out of the entire NFL this week!!! He can't be 100% every game, It just doesn't happen. All the greats have off days and he's allowed his too.

Look at how many stinkers Brent put up and when he did, boy were they foul!

gbgary
10-18-2010, 06:58 PM
he's fine imo. his worst enemy is mm and his game plan. losing finley and no running game hasn't helped.

pbmax
10-18-2010, 07:44 PM
No running game.

Teams are not respecting our running game at all and they're focusing more on stoping the pass game. Simple as that.
True. The JSO said the Dolphins spent the game with two safeties deep and everyone underneath in man coverage. Waiting for receivers to break free, Rodgers would occasionally suffer from pressure or run into pressure.

pbmax
10-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Quite possibly, but would you really feel the team was a bunch of world beaters? Or are they the team that squeaks by the Lions?

Bossman641
10-18-2010, 07:53 PM
No running game.

True. The JSO said the Dolphins spent the game with two safeties deep and everyone underneath in man coverage. Waiting for receivers to break free, Rodgers would occasionally suffer from pressure or run into pressure.

This is how it has been going back to the Bear game. Until MM sticks with the run and forces teams to come out of their 2 deep coverage Rodgers will see the same thing everytime. And with no cover 2 buster in Finley it is that much more difficult to beat the coverage.

bobblehead
10-18-2010, 08:40 PM

Send some pictures! I heard it works wonders....

I'm thinking pictures would hinder my chances....unless I sent pictures of someone younger and better looking!

bobblehead
10-18-2010, 08:41 PM

MM takes the points instead of going for it in the 2nd quarter I put ahead of Crosbys miss.

Or how about challenging the play where Jordy clearly puts the ball inside the pylon but is called out at the one. Then we don't fail miserably 4 times, but have 7 points instead.

But no, MM only challenges plays he is obviously going to lose.

packerbacker1234
10-18-2010, 09:45 PM
I didnt read this whole thread so sorry if im redundant, but I was at the game Sunday and you could see his timing seems off sometimes. Some plain ol' bad throws too. I do think the hits he's been taking have diminished some of the confidence we saw at times and hoped for. I think its tough for him to get on his line publicly or maybe at all. Its like pissing off your barber, could have the opposite effect. Bottom line, i think the hits are getting to him some. Not what we need to put out there either as bulletin board material.

Rodgers got slapped to the ground 50 times last season (and that is just the sacks, not counting QB pressures and hits)... he never, at any point during htat, appeared to have "lost his confidence".

In fact, while the OL play has been poor starting out here, it's actually been improved over how it started last year.

Rodger isn't a bad QB by any stretch of the imagination, but he may not be as good as he initially set the bar at. He still holds the ball too long, and no, it hasn't been corrected and it's been a consistent problem people have pointed out about him his entire career here. He isn't as decisive if his initial read isn't open - as in - he is slow in reading coverage, which leads to him holding the ball too long.

One thing I will say about Favre is outside of the fact Minnesota didn't throw the ball that much in their win, favre still completed a high percentage of balls while getting absolutely hammered, including some key 3rd down conversions, and he made one hell of a throw to moss in the endzone that should of been caught.

Not to bring up the age old comparison, but #4 is a prime example that lack of time in the pocket should not mean lack of ability to find an open reciever.

Rodgers isn't nearly under the gun as much as #4, and his numbers show that. However, he still seems to have a hard time getting the ball out of his hands quickly.

HE KNOWS his OL isn't going to give him more than 5 seconds max. He has 5 seconds to diagnose the defense and hit the open man. I just don't think he is reading the defense very well.

Pugger
10-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Whats wrong w/ AAron?

How bout no commitment to the run and spotty protection. No rushing = defense teeing off on the QB. It really puts the O-line on their heels to be pass protecting an entire game when the D knows you're not going to try and run the ball.

This makes everything less effective, most importantly the play action passing which is a huge part of this offense.

Commit to the damn run. at least it kills some clock and the defense isn't out there for so many minutes every damn game.

Total Plays 78 to 59

Guess which number we are? This is what happens when you can't run the ball. you wear the D down and then guys start getting hurt. More time = more risk.

Miami had the ball for almost 10 more minutes in a game that was decided by and OT FG.

+1

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Whats wrong w/ AAron?

Total Plays 78 to 59

+1

Maybe it wold have been better to have a 12 play drive ending in a FG instead of a one play drive for a TD to Jennings. The number of plays doesn't matter much if you keep scoring.

Tarlam!
10-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Or how about challenging the play where Jordy clearly puts the ball inside the pylon but is called out at the one. Then we don't fail miserably 4 times, but have 7 points instead.

The call was good. Jordy was OB, there is no question. At any rate, the video evidence wasn't sufficent to overturn the call on the field. It was a correct non-challenge.

Tarlam!
10-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Not to bring up the age old comparison

Yeah, but you did. Couldn't resist, I guess. I just hope the thread doesn't morph as a result, because the discussion up until now has been invigorating and on topic.

sheepshead
10-19-2010, 03:47 AM

Rodgers got slapped to the ground 50 times last season (and that is just the sacks, not counting QB pressures and hits)... he never, at any point during htat, appeared to have "lost his confidence".

In fact, while the OL play has been poor starting out here, it's actually been improved over how it started last year.

Rodger isn't a bad QB by any stretch of the imagination, but he may not be as good as he initially set the bar at. He still holds the ball too long, and no, it hasn't been corrected and it's been a consistent problem people have pointed out about him his entire career here. He isn't as decisive if his initial read isn't open - as in - he is slow in reading coverage, which leads to him holding the ball too long.

One thing I will say about Favre is outside of the fact Minnesota didn't throw the ball that much in their win, favre still completed a high percentage of balls while getting absolutely hammered, including some key 3rd down conversions, and he made one hell of a throw to moss in the endzone that should of been caught.

Not to bring up the age old comparison, but #4 is a prime example that lack of time in the pocket should not mean lack of ability to find an open reciever.

Rodgers isn't nearly under the gun as much as #4, and his numbers show that. However, he still seems to have a hard time getting the ball out of his hands quickly.

HE KNOWS his OL isn't going to give him more than 5 seconds max. He has 5 seconds to diagnose the defense and hit the open man. I just don't think he is reading the defense very well.

Thats kinda my point. Its an observation. I wasnt trying to quote arod.

Fritz
10-19-2010, 06:56 AM
I think part of it falls on McStubby. He kept emphasizing Rodgers taking more risks.

Rodgers' first season success was often hinged upon his checking down and getting short gains. Now we see lots more long passes going incomplete.

Packers4Glory
10-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Whats wrong w/ AAron?

Total Plays 78 to 59

+1

Maybe it wold have been better to have a 12 play drive ending in a FG instead of a one play drive for a TD to Jennings. The number of plays doesn't matter much if you keep scoring.

How many of those have we had all season?

1 play scores are not the norm. we still need to run the ball and keep teams honest.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Didn't read the whole thread, but Rodgers ran into a lot many sacks yesterday. I seemed like he wasn't at all comfortable in the pocket. Many times I would see him roll out and he would have a nice pocket formed. Maybe its the receivers not getting open (and I do think they are overrated), but I think overall he had a below average game.

Side note - Driver looks like he has lost a step this year.

get louder at lambeau
10-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Here are the sacks. Discuss amongst yourselves-

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81b64d49/Dolphins-defense-sack-12-yd-loss

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81b64d45/Dolphins-defense-sack-5-yd-loss

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81b65dce/Dolphins-defense-sack-1-yd-loss

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81b65e77/Dolphins-defense-sack-5-yd-loss

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81b66981/Dolphins-defense-sack-7-yd-loss

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-19-2010, 12:00 PM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81b64d49/Dolphins-defense-sack-12-yd-loss

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81b64d45/Dolphins-defense-sack-5-yd-loss

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81b65dce/Dolphins-defense-sack-1-yd-loss

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81b65e77/Dolphins-defense-sack-5-yd-loss

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81b66981/Dolphins-defense-sack-7-yd-loss

Number 1 and number 5 look like he just didn't have time to throw. Number 2 and 3 looks like he ran into the sack. I could be that just no one is getting open, but it looked like he had time and just didn't stay in the pocket long enough. Number 4 is odd b/c he looks at Quarless and has time to throw it to him but he doesn't and instead eats the sack.

I count 3 on Rodgers, 2 on the online.

MichiganPackerFan
10-19-2010, 12:15 PM
It's definitely time for him to have an A game this week against MIN. With SO MANY players out, he has got to be BIG.

retailguy
10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Look, this team starts this way every year. Just don't look in sync for the first half of the season.

This year was a little better, but still not good. Then the injury bug bit hard, and now, we just aren't very good.

Our OL is still below average (and I don't care what the statistics say), but it bounces from one to the other lineman, just like it has for the past 3 years. Now cliffy and tausch look old, but bulaga looks pretty raw too. this year colledge has played better, but still not great. if it weren't for wells & sitton, I'm not sure where we'd be.

fact is, we're beat up. we're going to lose a fair amount of games this season, so we just have to live with it.

you get what you get with McCarthy. He isn't going to change. We aren't going to run the ball. We aren't going to a short dump off game. we're gonna keep chucking it, and Rodgers is gonna keep getting hit.

Rodgers is NOT our problem. He's a symptom of the problem. When the problem is fixed, Rodgers will go immediately back to being a top 5 qb.

we need different playcalling and a better, (consistent is a better word) OL. Oh, and a few less injured players too.

get louder at lambeau
10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
we need different playcalling and a better, (consistent is a better word) OL. Oh, and a few less injured players too.

One less injury (Matthews) and we're 5-1, even with all the other injuries, the playcalling, and the OL.

red
10-19-2010, 04:47 PM

like i mentioned in another thread, or maybe this one. a-rod didn't do bulaga any favors in this game. BB got beat by the ole reggie white hump move on one sack. on the others he seems to have held his position pretty good, rodgers then moved into a position to get sacked

digitaldean
10-19-2010, 08:03 PM
IMO, Rodgers has had a decent year. Nowhere near great, but also nowhere near deserving the criticism from some in this forum and idiot writers like Silverstein. Only strikes against him in Miami game is the pick in the 2nd half and the pass that missed Nelson early in the game.

But hear some other items that aren't helping the O's cause....(and yes, some of them have been beaten to death already, but I'm fed up with Rodgers getting unjustly criticized)

DROPS and FUMBLES: Who fumbled the ball late vs. the Bears? (Jones).Who dropped a sure TD on the offside call at the beginning of the game vs. Miami? (Jones). Who had four drops in ONE game ? (Driver). Nelson has had numerous drops this season as well. Jennings has had drops as well. Not expecting perfection from the WR corps, but when you are dropping sure TDs or giving the opponent the ball on your side of the field, it doesn't help.

BLOCKING (or lack thereof): Bulaga was great vs. Wash and Orakpo. Against Miami, he stunk on ice. Even worse, no significant help was provided. Cliffy is good for the run, but is a revolving door in pass protection to this point.

DUMBASS penalties: Colledge's false starts

PLAYCALLING and CLOCK MISMANAGEMENT: Washington game. We are actually running pretty well vs. Washington, but then abandon it when we get stopped on a couple plays. Though I get going for it on 4th & Goal in the first half, the call to have Quarless be the main receiver on the play for such a crucial call is bizarre at best.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Masthay can't punt consistently to save his soul. Why is this guy even on the roster? Call Jeff Feagles and throw money in his face to punt the rest of the year. (currently he's rIf he can't punt decently when it's nice out, how the heck can he punt when the ball becomes a block of ice in November and December? Our coverage, even before the injuries, was pathetic. Now with all the backups being asked to start, the new backups are doing even worse (if that's possible).

mission
10-19-2010, 09:11 PM
he's fine imo. his worst enemy is mm and his game plan. losing finley and no running game hasn't helped.

I'd have to align myself with this most --but very good thread, a lot of you make good points that all have some validity.

Not a whole lot more I can add, but I don't see him hitting any ridiculously good stretches coming up. Only because I believe MM and the lack of running game will not be able to create a productive environment.

The team's a mess, frankly.

But I'm still down! Go Pack Go!

Who knows, maybe a top 10 draft pick will get us that playmaker that puts us over the top (and MM somehow gets fired) ?? :lol: :roll:

The Leaper
10-19-2010, 10:46 PM
When your QB calls out the head coach for his playcalling/substitutions, it isn't a good sign. The QB and coach should be in lock step. If they aren't, nothing but bad mojo will follow...and we are seeing that all too well.

To some extent, I think Rodgers has gotten caught up a little in all the attention and accolades. That is only natural. I think it happens to just about any QB who starts ascending that ladder into the clouds where the best in the game currently reside. It's McCarthy's job to kick Rodgers square in the ass and make sure he realizes that he has to work even harder now. McCarthy can't even do that to his pathetic ST coach...so how will he do it to Rodgers?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. McCarthy is in over his head. He's not a head coach. He doesn't understand how to evaluate and assemble the best coaching staff to support him. He doesn't understand how to make effective adjustments at halftime to take advantages of strengths/weaknesses seen in the opposition's game plan. Hell...he can't even figure out how to ensure that he makes challenges properly. The guy really has never put together a string of nice victories against teams with talent on par with his own.

If the QB loses confidence in the head coach, things will unravel. Rodgers starts thinking about why something else might work better rather than focusing on doing his job 100% on the play at hand. He's not going through his progressions effectively enough. He's got happy feet every time he goes back to pass. These are warning signs that something isn't right...and the Packers better jump on that mess in a hurry.

denverYooper
10-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Rodgers: "I have to look at myself first and I have to play better. I have not been playing up to the standard I've set...in my 38 starts."

Guiness
10-20-2010, 05:14 PM
IMO, Rodgers has had a decent year. Nowhere near great, but also nowhere near deserving the criticism from some in this forum and idiot writers like Silverstein. Only strikes against him in Miami game is the pick in the 2nd half and the pass that missed Nelson early in the game.

But hear some other items that aren't helping the O's cause....(and yes, some of them have been beaten to death already, but I'm fed up with Rodgers getting unjustly criticized)

DROPS and FUMBLES: Who fumbled the ball late vs. the Bears? (Jones).Who dropped a sure TD on the offside call at the beginning of the game vs. Miami? (Jones). Who had four drops in ONE game ? (Driver). Nelson has had numerous drops this season as well. Jennings has had drops as well. Not expecting perfection from the WR corps, but when you are dropping sure TDs or giving the opponent the ball on your side of the field, it doesn't help.

BLOCKING (or lack thereof): Bulaga was great vs. Wash and Orakpo. Against Miami, he stunk on ice. Even worse, no significant help was provided. Cliffy is good for the run, but is a revolving door in pass protection to this point.

DUMBASS penalties: Colledge's false starts

PLAYCALLING and CLOCK MISMANAGEMENT: Washington game. We are actually running pretty well vs. Washington, but then abandon it when we get stopped on a couple plays. Though I get going for it on 4th & Goal in the first half, the call to have Quarless be the main receiver on the play for such a crucial call is bizarre at best.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Masthay can't punt consistently to save his soul. Why is this guy even on the roster? Call Jeff Feagles and throw money in his face to punt the rest of the year. (currently he's rIf he can't punt decently when it's nice out, how the heck can he punt when the ball becomes a block of ice in November and December? Our coverage, even before the injuries, was pathetic. Now with all the backups being asked to start, the new backups are doing even worse (if that's possible).

I don't know if I can agree with all of that, DD.

Clifton is ok in the run, and bad in Pass Pro? I didn't see the Miami game, but unless something has drastically changed in the game of a 10 year vet, that's the exact opposite of what he's been like.

Nelson drops: It was mentioned elsewhere, that not counting ST drops (which don't affect Rodgers) he has had one drop this season.

bobblehead
10-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Whats wrong w/ AAron?

Total Plays 78 to 59

+1

You are correct......when you cite the play where we scored and not the ones where ARod got hit and we went 3 and out trying. As a whole, history dictates that the way to win a football game is:

A) Win the turnover battle
B) Win TOP
C) Score when in the Red Zone

I have seen stats on "explosive plays" but those teams generally are less successful overall.

Bossman641
10-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Whats wrong w/ AAron?

Total Plays 78 to 59

+1

You are correct......when you cite the play where we scored and not the ones where ARod got hit and we went 3 and out trying. As a whole, history dictates that the way to win a football game is:

A) Win the turnover battle
B) Win TOP
C) Score when in the Red Zone

I have seen stats on "explosive plays" but those teams generally are less successful overall.

This is the big one and I don't think it has been emphasized enough. Last year the defense was great at forcing turnovers and the offense, especially Rodgers, really took care of the ball. This year has been the opposite.

Turnover battle

Week 1 - Packers turn it over 2 times, Philly 1 W
Week 2 - Packers 0, Buffalo 2 W
Week 3 - Packers 2, Bears 1 L
Week 4 - Packers 4, Lions 3 W
Week 5 - Packers 2, Washington 1 L
Week 6 - Packers 1, Miami 1 L