PDA

View Full Version : Finley officially sent to I.R.

packers11
10-18-2010, 12:33 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers placed TE Jermichael Finley (knee) on injured reserve, ending his season.

Finley was holding out hope of making it back in time for the playoffs, but the Packers have too many injuries to tie up a roster spot for him. Dynasty owners should not be overly concerned, however. Finley's meniscus repair is not nearly as severe as a ligament tear and it will actually keep his knee in better shape over the long term. With two 100-yard games and a touchdown in four full games played this season, Finley did nothing to make us think he won't battle to be the No. 1 fantasy tight end next year. He should be fine for the entire offseason program. Oct. 18 - 12:51 pm et

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Patler
10-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Not surprising with all the shorter term injuries they have. Hard to keep a spot for a guy who is 10 weeks away when you have 7 or 8 who can't play this week but can in a week or two or three.

Kiwon
10-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Tough way to conclude a very promising season.

mmmdk
10-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Not surprising with all the shorter term injuries they have. Hard to keep a spot for a guy who is 10 weeks away when you have 7 or 8 who can't play this week but can in a week or two or three.

I agree but damn it sucks.

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 01:01 PM
It's a mistake if they really thought he could come back. If they somehow stumble into the playoffs, they now don't have a single difference maker at all on offense, unless Rodgers gets his head back on straight. This is officially the end of any chance the Packers had of making the Superbowl.

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 01:02 PM

I disagree. Like I said, that's if they think he would be healed in time. Who cares about #53 on the roster? Is that guy going to win you a playoff game? Or help you win a game to get to the playoffs. Not a chance. Season's over.

Tarlam!
10-18-2010, 01:03 PM
It's disappointing, but the smarter thing to do for the team.

Cheesehead Craig
10-18-2010, 01:03 PM
It's a mistake if they really thought he could come back. If they somehow stumble into the playoffs, they now don't have a single difference maker at all on offense, unless Rodgers gets his head back on straight. This is officially the end of any chance the Packers had of making the Superbowl.
If they are able to make the playoffs at this point, I think they will have shown to be able to move the ball w/o Finley.

But I agree that it really does fall on Rodgers to get his head on straight.

mmmdk
10-18-2010, 01:06 PM

I disagree. Like I said, that's if they think he would be healed in time. Who cares about #53 on the roster? Is that guy going to win you a playoff game? Or help you win a game to get to the playoffs. Not a chance. Season's over.

Legit point and I would agree 100% if Packers had something better than a prayer for a PO spot.

mmmdk
10-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I'd like to emphasize that Finley's injury went from ashes to ashes; a few weeks became a few months. It might be what the doctor ordered.

gbgary
10-18-2010, 01:16 PM
oh well.

Patler
10-18-2010, 02:24 PM

They need roster spots to get to the playoffs. If they do, presumably they will have found alternatives.

When did this offense become all about Finley? Wasn't it pretty good with Lee before Finley was drafted? Wasn't it pretty good when Finley was nothing more than a smart-alec rookie? Wasn't it pretty good when Finley was out last year?

Finley has the potential to make this offense even better, I agree. But the offense isn't (or shouldn't be) dead in the water without him. It should be better than average, even without him.

#53 on the roster becomes pretty darned important when you have 7 players who can't play this week due to injuries, but who will be back in a matter of a few games. If the team was healthy, there would be plenty of room to carry Finley, just as they did the second punter under Sherman. But the team isn't healthy. Right now you have to run your roster in the best way to win the next 10 games, and worry about the playoffs if and when you get there. Having Finley available for the first playoff game doesn't help if you don't make the playoffs.

bobblehead
10-18-2010, 03:00 PM

I fully agree with this. He changes a game. We need him to win in the playoffs. If there was a chance of him being ready for week 17 I would have kept him on the roster.

bobblehead
10-18-2010, 03:02 PM

Legit point and I would agree 100% if Packers had something better than a prayer for a PO spot.

If we beat Minny this week we have WAY better than a prayer. We get chicago again and they have a tough schedule coming as well. I would have played sunday before IR ing him.

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 07:32 PM

They need roster spots to get to the playoffs. If they do, presumably they will have found alternatives.

When did this offense become all about Finley? Wasn't it pretty good with Lee before Finley was drafted? Wasn't it pretty good when Finley was nothing more than a smart-alec rookie? Wasn't it pretty good when Finley was out last year?

Finley has the potential to make this offense even better, I agree. But the offense isn't (or shouldn't be) dead in the water without him. It should be better than average, even without him.

#53 on the roster becomes pretty darned important when you have 7 players who can't play this week due to injuries, but who will be back in a matter of a few games. If the team was healthy, there would be plenty of room to carry Finley, just as they did the second punter under Sherman. But the team isn't healthy. Right now you have to run your roster in the best way to win the next 10 games, and worry about the playoffs if and when you get there. Having Finley available for the first playoff game doesn't help if you don't make the playoffs.

I say they can make it without Montgomery or Francois (What did he know, and when did he know it?) for a week or two to keep Finley eligible. Nobody is going to take them away, and it may be addition by subtraction in some cases. OF COURSE, all this discussion is moot if Finley wouldn't be ready by week 16/17. It will be interesting to see whether Finley keeps quiet late in the season if he's recovered and the Packers are on the edge....

Brohm
10-18-2010, 07:52 PM
They are going to need another LB, Popps is out with the same injury as Finley. Surgery tomorrow to fix and find out if it's the 3 week or season ender.

Patler
10-18-2010, 09:38 PM
I say they can make it without Montgomery or Francois (What did he know, and when did he know it?) for a week or two to keep Finley eligible. Nobody is going to take them away, and it may be addition by subtraction in some cases. OF COURSE, all this discussion is moot if Finley wouldn't be ready by week 16/17. It will be interesting to see whether Finley keeps quiet late in the season if he's recovered and the Packers are on the edge....

Who would have played in Francois' place? I think he played defensive snaps too, didn't he? Chiller and Mathews were out, then Poppinga went out. They only had Francois and Simpkins behind those in the game.

Same with Montgomery. Until Pickett and/or Neal return, they need Montgomery or anther DL.

With all the short-term, but incapacitating injuries, roster spots are at a premium right now.

packerbacker1234
10-18-2010, 09:49 PM
If we make the playoffs at all, I think we have as good of shot to get TO the superbowl as any other NFC team. Not sure if anyone has been paying attentionm but there isn't a single NFC team that looks like a world beater. As bad as we have looked, or minnesota has, or the saints... that is the way everyone in the NFC looks, with the exception of the eagles with a healthy Vick.

Pugger
10-18-2010, 10:46 PM
If we make the playoffs at all, I think we have as good of shot to get TO the superbowl as any other NFC team. Not sure if anyone has been paying attentionm but there isn't a single NFC team that looks like a world beater. As bad as we have looked, or minnesota has, or the saints... that is the way everyone in the NFC looks, with the exception of the eagles with a healthy Vick.

+1

I agree, it is a tad early to throw in the towel. These past couple of weeks have been disheartening to say the least but things can change in the coming weeks. Last year we were 4-4 but the fellas got it together and got into the playoffs. And isn't that the goal?

Bossman641
10-18-2010, 10:59 PM

Who would have played in Francois' place? I think he played defensive snaps too, didn't he? Chiller and Mathews were out, then Poppinga went out. They only had Francois and Simpkins behind those in the game.

Same with Montgomery. Until Pickett and/or Neal return, they need Montgomery or anther DL.

With all the short-term, but incapacitating injuries, roster spots are at a premium right now.

Unfortunately yes.

mraynrand
10-18-2010, 11:08 PM

They can mix alignments (more d-backs or more linemen versus fewer LBs or vice versa depending on who they have). If you really think Montgomery made a difference in the game, then you can have him on the roster. I'd rather take my chances with a few more snaps for Wilson and keep Finley alive.

MadScientist
10-18-2010, 11:16 PM

I fully agree with this. He changes a game. We need him to win in the playoffs. If there was a chance of him being ready for week 17 I would have kept him on the roster.
The key in the original statement is IF. I'm guessing the Packers didn't think it was likely that Finley would be back for the playoffs, but thought maybe there was an outside chance. Now the roster spot is more important than an outside hope.

Tarlam!
10-19-2010, 01:08 AM
The key in the original statement is IF. I'm guessing the Packers didn't think it was likely that Finley would be back for the playoffs, but thought maybe there was an outside chance. Now the roster spot is more important than an outside hope.

Well, if they win last Sunday, maybe they don't IR Finley. 4-2 is better than 3-3 to even make the playoffs. They need to eek out 6 more wins for a chance IMO. Having Finley back with an 8-8 record helps no one.

mmmdk
10-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Well, if they win last Sunday, maybe they don't IR Finley. 4-2 is better than 3-3 to even make the playoffs. They need to eek out 6 more wins for a chance IMO. Having Finley back with an 8-8 record helps no one.

I kid not; I'd sell this season for an 8-8 record. BAM, right here & right now.

ThunderDan
10-20-2010, 04:19 PM

I kid not; I'd sell this season for an 8-8 record. BAM, right here & right now.

Just don't start a The Packers Will Be Lucky To Finish 3-7 Thread. :lol:

channtheman
10-20-2010, 08:02 PM

Yeah, is McDonald going to make any difference at all for this team come week 17? If Finley would have been back then I think this is a mistake. Then again, it's a lot to assume the Packers stumble into the playoffs.

I actually think the season is already over so this is probably the smart move. Get Finley completely healthy with an entire off season of rehab and don't rush him into anything.

ThunderDan
10-20-2010, 08:08 PM

Yeah, is McDonald going to make any difference at all for this team come week 17? If Finley would have been back then I think this is a mistake. Then again, it's a lot to assume the Packers stumble into the playoffs.

I actually think the season is already over so this is probably the smart move. Get Finley completely healthy with an entire off season of rehab and don't rush him into anything.

What would Ty say to you with that attitude? Et tu Brutus?