PDA

View Full Version : Helmet To Helmet

Joemailman
10-18-2010, 08:01 PM
http://digitalsportsdaily.com/nfl/teams/4149-video-brandon-meriweather-hit-on-todd-heap.html

Video of Brandon Meriweather's hit on Todd Heap. If the NFL wants to stop concussions, they need to stop with the $5000 fines, and start suspending guys. Helmets are not there to be used as weapons.

digitaldean
10-18-2010, 08:43 PM
http://digitalsportsdaily.com/nfl/teams/4149-video-brandon-meriweather-hit-on-todd-heap.html

Video of Brandon Meriweather's hit on Todd Heap. If the NFL wants to stop concussions, they need to stop with the $5000 fines, and start suspending guys. Helmets are not there to be used as weapons.

Rodney Harrison on NBC last night said fines meant nothing ( he saved part of his salary for fines). Missing game time to him meant more.

Lo and behold, old Roger came out today stating that they MIGHT be suspending players. We'll see what happens.

That hit was filthy. Now everyone has to act like Jack Tatum to be the human highlight reel.

packerbacker1234
10-18-2010, 09:55 PM
I think accidental hits occur with helmet to helmet, even ones where a player is leading with it may just be poor form, versus TRYING to hit the other guy in the helmet.

Plays like this, however, have to be suspendable,. It was clearly inteded to hit heap head to head, and it knocked heap out of hte game and maybe next weeks game, which changes a lot for the ravens.

It wasn't just a cheap shot, it was a completely illegal intentional hit.

It has to be worthy of at least missing a game.

MadScientist
10-18-2010, 11:28 PM
When a player is injured by a cheap, deliberate, and illegal hit, that player should be suspended for as long as it takes for the injured player to recover. That would be a closer to justice, and a real deterrent.

Noodle
10-18-2010, 11:35 PM
It's almost unheard of for a football player to get tossed from a game. That needs to end. Throw guys the hell out for hits like that, and hit them with an auto 1 game suspension.

For hits on the margin, give the guy a yellow card or something like they do in soccer, so the player knows if he doesn't tone it down he's gonna get run.

You'd be amazed how quickly this crap would stop.

Freak Out
10-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Who is the Steeler who cleaned someones clock this weekend? Harrison? He was making comments to the effect he went out there trying to take guys out.

It may take a death to get a change through.

Tarlam!
10-19-2010, 12:56 AM
It's almost unheard of for a football player to get tossed from a game. That needs to end. Throw guys the hell out for hits like that, and hit them with an auto 1 game suspension.

For hits on the margin, give the guy a yellow card or something like they do in soccer, so the player knows if he doesn't tone it down he's gonna get run.

You'd be amazed how quickly this crap would stop.

I like your ideas, but I can tell you, living in a soccer mad country, there are still plenty of red cards.

Tarlam!
10-19-2010, 01:00 AM
When a player is injured by a cheap, deliberate, and illegal hit, that player should be suspended for as long as it takes for the injured player to recover. That would be a closer to justice, and a real deterrent.

I like this idea, alot!!But what do you do if it's a career ending injury?

I think Noodle's take is easier to enforce, sprinkled in with a hearing to decide how long the suspension should be if the injured player misses time.

MJZiggy
10-19-2010, 06:28 AM

This is very close to what Tony Dungy had to say about it. "Your guy's out $5k, but my guy's out for 3 weeks."

mraynrand
10-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Who is the Steeler who cleaned someones clock this weekend? Harrison? He was making comments to the effect he went out there trying to take guys out.

It may take a death to get a change through.

I saw that game. It was ugly. Both his hits that caused concussions were helmet first deliberate hits. And the dummy was celebrating after each one while the guy is lying still on the ground. Cribbs and Massaquoi down and out. Have to see what you tackle. Sure some bad hits happen at random, but when it's deliberate like with Harrison, that has to stop.

mraynrand
10-19-2010, 08:11 AM

This is very close to what Tony Dungy had to say about it. "Your guy's out $5k, but my guy's out for 3 weeks."

I know Dungy means well, but sometimes the GUY is out for 30 years

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/814/746/83025831.jpg.18955_crop_340x234.jpg

bobblehead
10-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Now you guys want the officials reading minds? Fuck that, the penalty has to be standard regardless of how bad a guy is hurt, what the intention was, etc. I don't care if its severe or mild, but consistent is the key.

Cheesehead Craig
10-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Need to make it an incrimental suspension like with the failed drug tests. First violation - 1 game, second - 4 games, third - 8 games or whatever you want it to be. They need to get the repeat offenders of these hits the biggest penalties.

mraynrand
10-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Now you guys want the officials reading minds?

That would help. Francois: "Uhhh, uhh, watch for fake, uhh, who do I cover?, uhh, uhh, Am I supposed to be 1 yard off the line? I think I am 1.6578 microns too close to the line, uhh, uh oh, Ed Hochuli is looking at me weird, uhh uhh....."

Actually, no Bobble. You lead with the crown of your helmet, you get fined. Keep doing it, knock a player out doing it, and you get suspended. No mind reading required.

Tarlam!
10-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Now you guys want the officials reading minds? Fuck that, the penalty has to be standard regardless of how bad a guy is hurt, what the intention was, etc. I don't care if its severe or mild, but consistent is the key.

Do you think a 5K fine is sufficient?

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-19-2010, 10:42 AM
That hit could end a guys career. I think he deserves a suspension and a fine really.

MichiganPackerFan
10-19-2010, 11:57 AM

I agree. However, it always seems like the suspensions occur when that team is playing another division rival. Therefore 1) you're a man down when you play because of the hit 2) your rival has a better opportunity to win because the player is suspended the next time they play

Guiness
10-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Actually, it's not mind reading, it's a judgment call, and we ask refs to make them all the time.

Hockey has a penalty called 'intent to injure'. I think it has a place in football. If you get an intent to injure, it's an automatic match penalty. In hockey, that's 3-5 games, automatically reviewable (and perhaps extended) by the league.

In football, the way I see this being implemented would be that it's an automatic ejection from the game, and if it happens in the last 5 minutes, the next game as well.

Tarlam!
10-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Hockey has a penalty called 'intent to injure'. I think it has a place in football. If you get an intent to injure, it's an automatic match penalty. In hockey, that's 3-5 games, automatically reviewable (and perhaps extended) by the league.

In football, the way I see this being implemented would be that it's an automatic ejection from the game, and if it happens in the last 5 minutes, the next game as well.

Sounds like a great idea. But I think something has to be done NOW to punish the perpertrators, especially when the Zebras miss it completely, like Rogers in Washington. a 5K fine is laughable. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think that hit was viscous or in any way compareable to what went down Sunday.

The punishment should be in as severe as the crime.

Guiness
10-19-2010, 02:35 PM

Sounds like a great idea. But I think something has to be done NOW to punish the perpertrators, especially when the Zebras miss it completely, like Rogers in Washington. a 5K fine is laughable. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think that hit was viscous or in any way compareable to what went down Sunday.

In law, it's called the 'think skull rule'. If you hit an old lady and give her brain damage, saying that a regular person wouldn't have suffered brain damage is no defense. You're charged based on the results of your action.

Don't know how it plays out in pro sports. The example of ending a guy's career is the one always trotted out. Do you kick a guy out for life for doing that? By doing so, are you preventing him from earning a living?

Jimx29
10-19-2010, 03:55 PM
They are starting suspensions one week to late....at least they doing something about it

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-helmet-to-helmethits

Freak Out
10-19-2010, 05:43 PM
They are starting suspensions one week to late....at least they doing something about it

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-helmet-to-helmethits

When as the last time a player was ejected for a hit?

pack4to84
10-19-2010, 06:29 PM
as long as they force it both ways then I am all for it. Both ways meaning offense and defense. If a offensive player lowers his head to hit defense player he should be fine and suspend too.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4378870/hit-squad/?playlist_id=87857
i agree with Peter King

Tarlam!
10-20-2010, 04:36 AM
as long as they force it both ways then I am all for it. Both ways meaning offense and defense. If a offensive player lowers his head to hit defense player he should be fine and suspend too.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4378870/hit-squad/?playlist_id=87857
i agree with Peter King

I couldn't get the vid to work, but I couldn't disagree more. It's mostly the ball carrier that lowers his helmet in order to penetrate the DL , gain a few more yards or inches or even to protect himself and the ball etc. He is not trying to knock anybody's head off.

The helmet to helmut being discussed here has nothing to do with a ball carrier leading with his helmet.

Maybe in the King comments it's mentioned, so maybe my opinion is way off.

bobblehead
10-20-2010, 06:30 AM

Well, I just saw that a player was fined 50k for hitting todd heap. I guess you gotta protect todd heap a bit more than aaron rodgers. :shock:

NO, 5k is wipe your ass money for Brian Orakpo. All fines should be a straight percentage of your current contract (on a per year basis).

I personally would pay 5k if they would let me do a flying head butt to a certain viking QB and I don't have anywhere near Orakpo's money.

bobblehead
10-20-2010, 06:33 AM

In law, it's called the 'think skull rule'. If you hit an old lady and give her brain damage, saying that a regular person wouldn't have suffered brain damage is no defense. You're charged based on the results of your action.

Don't know how it plays out in pro sports. The example of ending a guy's career is the one always trotted out. Do you kick a guy out for life for doing that? By doing so, are you preventing him from earning a living?

Yes, I always thought the law was stupid. If you are a bad murderer you get less of a penalty by law than a guy who did exactly what you did, but was better at it.

Tarlam!
10-20-2010, 08:16 AM

Well, I just saw that a player was fined 50k for hitting todd heap. I guess you gotta protect todd heap a bit more than aaron rodgers. :shock:

NO, 5k is wipe your ass money for Brian Orakpo. All fines should be a straight percentage of your current contract (on a per year basis).

I personally would pay 5k if they would let me do a flying head butt to a certain viking QB and I don't have anywhere near Orakpo's money.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b77d1c/article/steelers-lb-harrison-mulling-retirement-after-75k-fine-for-hit?module=HP_headlines

Steelers LB Harrison mulling retirement after $75K fine for hit

Well, if he can't play within the rules he should retire. I like hard hitting, smash-mouth football. In fact I love it. I loved when CMIII LEGALLY put Kolb out of a game. I felt sorry for the guy that he got a concussion and almost lost his starting gig, but THAT'S hard nosed, legal football.

Launching yourself at an almost defenseless WR helmut first is downright dangerous.

ThunderDan
10-20-2010, 08:48 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b77d1c/article/steelers-lb-harrison-mulling-retirement-after-75k-fine-for-hit?module=HP_headlines

Steelers LB Harrison mulling retirement after $75K fine for hit

Well, if he can't play within the rules he should retire. I like hard hitting, smash-mouth football. In fact I love it. I loved when CMIII LEGALLY put Kolb out of a game. I felt sorry for the guy that he got a concussion and almost lost his starting gig, but THAT'S hard nosed, legal football.

Launching yourself at an almost defenseless WR helmut first is downright dangerous.

Trust me Harrison is posturing and this has nothing to do with him retiring. The real sick thing about Harrison is that after the game he was saying how he likes to hurt the opponent and he was glad to knock them out (In his words, Put them to Sleep).