PDA

View Full Version : ESPN forces coaches to use timeouts Monday Night.

The Leaper
10-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Hmm...looks like the NFL might be in a little hot water themselves after Jeff Fisher tossed them under the bus. Seems the NFL is hip on orchestrating the number of ad spots in the game. Obviously, I can see why they want to ensure that the required number of ad spots are used up...but perhaps they should consider a different option? This is heading down a rabbit hole that conspiracy theorists will love.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jeff-Fisher-was-asked-to-call-timeouts-for-MNF-c?urn=nfl-278323

Tarlam!
10-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Honestly, in a blow out like that, how big is the audience in the final two minutes?

It stinks to high heaven, but it's money that talks.

packerbacker1234
10-19-2010, 11:45 PM
in a blow out it doesn't matter. The question is if it happens in thos situations, has it happened in much tighter games? That is where thing start to get real interesting, because if timeouts in a close game are getting blown for the sake of commercial, you could litterally be costing one of the teams to lose the game.

That is where this all gets sticky.

channtheman
10-20-2010, 01:49 AM
in a blow out it doesn't matter. The question is if it happens in thos situations, has it happened in much tighter games? That is where thing start to get real interesting, because if timeouts in a close game are getting blown for the sake of commercial, you could litterally be costing one of the teams to lose the game.

That is where this all gets sticky.

I doubt that has ever happened. In a blowout, I could see it happening because the game is decided and ESPN just wants its ads filled. Never in a close game would something like that happen and decide the game.

Guiness
10-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Ya. And the NBA refs only shaved points when the game wasn't in question.

Tarlam!
10-20-2010, 03:17 AM
has it happened in much tighter games?

I doubt that has ever happened.

In a close game, TOs are often vital to the strategy of getting the points, icing the kicker etc. I doubt it's necessary to get coaches to take TOs for ads. In high scoring shootouts, they get plenty of ad breaks.

Little Whiskey
10-20-2010, 08:30 AM
this explains why they won't dissallow the bush league play of trying to ice a kicker. more ad time!!

packerbacker1234
10-20-2010, 10:01 AM
has it happened in much tighter games?

I doubt that has ever happened.

In a close game, TOs are often vital to the strategy of getting the points, icing the kicker etc. I doubt it's necessary to get coaches to take TOs for ads. In high scoring shootouts, they get plenty of ad breaks.

What about those really odd time outs in the first half that make no sense? Tam is driving everything looks great, play gets in, go up to the line, 10 seconds on the playclock... TO.

Why?

I doubt it happens as much in the 2nd half of tight games, but could it be happening? Not talking under 2 minutes, talking throughout the game, knowing that the pace of it wont allow for enough breaks.

Tarlam!
10-20-2010, 10:14 AM
What about those really odd time outs in the first half that make no sense? Tam is driving everything looks great, play gets in, go up to the line, 10 seconds on the playclock... TO.

Why?

I doubt it happens as much in the 2nd half of tight games, but could it be happening?

Well, I am guessing, so I can't answer your question.

But the article states that the Referee is responsible for debriefing the HCs at the half about the ad break balance, so, my interpretation is that's the first update status.

Now, your question could be answered with "It's agreed that each team takes at least two TOs in the first half" or whatever. I don't know. I'm just speculating.

But to be honest, I like the way the NFL doesn't have sponsors plastered all over their unfiforms, like in other sports. I like the way the NFL attains revenue.

mmmdk
10-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Thank you ESPN for given Chris Johnson the rock; needed 2 FP & got 10 on last play to win in fantasy land. Crazy!