PDA

View Full Version : Dear chefs,

SkinBasket
10-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Since we seems to have an abnormal amount of people with cheffing expertise, I thought I would start a thread were I and others, if they exist, can post for help on what the motherfuck went wrong with what I was cooking.

So to kick it off, I start with celery root puree, which was meant to provide a nice earthy bitter compliment to a couple steaks in the same manner blue cheese might.

I skinned and diced the root. simmered it for about 15 minutes in chicken broth and garlic with some salt until it was soft then we slapped it in the processor with a little butter and heavy cream.

It smelled great, but tasted like ass. The bitterness was still overwhelming on the back end. How can this be resolved next time?

Freak Out
10-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Chicken broth? WTF? More milk (1cup) and a little more butter perhaps...cook with a few potatoes and add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Blend the fuck out of it and salt/pepper to taste.

When cooking roots like that always salt the water a bit before boiling....they should be boiled....don't sauté them.

MJZiggy
10-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Ok, I have this problem every time I cook pork chops. I do the whole egg and breading thing (this time I put just a touch of honey in the egg, but it crusts up and falls off the chops when I cook them--or I end up with overcooked breading and undercooked meat in the middle.

hoosier
10-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Ok, I have this problem every time I cook pork chops. I do the whole egg and breading thing (this time I put just a touch of honey in the egg, but it crusts up and falls off the chops when I cook them--or I end up with overcooked breading and undercooked meat in the middle.

What do you do to them before you bread them? I would be bringing them close to room temp, drying them, add a dusting of flour and dip them in beaten eggs, and only then dip them in the bread crumbs or whatever. Then--very important--add them to a frying pan that is already hot (don't add oil till just before pork chops or it'll burn) so that they, or the breading, don't stick to the pan. Turn down the heat to mediumish and, if possible, only turn them once.

HowardRoark
10-22-2010, 07:37 PM

What do you do to them before you bread them? I would be bringing them close to room temp, drying them, add a dusting of flour and dip them in beaten eggs, and only then dip them in the bread crumbs or whatever. Then--very important--add them to a frying pan that is already hot (don't add oil till just before pork chops or it'll burn) so that they, or the breading, don't stick to the pan. Turn down the heat to mediumish and, if possible, only turn them once.

Just like making Wienerschnitzel:

Veal Wienerschnitzel

* 4 4 48-ounce veal scaloppini
* Salt and pepper
* Flour for dusting
* 2 eggs, plus 2 tablespoons water, beaten, for egg wash
* Panko, processed into fine crumbs, or fresh dried white breadcrumbs
* Peanut oil for frying

4. To prepare Wienerschnitzel: Season the veal scaloppini with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour. Dip in egg wash. Coat with panko or breadcrumbs. Score the coated scaloppini with four shallow knife cuts in a cross-hatch pattern to help prevent curling while cooking. Deep fry about 3 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

hoosier
10-22-2010, 08:00 PM

Just like making Wienerschnitzel:

Veal Wienerschnitzel

* 4 4 48-ounce veal scaloppini
* Salt and pepper
* Flour for dusting
* 2 eggs, plus 2 tablespoons water, beaten, for egg wash
* Peanut oil for frying

4. To prepare Wienerschnitzel: Season the veal scaloppini with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour. Dip in egg wash. Coat with panko or breadcrumbs. Score the coated scaloppini with four shallow knife cuts in a cross-hatch pattern to help prevent curling while cooking. Deep fry about 3 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

What are you, feeding the Austro-Hungarian army? :lol:

MJZiggy
10-22-2010, 08:17 PM

Maybe it's the flour I'm lacking. I rinse & dry, then salt, egg and Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs. Then the plan was to sprinkle with Parmesan and sea salt just before taking out of the pan, but didn't get that far...:(

Oddly enough, when it was done and I'd scraped the rest of the breading off, my sweetie said they were moist and tender and delicious.

Tarlam!
10-23-2010, 02:11 AM
Since we seems to have an abnormal amount of people with cheffing expertise, I thought I would start a thread were I and others, if they exist, can post for help on what the motherfuck went wrong with what I was cooking.

So to kick it off, I start with celery root puree, which was meant to provide a nice earthy bitter compliment to a couple steaks in the same manner blue cheese might.

I skinned and diced the root. simmered it for about 15 minutes in chicken broth and garlic with some salt until it was soft then we slapped it in the processor with a little butter and heavy cream.

It smelled great, but tasted like ass. The bitterness was still overwhelming on the back end. How can this be resolved next time?

Celery wasn't made to be mashed and certainly not boiled with garlic. Boiling garlic? Really really bad idea. If you insist on doing this, then at very least sweat the garlic before add it to broth, offset it a bayleaf and some thyme sprigs. You'll get away with it better.

Freaks idea with the spuds is excellent, especially to control any consistancy issues, but cook them in their jackets to retain some starch. That will help bitterness.

Oftentimes, homemade tomato soup or pasta sauce will be bitter and to combat that the answer is sugar.

I still do not like the idea and recommend an old Aussie favourite: Mushy Peas. Easy, delicous and very earthy.

Tarlam!
10-23-2010, 02:24 AM
* 2 eggs, plus 2 tablespoons water, beaten, for egg wash[/color]
* Peanut oil for frying

Score the coated scaloppini with four shallow knife cuts in a cross-hatch pattern to help prevent curling while cooking

Well, you might call it Wienerschnitzel, but you'd be wrong.

Milk is used, not water. I don't know what Panko is, neither do any Chefs in Vienna. I'm not sure what fresh dried breadcrumbs are.

You do not want to use anything but a neutral oil or a high-temp margerine, not the kind you might spread on your bread. And with the number of people who have peanut allergies these days, why peanut??? Don't forget, veal has a very delicate flavour, you need to compliment it and not overpower it.

A true Wienerschnitzel is too thin to score this way, because the scallopini has been flattened before breading. Remember, this was once peasant farmer food. They stretched the calorries and found a way to use 2 day old, hardened bread buns doing this.

Also, part of the beauty of the Schnitzel is that the breading, if done properly, form a cocoon around the veal. By scoring it, I don't see how that could form.

Now, I am highly qualified for this: I was born in Vienna, My mother was Viennese, My daughter and Son were born to a Viennese mother, I was married in Vienna, My Grandma, who is 90 year's old, lives in a Viennese nursing home, My daughter is returning from a week's vacation tonight, you guessed it, form Vienna AND my nephew, works as a chef in, Vienna.

God, that felt good.

Ziggy, the flour is imperative or the egg wash won't stick.

mraynrand
10-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Now, I am highly qualified for this: I was born in Vienna, My mother was Viennese, My daughter and Son were born to a Viennese mother, I was married in Vienna, My Grandma, who is 90 year's old, lives in a Viennese nursing home, My daughter is returning from a week's vacation tonight, you guessed it, form Vienna AND my nephew, works as a chef in, Vienna.

Your family is obviously qualified, Ms. Vito, but how does this qualify you as a mechanic?

Iron Mike
10-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Next time, sear the steaks......make a beef stock reduction with heavy cream and add bleu cheese. :P

pasquale
10-23-2010, 04:09 PM

Protein won't stick to protein so you need that flour to bind the meat and the egg, then bread. And then let them sit for AT LEAST 10 mins, don't even think about putting them in the oil right after you bread them.

Little Whiskey
10-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Made retailguys ribs again yesterday. nothing but pats on the back during dinnner. I kinda wished they would have wiped their hands off first.

think i might have to invest in a larger weber grill, or a rib rack. I'd like to make more than just 2 racks at a time.

Tarlam!
10-25-2010, 12:11 AM
don't even think about putting them in the oil right after you bread them.

Why would you say that? At chef school, we were taught to get 'em into the oil ASAP, so the breading doesn't suck up the moisture from the veal and dry the schnitzel.

channtheman
10-25-2010, 01:19 AM
You guys are best off shutting the fuck up about Tar's shit! :lol:

Joemailman
10-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Any tips on the best way to bake a frozen pizza?

channtheman
10-25-2010, 02:01 AM

I usually preheat the oven to about 425. The box says 400 but I like to live on the edge. Next comes the hard part. Using a knife (or other sharp edged utensil), carefully cut the plastic around the pizza. Many a nights have been ruined by my careless cutting (I've got the scars to prove it). Another tough one coming up is placing the pizza in the hot oven. Throw it, toss it, shove it, do whatever you have to to get that bitch in without burning your hand (I've got plenty of burn marks from previous fuck ups as well). Lastly, take that bitch out any way you can and enjoy.

Tarlam!
10-25-2010, 02:12 AM
You guys are best off shutting the fuck up about Tar's shit! :lol:

Nah, that was a serious question! I haven't actively cheffed in 21 years and things develop. I can still wow my kids with my skills - I made meatloaf last night to die for according to them and my deceased wife wanted me to market my bolognaise sauce, as do my kids, but I'm a hack these days.

Back in the day, now, well! I was one of the highest paid chefs in Sydney.

Tarlam!
10-25-2010, 04:58 AM
Crab Cakes - Help Wanted!

I love crab cakes, but they're just not sold here. They sell tinned crab meat at the most extortionist prices, but hey, once a year, why not?

Anyway, I googles recipes and they contain mayo. Sounds really wieird to me. Does anybody have a really tasty recipe for me?

hoosier
10-25-2010, 06:13 AM

I usually preheat the oven to about 425. The box says 400 but I like to live on the edge. Next comes the hard part. Using a knife (or other sharp edged utensil), carefully cut the plastic around the pizza. Many a nights have been ruined by my careless cutting (I've got the scars to prove it). Another tough one coming up is placing the pizza in the hot oven. Throw it, toss it, shove it, do whatever you have to to get that bitch in without burning your hand (I've got plenty of burn marks from previous fuck ups as well). Lastly, take that bitch out any way you can and enjoy.

You forgot the biggest question of them all, the mother of all frozen pizza controversies: do you put the frozen pizza directly on the rack or do you put it on a baking sheet. And if a baking sheet, do you add a layer of tin foil so you don't have to scrub and wash the cookie sheet afterwards?

hoosier
10-25-2010, 06:15 AM

I love crab cakes, but they're just not sold here. They sell tinned crab meat at the most extortionist prices, but hey, once a year, why not?

Anyway, I googles recipes and they contain mayo. Sounds really wieird to me. Does anybody have a really tasty recipe for me?

Yes, go to Baltimore and do it right. Anything else is either a waste of time or an invitation to intestinal decomposition.

Little Whiskey
10-25-2010, 12:33 PM

You forgot the biggest question of them all, the mother of all frozen pizza controversies: do you put the frozen pizza directly on the rack or do you put it on a baking sheet. And if a baking sheet, do you add a layer of tin foil so you don't have to scrub and wash the cookie sheet afterwards?

I would also add. give that bitch a chance to cool before consumption. there is no burn worse than one from pizza sauce!

Little Whiskey
10-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Maybe it's the flour I'm lacking. I rinse & dry, then salt, egg and Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs. Then the plan was to sprinkle with Parmesan and sea salt just before taking out of the pan, but didn't get that far...:(

Zig, my wife always uses flour, egg, then bread crumbs. the flour helps the egg to stick.

MJZiggy
10-25-2010, 06:39 PM

Here's how we do it (not recommended for gas ovens). Take pizza out of wrapper put it directly on the rack. Turn oven on. When the oven is done preheating, check the pizza. It should need one minute more.

Little Whiskey
10-26-2010, 07:52 AM
My vote is for a pizza stone or at the very least a pan. I hate when stuff falls off and burns to the bottom of the oven!

MichiganPackerFan
10-26-2010, 07:57 AM
ALWAYS make sure to remove the cardboard from the bottom of the frozen pizza. Cardboard is NOT good eats.

Deputy Nutz
10-26-2010, 04:14 PM

buy the canned crab, lump. or whatever don't use crab leg meat.

add lemon, salt pepper, salad dressing(mayo) enough so you can make balls or patties, don't over do it nobody likes the taste of cheap mayo in crab cake.

I like to mince carrot, some onion,

Fuck add whatever you think would taste good, or use this fucking internet thing, it works fucking wonders. All recipes are fucking stolen from someone else anyways.

Tarlam!
10-26-2010, 11:13 PM
use this fucking internet thing, it works fucking wonders. All recipes are fucking stolen from someone else anyways.

Yeah, but see, I can't really believe the Mayo part, which I have to now because I've met you and you said it's true. And, anybody that can throw a football like you can, I have to believe.

So, I used the internet "thing" and didn't believe it. You, I believe.

SkinBasket
10-27-2010, 08:55 AM
My vote is for a pizza stone or at the very least a pan. I hate when stuff falls off and burns to the bottom of the oven!

We've been using this same stone for over a decade and have never looked back.

3irty1
10-27-2010, 10:01 AM
* 2 eggs, plus 2 tablespoons water, beaten, for egg wash[/color]
* Peanut oil for frying

Score the coated scaloppini with four shallow knife cuts in a cross-hatch pattern to help prevent curling while cooking

Well, you might call it Wienerschnitzel, but you'd be wrong.

Milk is used, not water. I don't know what Panko is, neither do any Chefs in Vienna. I'm not sure what fresh dried breadcrumbs are.

You do not want to use anything but a neutral oil or a high-temp margerine, not the kind you might spread on your bread. And with the number of people who have peanut allergies these days, why peanut??? Don't forget, veal has a very delicate flavour, you need to compliment it and not overpower it.

A true Wienerschnitzel is too thin to score this way, because the scallopini has been flattened before breading. Remember, this was once peasant farmer food. They stretched the calorries and found a way to use 2 day old, hardened bread buns doing this.

Also, part of the beauty of the Schnitzel is that the breading, if done properly, form a cocoon around the veal. By scoring it, I don't see how that could form.

God, that felt good.

Ziggy, the flour is imperative or the egg wash won't stick.

Peanut oil is neutral and the highly processed peanut oil purchased in American supermarkets is non-allergenic. Peanut oil has a monster smoke point making it a great choice for frying meat as one can better finish the breading without overcooking the thin, easily overcooked scallopini.

Panko is a Japanese style breadcrumb that is popular in America. They are made from bread without crusts and are lighter, airier, and crisper than traditional breadcrumbs. They definitely make food look good but I don't reach for them often as they generally have no real advantage other than the visual. The light, crispiness, and general lack of flavor might actually make them perfect for wienerschnitzel. Howard is right on that they'd have to be ground up further though as stock panko is far too coarse for something that thin and everything would fall off in a pan.

You're nitpicking the 2 T of water he adds to his egg-wash? We know that milk is mostly water... do you honestly believe that subbing water for milk is grounds for saying his schnitzel isn't schnitzel? if he's the one making it he can call it whatever he wants. Even by apparently intolerant Vienna standards his wienerschnitzel described above does not vary so much from the traditional.

Tarlam you would hate the restaurant I worked in. Ordering Pumpkin pie gets you a cube of pumpkin jello skewered on a burning cinnamon stick and tempura fried served in a champagne flute with bourbon syrup. Now that's non-traditional.

Tarlam!
10-27-2010, 10:19 AM
31, it is common in Europe to call a crumbed veal escalope a Schnitzel Wiener style. To call anything a Wienerschitzel, the chef has to be pretty certain. It's like Port. It only comes from Portugal. It's the oldestb demarcation area in the world.

And believe me, no Austrian chef would put a Wienerschitzel in peanut oil and still claim it's a Wienerschnitzel.

3irty1
10-27-2010, 10:26 AM

I find that Celery root, like butternut squash, seems to respond well to being sauted first. Without really changing your recipe:

Next time, Saute 1 inch cubes of the celery root in the butter and then add garlic and onion if that's what you're going for. When the root is sort of soft and the onion/garlic gets fragrant add your chicken stock and boil until root is soft enough to puree. Use a stick blender if you've got one or puree the result in a bar blender. Season, I might grate a little nutmeg in there and then thin with as much cream as you wish to give you anything from mashed potato consistency to soup consistency.

3irty1
10-27-2010, 11:04 AM
31, it is common in Europe to call a crumbed veal escalope a Schnitzel Wiener style. To call anything a Wienerschitzel, the chef has to be pretty certain. It's like Port. It only comes from Portugal. It's the oldestb demarcation area in the world.

And believe me, no Austrian chef would put a Wienerschitzel in peanut oil and still claim it's a Wienerschnitzel.

It is common in America for sensibility to trump obscure mother-land doctrine in matters of food. If it looks like Wienerschitzel and tastes like Wienerschitzel then we call it Wienerschitzel. Its beyond impractical for a country uncrippled by tradition and loaded with influences of global cuisine to specify between Wienerschizel and Schnitzel Wiener style.

Wine and liquor is a different matter as there are laws in place to protect the integrity of an actual export. How much Wienerschitzel does Austria export? For a dish of such humble origins its certainly starting to sound snobby. Lets not pretend like its not deep fried meat. Every country has a variation, Wienerschitzel is the popular name in America no doubt due to immigrants, but we also call it chicken-fried steak here but that doesn't sound as fancy on an October menu.

Peanut oil is nearly flavorless and a popular choice for deep fryers all over the world--even Austria I'm sure. The oil doesn't make the dish, isn't lard supposed to be traditional anyways?

Tarlam!
10-27-2010, 12:40 PM

It is common in America for sensibility to trump obscure mother-land doctrine in matters of food. If it looks like Wienerschitzel and tastes like Wienerschitzel then we call it Wienerschitzel. Its beyond impractical for a country uncrippled by tradition and loaded with influences of global cuisine to specify between Wienerschizel and Schnitzel Wiener style.

Wine and liquor is a different matter as there are laws in place to protect the integrity of an actual export. How much Wienerschitzel does Austria export? For a dish of such humble origins its certainly starting to sound snobby. Lets not pretend like its not deep fried meat. Every country has a variation, Wienerschitzel is the popular name in America no doubt due to immigrants, but we also call it chicken-fried steak here but that doesn't sound as fancy on an October menu.

Peanut oil is nearly flavorless and a popular choice for deep fryers all over the world--even Austria I'm sure. The oil doesn't make the dish, isn't lard supposed to be traditional anyways?

Lard was the traditional way, like I said, it was a peasant farmer dish,difficult to control since pigs were in-bred etc and back in the day, they only had cast iron pans which really attack lard.

Peanut oil isn't used much outside of your country. No, it isn't used in Europe, so forget it. It's pungent and has no qualities that raps oil doesn't possess, it's not even an afterthought. How do I know? My very good friend, D.T. is the QA Director for Mcdonald's Europe, Africa and Middele East. His portfolio is potatos and fats. Talked to him a few minutes ago, and it aint even good enough for McD to use peanut oil in Europe.

Really 31, you can call chicken whatever Wienerschintzel if it pleases you. I know the difference and that is all that matters to me. I grew up on it. The only restaurants that can pull it off better than my Garandma and deceased MIL are in Vienna. My kids both agree, I can't do it. And I attempt it twice a month. So, believe what you will.

Tarlam!
10-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Lets not pretend like its not deep fried meat.

OMG, I just re-read your post and saw this!! You really have no idea! Schnitzel is ALWAYS shallow fried! In Austria, Chefs are hounded if they deep fry. It's an abomination!

3irty1
10-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Lard was the traditional way, like I said, it was a peasant farmer dish,difficult to control since pigs were in-bred etc and back in the day, they only had cast iron pans which really attack lard.

Peanut oil isn't used much outside of your country. No, it isn't used in Europe, so forget it. It's pungent and has no qualities that raps oil doesn't possess, it's not even an afterthought. How do I know? My very good friend, D.T. is the QA Director for Mcdonald's Europe, Africa and Middele East. His portfolio is potatos and fats. Talked to him a few minutes ago, and it aint even good enough for McD to use peanut oil in Europe.

Really 31, you can call chicken whatever Wienerschintzel if it pleases you. I know the difference and that is all that matters to me. I grew up on it. The only restaurants that can pull it off better than my Garandma and deceased MIL are in Vienna. My kids both agree, I can't do it. And I attempt it twice a month. So, believe what you will.

We're not talking about the cold-pressed peanut oil that is the olive oil of Chinese cuisine. The highly refined peanut oil available in American supermarkets is not pungent but rather a neutral oil and in all likelyhood the most appropriate one on the shelf for a home cook to deep fry. Raps oil breaks down slightly faster than peanut oil but most importantly is pretty rare in an American Supermarket in deep frying quantities.

I thought we were talking about gourmet food. Double arches uses the same industrial fry oil (soybean oil with anti caking agents) as most restaurants of the caliber. When you fry high volume the oil needs to be replaced more often and thus the cheapest oil wins. In the past they used beef tallow. In haute cuisine I've seen fryers filled with everything from clarified duck fat to .4 degree olive oil. When price is no issue, peanut oil is a logical choice and allows for frying temps of well over 400 degrees.

You know as I do that in a normal commercial cooking environment if one is going to prepare Wienerschintzel it will be done with whatever multipurpose oil is in the fryer. Peanut oil is such a multipurpose oil and is a reasonable substitute (I'd even argue improvement) for the most common palm or soybean oil.

The points you are arguing (2T of milk, which neutral frying oil to use, etc) are not the defining characteristics of the dish. Bold statement that the only good deep-fried meat in the world comes from Vienna. Have you tried them all? Either way the rest of the world is home to some pretty brilliant cooks and believe it or not, some of them have mastered the art of deep frying veal, much of which is indistinguishable from what you call Wienerschnitzel. Maybe you should try chicken-fried steak. You just might like it better than your Grandma's version of deep fried meat.

3irty1
10-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Lets not pretend like its not deep fried meat.

OMG, I just re-read your post and saw this!! You really have no idea! Schnitzel is ALWAYS shallow fried! In Austria, Chefs are hounded if they deep fry. It's an abomination!

You think that's bad? At home I make the stuff in a wok. I'd probably be gassed in an impractical cooking-nazi society that treats deep-fried meat like its a religion and undervalues actual results. Luckily I live in 'merica.

Tarlam!
10-27-2010, 02:12 PM
31, you call it what you want. I'm cool with it. You'll notice as this thread develops and we discuss other bdishes maybe a couple of things:

1) As a trained Chef, I will always be extremely conservative with titling dishes with history.

2) I don't live in 'merica and will always give a world view.

Obviously, you're trained and I appreciate your views. But, they are views. My comments are fact based, not opinions. Call me arrogrent ladi dah whatever. Wienerschnitzel is an institution. It is celebrated. It certainly isn't deep fried in peanut oil. Ever. And, I can't do a Wienerschintzel, but I can do a decent Schnitzel Wiener Art.

'merica is a few centuries old, it's like a little kid in the world of nations. Europeans have been here a heck of a long time, Asians longer and Africans even longer. Kids don't offend adults, so, you call your Wienerschnitzel with chickenmeat and peanut oil whatever you want. And, yes, I am being condascending, which is extremely unusual for me.

Tarlam!
10-27-2010, 02:19 PM
I'd probably be gassed in an impractical cooking-nazi society that treats deep-fried meat like its a religion and undervalues actual results. Luckily I live in 'merica.

About 20 years ago, my sister and I visited Dachau. It was a Concentration Camp close to Munich. On the way there, we recited every Jewish joke we'd ever heard.

Once we visited the facility, we were ashamed.

Accusing me or any German citizen of harbouring Nazi ideals is a pretty low blow and I would thank you to remember that. In Germany, I could sue you for that remark. And, I would win.

I think you owe me an apology.

swede
10-27-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm looking for weiner schnitzel recipes online and I can't find any that use weiners.

What's up with that?

Zool
10-27-2010, 02:38 PM
I see this heading to the GC soon.

HowardRoark
10-27-2010, 02:42 PM
I'd probably be gassed in an impractical cooking-nazi society that treats deep-fried meat like its a religion and undervalues actual results. Luckily I live in 'merica.

About 20 years ago, my sister and I visited Dachau. It was a Concentration Camp close to Munich. On the way there, we recited every Jewish joke we'd ever heard.

Accusing me or any German citizen of harbouring Nazi ideals is a pretty low blow and I would thank you to remember that. In Germany, I could sue you for that remark. And, I would win.

Geez, and all I was trying to do was give an example to Ziggy on egg wash, etc. A few years ago, I spent some time in Austria skiing, and would try the wienerschnitzel as often as I could. I couldn’t get enough of the stuff, but also realized that it must be very simple to make. I think you are right Tarlam, there is something that they do over there that makes this very simple food very good. In fact, if you don’t mind, post how you (or your family) would make it, I would appreciate it very much.

Also concerning Europe being around for awhile….in the Brett Favre thread, when I said “Only if you bring Pink roasted medallions of venison served with pasta and chanterelle Mushroom millefeuille with a thyme sauce and some gooey Valrohna chocolate tart infused with two kinds of Mocha for dessert,” that was lifted from the menu at St. Peter’s in Salzburg…..the place claims to be the oldest restaurant in Europe; over five times older than the USA.

It was good btw.

3irty1
10-27-2010, 03:23 PM
31, you call it what you want. I'm cool with it. You'll notice as this thread develops and we discuss other bdishes maybe a couple of things:

1) As a trained Chef, I will always be extremely conservative with titling dishes with history.

2) I don't live in 'merica and will always give a world view.

Obviously, you're trained and I appreciate your views. But, they are views. My comments are fact based, not opinions. Call me arrogrent ladi dah whatever. Wienerschnitzel is an institution. It is celebrated. It certainly isn't deep fried in peanut oil. Ever. And, I can't do a Wienerschintzel, but I can do a decent Schnitzel Wiener Art.

'merica is a few centuries old, it's like a little kid in the world of nations. Europeans have been here a heck of a long time, Asians longer and Africans even longer. Kids don't offend adults, so, you call your Wienerschnitzel with chickenmeat and peanut oil whatever you want. And, yes, I am being condascending, which is extremely unusual for me.

1) This is fair. I have worked for foreign chefs exactly like you. My experience and preference is bleeding edge haute cuisine. If this thread continues (and I hope it will) you'll notice that while I have reverence for ingredients and good technique, I believe there is always room for creativity and change. I'd expect any cook who is worth their toque to understand as without it, they could be replaced by a monkey and a cookbook. Given the nature of my experience and my background as an engineer, my "views" will be based on logic and science. I'll be more concerned with the way things look and taste and less concerned with what to call them. I'm a better cook than that.

2) Or in this case an Austrian view.

'merica's youth is the best part about it. Ferran Adria's thoughts about the American food scene pretty much sum up my feelings on the matter:

"Without any doubt, America is going to be one of the places where one of the most important creative centers will develop. The lack of a strong tradition and no fear to change will contribute to that development. " - Ferran Adria, elBulli

I love cooking and food and won't be using this thread to tell people that their dish is wrong or that they can't do things a certain way. Instead I'll share my own successes and attempt to provide insight on their failures. I hope this doesn't become another iphone thread with you and me being Partial and Ty.

3irty1
10-27-2010, 03:31 PM

Whoa, didn't think we'd be getting racial here. Thought my comment was a far cry from accusing someone of harboring Nazi ideals but am very sorry none the less.

Little Whiskey
10-27-2010, 04:29 PM
I pisses me off when we head up to the U.P. for deer camp and the noob orders an imitaion pasties! dont you dare call them old time hot pockets either!

Tarlam!
10-27-2010, 09:31 PM
I love cooking and food and won't be using this thread to tell people that their dish is wrong or that they can't do things a certain way. Instead I'll share my own successes and attempt to provide insight on their failures. I hope this doesn't become another iphone thread with you and me being Partial and Ty.

That's your perogative, just as I am entitled to set things straight. I value creativity and celebrate progress in the kitchen. It sounds like you do, too. But, I also have strong feelings about tarditional dishes, regrdless of whence they originated.

I'm not as dumb as Partial or as smart as Ty, so, I can't see us ruining this thread.

Little Whiskey
10-27-2010, 09:56 PM
[I value creativity and celebrate progress in the kitchen.

like stadium brats? :lol:

Tarlam!
10-28-2010, 12:55 AM
[I value creativity and celebrate progress in the kitchen.

like stadium brats? :lol:

Yeah, we've had my opinion on Brats, right? I stand by it, BTW.

Iron Mike
10-28-2010, 06:57 AM
I pisses me off when we head up to the U.P. for deer camp and the noob orders an imitaion pasties! dont you dare call them old time hot pockets either!

Bwahahahaaa!!! If I drive to the U.P., it's to get some cudighi!!!

http://rlv.zcache.com/cudighi_yooper_soul_food_tshirt-p2356690625279033783ohh_210.jpg

MichiganPackerFan
10-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks Tar & 31 - While i may never understand all of that, it's fascinating to me - keep it up!!!!

Deputy Nutz
10-28-2010, 10:18 AM

We should really become closer friends.

Tarlam!
10-28-2010, 10:58 AM
In fact, if you don’t mind, post how you (or your family) would make it, I would appreciate it very much.

St. Peter’s in Salzburg…..the place claims to be the oldest restaurant in Europe; over five times older than the USA.

I've been to Salzburg a few times. Next time any Rats are there, you must visit the Red Bull hanger. Red Bull is HQed in Salzburg.

The hardest part about doing a true Wiener Schnitzel, IMHO, is finding veal. I know that sounds easy, but there are huge differences in quality. In Germany for example, it is next to imossible to get true veal. They sell young bull meat and call it veal, while in France, I believe they still are allowed to pen a calf up and milk feed. This stops the animal from ever walking, which means the muscles never develop. I don't know if that's still accepted, but I don't eat veal when in France.

Holland has exceptional veal, but, IMHO, Austria and Switzerland are the true veal capitals of the world, although I admit I haven't had the opportunity to check out veal in the USA.

Once you have the right veal, then you need to have the right thickness and here is where the butchers in Vienna just have a leg up. My preference is about 1/2 cm. 1" = 2.54 cm so I'm sure you can figure it out.

Then, using a meat mallot, the escalope (protected by two layers of cling wrap) is then flattened as thinly as possible without it "breaking", meaning don't make holes, it shouldn't sainted (get it? holy?). Now, to correctly mallet meat, a certain "pull" technique should be used, you're trying to make the thing thinner and enlargen the area. You should mallet both sides.

In large kitchens chefs will often put seasoning in the flour (salt and pepper, because if they make schnitzel á la minute, they save a few seconds. At home, I just salt and pepper both sides and the flour.

It's really a good idea to shake off any excess flour, otherwise, the breading is, well, too flourey!

Then your eggwash with a bit of milk or cream, definitely not water or broth! Now, pass the schitzel through your thumb and your forefinger to ensure an even layer and no excess.

then, into the stink normal dried breadcrumbs. When my kids were little, I would re-eggwash and recrumb, because we were on a budget and the portions were, well, smaller! Breadcrumbs are cheaper than veal! My wife, who really grew up on this stuff, told me my schnitzel was better than her mother's! My kids disagree!

To fry n.b SHALLOW FRY as in a frying pan, I like to use a high temp margerine. In this country, it's called Sannella, made by my ex employer, Unilever. I don't like shallow frying in anything but olive oil or Sanella and olive oil it too pungent for schnitzel.

You want a medium high temp and throw a few crumbs in to keep a check on the temp. Once the crumbs fy, it's time for the schnitzel to go in. Now, I always take my veal out of the fidge about 90 minutes before preparing to get it to room temp. Cold meat will suck the temp right out of hot oil relly quickly, unless you have commercial cookery type energy. If you're going fidge to pan, you'll need to accomodate for that.

Only turn the schitzel once. Same as a great steak on a grill. Different than a great steak in a pan.

The culinary garnish is a slice of lemon, topped by a slice of boiled egg, topped by crossed anchovies and, fried parsley somewhere eye appealing. I do it that way in restaurants, but frankly, I've never seen it done in vienna. Slice or wedge of lemon.

Like you pointed out, it's a really simple dish, but the real deal is only to be had in Austria.

3irty1
10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Its getting hard in this country to get good veal as veal crates are slowly getting banned and are expected to be all but gone by next year. The best luck I've seen is through a supplier in Michigan who now uses group housing (although still very crowded) and formula feeding.

The last Chef I worked for did away with veal all together but once ran "Carne Milanesa" on the menu which was what Tarlam! described above but with beef tenderloin, cream in the egg wash, grapeseed oil, and a fried egg instead of boiled. Everything else including the garnish was exact.

My advice to the home cook is to leave veal to the restaurants unless you have some kind of hookup.

Tarlam!
10-28-2010, 04:40 PM
My advice to the home cook is to leave veal to the restaurants unless you have some kind of hookup.

Wow, really interesting post, 31. In Germany, they sell cuts of pork for schnitzel. Obviously, it's not Wiener Schnitzel, but even resaurants use pork and call it Wiener Style.

Very interesting.

Iron Mike
10-28-2010, 06:40 PM

Wow, really interesting post, 31. In Germany, they sell cuts of pork for schnitzel. Obviously, it's not Wiener Schnitzel, but even restaurants use pork and call it Wiener Style.

Very interesting.

You two get busy making the Rahmschnitzel, now....

http://blog.rapskernoel.info/wp-content/uploads/Rahmschnitzel.jpg

Little Whiskey
10-28-2010, 08:18 PM

We should really become closer friends.

because you like the UP? Pasties? or Deer Camp? or all of the above! :lol:

Little Whiskey
10-28-2010, 08:29 PM

Bwahahahaaa!!! If I drive to the U.P., it's to get some cudighi!!!

http://rlv.zcache.com/cudighi_yooper_soul_food_tshirt-p2356690625279033783ohh_210.jpg

thats upper UP. deer camp is lower UP. no cudighi only pasties

HowardRoark
10-28-2010, 10:04 PM
In fact, if you don’t mind, post how you (or your family) would make it, I would appreciate it very much.

St. Peter’s in Salzburg…..the place claims to be the oldest restaurant in Europe; over five times older than the USA.

I've been to Salzburg a few times. Next time any Rats are there, you must visit the Red Bull hanger. Red Bull is HQed in Salzburg.

The hardest part about doing a true Wiener Schnitzel, IMHO, is finding veal. I know that sounds easy, but there are huge differences in quality. In Germany for example, it is next to imossible to get true veal. They sell young bull meat and call it veal, while in France, I believe they still are allowed to pen a calf up and milk feed. This stops the animal from ever walking, which means the muscles never develop. I don't know if that's still accepted, but I don't eat veal when in France.

Holland has exceptional veal, but, IMHO, Austria and Switzerland are the true veal capitals of the world, although I admit I haven't had the opportunity to check out veal in the USA.

Once you have the right veal, then you need to have the right thickness and here is where the butchers in Vienna just have a leg up. My preference is about 1/2 cm. 1" = 2.54 cm so I'm sure you can figure it out.

Then, using a meat mallot, the escalope (protected by two layers of cling wrap) is then flattened as thinly as possible without it "breaking", meaning don't make holes, it shouldn't sainted (get it? holy?). Now, to correctly mallet meat, a certain "pull" technique should be used, you're trying to make the thing thinner and enlargen the area. You should mallet both sides.

In large kitchens chefs will often put seasoning in the flour (salt and pepper, because if they make schnitzel á la minute, they save a few seconds. At home, I just salt and pepper both sides and the flour.

It's really a good idea to shake off any excess flour, otherwise, the breading is, well, too flourey!

Then your eggwash with a bit of milk or cream, definitely not water or broth! Now, pass the schitzel through your thumb and your forefinger to ensure an even layer and no excess.

then, into the stink normal dried breadcrumbs. When my kids were little, I would re-eggwash and recrumb, because we were on a budget and the portions were, well, smaller! Breadcrumbs are cheaper than veal! My wife, who really grew up on this stuff, told me my schnitzel was better than her mother's! My kids disagree!

To fry n.b SHALLOW FRY as in a frying pan, I like to use a high temp margerine. In this country, it's called Sannella, made by my ex employer, Unilever. I don't like shallow frying in anything but olive oil or Sanella and olive oil it too pungent for schnitzel.

You want a medium high temp and throw a few crumbs in to keep a check on the temp. Once the crumbs fy, it's time for the schnitzel to go in. Now, I always take my veal out of the fidge about 90 minutes before preparing to get it to room temp. Cold meat will suck the temp right out of hot oil relly quickly, unless you have commercial cookery type energy. If you're going fidge to pan, you'll need to accomodate for that.

Only turn the schitzel once. Same as a great steak on a grill. Different than a great steak in a pan.

The culinary garnish is a slice of lemon, topped by a slice of boiled egg, topped by crossed anchovies and, fried parsley somewhere eye appealing. I do it that way in restaurants, but frankly, I've never seen it done in vienna. Slice or wedge of lemon.

Like you pointed out, it's a really simple dish, but the real deal is only to be had in Austria.

Danke.

Alright, now give me a good Gulaschsuppe.

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Danke.

Alright, now give me a good Gulaschsuppe.

If you have a pressure cooker, this is an ideal device for Gulaschsuppe.

In another pot bring about 1.5 - 2 litres of beef stock to a boil. Keep it at a simmer. Skim the scum.

Equal weight quantities, say 200gr onions finely chopped and gulasch (stewing) beef finely cubed, say about 1cm dices. Depends on your beef quailty; if you go to a good butcher, the schrinkage will be only about 10%, but if you buy in a supermarket, shrinkage can be up to 25%. You want your dice to be edible fromn a soup spoon. Remember that, too, when you weigh in the beef against the onions.

3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped.

Sweat the onions and garlic in olive oil until glassy, season the beef with salt and black pepper and add to pot. Sear the beef on all sides.

Add 2 heaped tbs of paprika powder. I use hot paprika, if that's not availabe you can add cayenne pepper to taste. I enjoy it a bit spicey. Add preferably freshly chopped marjoram or oregano, I also like to use a sprig or two of fresh thyme, stripping the leaves from the stems. Obviously dry herbs are OK. Turn the heat down to medium and let the paprika unfold for a few minutes, but continue to stir.

Traditionally, Austrian and German chefs will also add a tsp of coriander seeds, but I hate taste. It's up to the chef.

Now comes the tricky bit: Add three tbs of concentrated tomato paste. Use the best quality you can find because this is make or break. The tricky bit is to get the tomato paste to caramelize, you want it to turn brown, but you don't want it to burn. A good Gulaschsuppe isn't red, it's brown.

I add a tbs of of plain white flour now. IMO, this helps the binding process, but TBH, it's not traditional. But your making about 3 pints of soup and it's easier if you decide to freeze some. It's my security blankett.

Add about 1/5th of the stock and stir until a nice saucie texture results and all lumps have disappeard. Remember, too much stock and you will get lumps!

Then continue this adding stock in small qauntities until you have about 500ml left. You'll need that to adjust the final consistancy.

Bring to a boil, skim the scum and simmer on a slow flame (low temp) for about an hour, or until the beef is almost tender. It's much quicker in a pressure cooker.

Another thing that I add which is a variation are a couple of bay leaves. Just a habit I have.

When the the beef is almost tender, add about 250gr of peeled, finely cubed potatoes. You want firm flesh. Also add a red capsicum, finely chopped. Remember to slice away the white inner skin of the capsicum, otherwise you get a bitter taste.

Its possible that you will get an oily film rise. Either skim it off, or use strips of baking paper to remove. You literally just pull a a strip across the surface of the soup and the oil sticks to the paper.

When the spuds are done, so should be the beef. Correct your seasoning and consistancy and serve!

I know is clichee, but I like chopped chives as a garnish. Use a pair of scissors when cutting chives.

Another variation that I love, but isn't traditional is using leeks instead of a 3rd of the onions. I also seen chefs add chopped carrots to the recipe. Adds some colour and a nice flavour. You would add them with the beef.

3irty1
10-29-2010, 07:51 AM
The paprika Tarlam! is talking about and the red flavorless powder you'd no doubt find in the supermarket are two totally different things. For whatever reason that stuff marketed as Hungarian sweet paprika is nearly the only thing available at all. Before attempting a soup like this, I'd strongly recommend mail ordering the real stuff, its not expensive.

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks for that, 31, under no circumstances would I use sweet paprika! I'm sure chefs do, but IMHO, a Gulaschsuppe should be spices.

Little Whiskey
10-29-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm thinking about making Grilled Cheese for lunch. any suggestion?

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 09:35 AM

This sounds scrummie, though I'd probably add a slice of ham:

Ingredients

1 1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
2 slices whole wheat bread, or your favorite bread
2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
2 slices Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon chopped red onion
1/4 tomato, thinly sliced
Directions

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Butter one side of each slice of bread. On the non buttered side of one slice, layer the feta cheese, Cheddar cheese, red onion and tomato. Top with the other slice of bread with the butter side out.
Fry the sandwich until golden brown on each side, about 2 minutes per side. The second side always cooks faster.

ThunderDan
10-29-2010, 09:51 AM

Ingredients

2 slices Cheddar cheese
Directions

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Butter one side of each slice of bread. On the non buttered side of one slice, layer the feta cheese, Cheddar cheese, red onion and tomato. Top with the other slice of bread with the butter side out.
Fry the sandwich until golden brown on each side, about 2 minutes per side. The second side always cooks faster.

That is so wrong.

2 slices wonderbread
1 slice processed cheese
1 teaspoon butter

Put butter on bread, unwrap cheese slice and fry the sandwich.

SkinBasket
10-29-2010, 10:03 AM

Ingredients

2 slices Cheddar cheese
Directions

That is so wrong.

Sorry Tar, but he's right. But only because you didn't slop some mayo in there.

Also, if you make ghetto grilled cheese like dan, make sure you serve it with tomato soup - or even better, the syrup canned peaches are packed in, to dip the sandwich in. Just like momma used to make before leaving us to go to the bar!

A little orange or purple drink if you live in or near a food desert, where such delicacies are available, and you are set!

Patler
10-29-2010, 10:12 AM
The hardest part about doing a true Wiener Schnitzel, IMHO, is finding veal.

Tar;

In the late 1980s and early 1990s I spent a lot of time in Vienna on business. I enjoyed those trips immensely, and have never had wiener schnitzel elsewhere that was even close to what I enjoyed in Vienna.

My question is this; several restaurants I went to often had long "schnitzel" menus, that included pork ("Schweine-schnitzel"), chicken ("Puten-schnitzel") and I believe also beef ("??-schnitzel"). Then there were variations of each, with sauces as I recall, so that the schnitzel menu included 8-10 different dishes. How traditional are these, at least in their basic sauce-less forms? Or is the true Austrian dish always Wiener-schnitzel? Were these schnitzel variations simply attempts at more global appeal?

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 10:13 AM
No need to apologize, I found that recipe on the net. I liked it, because it's similar to how I make them.

I tend to use Appenzellar or left over Raclette instead of Cheddar and Feta. Very strong flavoured cheeses.

But I do use tomato and onion slices and I aslo like tu use sliced champignons.

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Tar;

In the late 1980s and early 1990s I spent a lot of time in Vienna on business. I enjoyed those trips immensely, and have never had wiener schnitzel elsewhere that was even close to what I enjoyed in Vienna.

My question is this; several restaurants I went to often had long "schnitzel" menus, that included pork ("Schweine-schnitzel"), chicken ("Puten-schnitzel") and I believe also beef ("??-schnitzel"). Then there were variations of each, with sauces as I recall, so that the schnitzel menu included 8-10 different dishes. How traditional are these, at least in their basic sauce-less forms? Or is the true Austrian dish always Wiener schnitzel? Were these scnitzel variations simply attempts at more global appeal?

The variations are all a part of the creativity and legitimate and most of these schitzel will be based on pork. Veal is very delicate, so when you slap it full of overpoering sauce, it's really a waste to use veal.

You might have also seen Schnitzel Natur, which is a schnitzel cut, but not breaded. A good example is the Rahmschnitzel posted earlier.

There's also something here in Germany called Milanese, which includes grated parmasen cheese in the breading and is topped with bolognaise sauce. It's usual to find that dish in Italian restaurants.

But there is only one Wiener Schitzel, It's a given that if that is on the menu, it MUST be veal.

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Have any of you tried Zurich Veal? Absolutely to die for!!

Patler
10-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Tar;

My question is this; several restaurants I went to often had long "schnitzel" menus, that included pork ("Schweine-schnitzel"), chicken ("Puten-schnitzel") and I believe also beef ("??-schnitzel"). Then there were variations of each, with sauces as I recall, so that the schnitzel menu included 8-10 different dishes. How traditional are these, at least in their basic sauce-less forms? Or is the true Austrian dish always Wiener schnitzel? Were these scnitzel variations simply attempts at more global appeal?

The variations are all a part of the creativity and legitimate and most of these schitzel will be based on pork. Veal is very delicate, so when you slap it full of overpoering sauce, it's really a waste to use veal.

You might have also seen Schnitzel Natur, which is a schnitzel cut, but not breaded. A good example is the Rahmschnitzel posted earlier.

There's also something here in Germany called Milanese, which includes grated parmasen cheese in the breading and is topped with bolognaise sauce. It's usual to find that dish in Italian restaurants.

But there is only one Wiener Schitzel, It's a given that if that is on the menu, it MUST be veal.

I liked the Wiener-schnitzel and Schweine-schnitzel a lot, the Puten-schnitzel not so much. After my first go around, I stuck with the veal and pork in their basic forms. without embellishments like sauces. I did have the nonbreaded forms, and had forgotten about them until you brought it up.

Patler
10-29-2010, 10:37 AM

I've never heard of it, not even in Zurich where I also spend quite a bit of time! What is it?

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 10:56 AM

I've never heard of it, not even in Zurich where I also spend quite a bit of time! What is it?

Here ya go:

Zurich Veal Recipe

Like Salt and Pepper - Rosti and Zurich Veal are a matched pair. In Swiss restaurants you will rarely, if ever, get one without the other. The traditional recipe also includes cubed veal kidneys.
20 grams / 1 oz white plain flour
20 grams / 1 oz butter
600 grams / 1¼ lb of veal steaks or schnitzel
250 grams / 8oz of button mushrooms (Champignons)
1 onion
200 mls / 7 floz. white wine
200 mls / 7 floz. cream
salt and pepper to taste
lemon juice
chives
Firstly slice the veal steak into fine strips, discarding any fat or sinew. Finely chop the onion, and slice the button mushrooms. Knead the butter and flour together into a small ball (beurre manié). Slice the chives into small rings. In a very hot skillet or pan, brown the meat quickly, add the mushrooms and onions. Continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Pour all the white wine into the pan and leave it to deglaze the pan for a moment. Then slowly add the cream and the butter ball. Let the ball dissolve in the sauce and stir well. Take the pan off the heat, season to taste with salt and pepper and add a dash of lemon juice. Garnish with the sliced chives and serve immediately. Don't reheat or the sauce will separate.

(Serves 4)

http://www.cuisinedumonde.com/zurich_veal.html

Now, there are two things this recipe misses:

1.Season the veal and dust with flour.

2. Remove the veal from the pan as soon as it's cooked. Leaving it in the pan will toughen the meat, which, BTW is true for any meat that is not stewed.

Do you need a recipe for Rosti??

Patler
10-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Basically, fried grated potatoes, no? One of the many variations we have in the US for "hash browns". I had good friends from Switzerland who ran a Swiss restaurant here in the US for a while. Their rosti was pretty simple. Or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 11:22 AM

Basically, fried grated potatoes, no? One of the many variations we have in the US for "hash browns". I had good friends from Switzerland who ran a Swiss restaurant here in the US for a while. Their rosti was pretty simple.

Yeah but the consistancy is more like a pancake than hash browns. I find it quite difficult to pull off, actually.

mraynrand
10-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Ingredients

2 slices Cheddar cheese
Directions

That is so wrong.

2 slices wonderbread
1 slice processed cheese
1 teaspoon butter

TD that's the way to go. Keep it basic: the kiddies puke up the fancy crap anyway. Surf and Turf at my house is chicken and tuna casserole made with a can of Campbells Mushroom soup. It's about as low and basic as a midwest gun and religion clinger can get.

Patler
10-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Basically, fried grated potatoes, no? One of the many variations we have in the US for "hash browns". I had good friends from Switzerland who ran a Swiss restaurant here in the US for a while. Their rosti was pretty simple.

Yeah but the consistancy is more like a pancake than hash browns. I find it quite difficult to pull off, actually.

Do you cook the potatoes before frying, or use raw? Shredded or riced?

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Do you cook the potatoes before frying, or use raw? Shredded or riced?

Bioled in their jackets to keep in the starch and grated. Other than salt and pepper, it's only the starch that holds them together!

channtheman
10-29-2010, 09:33 PM

Ingredients

2 slices Cheddar cheese
Directions

That is so wrong.

2 slices wonderbread
1 slice processed cheese
1 teaspoon butter

I thought the world was coming to an end before I read your post. Thank you for not overcomplicating a grilled cheese..

Tarlam!
10-30-2010, 02:47 AM
I thought the world was coming to an end before I read your post. Thank you for not overcomplicating a grilled cheese..

Oh come on, he asked for ideas! I gave him one. Nobody asked for good ideas, right?

Little Whiskey
10-30-2010, 07:51 AM

Oh come on, he asked for ideas! I gave him one. Nobody asked for good ideas, right?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks Tarlam

channtheman
10-30-2010, 11:34 AM

I'm just kidding! All that extra stuff on a grilled cheese sounds good but it changes it to something else. Melted cheese sandwich? I don't know, but in my mind, a grilled cheese is simply bread and cheddar cheese.

Iron Mike
10-30-2010, 04:09 PM

I'm just kidding! All that extra stuff on a grilled cheese sounds good but it changes it to something else. Melted cheese sandwich? I don't know, but in my mind, a grilled cheese is simply bread and cheddar cheese.

Kind of like...when does a ham and turkey melt become a Monte Cristo??

Little Whiskey
10-30-2010, 06:09 PM

Kind of like...when does a ham and turkey melt become a Monte Cristo??

when its on on french toast

Tarlam!
10-31-2010, 02:12 AM

And 31 beats me up for standing up for Wiener Schnitzel!!

I kew you just messin' around, BTW. So am I!

Tarlam!
10-31-2010, 02:15 AM

I don't know why, but franch toast in Germany is called "Armer Ritter", which translated means "Poor Knight".

Little Whiskey
10-31-2010, 05:23 AM

I don't know why, but franch toast in Germany is called "Armer Ritter", which translated means "Poor Knight".

Kinda like weiner schnitzel is called chicken fried steak in the US? :lol:

MJZiggy
10-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Just cooked dinner. Heated some EVOO, cooked some onion, then dredged the fish in flour with salt and pepper, some red pepper and mushroom. Yum! Thanks for the flour tip guys.

Tarlam!
11-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Just cooked dinner. Heated some EVOO, cooked some onion, then dredged the fish in flour with salt and pepper, some red pepper and mushroom. Yum! Thanks for the flour tip guys.

Yeah, but did it get you laid like the end of the universe was about to happen? If not, you should have dusted of the excess flour!

MJZiggy
11-01-2010, 05:49 AM

Yeah, but did it get you laid like the end of the universe was about to happen? If not, you should have dusted of the excess flour!

There was a Packer victory. That part was a done deal. He did say how delicious it was several times.

Tarlam!
11-01-2010, 10:14 AM
He did say how delicious it was several times.

Sure, but how did he like the fish?

mraynrand
11-01-2010, 11:02 AM

There was a Packer victory. That part was a done deal. He did say how delicious it was several times.

Dude is a stud

MichiganPackerFan
11-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Pictures of more of the dishes would be great!!!!

channtheman
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Back to the frozen pizza. If done right should look like this. Mmmmm, been a long time since I've cooked one of these, may have to go to the store and get one tonight.

http://www.pizza-slut.com/reviews/frozen/1.jpg

EDIT: Anyone know how to resize an image? :?:

channtheman
11-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Chicken fried stea- er Wienerschintzel bitch.

http://realtexasblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/chicken-fried-steak.jpg

HowardRoark
11-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Ask Bert, apparently he is feverishly trying to figure it out too.

channtheman
11-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Grilled Cheese, how it's meant to be made.

http://images.free-extras.com/pics/g/grilled_cheese-878.jpg

MJZiggy
11-01-2010, 06:25 PM

Ask Bert, apparently he is feverishly trying to figure it out too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mraynrand
11-01-2010, 08:01 PM

ask and ye shall receive seek (google) and ye shall find:

http://snewzbutton.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/dirtydishes.jpg

Iron Mike
11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
A little Food pr0n (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GFRixTtEcE) for the foodies.....

SkinBasket
11-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Anyone see that Man vs Food with the fried chicken sandwich with the mac and cheese rolled inside it? I hope God saw that episode because that's all I'm eating in heaven.

Tarlam!
11-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I hope God saw that episode because that's all I'm eating in heaven.

You never fail to crack me up, I almost had a heart attack laughing so hard at this!

SkinBasket
11-02-2010, 04:27 PM

You never fail to crack me up, I almost had a heart attack laughing so hard at this!

Do not die.

Anyway, back on topic: Soup. What's up with that?

MJZiggy
11-02-2010, 06:39 PM

Do not die.

Anyway, back on topic: Soup. What's up with that?

I dunno but I'm craving a little chicken corn chowder...Hungry.

Tarlam!
11-02-2010, 09:06 PM
What's up with soup? You guys mayebe know I'm a Sauceier! An expert in all things wet. I do mean, all things!

Cheesehead Craig
11-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Anyone see that Man vs Food with the fried chicken sandwich with the mac and cheese rolled inside it? I hope God saw that episode because that's all I'm eating in heaven.
That was awesome!

swede
11-04-2010, 12:16 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/106660768.html

What a nice story of foodies, entrepreneurship, innovation, small town values and the American way. Doyle needed 800 million of other people's money to create jobs by building a useless choo-choo. These folks just got busy with an idea and a dream and a bunch of pumpkin seeds.

3irty1
11-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Tarlam! will know all about Pumpkin seed oil. Every time I've ever used it the label said it came from his neck of the woods.

I remember using it to finish various deserts.

Scott Campbell
11-04-2010, 02:41 PM
What's up with soup? You guys mayebe know I'm a Sauceier! An expert in all things wet. I do mean, all things!

Can you make a decent gumbo? And by that I mean the kind that anybody with "eaux" at the end of their names won't laugh at.

3irty1
11-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Can you make a decent gumbo? And by that I mean the kind that anybody with "eaux" at the end of their names won't laugh at.

There are a lot of gumbo varieties and the trick to making good ones is to "not cross the streams."
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/cross-the-streams.jpg

What I mean by that is don't mix seasons. Cajun gumbo is thickened with Okra and dark roux in the summer and generally sea-food heavy but thickened with file powder and dark roux in the winter and could be sausage, and/or fowl heavy. Too often do I see a gumbo thickened with file and ruined with slimy okra as an afterthought for "authenticity." Gross.

A Gumbo recipe like this would be appropriate at this time of year.

ingredients:
2 beers
4 oz Vegetable Oil
4 oz AP flour
1 small onion, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb raw shrimp, tails removed
2 qt shrimp stock (or chicken stock I suppose)
S+P
1/2 t dried thyme
1/4 t cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
1/2 lb andouille sausage
1 T file powder
Rice and Chopped green onions for serving

Technique:
In a dutch oven combine flour and oil. Stir/whisk slowly but constantly over medium heat. Drink both beers. When they are gone your roux should be the color of chocolate and its time to move on. If you get bored you can pop the whole thing in the oven at 350 for an hour or so as long as you remember to check on it and mix it up once in a while.

Onions, celery, and green peppers are known as the "holy trinity" of cajun cooking. Add them and also the garlic to the pot with the roux. Cook this for about 10 minutes or until the onions and garlic get fragrant. Add salt, pepper, thyme, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves to the mess. Begin adding the stock slowly while stirring. It may help to heat it up first. I usually make the shrimp stock out of the shrimp heads from the shrimp I'm using and have it ready to go at this point.

Once all the stock is added, cover the dutch oven and let it simmer on low heat for 40 minutes. Now you can toss in your shrimp, sausage, and file powder. Stir it up, cover it and turn off the heat. Wait 10 minutes. Serve in bowls with a blob of rice and garnish with chopped green onions. Laissez les bons temps rouler.

Sparkey
11-05-2010, 09:16 AM

There are a lot of gumbo varieties and the trick to making good ones is to "not cross the streams."

What I mean by that is don't mix seasons. Cajun gumbo is thickened with Okra and dark roux in the summer and generally sea-food heavy but thickened with file powder and dark roux in the winter and could be sausage, and/or fowl heavy. Too often do I see a gumbo thickened with file and ruined with slimy okra as an afterthought for "authenticity." Gross.

ingredients:
2 beers
4 oz Vegetable Oil
4 oz AP flour
1 small onion, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
S+P
1/2 t dried thyme
1/4 t cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
1/2 lb andouille sausage
1 T file powder

Technique:
In a dutch oven combine flour and oil. Stir/whisk slowly but constantly over medium heat. Drink both beers. When they are gone your roux should be the color of chocolate and its time to move on. If you get bored you can pop the whole thing in the oven at 350 for an hour or so as long as you remember to check on it and mix it up once in a while.

Onions, celery, and green peppers are known as the "holy trinity" of cajun cooking. Add them and also the garlic to the pot with the roux. Cook this for about 10 minutes or until the onions and garlic get fragrant. Add salt, pepper, thyme, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves to the mess. Begin adding the stock slowly while stirring. It may help to heat it up first. I usually make the shrimp stock out of the shrimp heads from the shrimp I'm using and have it ready to go at this point.

Once all the stock is added, cover the dutch oven and let it simmer on low heat for 40 minutes. Now you can toss in your shrimp, sausage, and file powder. Stir it up, cover it and turn off the heat. Wait 10 minutes. Serve in bowls with a blob of rice and garnish with chopped green onions. Laissez les bons temps rouler.

If a person were to use clarified butter, instead of vegetable oil, would it still be 4 & 4 for the measurements ?

3irty1
11-05-2010, 09:42 AM

ingredients:
2 beers
4 oz Vegetable Oil
4 oz AP flour
1 small onion, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
S+P
1/2 t dried thyme
1/4 t cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
1/2 lb andouille sausage
1 T file powder

Technique:

If a person were to use clarified butter, instead of vegetable oil, would it still be 4 & 4 for the measurements ?

Yes, you can make a roux out of most any oil as long as you have equal parts oil and flour by weight.

Tarlam!
11-06-2010, 02:27 AM
Tarlam! will know all about Pumpkin seed oil. Every time I've ever used it the label said it came from his neck of the woods.

Sure do! I have a really great friend who lives near Graz in Austria and he introduced it to me. Apparently, his region is highly specialized in producing the stuff.

He recommended dressing feta cheese with the stuff and serving it as an appetizer. Fabulous. Obviously in salads, but I haven't used it for desserts. Sounds like a great idea!

Tarlam!
11-06-2010, 02:29 AM

Nope. Cajun, I love to eat, but can't prepare. I'm just a typically trained chef on French cuisine. I defer to 31, who as I note has provided a recipé!

Tarlam!
11-06-2010, 02:39 AM

Yes, you can make a roux out of most any oil as long as you have equal parts oil and flour by weight.

OK, this is where my Saucier heart races!

A brown roux is made with darkened flour. Basically, one bakes flour with upper heat stirring often until brown. IT IS A HORRRRRRRRRRRIBLE TASK. The worst a Chef saucier can ask of his Commis.

And while 31 is absolutely correct in saying any oil and flour will turn into a roux, I, personally, think clarified butter is a waste of money. Any old margerine will do.

I especially appreciated 31's description of cooling the roux. I just want to add a trade secret: Hot roux? Cold stock. Cold roux? Hot stock. Or insert milk if your making a Bechamél.

Sometimes, things need to go fast. Mis en Place is EVERYTHING!!!!

Little Whiskey
11-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Sure do! I have a really great friend who lives near Graz in Austria and he introduced it to me. Apparently, his region is highly specialized in producing the stuff.

He recommended dressing feta cheese with the stuff and serving it as an appetizer. Fabulous. Obviously in salads, but I haven't used it for desserts. Sounds like a great idea!

you need some seeds? the pumkins took over the back 40 this year. We've got more pumkins than we know what to do with. all the seeds you need!

Deputy Nutz
11-06-2010, 12:53 PM
you need some seeds? the pumkins took over the back 40 this year. We've got more pumkins than we know what to do with. all the seeds you need!

I have heard that deer love pumpkins, but I have yet to see them eat any, I threw a couple out into the field, just wondering.

Joemailman
11-06-2010, 04:20 PM
They do!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/3089049725_c78f56077c.jpg

retailguy
11-06-2010, 04:54 PM
he's not eating a pumpkin, he's playing football!

retailguy
11-06-2010, 04:55 PM
I need a good authentic carne asada recipe!

Tarlam!
11-06-2010, 05:36 PM
I need a good authentic carne asada recipe!

I am such an IDIOT!!!!!!

I once worked as the Catering Manager for the Sydney branch os a mutli national oil comapny any the board of directors were all from Texas. They had ""working lunches" with a revolving host.

So, one day I get this call from a Texan director and he tells me about this dish and I just cringe. He insists his wife has the best recipe I you know, he's one of the bosses so I agree to do this crap.

The Texan insists on the scrappiest meat, but also on limes, something totally uncommon in Sydney back in the day. So, I make this dish with all the garnishes. Rats, you will not believe what lime does to meat! I am living testimony that this crap is the best way on the planet to prepare meat.

Why am I an idiot? Ya, I threw the recipe away.

Can't help you RG.

3irty1
11-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Carne Asada

Marinade:
4 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 t ground toasted cumin seed
1 handful of cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
S+P
Juice of two limes
2 T white vinegar
1/2 t sugar
1/2 c evoo (extra virgin olive oil)

Meat:
2 lbs of flank steak

Technique:
Combine marinade and pour over steak in a nonreactive bowl. Because of the acidic nature of the marinade the meat will turn grey, the same way ceviche is "cooked" in an acidic marinade. We don't want all the protein to become fully denatured as we still want to grill it. For this reason the marinade should be applied for no longer than 4 hours! 3 hours usually all I do. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to marinade under refrigeration.

When its almost done, preheat the grill. You may want to brush or spray the grill with oil to prevent sticking. Grill for a few minutes per side, adjusting the time for thickness. Be sure to let steak rest 5-10 minutes before slicing. Slice each piece into thin strips by cutting against the grain at an angle. Serve however you want.

Edited for clarity.

SkinBasket
11-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Carne Asada:

1. Follow Partial home.
2. Ring the doorbell.
3. Bang his mom while he drinks Mountain Dew and plays D&D in the basement.

Technique: Any will do.

Little Whiskey
11-06-2010, 11:05 PM

I have heard that deer love pumpkins, but I have yet to see them eat any, I threw a couple out into the field, just wondering.

a few of the guys i used to work with at a golf couse during college would take a bunch of pumkins for deer bait. like you i've never seen them eat a pumkin, but those guys swore by them. I normally use a corn, carrot and apple mix.

Tarlam!
11-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Carne Asada

1/2 c evoo

Honestly, I can't remember anything about the recipé except the limes and the flank, but I would definitely remember evoo. What is it?

MJZiggy
11-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Carne Asada

1/2 c evoo

Honestly, I can't remember anything about the recipé except the limes and the flank, but I would definitely remember evoo. What is it?

Extra Virgin Olive Oil. If you're into food shows, Rachel Ray always says EVOO.

3irty1
11-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Carne Asada

1/2 c evoo

Haha sometimes I get lazy when writing recipes. S+P, AP flour, evoo, etc. I see ziggy already cleared it up for me. My apologies.

MJZiggy
11-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Carne Asada

1/2 c evoo

Haha sometimes I get lazy when writing recipes. S+P, AP flour, evoo, etc. I see ziggy already cleared it up for me. My apologies.

You guys keep this up and SOMEBODY's coming over here to cook me lunch. :D

Tarlam!
11-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Just like you Americans to make a Virgin into an abbreviation. I might love you, but I'll never understand you.

MJZiggy
11-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Just like you Americans to make a Virgin into an abbreviation. I might love you, but I'll never understand you.

We don't abbreviate the virgins, just the extra virgins. You have no chance with them.

channtheman
11-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Carne Asada

1/2 c evoo

Funny thing I've noticed with RR (Rachel Ray to the layperson) is that almost every time she says EVOO, she then goes on to explain that it is in fact extra virgin olive oil. What is the point in an abbreviation if she always follows it up with what it is?

Tarlam!
11-08-2010, 02:49 AM
Carne Asada

1/2 c evoo

Funny thing I've noticed with RR (Rachel Ray to the layperson) is that almost every time she says EVOO, she then goes on to explain that it is in fact extra virgin olive oil. What is the point in an abbreviation if she always follows it up with what it is?

OK, well, in my humble view, she's wishing she was still a virgin. Not everybody had the pleasure to sleep with a saucier.

I'm sorry Skin'. I'll stop fucking your thread if you Yanks will stop fucking with my mind!

SkinBasket
11-08-2010, 08:22 AM
This stopped being my thread about 7 pages ago. I'm happy just watching now.

MichiganPackerFan
11-08-2010, 02:07 PM

Somehow, this is exactly what I asked for, but not at all what i wanted.

Deputy Nutz
11-08-2010, 05:21 PM

Somehow, this is exactly what I asked for, but not at all what i wanted.

Hey, how did you find a picture of Madtown?

Tarlam!
11-09-2010, 03:23 AM

So, what you're saying is, you're condoning my mind being fucked. Good, just wanted to be clear! I love a good mind fuck as much as the next guy!

SkinBasket
11-09-2010, 10:26 AM

So, what you're saying is, you're condoning my mind being fucked. Good, just wanted to be clear! I love a good mind fuck as much as the next guy!

You're just too damn fuckable.

Freak Out
11-09-2010, 06:30 PM
I found some extra virgins here in Mong Kok if you need any....don't wait to long though.

SkinBasket
11-09-2010, 08:55 PM
I found some extra virgins here in Mong Kok if you need any....don't wait to long though.

Take their oil.

Tarlam!
11-10-2010, 11:39 AM

Take their oil.

Take their virginity!

SkinBasket
11-10-2010, 04:47 PM

Take their oil.

Take their virginity!

Will they fit in a box?

3irty1
11-19-2010, 09:19 AM
So what do people have planned for Thanksgiving? Anyone cooking?

MichiganPackerFan
11-19-2010, 12:06 PM
My wife & I do a traditional / soul food hybrid: turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, greens, dressing, mac & cheese & sweet potato pie. Oh, and SEVERAL bottles of cheap wine. We have a lot of fun cooking and wining and dining!

easy cheesy
11-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Mmmmmm MPF.... greens are soooo nom, nom, nom.... don't forget the Jalapeno and Sharp Cheddar Corn Bread.....

As for me and Thanksgiving... I'm vacillating between traditional roast turkey, giblet dressing, Yukon Gold mashers, green beans sauteed with thick pepper bacon and onions, fresh baked biscuits with honey butter, fresh cranberry sauce with orange zest, and... I'm with you... bring on the wine.... copious amounts... and football ALL DAY LONG!!!! WEEEEE!!!!!

Either that or go spend four quality hours with Greg the bartender at the Cheesecake Factory... gettin' tuned... talkin' football smack with the poor dudes who were forced to go out for Thanksgiving supper by their "old ladies" and are trying to sneak off for a quick "pop" in the lounge to escape all the "fun" of family... throw down one last Gin Rickey... and then swing by Taco Bell on the way home.... decisions, decisions....

3irty1
03-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I've got a question for those rats who live in places other than the Midwest regarding your local Japanese hibachi/steakhouse establishments. Here in Milwaukee/Madison/Chicago these steakhouses serve this topping for butterflied shrimp that is the color of hollandaise but is thick more like mayo. The stuff is spooned in thick blobs onto the shrimp, squirted with brandy and then covered. Presumably this is to steam the stuff as when the cover is removed the result is no longer a sauce but a firm custard type topping that is addicting. I've seen this in the above cities called "Kogane" sauce or simply called "Golden Shrimp."

My question: Is this only a midwest thing? I've been to some of these type places on either coast and can't say I've ever seen it.

I attempted to make it this weekend for the first time assuming it was basically made in the style of mayo but with a few more yolks. I'm working on a recipe for it and I'll post it once I've got something I'm happy with.