PDA

View Full Version : The Official Vikings@Packers Gameday Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

mmmdk
10-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Absolutely insane that we had 3 healthy DL in Raji, Wynn, and Wilson. Big ups to those guys. I thought Wilson especially had a real nice game.

Also, Clifton and Bulaga were lights out.

Wilson totally overachieved and he might get better with a year under his belt.

For as good as I believe the depth on this team is now, it will only be that much better when guys like Quarless and Wilson have a year under their belt. They both look like they could be keepers.

Not givin up on this year yet though. Get a few guys healthy and all the experience these backups have been getting will pay dividends down the stretch.

Season got life today; desire, will & talented players won this one. Half'n'half on play calling plus those out of sync moments between JJ, GJ, Jordy & AR were weird.

Brando19
10-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Favre said he doesn't know if he'll play next week...he says that all the time...but he looks like a player that's had enough and it drained.

That would be so gratifying! Packers game end his streak!!

I swear...I don't think he'll be starting next week. He looks like he's drained and maybe done with the game. When he left the podium...he looked like the needed a wheel chair. He had to be helped down the stairs.

The Shadow
10-24-2010, 11:24 PM
The headline tomorrow reads, "Brett Favre leads the Packers to Victory"

If you were at the game and could hold-up one sign, what would it read?

How about "Say Cheese, Brett!"

"Ever thus to traitors?"

TennesseePackerBacker
10-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Favre said he doesn't know if he'll play next week...he says that all the time...but he looks like a player that's had enough and it drained.

The streak is probably more historical than Cal Ripken Jr.'s. I hope it ends after week 17 this year and not a moment sooner. Don't forget, most of the streak was in green and gold.

The Leaper
10-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Great win for the team...needed it badly. Still upset with some of MMs decisions...not challenging the spot before the second 4th-and-1...the fake FG play...running the same damn 4th-and-1 play after it didn't work the first time...continuing the trend of tossing 40 yard bombs on 3rd and short. Amazingly, he gets some credit this week for rushing the extra point after the Quarless TD, which was huge.

This game was won in spite of another mediocre showing from the offense. Rodgers did not seem to be on the same page with many of his receivers, and got happy feet again at times. Driver has all but disappeared the last 2-3 weeks and we need to think about promoting both Jones and Nelson over him IMO. Running game had its moments, but it seems they either gain 12 yards or gain 2 yards...not much in between. Can't gain a yard when they need it either.

Defense played well again considering how many regulars are out. Capers is nothing short of a magician considering what he's working with. The guy has a college level DL in there half the time. Still were able to collapse the pocket on occasion. Coverage made big plays when the defense did get pressure on Favre.

Chilly tossing Bert under the bus is funny...Favre was driving that team for a win until their RT decided to yank Clay's facemask around a few times to see if he could play a role in The Exorcist. Chilly should've been calling AP's number all night anyway. The Vikings win if they just pound the ball on the ground all night long.

mmmdk

I swear...I don't think he'll be starting next week. He looks like he's drained and maybe done with the game. When he left the podium...he looked like the needed a wheel chair. He had to be helped down the stairs.

At least he wouldn't end career with int.

Jimx29

I swear...I don't think he'll be starting next week. He looks like he's drained and maybe done with the game. When he left the podium...he looked like the needed a wheel chair. He had to be helped down the stairs.the suspension that's lurking will kick in instead. he'll be back in time for our visit to MN. NFL likes to create drama

Joemailman
10-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Favre taking the high road so far
Said he can't disagree with Chilly on his read on the Hawk INT

No matter what Favre has done lately, tonight he showed more class in defeat than his coach. It will be an interesting situation between those two going forward.

Tarlam!
10-24-2010, 11:27 PM

The streak is probably more historical than Cal Ripken Jr.'s. I hope it ends after week 17 this year and not a moment sooner. Don't forget, most of the streak was in green and gold.

In my mind, he's a dirtbag. I do not wish him well. He went to the Vikes to stick it to the Packers, for no other reason. I can't play football, but I can be just as spiteful as Bert.

Brando19
10-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Good night my Packer family. Great night to be a Packer fan.

Jimx29
10-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Favre taking the high road so far
Said he can't disagree with Chilly on his read on the Hawk INT

No matter what Favre has done lately, tonight he showed more class in defeat than his coach. It will be an interesting situation between those two going forward.Exactly. The texting shit finally tipped me from a bert fan, but now after his presser i gotta admit he's still the bert I knew for the last 20 years

mmmdk
10-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Great win for the team...needed it badly. Still upset with some of MMs decisions...not challenging the spot before the second 4th-and-1...the fake FG play...running the same damn 4th-and-1 play after it didn't work the first time...continuing the trend of tossing 40 yard bombs on 3rd and short. Amazingly, he gets some credit this week for rushing the extra point after the Quarless TD, which was huge.

This game was won in spite of another mediocre showing from the offense. Rodgers did not seem to be on the same page with many of his receivers, and got happy feet again at times. Driver has all but disappeared the last 2-3 weeks and we need to think about promoting both Jones and Nelson over him IMO. Running game had its moments, but it seems they either gain 12 yards or gain 2 yards...not much in between. Can't gain a yard when they need it either.

Defense played well again considering how many regulars are out. Capers is nothing short of a magician considering what he's working with. The guy has a college level DL in there half the time. Still were able to collapse the pocket on occasion. Coverage made big plays when the defense did get pressure on Favre.

Chilly tossing Bert under the bus is funny...Favre was driving that team for a win until their RT decided to yank Clay's facemask around a few times to see if he could play a role in The Exorcist. Chilly should've been calling AP's number all night anyway. The Vikings win if they just pound the ball on the ground all night long.

Goodnight from Denmark - thanks to all - and nice post, leaper, I agree with 99% :D

imscott72
10-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Listening to KFAN right now, and they think Favre wants to quit. They think he's totally emotionally and physically spent. After watching his presser I'd have to agree. When asked if he was going to go next week, it was like he didn't want to answer.

The Leaper
10-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Favre won't finish this season...the guy's body simply is breaking down after years of punishment. Tack on the fact that the fun is now gone considering the Vikings situation, and I'd be surprised if Favre was still playing 4-6 weeks from now. He's a warrior, but it is quite obvious that the guy isn't at 100% right now...and this is even after he's had the bye week to recover. I honestly can't see Favre playing when December rolls around. He won't be able to walk by that point.

Bossman641
10-24-2010, 11:32 PM

I thought MM should have challenged the spot on Jennings' catch but other then that I thought he coached a good game. He stuck to the run a little bit more than normal, and mixed in a good amount of RB screens and even some TE screens (which was a new wrinkle).

I know everyone likes to criticize when Rodgers throws deep on 3rd and short, but without knowing which WR is the first option on those plays there's no way to know whether to put it on Rodgers or MM.

Tarlam!
10-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Favre won't finish this season...the guy's body simply is breaking down after years of punishment. Tack on the fact that the fun is now gone considering the Vikings situation, and I'd be surprised if Favre was still playing 4-6 weeks from now. He's a warrior, but it is quite obvious that the guy isn't at 100% right now...and this is even after he's had the bye week to recover. I honestly can't see Favre playing when December rolls around. He won't be able to walk by that point.

Good! It's just the career ending I want for the friggin' treacherous slimebucket.

vince
10-24-2010, 11:33 PM
When we started discussing this game on the Vikings thread, I posted no team would win, one team would lose.

If Bert doesn't throw 3 picks, Vikes prolly win. So my prognosis was correct. The Vikes, or Bert, lost the game.

I'll take it, though!
You have to give the Packers D a lot of credit. The first INT was due to pressure and a guy hanging on Favre throwing him off balance while throwing. The second INT was a GREAT play by Collins. The third was a miscommunication between Favre and Moss. Blame Favre for that one.

Rodgers also took two certain scoring opportunities and threw them in the toilet, so it wasn't all Favre giving this game away.

Give the Packers some credit Packer fans!

Cheesehead Craig
10-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Now i get to watch the late vikings tv sports whiners
Post the best reactions. But I am sure WI sports radio will all be giving the W short shrift tomorrow morning. Bunch of complainers you people! :lol:
Over at a Vikes forum here in the Twin Cities they are pissed as hell at Favre and Childress.

General concensus is that Favre hung on too long and Childress is a terrible coach. The decision to not even try and score before halftime was dumb.

The usual moaning on how the refs gave the Packers the game. But they complain about the officiating in every loss.

A lot of grumbling about the DL. Wondering how it is they have fallen so far so fast in the pass rushing department.

HarveyWallbangers
10-24-2010, 11:36 PM
his limp got noticeably worse after he got into the tunnel

Camera was still on him. Limp got noticeably worse after each interception.

vince
10-24-2010, 11:37 PM
The Packers D-Line battled hard while SEVERELY short-handed to start the game. Then Jenkins and Pickett go down tonight...? My God, that was a herculean effort by some late round kids in Wilson and Wynn. Hell they had Zombo playing DE at the end.

HarveyWallbangers
Nice to see several Packer players coming over to kindly greet him

I'm sure there were several Viking players coming over to kindly greet Rodgers, but you wouldn't know it.

Tarlam!
When we started discussing this game on the Vikings thread, I posted no team would win, one team would lose.

If Bert doesn't throw 3 picks, Vikes prolly win. So my prognosis was correct. The Vikes, or Bert, lost the game.

I'll take it, though!
You have to give the Packers D a lot of credit. The first INT was due to pressure and a guy hanging on Favre throwing him off balance while throwing. The second INT was a GREAT play by Collins. The third was a miscommunication between Favre and Moss. Blame Favre for that one.

Rodgers also took two certain scoring opportunities and threw them in the toilet, so it wasn't all Favre giving this game away.

The Collins INT was a great play on the ball, but Bert shouldn't have thrown it. I do give a lot of credit to the makeshift D. No qustioen. The point is, it's a makeshift D, and the Vikes should have put more points up than they did, as should the Packers.

Give the Packers some credit Packer fans![/quote]

Cheesehead Craig

Surprised he didn't throw in an elbow grab as well.

The Leaper
10-24-2010, 11:39 PM
The decision to not even try and score before halftime was dumb.

Yep. Thankfully, it covered up ANOTHER McCarthy brain fart by calling a timeout to try to get the ball back. Your defense is mostly on IR. The other team has Randy Moss. WHY IN THE HELL DO YOU CALL A TIME OUT THERE??? MM got lucky that Childress wimped out.

imscott72
10-24-2010, 11:40 PM
The Packers D-Line battled hard while SEVERELY short-handed to start the game. Then Jenkins and Pickett go down tonight...? My God, that was a herculean effort by some late round kids in Wilson and Wynn. Hell they had Zombo playing DE at the end.

Everybody loves to shred TT, but let's give the man some credit for giving us such a deep team that can still hang despite all the injuries.

Cheesehead Craig
10-24-2010, 11:41 PM

Everybody loves to shred TT, but let's give the man some credit for giving us such a deep team that can still hang despite all the injuries.

Amen.

Jimx29
10-24-2010, 11:47 PM

Everybody loves to shred TT, but let's give the man some credit for giving us such a deep team that can still hang despite all the injuries.TT's biggest fault is that he's in bed with MM and won't can him anytime soon

imscott72
10-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Guys on KFAN basically accusing Favre of faking the ankle..Hilarious..

vince
10-24-2010, 11:48 PM
It's pretty easy to see how much Matthews, even though he didn't get a sack, changes the complexion of the defense. It would be nice if there was someone on the other side that was also a serious threat to pressure the QB.

ThunderDan
10-24-2010, 11:55 PM
It's pretty easy to see how much Matthews, even though he didn't get a sack, changes the complexion of the defense. It would be nice if there was someone on the other side that was also a serious threat to pressure the QB.

We just had our 2nd draft as a 3-4 team and picked up a good T, a good DE and a good S. Give us a little more time to find the bookend to CMIII.

Jimx29
10-24-2010, 11:56 PM
It's pretty easy to see how much Matthews, even though he didn't get a sack, changes the complexion of the defense. It would be nice if there was someone on the other side that was also a serious threat to pressure the QB.he rattled bret one play and the next play by bret was an interception. Clay should get a half int. to his record for that

digitaldean
10-24-2010, 11:58 PM
This pic says it all for tonight!
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2010/1024/20101024__101025Sign_300.jpg

Thanks BERT!!

digitaldean
10-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Guys on KFAN basically accusing Favre of faking the ankle..Hilarious..

Oh, this week in the Twin Cities is going to be just freakin' hilarious...

vince
10-25-2010, 12:02 AM

We just had our 2nd draft as a 3-4 team and picked up a good T, a good DE and a good S. Give us a little more time to find the bookend to CMIII.
I'm feelin' ya Dan. Good point. Neal looks like he's got the goods to be a solid player at least... Burnett too. He got Matthews already... Jones in the 7th is a steal.... Zombo... He's actually done very well in that time.

Joemailman
10-25-2010, 12:02 AM
It's just amazing to me that they beat the Vikings with only Raji, C.J. Wilson and Jarius Wynn on the DL. For all of MM's questionable decisions, he does get this team to respond well to adversity.

Airin' Rodgers
10-25-2010, 12:15 AM
All of a sudden, the Pack is tied for the division lead. Crazy year

digitaldean
10-25-2010, 12:29 AM
It's going to be a tough one next vs. the Jets.

Their D is darn good. Their O is good on the run, but they can be had on the passing game. Need to get a W on the road to keep the MO going!!

imscott72
10-25-2010, 12:31 AM
It's going to be a tough one next vs. the Jets.

Their D is darn good. Their O is good on the run, but they can be had on the passing game. Need to get a W on the road to keep the MO going!!

Plus they were off this week and we're coming off somewhat of a short week. Everything points to a Jets win, but I didn't think we'd win tonight either. Who knows anymore.

LEWCWA
10-25-2010, 12:32 AM

I'll take it, though!

What about Rodgers throwing 2 picks in the red zone. Thats thing about if statements, hard to argue with them but they don't really mean shit. Cause if Rodgers doesn't throw his its not a game. If Harvin drags his foot its lights out for GB....So the thing isn't if, because if never happens!

Joemailman
10-25-2010, 12:35 AM
I'll consider it a huge plus if they beat the Jets. It's possible if they can be tough against the Jets running game. Having Pickett would certainly help. It won't be the end of the season if they lose to the Jets.

Tarlam!
10-25-2010, 12:36 AM

I'll take it, though!

What about Rodgers throwing 2 picks in the red zone. Thats thing about if statements, hard to argue with them but they don't really mean shit. Cause if Rodgers doesn't throw his its not a game. If Harvin drags his foot its lights out for GB....So the thing isn't if, because if never happens!

I dunno what you're getting at LEWCA. My point is, the Pack didn't win the game, the Vikes lost it. It boils down to the team that made the fewest critical mistakes will be awarded the "W". Just my opinion.

Joemailman
10-25-2010, 12:55 AM

I'll take it, though!

I dunno what you're getting at LEWCA. My point is, the Pack didn't win the game, the Vikes lost it. It boils down to the team that made the fewest critical mistakes will be awarded the "W". Just my opinion.

Well, in that case, teams seldom "win" a game, since the team that commits the most turnovers usually ends up on the short end. I've always thought that committing fewer mistakes that the opponent was a part of winning.

pbmax
10-25-2010, 01:08 AM

Leap, take a deep breath...

Challenging the spot on Rodgers run (that was the one you were referring to?) would have still left them short.

Driver was catching all the balls that everyone was complaining weren't going to Jennings until last week. That plus Driver was hurt this game. He is OK.

McCarthy got more out of the run game than at almost any other time this season and had better results on 3rd downs.

I am not a fan of the second 4th down call because you are running it behind your worst blocking TE and Nance was a wasted player as no one was buying the possibility of pitch when they had never done it in short yardage before.

Like the fake FG as it will help cause other teams to prepare and pull players away from the LOS.

I thought the D was shakier this week than the previous two but the offense they faced was better manned. Capers seemed to choose to let AP beat him rather than Favre. But with other lineman out, he might not have had a choice.

McCarthy got better production in the redzone, but the offense still faltered in second half. Rodgers feet looked much better and he looked more confident. But he can't get so comfortable that he makes two bad decisions like the two INTs were. And someone needs to cover back shoulder throws with the QBs and WR.

pbmax
10-25-2010, 01:11 AM
This game was proof that if you limit penalties and turnovers (or at least come up net positive) you should win.

They still did not score enough for the yards they gained and did not generate enough heat on the QB, and Special Teams were still partially dysfunctional, but the other two improvements won out.

channtheman
10-25-2010, 01:11 AM
^ No he is talking about the Jennings catch that was a first down by about a yard. MM did not challenge that and he ended the game with it in his pocket. He challenges that, I fully believe we score a TD to go up 2 possessions and the game is over.

LEWCWA
10-25-2010, 01:17 AM

I'll take it, though!

Thats just it. This doesn't make sense to me. GB played well and won the game. Mn didn't give this game away in my opinion, sure they weren't perfect, but GB wasn't either. If your opinion is the case, teams never win games, the other team just loses.

channtheman
10-25-2010, 01:25 AM

I'll take it, though!

Thats just it. This doesn't make sense to me. GB played well and won the game. Mn didn't give this game away in my opinion, sure they weren't perfect, but GB wasn't either. If your opinion is the case, teams never win games, the other team just loses.

I've gotta agree with you. Can't it be said that Jared Allen made a great play to make the INT? Or that we were able to pressure Favre enough to force him to throw a pass to Bishop? Yes both were bad throws, but GOOD defense caused them.

Depends on how you look at it I suppose, I can see how it is seen both ways though.

Tarlam!
10-25-2010, 02:05 AM
If your opinion is the case, teams never win games, the other team just loses.

Denver were beaten by Oakland, badly. It doesn't need to be a blowout for one team to beat the other, but a certain dominance, a big play to pull out a tight one, that to me is winning. The Vikes should have scored on that last possession and didn't. IMHO, they lost it.

Now, had the Packers scored on their last real possession, then I'd have a different opinion,

Hey, a it's glass half empty view, maybe, but it's how I see it. I'm as big as a homer and kool-aide drinker as anyone here. I'll take the "W" anytime no matter how ugly or fortunate. I reserve the right to create my own reality.

Lurker64
10-25-2010, 05:01 AM
If your opinion is the case, teams never win games, the other team just loses.

Denver were beaten by Oakland, badly. It doesn't need to be a blowout for one team to beat the other, but a certain dominance, a big play to pull out a tight one, that to me is winning. The Vikes should have scored on that last possession and didn't. IMHO, they lost it.

Now, had the Packers scored on their last real possession, then I'd have a different opinion,

Hey, a it's glass half empty view, maybe, but it's how I see it. I'm as big as a homer and kool-aide drinker as anyone here. I'll take the "W" anytime no matter how ugly or fortunate. I reserve the right to create my own reality.

The Packers have lost three very close games this year in which the defense has dropped or had negated by penalties a significant number of turnovers that likely would have changed the outcome of the game. Were the Packers to hang onto or avoid being penalized on one of Cutler's late would-be INTs in the game at Chicago, would you say that the Bears lost that game or that the Packers won it?

There's no shame in winning, and there's no shame in winning because of your defense. Your defense can make plays because the opposing offense makes mistakes that enable your defense to make plays, but you still have to catch the interception, pick up the ball, or make the tackle.

The Packers won the game because the defense prevented a first down or touchdown on four consecutive plays after Minnesota had a first down in the red zone. If Minnesota had noticeably screwed up there, you might have a point, but you can't take credit away from your defense simply by saying the opposing offense sucked. Good defense and bad offense are sort of inseparable (similarly good offense and bad defense), you can never tell how much of each is playing a role in any given game. You don't want to take credit away from your team, or lay all the blame on the inadequacy of the other team so it's better to split the difference.

Minnesota made a bunch of mistakes and Green Bay was able to take advantage of enough of them in order to win the game. Whether the Vikings lost or the Packers won is ultimately just a semantic discussion. Whichever answer you pick counts exactly the same in the standings.

Do we need to play better going forward? Absolutely, but you know... never apologize for a win (or a loss by the team that you were just playing ;) ).

Tarlam!
10-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Do we need to play better going forward? Absolutely, but you know... never apologize for a win (or a loss by the team that you were just playing ;) ).

I can agree with what you wrote and it's your perogative to see it anyway you choose. By no means am I apologizing for a "W".

I'm just not celebrating it like Rogers and many here. To quote Silversten on JSO

There were all kinds of reasons the Packers should have lost, but they didn't.

I would be over the moon happy if Rogers had led the Packers to a two score lead instead of a punt. Especially if the D would have kept it that way under those circumstances. I'll agree that the D did remarkably well, all things considered.

But let's be real; a QB of Bert's experience with the weapons he had around him against a makeshift defense..... sorry, I don't get excited by that. I'm really delighted with the outcome, I'll be even more delighted if this is the game that ends Bert's career.

So, I'm not bitching or apologizing, but IMHO, the Vikes lost and the Pack book a "W" as a result. The Pack lost in Chicago with the penalties, against the 'Skins with 2 missed FGs in regulation and I am trying to forget Miami.

The Pack, IMHO won against Phillie, Detroit and Buffalo, despite relatively mediocre performances by the O & ST units.

Fritz
10-25-2010, 06:48 AM

Leap, take a deep breath...

Challenging the spot on Rodgers run (that was the one you were referring to?) would have still left them short.

Driver was catching all the balls that everyone was complaining weren't going to Jennings until last week. That plus Driver was hurt this game. He is OK.

McCarthy got more out of the run game than at almost any other time this season and had better results on 3rd downs.

I am not a fan of the second 4th down call because you are running it behind your worst blocking TE and Nance was a wasted player as no one was buying the possibility of pitch when they had never done it in short yardage before.

Like the fake FG as it will help cause other teams to prepare and pull players away from the LOS.

I thought the D was shakier this week than the previous two but the offense they faced was better manned. Capers seemed to choose to let AP beat him rather than Favre. But with other lineman out, he might not have had a choice.

McCarthy got better production in the redzone, but the offense still faltered in second half. Rodgers feet looked much better and he looked more confident. But he can't get so comfortable that he makes two bad decisions like the two INTs were. And someone needs to cover back shoulder throws with the QBs and WR.

I think PB's got the post of the game and maybe of the week. I liked the fake FG, even though it didn't work. I like that MM showed confidence in his team by going for it on fourth down. But I don't like the play call - that fullback dive hadn't worked two times before - why now? Had he called the pitch to Nance, Nance would have been able to pussyfoot all the way to the end zone.

I am disappointed with Rodgers - those two picks, wow. The first was a brain fart, the second was just trying to throw back and not throwing it far enough back - another yard left and Jennings might've had a score. But still, in that situation, better for Rodgers to not throw that ball.

Some of the play calling mystified me. Third and three, fourth quarter, a first down would be huge, and the Packers or Rodgers or someone elects to throw long? And of course, all first half Rodgers is throwing that back shoulder thing while his receivers are motoring downfield...and this time he throws it downfield while his reciever tries to cut off the route. What happened to the short four or five yard throw just to get the first down and keep that clock moving?

Having said that, I think the defense was nearly heroic this game. My god, they lost Pickett and Jenkins and basically had only three down linemen for the entire game, and somehow they beat Favre, Peterson, Harvin, et al? That's incredible. Huge props to the defense and to Capers.

And finally, yes, funny what a lack of penalties and winning the turnover battle can do....

ThunderDan
10-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Actually, I was impressed with our O this game. We moved the ball efficently. We kept ARod clean. We ran the ball well. We ran right at J Allen and trhew screen plays to slow down the Viking rush. Arod just needs to perform more like the stats padding QB of 08 and 09 ( :lol: ) and less like the gunslinger this year. We only needed to punt 2 times all game (OK could have been 3 except the 4th down tries). We picked up 3rd downs regularly and kept drives alive. We scored on long fields other than Bishops TD.

Last night the O started to show its preseason form. Keep making little improvements every week and we will be putting up the 30+ points per game that we expected at the beginning of the year.

mmmdk
10-25-2010, 08:16 AM

I couldn't hear what Longwell spoke to Favre but sources tell me that Longwell said:

Longwell: [As Ryan reaches out to Favre's helmet] "May I carry your helmet, Jesus?"

Favre/Jesus: "Yeah ok, I'll be laying on hands on myself all night long for sure".

pbmax
10-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Yes. Offense did not fix everything, but it was a definite step forward against a good defense. And the Packer D really locked down in the 2nd half and late.

CJ Wilson made a name for himself in this game.

If the Packers can figure out 4th quarter offense again, they will win some of these going away.

mission
10-25-2010, 08:30 AM
One also needs to realize that MM is still one of thee shittiest coaches ever in GB

Na; we've had some really bad ones

Ray Rhodes
Bart Starr
Forrest Gregg
Dan Devine

He may be closer to a Lindy Infante/Mike Sherman than a Mike Holmgren....but I wouldn't put him as low as you do

Pretty hard to disagree with that and I'm a MM "hater"... he's right in that Infante / Sherman category no doubt. Not quite Rhodes, definitely not close to Holmy.

Tarlam!
10-25-2010, 09:33 AM
What the Twin Cities media had to say about the game

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/105647303.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUi D3aPc:_Yyc:aUvckD8EQDUs

Vikings' bad mood rising after loss
The Vikings coach grumbled about the performance of Brett Favre and what he thought was substandard officiating on a couple of calls, and he also has to look at the prospect of having his banged-up quarterback sit out next week.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune
Last update: October 25, 2010 - 9:14 AM

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_16425965?nclick_check=1

Tom Powers: Vikings hobbling along with Brett Favre
Pioneer Press
Updated: 10/25/2010 09:18:47 AM CDT

TOM POWERS
GREEN BAY, Wis. — Legends shouldn't go down on their knees. They shouldn't stagger and fall under the weight of fatigue and old age. But on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers, Brett Favre looked a hundred years old.

With the New England Patriots on tap for next week, the situation appears to be exceedingly grim.

"It ain't over yet," tight end Visanthe Shiancoe said. "Championships aren't won in the first quarter or first half of a season."

Further links: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/105665313.html

hoosier
10-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Chilly showed us again what he is made of in his long-winded complaint about the officiating. If that in itself wasn't bad enough, he had the nerve or the idiocy to complain about the facemask call on their RT against Matthews, which was about as obvious as you can get. According to him they had missed some earlier calls so they should have let that one go too. Favre may be on his way out but for the sake of my inner train-wreck seeker I sure hope Chilly sticks around for a while.

mngolf19
10-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Chilly showed us again what he is made of in his long-winded complaint about the officiating. If that in itself wasn't bad enough, he had the nerve or the idiocy to complain about the facemask call on their RT against Matthews, which was about as obvious as you can get. According to him they had missed some earlier calls so they should have let that one go too. Favre may be on his way out but for the sake of my inner train-wreck seeker I sure hope Chilly sticks around for a while.

Hoosier, if he feels the play was allowed all night long and then called at a most inopportune moment, don't you think he should be upset about it?

Old School
10-25-2010, 12:38 PM
We can all be proud of the job the young guys did in stepping up last night - offense and defense. I can't wait for the return of the injured starters coupled with the promise the youngsters are showing, and the improvement experience will bring. The Pack will be a real force. TT has put quite a group together.

I question people like DD who have quad injuries, but refuse to wear thigh pads.

I have a mixed take on BrINT's injury. Until his game started going south he was running around like a twelve year old. Suddenly he was limping. That is, except when he threw a TD. Then he could jumpo like he was on a tramboline

It was the same in the Jets game. When he made bad throws, he held his elbow. When he threw a TD. he jumped and pumped his bad arm like there was nothing wrong.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is taping a picture of BrINT on my bathroom mirror. That way when I hobble to the bathroom in the morning with all my aches and pains, I can look at a picture of a guy 30 years younger who looks older than me.

Joemailman
10-25-2010, 12:40 PM

Hoosier, if he feels the play was allowed all night long and then called at a most inopportune moment, don't you think he should be upset about it?

So, if a guy gets away with a personal foul, you tell him to keep doing it as long as the officials don't call it? It's generally understood you can't grab a guy's face mask. There's not a lot of interpretation there.

denverYooper
10-25-2010, 12:58 PM

He had a right to be upset about it but to complain about it to the media makes him look weak.

Anyhow, I thought it got called after the Umpire moved after the 2 minute mark. Maybe he got a better look at it? It could have been us getting called for a hold or something if we had the ball inside of 2 for the same reason and it would have sucked. It doesn't really matter, though, it was clearly a facemask whether or not the ref suddenly decided to be concerned about it. Clay was getting mauled on that last drive before that. The Packers are no stranger to those kinds of calls.

I'd agree that the officiating was pretty bad last night but the Packers were dealt some as well and frankly, it makes Chilly look bad to complain about it. The fact of the matter is that they'll get their share.

ThunderDan
10-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Not when CMIII was thrown to the ground by that facemask! If it was hands to the face and part of the trenches I could see getting upset but it occured on the outside and had to be flagged.

Guiness
10-25-2010, 03:50 PM

Not when CMIII was thrown to the ground by that facemask! If it was hands to the face and part of the trenches I could see getting upset but it occured on the outside and had to be flagged.

As I mentioned in the other thread, this was about as blatant a facemask penalty as there could be. Don't know how you can complain about it.

The tackle grabbed a hold of the facemask (not got his fingers caught), and changed Clay's direction using it. No way you can argue that.

I think the penalty really had an effect on the rest of the game. Minn obviously felt that was going to be watched. A play or two later, the announcers commented that 'half the state of Minnesota was blocking Mathews' and showed that Minnesota had three guys on him! TE off the LOS, then the back chipped him. After he got by that, the Loadholt engaged him. THEN he got the pressure :lol:

Can't tell me dedicating all those bodies to occupying Mathews didn't affect their offensive gameplan. A lot nicer when you can do as we did, tell our LT to take care of business and be done with it.

Guiness
10-25-2010, 04:54 PM

I can agree with what you wrote and it's your perogative to see it anyway you choose. By no means am I apologizing for a "W".

I'm just not celebrating it like Rogers and many here. To quote Silversten on JSO

There were all kinds of reasons the Packers should have lost, but they didn't.

I would say if you are a glass half empty kind of person, you would say that the Vikings did more to lose that the Packers did. Which amounts to a backhanded compliment, we screwed up less then they did?

Kiwon
10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
The Packers and Farve are still the NFL's biggest draws (i.e.- moneymakers for the League).

Big ratings for the game:

"NBC just released the overnight ratings for last night's Sunday Night Football game between the Minnesota Vikings vs. Green Bay Packers. It scored a big 16.0/25 rating, the best for an October NFL primetime game in 12 years, since, coincidentally, another matchup between the Minnesota and Green Bay on Oct. 5 1998 on ABC. This was the third-best SNF overnight rating ever, up 54% from last year's Week 7 game."