Look at the guys who's contracts will be up next year:

Brandon Jackson
Korey Hall
Donald Driver edit: nevermind
James Jones
Jason Spitz
Daryn Colledge
Cullen Jenkins
Johnny Jollyedit; this year won't count. He'll be back if we want him.
Desmond Bishop
Tramon Williams
Atari Bigby
Mason Crosby

Also include AJ Hawk who is due to make what might as well be a billion dollars next year. The Packers are sure to lose at least a few of these guys. Some of them are fully replaceable: Jackson, Colledge, Spitz, Crosby, Jolly?, Bigby? But no matter how you swing it I doubt we'll be as deep of a team as we are this year. Losing Jenkins or Tramon would be major blows to the defense IMO. Hawk, Bishop, Spitz, and Jones are all high quality backups who could most likely start on other teams, who thinks they'll stay here instead?

I'd be interested to read how you think this will play out. Who walks away from the Pack?

bobblehead
10-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Brandon Jackson
Korey Hall
Donald Driver
James Jones
Jason Spitz
Daryn Colledge
Cullen Jenkins
Johnny Jolly
Desmond Bishop
Tramon Williams
Atari Bigby
Mason Crosby

Also include AJ Hawk who is due to make what might as well be a billion dollars next year. The Packers are sure to lose at least a few of these guys. Some of them are fully replaceable: Jackson, Colledge, Spitz, Crosby, Jolly?, Bigby? But no matter how you swing it I doubt we'll be as deep of a team as we are this year. Losing Jenkins or Tramon would be major blows to the defense IMO. Hawk, Bishop, Spitz, and Jones are all high quality backups who could most likely start on other teams, who thinks they'll stay here instead?

I'd be interested to read how you think this will play out. Who walks away from the Pack?

I think if the CBA gets worked out we will sign a majority of them. TT saw no reason to hand out signing bonuses and contracts until he knows what system he will be operating under.

Guys I think are vital to resign...

Jones, Jenkins, and williams. we will sign many more, but those guys are musts.

Cheesehead Craig
10-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Crosby's replaceable? By whom? He's a must sign.

Lurker64
10-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Didn't the Packers extend Driver before the season, and isn't Jolly still bound by his 2010 RFA tender?

Joemailman
10-25-2010, 11:34 AM
They've already extended Driver. It's my understanding that Jolly will still have a year left in his contract, because he's suspended for this year by the league. Can anyone verify or refute?

ThunderDan
10-25-2010, 11:36 AM

Brandon Jackson
Korey Hall
Donald Driver
James Jones
Jason Spitz
Daryn Colledge
Cullen Jenkins
Johnny Jolly
Desmond Bishop
Tramon Williams
Atari Bigby
Mason Crosby

The Packers shouldn't have a problem signing BJack, Hall, Driver (didn't we just extend him), Spitz, Jolly (didn't think he gets credit for this year so he should be under contact since he signed his tender).

James Jones will be interesting. He really hasn't shown more than flashes of his potential. Not sure the interest around the league.

Colledge will depend on his play this year if we want to resign and how much it will cost.

Jenkins could be very costly to sign. I think he is showing his worth this year even with a broken hand. Let's get him signed this year.

Bishop could elevate his status if he continues to play well this year. He might not want to be back in GB anyway.

TWill is going to get paid. You don't let young CB walk when you have 2 30+ CBs on the roster.

Bigby not an issue with the foot unless he lights it up after he gets back. Otherwise maybe you let him go and give it to Burnett.

Crosby will be back.

bobblehead
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Crosby's replaceable? By whom? He's a must sign.

I know a lot of kickers who can miss 4 straight game winners.

HarveyWallbangers
10-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Didn't Driver get an extension through 2012?

Jolly would have his 2010 contract reinstated for next year.

I'm not sure all of these guys will be FAs--depends on what new CBA is signed. If it stays under the system they used this year, won't a lot of these players lose their UFA status?

Joemailman
10-25-2010, 11:40 AM
I expect Spitz to be gone. Either Jolly or Jenkins will not be here. I don't expect Bigby to be here. Brandon Jackson will be an interesting one. If Starks shows something this year, there will be a numbers game to deal with at RB. Grant, Jackson, Nance, Starks, Porter.

3irty1
10-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Brandon Jackson
Korey Hall
Donald Driver edit: nevermind
James Jones
Jason Spitz
Daryn Colledge
Cullen Jenkins
Johnny Jollyedit; this year won't count. He'll be back if we want him.
Desmond Bishop
Tramon Williams
Atari Bigby
Mason Crosby

You guys are right on about Driver and Jolly. I fixed it.

No matter what happens with the CBA, the Packers are to that point where they have to make tough decisions about young players. I think that Jenkins ends up being tagged and traded, Spitz walks, Bishop walks, Hawk walks, Bigby may walk as well.

Jenkins could draw serious cabbage and with Raji and Pickett making bank it could be hard to keep Jenkins. Sad because I think he's a monster but with Jolly returning and Neal/Wilson coming on strong, perhaps we can live without him.

Spitz is too good to sit on the bench. He'll go someplace where he can make an impact.

Bishop's frustration over not being able to find playing time in the Packers' deep LB core is well documented. Its a shame as he looks like the best out of the group but the Packers are already committed to Barnett and Chillar. I wish there was a way to get this done but Bishop is too talented to play only special teams.

Hawk is a complete linebacker and he knows it. He's not happy about losing time to Chillar and will go somewhere else, probably a team with a 4-3 to revive his career.

Bigby needs dollars and its not even for sure that he'd start over Burnett when both are healthy. Peprah is showing that he's good enough to win with. Some team will pick him up and he'll be worth every penny.

Jones is a big part of the future in my opinion but it wouldn't surprise me to see someone give him too much money. He's a mold of player that's in high demand: a poor man's Boldin. I think/hope he'll be resigned.

The bottom line is that the team can't improve every single year. Eventually we are going to put some very nice FA's on the market. The Packers are going to need to keep hitting in the draft in order to keep the roster loaded although I suspect depth like the Packers are showing now is truly rare.

red
10-25-2010, 12:47 PM
i think we ride b-jack the rest of the season then tag him and trade him. he's young and if he show some promise we should be able to get a mid round pick for him. and we really don't need him with grant coming back and starks and nance on the roster

colledge can be let go any day now and i wouldn't mind. he's by far the weakest part of the o-line

gotta keep crosby, bigby should be cheap to resign unless we decide we like the other safties as backup

gotta keep tramon. he's had a great year and will cost a lot though

JJ shouldn't cost that much, neither should bishop

Fritz
10-25-2010, 12:55 PM
it would suck to be a GM. I saw a similarly long list last year, and the year before. And mostly TT has been keeping guys, but every year that mountain looks harder and harder to climb.

mmmdk
10-25-2010, 01:13 PM
All I know for sure is that Tramon is a must sign player; others will follow but some won't come back...I'm stating the obvious :lol:

Tony Oday
10-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Brandon Jackson: He doesnt look great but still could be a third down guy but I think he could get a better chance somewhere else to maybe start

Korey Hall bye bye

James Jones he is our number three guy and with DD in SHARP decline this year he could be number 2 before we know it...he will be back

Jason Spitz Signed

Daryn Colledge traded draft day

Cullen Jenkins we need to keep him and from all accounts he likes it here and I think there is enough cash to keep him

Desmond Bishop he doesnt like here does he? I think he has a vaunted view of himself, though he played like a star last night, and he wants to start and I dont see that here

Tramon Williams must sign guy

Atari Bigby bye bye

Mason Crosby I hope bye bye but damn the kid has a leg!

Lurker64
10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
I think you want to try to get Tramon extended before the season ends. The rest I think can wait.

HarveyWallbangers
10-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Honestly, the only two guys I'd really care about losing are Jenkins and Williams, and Jenkins may be expendable if Neal comes back healthy--although I'd like both for depth purposes. I'd also like to keep Crosby and Jones, but I wouldn't break the bank on them. I'm not overly concerned about the rest. They are mostly JAGs.