PDA

View Full Version : Are you kidding me....Jets off a bye week?

bobblehead
10-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I just noticed that we are getting the Jets off their bye week. Ok, some things are a fluke, but getting 3 teams off their bye week out of 4. Are you fucking kidding me....someone call the NFL and tell them to get a fucking scheduling clue. (on the road no less in 2 of them).

hoosier
10-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Teams can come out of the bye flat as a pancake too. Why do think the NFL would conspire against the Packers in its schedulemaking? Isn't that a little like saying that the refs always have it in for the Pack...until a game like last night when the Vikings apparently got hurt by bad calls more than GB?

gbpackfan
10-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Well, the refs missed some calls that would have helped GB as well. Frank Walker CLEARLY ran out of bounds before deflecting the pass that was picked off in the endzone. You can't run out of bounds and be the first player that touches the ball. There is an official along the sideline to catch things like that. And Walker was all the way into the white. Can't imagine how a ref could miss that. Percy Harvin was clearly out of bounds twice too. And the NFL needed instant replay to get the call right even though there were officials right on top of the play(s). If you look at the officiating as a fan of the game, take the Packer fan out of it, the refs were brutal last night. Both teams got screwed. But oh well, nothing can be done about it.

3irty1
10-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Matchup nightmare IMO. We'll have to score on defense to win this one.

3irty1
10-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Who is the third team anyways? The Dolphins, Jets, and ?

I think its just two teams off their bye weeks.

denverYooper
10-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Who is the third team anyways? The Dolphins, Jets, and ?

I think its just two teams off their bye weeks.

The buzz was that we played Washington off of a bye but the schedule shows that to be false.

steve823
10-25-2010, 01:44 PM

Their pass defense is 22nd and their run defense is 6th. Obviously stats don't say it all ,but the Jets won a lot of game that could have gone either way. Revis is playing pretty bad, injury or not. They depend on their blitzes a lot so we can easily take advantage of this with screens or our WR's winning one on one battles with their CB's.

3irty1
10-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Their pass defense is 22nd and their run defense is 6th. Obviously stats don't say it all ,but the Jets won a lot of game that could have gone either way. Revis is playing pretty bad, injury or not. They depend on their blitzes a lot so we can easily take advantage of this with screens or our WR's winning one on one battles with their CB's.

Yeah I meant the other side of the ball. MN did whatever they wanted in the running game last night and we're about to play a team that is every bit as good. Defensively they are pretty good too but I honestly don't think their secondary is any better than ours even if Peprah plays. McCarthy always seems to find a way to run it on a good run defense though.

The matchup is similar to that of the Dolphins only the Jets cornerbacks and OL are a tad better IMO.

The Leaper
10-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Jets have a huge edge in this game...we are still incredibly beat up as a team...the Jets will be well rested and well prepared and at home.

The Packer offense is going to have to show up for us to have any chance to win. Even then, the chances will be slim.

At this point, I'm fine with a loss to the Jets...as long as we get the W against the Cowboys the week after.

steve823
10-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Yeah I meant the other side of the ball. MN did whatever they wanted in the running game last night and we're about to play a team that is every bit as good. Defensively they are pretty good too but I honestly don't think their secondary is any better than ours even if Peprah plays. McCarthy always seems to find a way to run it on a good run defense though.

The matchup is similar to that of the Dolphins only the Jets cornerbacks and OL are a tad better IMO.

That's why I'm really hoping Jenkins and Picket are able to play. Even one of them will help us a lot.

Joemailman
10-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Packers aren't gonna win them all, and losses to AFC teams hurt the least. If the Packers are going to have a chance, they need to be efficient on offense. Jets will probably have the ball at least 60% of the game, so the Packers have to make their scoring chances count.

The Leaper
10-25-2010, 10:21 PM
That's why I'm really hoping Jenkins and Picket are able to play. Even one of them will help us a lot.

Honestly, I'd rather have guys sit out for the Jets game if they aren't at least 85% healthy. We are extremely thin on the defensive DL...we need guys to get healthy for the long term. Continuing to play guys at 75% and risking reinjury (like Pickett experienced yesterday) is foolish...it winds up putting you right where Green Bay was yesterday, playing Zombo at DE. Chalk up the Jets game as a likely loss and save your ammo for the games that matter most if the guys still aren't healthy.

A week of rest next week...one game against the Cowboys...another off week after that. For guys with lingering injuries, that would be the best case scenario at going into the stretch run at least marginally healthy. We need the games against DAL, ATL and MIN far more than we need the NYJ game.

bobblehead
10-26-2010, 05:01 AM

Honestly, I'd rather have guys sit out for the Jets game if they aren't at least 85% healthy. We are extremely thin on the defensive DL...we need guys to get healthy for the long term. Continuing to play guys at 75% and risking reinjury (like Pickett experienced yesterday) is foolish...it winds up putting you right where Green Bay was yesterday, playing Zombo at DE. Chalk up the Jets game as a likely loss and save your ammo for the games that matter most if the guys still aren't healthy.

A week of rest next week...one game against the Cowboys...another off week after that. For guys with lingering injuries, that would be the best case scenario at going into the stretch run at least marginally healthy. We need the games against DAL, ATL and MIN far more than we need the NYJ game.

that was my sentiment against miami.

Tarlam!
10-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Bullshit. Fans pay money to see the stars. Companies advertise their products during games to reach the biggest audience possible.

Players in the NFL are professionels and are paid accordingly. Many, if not most, would be illegal drug salesmen on street corners if the USA didn't have the greatest system around.

ThunderDan
10-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Bullshit. Fans pay money to see the stars. Companies advertise their products during games to reach the biggest audience possible.

Players in the NFL are professionels and are paid accordingly. Many, if not most, would be illegal drug salesmen on street corners if the USA didn't have the greatest system around.

Like the preseason when the healthy starters sit on the bench? Yeah...us season ticket holders have to buy those games also to keep our tickets.

But to the real point, I wouldn't find letting guys get healed over the next week and a half, play Dallas, got another week and a half to rest. Losing an AFC game doesn't hurt our tiebreakers nearly as bad as a loss to an NFC Team would.

MichiganPackerFan
10-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Teams can come out of the bye flat as a pancake too. Why do think the NFL would conspire against the Packers in its schedulemaking? Isn't that a little like saying that the refs always have it in for the Pack...until a game like last night when the Vikings apparently got hurt by bad calls more than GB?

I don't know about a conspiracy, but we've had several games with unbalanced calls. It's open season on Rodgers for helmet to helmet hits, Clay can be held at will by the facemask. These are obvious calls that have only been going one way.

steve823
10-26-2010, 12:03 PM

I agree, but you also have to give your team the best chance to win. The Jets have the best O-line when it comes to run blocking and LT is looking great again. Their offense revolves around the run.

I mean if we are playing O-linemen and skinny lb's as our d-linemen I can easily see the Jets running it 40 to 50 times against us, especially since we have no depth there.

MadScientist
10-26-2010, 12:23 PM
At this point, I'm fine with a loss to the Jets...as long as we get the W against the Cowboys the week after.

Shame, shame, shame. What would Vince say to that statement? You should never be fine with a loss.

Tarlam!
10-26-2010, 06:34 PM
What would Vince say to that statement? You should never be fine with a loss.

:lol:

The Jets are getting a lot of love from the pundits. If the Pack could knock 'em over, that would send a message. I say, play to win!

TennesseePackerBacker
10-26-2010, 06:57 PM

Jesus, I can't believe you're really talking about just giving the Jets the W. I don't know what you've seen to make you think the Jets are world-beaters but I'd really love to know. The Sanchize certainly isn't one of the elite quarterbacks in this league. Yea, they might run over us, but so did the Vikings (as I predicted, as a blind man could) and how did that work out for us?

I fully believe this game against the Jets will be ultra-competitive. Probably another 3-7 point win or loss for us. And yes, I see your point about how the AFC game is no where near as meaningful to us as those three NFC games, but that doesn't mean the Packers don't try everything to win.

Like someone stated in another thread, I've seen plenty of teams come out completely flat off of a bye-week. The Jets game will be much closer than many of you think. I think we win again, especially if our offensive line plays any where near the level they did against the Vikings.

Tarlam!
10-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Nice, rousing post TPB! Pass the Kool-Aid!

I agree fully with the sentiment!

Joemailman
10-26-2010, 07:19 PM

Jesus, I can't believe you're really talking about just giving the Jets the W. I don't know what you've seen to make you think the Jets are world-beaters but I'd really love to know. The Sanchize certainly isn't one of the elite quarterbacks in this league. Yea, they might run over us, but so did the Vikings (as I predicted, as a blind man could) and how did that work out for us?

I fully believe this game against the Jets will be ultra-competitive. Probably another 3-7 point win or loss for us. And yes, I see your point about how the AFC game is no where near as meaningful to us as those three NFC games, but that doesn't mean the Packers don't try everything to win.

Like someone stated in another thread, I've seen plenty of teams come out completely flat off of a bye-week. The Jets game will be much closer than many of you think. I think we win again, especially if our offensive line plays any where near the level they did against the Vikings.

I agree this game should be competitive. However, I agree with Leaper that it doesn't make sense to try to rush guys too early back from injury just to try to win one game.

The Packers are likely to give up a lot of yards Sunday. If they can toughen up in the red zone and force the Jets to settle mainly for field goals instead of touchdowns, they have a chance in this one.

denverYooper
10-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Fuggem.

The thing about this Packers of these last 2 years is that they often play to the level of their competition (aside from the 2 Vikings games last year) for better and for worse. That last game was a gut check for the Pack, now they have a little confidence too.

They lost to two pretty good teams the two weeks previous. The Dolphins are a pretty good football team. Washington is also making a case. I think our defense is underrated, despite the injuries. It seems a combination of some backups being better than people realize, guys playing their asses off, and the coaches doing a hell of a job of putting them in positions to keep mistakes from getting out of control. Let them run it. They'll get yards but will be limited to 20 points.

If we run out of D Linemen we might be in trouble. If the offense sucks again and shits the bed on 3rd downs, we may be in trouble. If Special Teams gives up multiple big returns and/or points, we're in trouble. But if those guys on the D Line hold out, offensive rhythm continues, and penalties stay down Green Bay wins outright.

channtheman
10-26-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm predicting another blowout loss to the tune of 31-10 Jets.

The Leaper
10-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Shame, shame, shame. What would Vince say to that statement? You should never be fine with a loss.

Vince didn't have salary caps or a 53 man roster...and he also never faced a well rested, well prepared opponent coming off a bye week.

This ain't 1960.

imscott72
10-26-2010, 10:10 PM
We're going to get smoked. I just hope no one gets seriously hurt.

Joemailman
10-26-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm predicting another blowout loss to the tune of 31-10 Jets.

It worked last week! :D

Tarlam!
10-26-2010, 10:56 PM
:jack:

OK, the original premise of the thread has now morphed into a Jets Week thread, which is cool by me. But rather than start another thread, I'll throw this thought out to you here.

Why can't the NFL have a schedule where only two weeks of the season have byes? Like, week 7 & 8 or week 8 & 9, resting 2 AFL and NFC division respectively?

My ex-assistant could have done that between painting her forefinger and pinky!

Little Whiskey
10-27-2010, 06:57 AM
:jack:

OK, the original premise of the thread has now morphed into a Jets Week thread, which is cool by me. But rather than start another thread, I'll throw this thought out to you here.

Why can't the NFL have a schedule where only two weeks of the season have byes? Like, week 7 & 8 or week 8 & 9, resting 2 AFL and NFC division respectively?

My ex-assistant could have done that between painting her forefinger and pinky!

think of the amount of lost revenue in those two weeks. half the teams would be off one week and the other half the next week. you could potetially have half of the country not watching football one week and the other half the next week.

if you mix them up, you have a better chance of no let off. since im an nfc north follower. if the pack doesn't play, i will probably watch the bears or viks or lions. if none of those teams are playing, i might not watch much football that weekend. ......and i'd be pissed!

Tarlam!
10-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Great points, LW.

mission
10-27-2010, 09:50 PM
There's no way we can stop their offense with all our injuries and AR will have an impossible time with their secondary. 31-21 loss if we're lucky.

(sticking with my doom and gloom from last week also)