PDA

View Full Version : How far have you come in a year???

RashanGary
08-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Many here have watched football for many more years than myself. Wist, SOV, Nutz, HW, Bretsky, HH, Patler, MJ and others have far more knowledge than I *big surprise*. Fortunately this is a place where I can get all of that knowledge in fast forward. JS was my first forum ever. Looking back at myself over a year ago, I knew nothing. I was an average fan as far as knowledge. Thanks to those listed above and a whole bunch of others that could go on and on, I've made huge strides in football knowledge. I'm kind of like a second year player really. I put me, APB, Partial, BF4 in the same kind of boat. We have decent views but we havn't seen enough to really have a solid base. We have a good start and someday we'll carry a forum but right now, I'd still be a complete moron if it wasn't for the experienced posters.

Anyway...Thanks to those who bring 20 + years of football knowledge. Without you guys this place would have nothing. I was just thinking about how little I knew after reading my Mike Hawkins post from JS a year ago. I would never say something like that now and even some of the shit I say today I would probably not say 2 years from now. I was just thinking about how much I've learned and started to cross my mind how it happened. I'm pretty sure it was the other posters who know so much that sometimes they just don't know who made the difference.

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Kissin' ass will get you far. I've actually regressed over the last year. I think old age is creeping in.

RashanGary
08-06-2006, 03:37 PM
I didn't really intend to kiss ass. I just believe in giving credit where credit is do.

mraynrand
08-06-2006, 05:41 PM
I have more knee pain than a year ago, but I can still run 7 miles in under 49 minutes. Oh, you were talking about Packer knowledge. every year I forget more about the past and have to be reminded by someone who isn't senile. I've changed my evaluation of Sherman as a GM from grade C to grade C -. How's that for progress?

hurleyfan
08-06-2006, 06:28 PM
I have more knee pain than a year ago, but I can still run 7 miles in under 49 minutes. Oh, you were talking about Packer knowledge. every year I forget more about the past and have to be reminded by someone who isn't senile. I've changed my evaluation of Sherman as a GM from grade C to grade C -. How's that for progress?
mray,
I guess going backwards isn't such a shock when it comes to Sherman :mrgreen:

RashanGary
08-06-2006, 07:32 PM
C-...

I'll go D+. He did a good job robbing from the future to scrap together reasonable teams right then. Matt Millen is worse.

Deputy Nutz
08-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Have you realized that you have to sell your soul to the devil and tell your wife to kiss your ass from August to Febuary? And then there is the all holy draft to prepare for. Truthfully I still haven't recovered from the draft.

red
08-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I've actually regressed over the last year. I think old age is creeping in.

i was going to say the same thing. is it possible to go senile before turning 30?

i am pretty sure i've lost a lot more brain cells over the last year, so that could explain a lot

woodbuck27
08-06-2006, 08:08 PM
That's really very cool GregJennings.

I have grown immensely in the past year from my experience with all the people that were clued into coming to this outstanding Packer forum. We are still in OUR infant stage, and will grow as time pass's.

I try my best to read almost all that the posters lay down her, and it's all so very interesting. Alot is a real gas as well.Very funny. I laugh outloud at my keyboard alot. Great hobby.

I really enjoy the extracurricular posting on Romper Room, where we discuss all sorts of valued topics and also the near garbage can stuff :mrgreen: and much more.

This is a valuable place to come to, to learn from so many and to grow as a person.

It's all very GOOD. Thanks PACKERRATS.

mraynrand
08-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Many here have watched football for many more years than myself. Wist, SOV, Nutz, HW, Bretsky, HH, Patler, MJ and others have far more knowledge than I *big surprise*.

-----

You know, I'm risking getting some anger from SOV for this, but I don't think of him so much as a guy who knows a ton about football, but as a guy who has extremely strong and implacable opinions.

Harvey and Patler are the guys I learn the most from on this forum.
Then there's Wist - Some think the glass is half-full, others half-empty. Wist doesn't think there is a glass. Still, he watches tape, like me, and I appreciate his views.

son of a vic
08-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Do I know defensive and offensive schemes better than anyone else? Of course not. Can I bring myself to admit when the team blows? Yes I can. Do I always look at the negative side of things? No, I do not. Is there reason for cautious optimism this year? Yes, because Sherman is finally gone, and we can get out of the mud, we've been spinning our wheels in the last few years.
Just because I don't break down film, or masquerade as a Packer scout,
doesn't mean I don't have football I.Q. I base my thoughts on what I see played on the field during live action. I don't project a player's regular season performance, on making a good catch at practice, or scoring a T.D. during a light hitting scrimmage.

If some think I enlighten their football knowledge, that's great. If some think I'm an opinionated a-hole, that's alright too.

Deputy Nutz
08-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Do I know defensive and offensive schemes better than anyone else? Of course not. Can I bring myself to admit when the team blows? Yes I can. Do I always look at the negative side of things? No, I do not. Is there reason for cautious optimism this year? Yes, because Sherman is finally gone, and we can get out of the mud, we've been spinning our wheels in the last few years.
doesn't mean I don't have football I.Q. I base my thoughts on what I see played on the field during live action. I don't project a player's regular season performance, on making a good catch at practice, or scoring a T.D. during a light hitting scrimmage.

If some think I enlighten their football knowledge, that's great. If some think I'm an opinionated a-hole, that's alright too.

Vic you have been called out buddy! Don't call me buddy. what? Anyways you make some very valid points in this statement. Do I rewatch the tape of the game? Yes how else would I truly be able to create Winners and Losers? I guess I could just make shit up, but that isn't going to make our articles here on PackerRats reliable, and that is what we are trying to do here. We are trying to sneak into the vast ocean of media that covers the Packers. Hopefully we are going to experience a little success in 2006.

RashanGary
08-06-2006, 09:04 PM
My point is that the people who've watched the most football have the most to draw from. I personally learn best from discussion so this is the perfect place for me to get less retarded when it comes to football. That is my two cents anyway. I've watched football my whole life and it's funny that I learned more in 1 year listening to everyone share what they know than I did in the previous 15 or 20 years of watching, granted I started when I was 5 or 6 so that isn't really quality time.

MJZiggy
08-06-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm flattered that you've lumped me in with the rest of these guys, Nick (currently masquerading as GJ) but I don't hold a candle to them as far as knowledge goes. I'm more of a big-picture kinda woman.

Joemailman
08-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Obviously, we have all come a long way, since last year we were all still at JSO. This was the first year I watched the NFL draft while participating in an online forum, which I will always rwgard as a major milestone.

Patler
08-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Harvey and Patler are the guys I learn the most from on this forum.

I'm flattered by this and some of the other comments. :oops:

There are an awful lot of people with extremely good football knowledge on here, even those who stubbornly hold to opinions that are wrong (i.e. different than mine)!

Note: I had typed a rather long (not surprising I suppose) philosophical piece about what you learn and how you change as a sports fan of long standing. I deleted it before submitting. Who am I to judge how others may have changed or will change? It was how I changed, and maybe not characteristic of others.

SkinBasket
08-06-2006, 10:12 PM
My point is that the people who've watched the most football have the most to draw from.

That isn't necessarily true. I've watched for over 20 years, and I don't have anything enlightening to say. I used to be a bastion of football knowledge, then I decided drinking was more fun.

Bretsky
08-06-2006, 10:24 PM

Greenday,

That is huge progress; I think when we started arguing about Sherman the GM over at JS you thought he was in the B- range.

Cheers,
B

Bretsky
08-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Kissin' ass will get you far. I've actually regressed over the last year. I think old age is creeping in.

You've been going down the tubes ever since that fantasy loss :wink: :mrgreen:

GrnBay007
08-06-2006, 10:27 PM

He would have hung it up for good if I had beat him. :razz:

Bretsky
08-06-2006, 10:28 PM

He would have hung it up for good if I had beat him. :razz:

Yes, I think he would have. See, I'm different.

I like a good beatin by a lady :wink:

mraynrand
08-06-2006, 11:30 PM

Greenday,

That is huge progress; I think when we started arguing about Sherman the GM over at JS you thought he was in the B- range.

Cheers,
B

Who is this greenday you speak of? First APB, now you. LOL

I go by the three year rule for draft picks, so Sherman's 2004 class is coming up on year three. The grade went from C to C - because of Washington and the likely demise of B.J. Sander. You have to pick more than a handful of guys that actually play in the NFL to be considered a decent GM.

mraynrand
08-06-2006, 11:34 PM

Reading your post, I think you agreed with me! If you noticed, I didn't say that I disliked your posts, just that they have more of a strong-willed opinion nature versus an analytical 'Xs and Os' slant. Keep 'em comin'

woodbuck27
08-07-2006, 09:23 AM

Greenday,

Cheers,
B

Who is this greenday you speak of? First APB, now you. LOL

I go by the three year rule for draft picks, so Sherman's 2004 class is coming up on year three. The grade went from C to C - because of Washington and the likely demise of B.J. Sander. You have to pick more than a handful of guys that actually play in the NFL to be considered a decent GM.

Don't give up on BJ Sander just yet mraynrand. . . nawwwww - he's gone.