PDA

View Full Version : Jets Week

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Jets may rotate Cromartie, Revis on top receivers

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 28, 2010 9:59 AM ET
The Jets are 5-1 despite a defense that has been inconsistent, especially against the pass.

Darrelle Revis has gone from having a "once-in-a-lifetime year for any corner" to being injured or a liability when he's played. After a week to get his hamstring healthy, the Jets say Revis Island won't be so easy to get to this week.

That doesn't necessarily mean Revis will match up with the opposition's best receiver all game. Antonio Cromartie expects to rotate with Revis against top guys the rest of the year.

"I anticipate that," Cromartie told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "We feel we have the best cornerback tandem in the league. Both of us are basically No. 1 corners."

After a rough Week One, Cromartie has acquitted himself very well with the Jets. But if Revis is anywhere close to his 2009 form, he should be the guy trying to erase top wideouts.

We'll find out how healthy Revis really is this week based on his assignment and effectiveness against Greg Jennings and the Packers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/28/jets-may-rotate-cromartie-revis-on-top-receivers/

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Preview: Green Bay Packers at Jets

Coming into this season, this week's game in New Meadowlands Stadium against the Jets looked like a tough matchup for the Green Bay Packers. Now it's looking like a nightmare. While the Packers just added their 10th player to injured reserve, the Jets are rested after their bye week, and Rex Ryan says star CB Darrelle Revis is "back to 100%." Although their lack of confidence in him against No. 1 receivers might leave that question open.

The Packers have signed three new linebackers this week to try and plug the holes in the dike, and claimed NT Howard Green off waivers (ironically from the Jets) to help the defensive line. Apparently he had quite the road trip after he was told to get to Green Bay. Depth in the front seven has been a major problem as they've now lost to suspension or injury three defensive lineman (DE Johnny Jolly, DE Justin Harrell, and DE Mike Neal) and three linebackers (LB Nick Barnett, LB Brad Jones, and LB Brady Poppinga). And if neither DE Ryan Pickett (ankle) or DE Cullen Jenkins (calf) are able to play, and it doesn't look good, then the only defensive lineman available on Sunday who I even expected to make the team out of training camp is NT B.J. Raji. DE C.J. Wilson has played great, but it didn't seem like there would be room on the roster for the rookie 7th round pick a couple months ago.

The good news is that QB Aaron Rodgers should have some success against their defense. According to Football Outsiders, the Jets pass defense is ranked 23rd overall so far this season. Some of that has to do with the injury to Revis, but he's not going to help improve their low sack total (only 13 sacks in their first 6 games). Rodgers remains very dangerous if he's given time to throw. Despite the loss of TE Jermichael Finley, and the quad injury that has rendered WR Donald Driver a spectator recently, Rodgers had a good game last week (295 yards and 2 TDs) against an underrated Vikings pass defense. The Jets remain a very hard team to run against, but it's been obvious all season that Mike McCarthy has little interest in calling too many running plays. The offense scored 21 points last week against the Vikings, and it's not unreasonable to expect something similar against the Jets.

The real bad news is that Jets are very good at running the ball, and the Packers are almost down to their last defensive lineman (as detailed above). They've proved to everyone that RB LaDainian Tomlinson isn't done (he just needed a better offensive line to run behind). Dom Capers is a very good defensive coach, but he can't stop the run if he doesn't have the players. QB Mark Sanchez isn't the big threat, though he might have a good game if the Packers are forced to bring a safety up in run support. Sanchez has a nifty 9:2 TD to INT ratio, but he's only completed 55% of his passes (that's QB Matt Moore territory) with a poor 6.2 yards per pass attempt.

The Packers have allowed 4.7 ypc this season which is similar to the 4.8 ypc allowed by the Bills. While the Packers have lost the players needed for their run defense, the Bills never had them in the first place, but the results should remain the same. When the Jets ran over the Bills on October 3rd, they had 49 carries for 273 yards (5.6 ypc) and their offense held onto the ball for over 40 minutes. The Packers have already been on the wrong side of two games (vs. the Lions and vs. the Dolphins) when their defense couldn't get off the field and the opponent dominated the time of possession. The Lions almost ran twice as many offensive plays as the Packers.

Of course the Packers can win, but they'll do it only if they stop making all the mistakes that have plagued them all season long. They have to win the turnover battle (with no more than 1 turnover themselves), limit their penalties, and at least have the special teams unit hold the Jets to a draw. Unfortunately, they've not been doing these things. Jets 26, Packers 21.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2010/10/29/1779252/preview-green-bay-packers-at-jets

Tony Oday
10-29-2010, 09:06 AM
I think we can win this game simply because we have AR and I think B Jack gets 80 and a TD. If we can hold LT to about the same production I think we can stop their passing game and keep 8 in the box with CMIII chasing Sanchez like an illegal immigrant crossing the border. (it is a joke settle down.)

Tony Oday
10-29-2010, 09:58 AM
I also think this is a pivotal game for the Pack. We don't necessarily NEED a win but damn do we need a great showing. The Jets are a top AFC team and if we can put together a win that would go along way to silencing critics about this team and how well we have adapted due to injuries.

Tarlam!
10-29-2010, 10:04 AM
I also think this is a pivotal game for the Pack. We don't necessarily NEED a win but damn do we need a great showing. The Jets are a top AFC team and if we can put together a win that would go along way to silencing critics about this team and how well we have adapted due to injuries.

+1

I've felt the same way all week, despite posters calling to rest some of the walking wounded. I understand their thinking, but this a great opportunity to get another monkey off their back.

bobblehead
10-29-2010, 10:04 AM
If we beat the Jets in their own house with this lineup of JV players I think TT and MM deserve a TON of credit.

mmmdk
10-29-2010, 11:13 AM

+1

I've felt the same way all week, despite posters calling to rest some of the walking wounded. I understand their thinking, but this a great opportunity to get another monkey off their back.

Packers haven't played great or even good for 4 straight quaters yet; this game vs Jets will require 4 great quaters to win it.

So I agree, why not start with great 4Qs on sunday!? Go Packers!

mraynrand
10-29-2010, 11:14 AM
If we beat the Jets in their own house with this lineup of JV players I think TT and MM deserve a TON of credit.

going out on a limb there, aren'tcha

mmmdk
10-29-2010, 11:46 AM

And my good manners are due to milk and cookies?

gbgary
10-29-2010, 03:00 PM
if we can kick sanchez' ass we might have a chance. i think it's gonna be like the minn game.

mraynrand
10-29-2010, 03:26 PM

:?:

steve823
10-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Worst thing that can happen is that they grab an early lead. They're a team that's built to keep the lead. However, if we grab an early lead it could be trouble for them if we stop their run game.

LEWCWA
10-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Very pivital game and a tough one for sure. This Jets team is going to punch you in the mouth all day long. I believe the key to this game is keeping them out of the endzone and shutting down the run game early. Duh right! This is the week for the short quick passing game, kinda like what GB and the old man did too the Ravens team the year after they won the super bowl.....

Cheesehead Craig
10-29-2010, 04:58 PM
I think special teams will decide this game for us. Either a big return for or against us will end up being the turning point.

Joemailman
10-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Jets will probably be able to keep possession of the ball for about 35 minutes with their running game. If the Pack can force them to settle for field goals when they get close, a win is possible.

Packers 3-4 WR and TE's will be important because Revis can cover anyone and Driver isn't 100%. Jones, Nelson and Quarless have to come through.

Joemailman
10-29-2010, 05:10 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/106315273.html

Looks like there's a possibility Jenkins could play. Pickett looks unlikely. Al Harris is a NO. Bigby is a Maybe.

MJZiggy
10-29-2010, 06:35 PM

Looks like there's a possibility Jenkins could play. Pickett looks unlikely. Al Harris is a NO. Bigby is a Maybe.

Al's gotta be going nuts. He wanted to start at the beginning of the season.

steve823
10-29-2010, 06:47 PM

Al's gotta be going nuts. He wanted to start at the beginning of the season.

I don't understand why we can't just activate him. We have 1 open spot right now and we can work him in slowly. You would think he would be ready by now. Who knows.

mmmdk
10-29-2010, 06:53 PM

:?:

Uhm, ok! The oneliner point was : Does milk and cookies deserve the credit for my nice manners!? I thought it was fun - like TT & MM deserves...yada yada - can't win'em all :D

Bretsky
10-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Too much Vodka in the Kool Aide in here; this team is better than us and they are at home.

I'll be happy if we find a way to keep it close and AROD doesn't get carried off in a body bag

channtheman
10-29-2010, 09:39 PM
MM keeps right in line with starting the season out 4-4. I'm not sure this is a blowout loss, but I see us losing by double digits. Somewhere like 24-10.

Joemailman
10-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Too much Vodka in the Kool Aide in here; this team is better than us and they are at home.

I'll be happy if we find a way to keep it close and AROD doesn't get carried off in a body bag

From last week:

The last three weeks I've predicted Packer games wrong
This week I decided to pick the Vikes to try to change the luck
I feel obligated to pick against the Pack every week until they lose

Keep it up! :tup: :cow:

Actually, Jets pass rush isn't great. They blitz a lot because they have to. Hopefully, Arod and his receivers are on the same page and they can burn the blitz.

Bretsky
10-29-2010, 10:19 PM

From last week:

Actually, Jets pass rush isn't great. They blitz a lot because they have to. Hopefully, Arod and his receivers are on the same page and they can burn the blitz.

ah.....you are onto me....I didn't think anybody ready my posts :lol:

I owe it to the two or three who pay attention to stay negative :!:

channtheman
10-29-2010, 10:22 PM

From last week:

I've been doing the same thing (started with the Badgers against Ohio State) but I think now that it has been said it will not work.

Tarlam!
10-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Anyone got the line from Vegas? Those guys usually have a good idea.

steve823
10-30-2010, 03:10 AM

Jets -6

Tarlam!
10-30-2010, 03:12 AM

Jets -6

Sounds about right.

pbmax
10-30-2010, 07:29 AM

From last week:

Of course we are reading. But we didn't want to screw up your karma by commenting nicely on the doom and gloom message. :lol:

Patler tried this earlier this season and was not nearly as good as you. Keep up the good work/bad mood.

pbmax
10-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Packers win by 11. Screen game OK, but not as effective as against the Vikings. Holy Driver back in the saddle. Rodgers remembers the names of his receivers as he continues to recovers from the concussion.

Capers, Trgovac, Green and Moss continue working voodoo.

And you will read this nowhere else: the entire AFC is overrated. Packers can beat them all.

mraynrand
10-30-2010, 08:30 AM
And you will read this nowhere else: the entire AFC is overrated.

Especially the Bills

Willard
10-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Worst thing that can happen is that they grab an early lead. They're a team that's built to keep the lead. However, if we grab an early lead it could be trouble for them if we stop their run game.
I think this is the key. Grab an early lead and force the Jets into passing. If they get into their running game (40+ carries = 40 min TOP) the Pack is in trouble.

The Leaper
10-30-2010, 01:47 PM
And you will read this nowhere else: the entire AFC is overrated. Packers can beat them all.

If the AFC is overrated...then what is the NFC? Really overrated?

Jets are arguably a better team with both rosters at 100%...but with all our injuries, a road game, and the Jets having an extra week to prepare...I don't think we stand much of a chance. I'd be happy if we stay within 10 points.

Pugger
10-30-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm not all that confident either. :( They are healthy, at home coming off a bye and we are a shell of our former self with so many guys hurt and/or on IR. Let's hope they overlook us... :wink:

Brandon494
10-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Jets will dominate this game but it will be close, I say the Jets by 6.

LEWCWA
10-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Very pivital game and a tough one for sure. This Jets team is going to punch you in the mouth all day long. I believe the key to this game is keeping them out of the endzone and shutting down the run game early. Duh right! This is the week for the short quick passing game, kinda like what GB and the old man did too the Ravens team the year after they won the super bowl.....

Told ya'all they would win if they kept them outta the endzone!! :idea:

Lurker64
10-31-2010, 09:07 PM

It also helped that we kept them out of the goal posts.

pbmax
11-01-2010, 06:44 AM

Jets are arguably a better team with both rosters at 100%...but with all our injuries, a road game, and the Jets having an extra week to prepare...I don't think we stand much of a chance. I'd be happy if we stay within 10 points.
Just biding their time... :D

bobblehead
11-01-2010, 06:53 AM

Everything you say is correct. Everything I thought I knew about football is wrong. Having a great front 7 is so yesterday. We are lining up band aids and duct tape and shutting teams down more with every front 7 player that goes on the DL....dom is the smartest man in america.

vince
11-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Desmond Bishop is well on his way to proving me and a lot of others, including some coaches, wrong, and it's joyous to witness. I hope he can keep it up.

hoosier
11-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Desmond Bishop is well on his way to proving me and a lot of others, including some coaches, wrong, and it's joyous to witness. I hope he can keep it up.

Didn't get to see much of the game yesterday because of Halloween preps, but in the little I did watch I saw Bishop overcommit on a weakside running play and almost get toasted when LT suddenly cut and took it back to the strong side. Bishop managed to make a shoestring tackle but only after he had clearly abandoned his responsibility to defend the cutback. What did he do elsewhere that was positive?

channtheman
11-01-2010, 08:40 AM

I just figured it out! If the Packers can hold their opponent to 0 points every week, there is a good chance we can win! I've gotta find a way to get ahold of Coach McCarthy and let him in on this info.

MichiganPackerFan
11-01-2010, 11:31 AM

I just figured it out! If the Packers can hold their opponent to 0 points every week, there is a good chance we can win! I've gotta find a way to get ahold of Coach McCarthy and let him in on this info.

Apparently, it also helps if we score more points than our opponent.

channtheman
11-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Yes, yes! We need to let MM in on this info. :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
11-01-2010, 11:57 AM

I have time for a conference call around 3p today. Can you get that lined up?

mmmdk
11-01-2010, 02:47 PM

Too late - told him last week.

mmmdk
11-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Was this the first EVER road victory vs Jets?

mmmdk
11-01-2010, 10:26 PM

Anyone?

wootah
11-02-2010, 03:44 AM

I believe they said something like that at the beginning of the video summary on nfl.com.