PDA

View Full Version : Zero fun, Sir

SD GB fan
08-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Celebration penalty
The NFL has notified teams it will be cracking down on non-spontaneous end zone celebrations, and there was a perfect example of it Saturday night.

On the touchdown pass to Driver, Rod Gardner and Greg Jennings followed Driver into the stands with Lambeau Leaps and were flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. A Lambeau Leap by an individual player is not a penalty on its own, but it will be flagged if it becomes a group celebration.

:shock: u cant celebrate as a team? wow NFL is getting lame

son of a vic
08-06-2006, 04:13 PM
The "group" celebration rule has been in effect for many years. Where do you draw the line between celebrating, and in-your-face taunting? That is what the rule is for.

MadtownPacker
08-06-2006, 05:18 PM
The "group" celebration rule has been in effect for many years. Where do you draw the line between celebrating, and in-your-face taunting? That is what the rule is for.A group celebration for a TD shouldn't be a penalty unless it delays the game. A group celebration for a first down should be a penalty.

packrulz
08-06-2006, 05:20 PM
To me, Randy Moss wiping his ass on the goalpost is taunting, the guys were just celebrating. It is lame.

Rastak
08-06-2006, 06:28 PM
To me, Randy Moss wiping his ass on the goalpost is taunting, the guys were just celebrating. It is lame.

Yea, I hate that stuff....as a Viking fan I cringed when he did that.

I hate it.

MJZiggy
08-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Considering that this particular instance involved a couple of rookies going up for their first Lambeau Leaps, I don't think too much of a fuss needs to be made, it was a first opportunity. In a real game situation, however, the boys need to contain their exuberance, 'cause if it costs us, I'm sure M3 will dampen the celebration. But hey, it's still the preseason. If you had the opportunity to do a Leap, would you hold back?

The Shadow
08-06-2006, 06:55 PM
"If you had the opportunity to do a Leap, would you hold back?"

I think it's cooler when players act like they've been there before.

Rastak
08-06-2006, 06:59 PM
"If you had the opportunity to do a Leap, would you hold back?"

I think it's cooler when players act like they've been there before.

Indeed.......in this case, the Shadow knows.

red
08-06-2006, 07:29 PM
where do you draw the line? if one guy goes up into the crowd and the other guys go to the wall and grab him when he comes does, is that a team celebration?

if a guy scores and everyone runs over to him to give him a high five or a hug, isn't that a group celebration?

i thought it was great last night when the other guys flew into the stands. it doesn't waste anymore time then one guy doing it.

whats wrong with players celebrating as a team? its better then this "me first" bull shit that the whole sports world is evolving into

Rastak
08-06-2006, 07:35 PM
where do you draw the line? if one guy goes up into the crowd and the other guys go to the wall and grab him when he comes does, is that a team celebration?

if a guy scores and everyone runs over to him to give him a high five or a hug, isn't that a group celebration?

i thought it was great last night when the other guys flew into the stands. it doesn't waste anymore time then one guy doing it.

whats wrong with players celebrating as a team? its better then this "me first" bull shit that the whole sports world is evolving into

How about handing the ref the ball?

What's so terrible about that?

MJZiggy
08-06-2006, 07:50 PM
He left the ball behind...

red
08-06-2006, 07:50 PM
How about handing the ref the ball?

What's so terrible about that?

ah, the barry sanders way

nothing wrong with class

son of a vic
08-06-2006, 08:12 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the "motivator" of the "touchdown celebration," is the agent. More face time on espn and such, translates into bigger commision and advertising revenue.

4and12to12and4
08-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if in the NFL rulebook they actually had "Lambeau Leap" written in as an exception. I know the stuffies used more legalistic terminology, but a guy can dream can't he? :oops:

son of a vic
08-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Pertaining to the blessed soul, who scores for the green and gold,
he shall leap into the crowd, at his hearts' content,
There's no need to penalize, no reason to repent.
The Lambeau Leap is right up there with the "wave",
It gets better reviews, than than that clock wearin', ugly mother, Flavor Flave.

TPF
08-06-2006, 09:23 PM
NFL- NO FUN LEAGUE

woodbuck27
08-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Considering that this particular instance involved a couple of rookies going up for their first Lambeau Leaps, I don't think too much of a fuss needs to be made, it was a first opportunity. In a real game situation, however, the boys need to contain their exuberance, 'cause if it costs us, I'm sure M3 will dampen the celebration. But hey, it's still the preseason. If you had the opportunity to do a Leap, would you hold back?

Yea - like it didn't cost us the "W". Filll your boots boys! :mrgreen:

NewsBruin
08-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Nah, I like celebrations, and I like team celebrations better than individual ones. As long as they do not delay the game (so set a time limit), draw excessive attention to one's greatness, or disparage the other team, let the fans judge. Cripes.

And if someone wants to be Barry Sanders, more power to him.

Row 67
08-08-2006, 02:28 AM
NFL is screwing up on this, imo.

I love Chad Johnson. He was the best thing the NFL had going last year.

woodbuck27
08-08-2006, 08:35 AM
The "group" celebration rule has been in effect for many years. Where do you draw the line between celebrating, and in-your-face taunting? That is what the rule is for.A group celebration for a TD shouldn't be a penalty unless it delays the game. A group celebration for a first down should be a penalty.

I agree! The Lambeau leap is OUR's and it's part of all of us now.