PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Giants Playoff Game: McCarthy Miffed At Favre

pbmax
10-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Tom Pelissero gives a tantalizing hint of tension and disagreement during halftime of the 2007 Packers/Giants playoff game at Lambeau. Because he is an accredited member of the media and must protect his sources, he doesn't reveal the best part of the story (though he speculates it was the cold). So fans are left to guess: Why was McCarthy ticked at Favre?

But on a blustery night at Lambeau Field, where the game-time temperature was 1 below with a minus-23 wind chill, there were signs Favre was on the verge of freezing up. His body language suggested he simply didn't want to be on the field.

As those who witnessed the scene tell it, McCarthy was venting in a corner of the locker room when, in a particularly stressful moment, he blurted out something to the effect of, "If that guy weren't Brett Favre, I'd bench his ass!"

The rest of the story is well-documented. After halftime, Favre was 9-of-17 for 73 yards and threw two interceptions, including the overtime dagger into the hands of Giants cornerback Corey Webster that set up New York's winning field goal.
http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Being_Brett_Favre_may_only_get_him_one_m ore_shot102910

Now, while Brett looked like an old man in Chicago, he looked better against the Giants, though I am sure they were all frozen by the 4th Quarter. But what went wrong in the 1st half that cause McCarthy to be agitated at Favre?

Scott Campbell
10-30-2010, 11:07 PM
And people still talk about how tough he is. Bert's a pussy.

LEWCWA
10-31-2010, 12:25 AM
And people still talk about how tough he is. Bert's a pussy.

That makes a bunch of sense! He might be alot of things, but "pussy" isn't one of them.

You do have issues though! Your more infatuated with Brett than anyone here. Did he send pics to one of your wives too? Or did he send them to you with your wife and him in them?

channtheman
10-31-2010, 01:06 AM
I wish MM would have benched his ass. With Rodgers at the helm, we would have won that game.

Actually, didn't Rodgers break his foot against the Cowboys that year? Was Rodgers the number 2 in that playoff game by that point or was it someone else?

Tarlam!
10-31-2010, 04:14 AM
Well, I'm not gonna dig up the thread, but my exact comments were that he looked cold and non-motivated. I felt he was unable to play to his talent and, that ultimately, Bert cost the Packers the win.

Sounds like I wasn't the only one.

Pugger
10-31-2010, 09:07 AM
I wish MM would have benched his ass. With Rodgers at the helm, we would have won that game.

Actually, didn't Rodgers break his foot against the Cowboys that year? Was Rodgers the number 2 in that playoff game by that point or was it someone else?

I thought Aaron broke his foot at Lambeau against NE after they knocked out Favre in 2005...? :?:

Joemailman
10-31-2010, 09:23 AM

Rodgers broke his foot after replacing Favre against New England in 2006. He pulled a hamstring after the Dallas game in 2007.

channtheman
10-31-2010, 10:38 AM

Rodgers broke his foot after replacing Favre against New England in 2006. He pulled a hamstring after the Dallas game in 2007.

Ahhh, thank you for correcting me. So he would have been good to go. No doubt in my mind we would have won that game with Rodgers.

As Tar said, Favre did not look like he wanted to be there that game. The other cold game that year he didn't want to be at: at Chicago, where we lost 35-7.

Iron Mike
10-31-2010, 11:05 AM
If we had Bill Brasky at Quarterback, we would've won every single Super Bowl title.....

http://mrmillcity.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/bill-brasky.jpg

packerbacker1234
10-31-2010, 01:07 PM

Sour grapes my friend. Favre's first half, while not stellar, wasn't horrid. He had a long TD pass to driver, and the entire offense looked like crap. Bad portection, no run blocking, grant was completely shut down, WR's were having hard time getting open...

Nothing Favre did in the first half would of warrented a benching. It was his second half play that was bad, and if he had won in OT instead of throwing an int, we would all be saying that is why you don't bench him.

EVEN IF AR was available, why are you so bold as to say he wins that game? The whole offense played bad, and he has had timing issues with his WR's just this year, and it's his 3rd season starting.

So in a cold playoff game (of note, an experience AR still doesn't have) with a chance to go to the super bowl, and offensive line who couldn't block, and having no run game to speak of... AR may lose the game as well.

Remember it was the giants who kept us in it. They dominated us defensively and offensively.

Our offense looks pretty bad this year without a consistent run game. Throw a guy out there in that with no run game and -23 windchill with WR's that aren't getting open?

Yeah. AR rocks our socks off.

Doubtful.

Sure, chances are AR doesn't throw that OT pick, but would we even be in OT? Who knows. The what if game is silly, and to that point, Favre was having an MVP like season.

bobblehead
10-31-2010, 02:36 PM

Sour grapes my friend. Favre's first half, while not stellar, wasn't horrid. He had a long TD pass to driver, and the entire offense looked like crap. Bad portection, no run blocking, grant was completely shut down, WR's were having hard time getting open...

Nothing Favre did in the first half would of warrented a benching. It was his second half play that was bad, and if he had won in OT instead of throwing an int, we would all be saying that is why you don't bench him.

EVEN IF AR was available, why are you so bold as to say he wins that game? The whole offense played bad, and he has had timing issues with his WR's just this year, and it's his 3rd season starting.

So in a cold playoff game (of note, an experience AR still doesn't have) with a chance to go to the super bowl, and offensive line who couldn't block, and having no run game to speak of... AR may lose the game as well.

Remember it was the giants who kept us in it. They dominated us defensively and offensively.

Our offense looks pretty bad this year without a consistent run game. Throw a guy out there in that with no run game and -23 windchill with WR's that aren't getting open?

Yeah. AR rocks our socks off.

Doubtful.

Sure, chances are AR doesn't throw that OT pick, but would we even be in OT? Who knows. The what if game is silly, and to that point, Favre was having an MVP like season.

As much as I disagree with most everything you write regarding Favre, this is pretty much accurate. We can play what if all day, but I don't think any coach ever in history would have had the stones to pull Brent outta that game....even vince himself.