PDA

View Full Version : Read This, Be Smarter: Bowen on Man Coverage

pbmax
10-31-2010, 12:18 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Coaching-session-man-coverage.html

Routes: Outside of the 3-step game (slant, hitch, fade, smash, china, option), every route in the NFL breaks between 12-15 yards. That’s it. As a DB, you read through the 3-step and get your eyes back to the WR. Know that the comeback, the deep dig, post and 7 (or flag) route break at a depth of 12-15 yards. The WR starts to chop down his feet at eight yards? Simple, get ready for the double move—because there isn’t a route in an NFL playbook that breaks at that depth. No break between 12-15 yards? Turn and run—because that WR isn’t stopping until he gets to the goal line.

channtheman
10-31-2010, 01:04 AM
So if that is true, why don't they make a route that breaks at 8 yards?

bobblehead
10-31-2010, 07:36 AM
Always love your finds PB. I still remember I learned more about the 3-4 Defense from your posts than anybody elses....although Waldo did post a lot of stuff too (some good, some...not so good).

Tarlam!
10-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Always love your finds PB. I still remember I learned more about the 3-4 Defense from your posts than anybody elses....although Waldo did post a lot of stuff too (some good, some...not so good).

+1

I rally value your posts, PB. Great find!

Guiness
10-31-2010, 11:40 AM

Cause then your WR has to run through the MLB!

3 Step routes go 'underneath' the LB's. Then there's a no-man's land where the LB's are hanging out, then there's room for more routes.

At least, that's the way I understood it!

channtheman
10-31-2010, 11:51 AM

3 Step routes go 'underneath' the LB's. Then there's a no-man's land where the LB's are hanging out, then there's room for more routes.

What about an 8 yard square out? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I'm just trying to figure out with the 1000's of plays an NFL playbook has, why they don't have wide receivers running more different length routes. It's probably something really obvious.

retailguy
10-31-2010, 03:55 PM
great read. Thanks.

Guiness
10-31-2010, 04:19 PM

What about an 8 yard square out? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I'm just trying to figure out with the 1000's of plays an NFL playbook has, why they don't have wide receivers running more different length routes. It's probably something really obvious.

well, you just exhausted my knowledge! I don't know why it's not there - I doubt it's something obvious. I mean, WR's run 8yd patterns (usually on 3rd and 7!)

Any more thoughts pb?

denverYooper
10-31-2010, 04:22 PM

Part of it is probably that the Quarterback is used to throwing to certain spots/depths and the receivers also needing to memorize different routes. If you start sliding that around, your QB has to work on hitting new spots and your receivers have to add several new routes.

Also, I think those distances are "fuzzy" and not sure what the tolerance is on any given route.

gbgary
10-31-2010, 05:38 PM
we could have used some 8 yard routes today...hell, every week. :D

pbmax
10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Its a combination of QB steps and the total length of the route. For a 3 step drop, your protection is designed to hold only for so long. Five and seven step drops could accommodate an 8 yard route, but in addition to the LBs in their drops, you have enough time to take your route across the field, making it easier to get open.

Having quicker breaking routes also enables a smooth progression through reads as the clock ticks. The QB only needs to read coverage and/or your break then make a decision to throw or move on.

Guiness
10-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Mmmm, makes all kinds of sense.

@ 3 steps, WR's haven't gotten 8 yds down the field. @ 5 steps, they've reached their stride, and have now gotten further out than that. To have an 8yd route, a WR would have to 'hang around' at that depth for a while, and that wont work.