PDA

View Full Version : Moss Waived by Vikes!

denverYooper
11-01-2010, 01:58 PM
NFL.com, Zulgad, Seifert all reporting that Randy Moss has been waived.

edit: I posted it in the Moss thread but then thought it was significant enough to merit a new thread.

vince
11-01-2010, 01:59 PM
WOW!

I wonder what questions he'll ask himself about this turn of events. :lol:

denverYooper
11-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Childress told the team in meeting they waived Moss as Moss did not go back with the team to Minnesota. Moss was not in the meeting.

mmmdk
11-01-2010, 02:02 PM
NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the Vikings have waived Randy Moss.

Moss refused to travel with his teammates back to Minnesota, instead staying in Boston with his family. He'll now be subject to the waivers process, with any team claiming him on the hook for his $6.4 million salary prorated over the rest of the season. The winless Bills have first dibs.

Cheesehead Craig
You are The Weakest Link, good-bye

Lurker64
http://artaban7.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/2009-4-22-viking_funeral.jpg

red
11-01-2010, 02:06 PM
WOW,unreal

time to blow up the ship.

gave up a third round pick for what, 3 half assed games?

Cheesehead Craig
11-01-2010, 02:08 PM
I implore Cincy to pick him up. Ocho, TO and Moss. THAT would be fun as hell to watch.

imscott72
11-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Holy hell what is going on over there?

mmmdk
11-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I think NY Jets picks him up; I don't believe any losing team picks Randy up.

Dare I say...Packers? :shock: Nah!

red
11-01-2010, 02:11 PM
my money says he goes right back to the pats

although. the one and only thing moss can do is go long. and thats all a-rod wants to do, but none of our guys can get to the ball.

not saying we should or shouldn't do it, but its an interesting thought. and we could stick it to the queens by picking up moss for a third rounder that they gave up for him so he could play for us

red
11-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Holy hell what is going on over there?

chilly's lost his marbles. you can only pass the blame for so long, when does chilly get the boot? lets face it, that team has a tone of talent and is underachieving big time

ThunderDan
11-01-2010, 02:13 PM
my money says he goes right back to the pats

although. the one and only thing moss can do is go long. and thats all a-rod wants to do, but none of our guys can get to the ball.

not saying we should or shouldn't do it, but its an interesting thought. and we could stick it to the queens by picking up moss for a third rounder that they gave up for him so he could play for us

No fucking way!! Moss is a cancer. His off-field issues don't make up for what he might or might not do on the field.

ThunderDan
11-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Somewhere in Canada a man is weeping very loudly!

LP
11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
WOW!!! That Favre to Moss combination is just unstoppable!!!!!

red
11-01-2010, 02:17 PM
i bet a lot of people were pissed at him when he gave up on the play that was call for pass interference. he let up and watch the ball land about 4 feet in front of him. i don't know why he didn't even try a little, but he decided not too.

right after that bert got knocked the fuck out.

if moss even tried just a bit he would have caught that ball and favre never would have gotten drilled.

and after that he holds the presser where he just talks about how much he misses the pats

hoosier
11-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Last year we had to wait till January. This year you just couldn't write a better mid-season script.

Cheesehead Craig
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Work here in the Twin Cities just got a lot more fun today. The Vikes fans are just stunned. A lot of head shaking and mutters of "unbelieveable".

Christmas in November.

gbgary
11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
lovin' it!

cincy maybe? lol

Guiness
11-01-2010, 02:22 PM
wow. What a collossal screwup. Rastak, MNGolf and SmackTalkie have to be looking out the window to see if they've been transported to Detroit...

red
11-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Last year we had to wait till January. This year you just couldn't write a better mid-season script.

the big payoff might still come in january

i'm sure the cluster fuck that is currently the vikings isn't winning a lot of hearts as far as a new stadium goes.

they needed a miracle season, they knew it. they put all their chips on the table early and it has been nothing but a disaster for them

they inch closer to being the LA drag queens is every pathetic loss

LP
11-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Maybe Ted should put in a claim for Moss just to rub a little salt in the wound.

vince
11-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Is this heaven?

imscott72
11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
So, the Vikings cough up a 3rd for four games of Moss? Now that shit is hilarious..

Scott Campbell
11-01-2010, 02:30 PM

It seems like less than 30 days ago he was crowing about getting the last laugh. :lol:

imscott72
Maybe Ted should put in a claim for Moss just to rub a little salt in the wound.

F that. We don't want that D-bag anywhere near our team..

imscott72

It seems like less than 30 days ago he was crowing about getting the last laugh. :lol:

LOL!

MadScientist
11-01-2010, 02:33 PM

i'm sure the cluster fuck that is currently the vikings isn't winning a lot of hearts as far as a new stadium goes.

they needed a miracle season, they knew it. they put all their chips on the table early and it has been nothing but a disaster for them

Even though they've the youngest of the Packer's rivals, it would still be a loss if they left for Smell-A. Just can't get too up for having the Rams in the division.

(I'm not rooting for them, I'd just like to see them get the stadium and stay in the division).

vince
11-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I'd give anything to be a fly on the wall in the office of Ted Thompson right about now....

He's just gotta be laughing his ass off - by himself.

red
11-01-2010, 02:34 PM
isn't favre the one that really wanted moss, and chilly went out and got him for bret?

what if bert just says "fuck it, thats it for me" after this whole mess

mmmdk
11-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Shalise Manza Young of the Boston Globe predicts that Randy Moss will not end up with the Patriots after being waived on Monday.

LP
11-01-2010, 02:35 PM

F that. We don't want that D-bag anywhere near our team..

Yeah, but, after the tantrums thrown two years in a row over not getting Moss, it'd be hilarious if he ended up, and played well, here now.

denverYooper
11-01-2010, 02:36 PM
I'd give anything to be a fly on the wall in the office of Ted Thompson right about now....

He's just gotta be laughing his ass off - by himself.

:lol:

just saw this from Whitlock with an answer for you:

Ted Thompson cackling and rolling a blunt. Belichick telling Thompson 2 puff-puff pass

gbgary
11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
isn't favre the one that really wanted moss, and chilly went out and got him for bret?

that would be great!

Cheesehead Craig
11-01-2010, 02:50 PM
I can't wait to see Randy Moss interview Randy Moss about how he feels about being waived by Minnesota.

hoosier
11-01-2010, 02:51 PM

If things go that far then I worry that it might actually become addition by subtraction. The Vikings sans Moss and Favre might actually be a dangerous team. :lol:

pbmax
11-01-2010, 02:57 PM

That's pretty harsh, red. Do you really want them to move?

mmmdk
11-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that the Seahawks and Dolphins are both showing preliminary interest in Randy Moss, who was waived by the Vikings on Monday.

pbmax
11-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I can't wait to see Randy Moss interview Randy Moss about how he feels about being waived by Minnesota.
Let's predict where that press conference will be held.

I'd say odds are good he has had his in season drug test and is lighting up as we speak. I think the press conference will happen at Golden Corral.

sheepshead
11-01-2010, 02:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

pbmax
11-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Try this thought on for size:

Greg Bedard leaving the JSO sports section means that the Moss news has not even hit their Twitter or Blog pages. What are the odds that the paper folds before they find another beat reporter?

red
11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Try this thought on for size:

Greg Bedard leaving the JSO sports section means that the Moss news has not even hit their Twitter or Blog pages. What are the odds that the paper folds before they find another beat reporter?

couldn't happen to a worse news organization IMO

i think we can all agree that the JSO can go rot in hell

Cheesehead Craig
11-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Buddy just sent this to me:

http://tinyurl.com/2a47dcl

TennesseePackerBacker
11-01-2010, 03:09 PM
On Oct. 6th the sky was falling for us Packers fans. People were already writing off the season for us in favor of the Vikings after their "bold" move of trading for Randy Moss. Hah Hah hah hah.

I should go back and read the Moss to Vikings thread. According to the majority of you people the season was over. Maybe one day some of you will learn to step back from the ledge and let things play out before jumping to conclusions.

:lol: You people kill me. This Moss to Vikings thread is gold!

gbgary
11-01-2010, 03:20 PM
looks like randy quit on an easy td and bert was hurt on the next play.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/How-Randy-Moss-quitting-on-a-play-led-to-his-rel;_ylt=AmT8.GzdRWn5GO__uIfA0BcdsLYF?urn=nfl-281576

hoosier
11-01-2010, 03:25 PM
On Oct. 6th the sky was falling for us Packers fans. People were already writing off the season for us in favor of the Vikings after their "bold" move of trading for Randy Moss. Hah Hah hah hah.

I should go back and read the Moss to Vikings thread. According to the majority of you people the season was over. Maybe one day some of you will learn to step back from the ledge and let things play out before jumping to conclusions.

Don't climb up too high on that horse of yours. When you're right about something, the real dignity comes with being right quietly.

Scott Campbell
11-01-2010, 03:27 PM

Don't climb up too high on that horse of yours. When you're right about something, the real dignity comes with being right quietly.

Yeah.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-01-2010, 03:31 PM

You know, generally that isn't my style. But a lot of you need to wake up to the reality of this season. I just wish I knew where the faith has gone for most Packer fans.

Was the Brett Favre split really that defining of a moment for our franchise and ourselves as fans?

Bossman641
11-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Got to say I am thoroughly enjoying the Viking demise. The only way this could get any better is if Favre speaks out in favor of Moss. That’s not too much to ask is it?????

sheepshead
11-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Thank God for Ted Thompson.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Yeah.

:lol:

vince
11-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Teddy Bruschi re: the Moss release, "This is an example of how inept Brad Childress and the Vikings organization is"

mngolf19
11-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Teddy Bruschi re: the Moss release, "This is an example of how inept Brad Childress and the Vikings organization is"

Tedi can bite me. He wants Chilly to take control and then when he does he rips him for it. How would he have preferred they handle Moss after his comments last night? I'm guessing he didn't say.

gbgary
11-01-2010, 03:57 PM

Yeah.

hehe

vince
11-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Tedi can bite me. He wants Chilly to take control and then when he does he rips him for it. How would he have preferred they handle Moss after his comments last night? I'm guessing he didn't say.
Matt Bowen can bite you too.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Waiving-Moss-adds-to-the-mess-in-Minnesota.html

Waiving Moss Adds to the Mess in Minnesota
Moss adds to the mess in MinnesotaToday's move brings up more questions on Childress, Vikings

Goodbye, Randy Moss.

That is the message—which was first reported by the NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi—sent today to the wide receiver from the Vikings. That 3rd round pick that Minnesota gave up to the Patriots? Good for four weeks of running routes with QB Brett Favre. 13 receptions, 174-yards, 2 TDs—and a 1-3 record. A wasted move? For sure, and despite Moss’ post game comments on Sunday, it just leads to more questions about this Vikings team under Brad Childress.

ICON
Time to start asking questions about the direction of Childress' Vikings.
Minnesota is buried in the NFC North with a 2-5 record. Their 41-year old QB could hardly walk off the podium after the loss to the Packers and was taken off on a cart in Sunday’s loss to New England after taking a helmet to the chin. And, let’s not forget the opinion Childress had on Favre’s decision making for the media just last week.

Let’s be honest here. It is hard enough to win on Sunday’s in the NFL when you don’t have drama in the locker room, out at practice and in every single press conference held in the team facility. In Minnesota, it just adds to the distractions for a football team that is loaded with talent. But, when you stack the losses on top of all the talk, it becomes magnified. And, I have to wonder if--or when--that locker room is going to turn on Childress.

NFL seasons are very fragile and I have been in a situation where the team basically shut out the head coach. Back in 2003 with Steve Spurrier in Washington. After a 3-1 start, we limped to the end of the season with a 5-11 record. Spurrier lost the locker room, and when that happens, the season starts to spiral out of control.

Part of winning in the NFL when it comes to the head coach is managing egos—pro egos. Schemes, game plans, how you script practice, training camp, etc. are all a part of a coaching in this league. But building that chemistry and working with names like Favre, Moss, Adrian Peterson and so on plays a major role. Childress has failed in that department and the 2-5 record—along with the player’s post game comments—speak to that. Have to find a way to blend that talent and make it work as the head coach.

We will find out tomorrow where Randy Moss plays his next game in the 2010 season, as I doubt he will pass through waivers without someone scooping him up—because the overall talent is still there to see.

However, for the Vikings and Childress, this looks like a sinking ship in Minnesota.

Follow me on Twitter: MattBowen41

vince
11-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I fully realize this sounds like spiteful Favre hate, but I'm convinced that it's not....

Brett Favre is responsible for all of this.

Brandon494
11-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Whats even funnier are the fans who wanted Favre to stay and wanted TT to trade for Moss.

denverYooper
11-01-2010, 04:17 PM
The plot thickens.

Not all in Vikes org were on board with Moss move. Stay tuned. This could still take another twist and turn

vince
11-01-2010, 04:18 PM
FWIW, Jason LaCanfora of NFL Network is reporting...

So, while Chilly told the team he's releasing Moss, Vikings have yet to inform Moss or his agent of his release. I'm hearing not all in the organization were on board with the move. Stay tuned. This could still take another twist and turn.

Brandon494
11-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Honestly signing Moss would make sense. We are missing a deep threat and a big red zone target with Finley out. Sucks it wont happen though.

red
11-01-2010, 04:22 PM

So, while Chilly told the team he's releasing Moss, Vikings have yet to inform Moss or his agent of his release. I'm hearing not all in the organization were on board with the move. Stay tuned. This could still take another twist and turn.

LOL, YES IT CAN GET BETTER

sounds like chilly did all this on his own, knee jerk reaction, without running it past anyone else

oh lord this is good. i haven't been this happy in a long time

sheepshead
11-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Honestly signing Moss would make sense. We are missing a deep threat and a big red zone target with Finley out. Sucks it wont happen though.

You cannot be serious.

denverYooper
11-01-2010, 04:25 PM

LOL, YES IT CAN GET BETTER

sounds like chilly did all this on his own, knee jerk reaction, without running it past anyone else

oh lord this is good. i haven't been this happy in a long time

Best 2 consecutive Mondays in a long time, that's for sure.

red
11-01-2010, 04:29 PM

You cannot be serious.

he would be dirt cheap. we would only have to give him the vet minimum. minnie is on the line for the rest.

and we have nothing else invested in him like a signing bonus or a draft pick. so we can bring him in and cut him a week later if we have to without losing anything

moss might be ready for 1 huge game to stick it to the queens. just the team we play in 3 weeks

plus look at how he opened the whole field up for harvin while he was on the field. he might be a shell of his old self and be an asshat that doesn't try. but D's will still game plan to stop him. opening up everything for guys like jennings, driver, jones and jordy

the more i think about it the more i like the idea of bringing him in. however if we don't even try to get him, well i can't blame the team for not wanting him

gbgary
11-01-2010, 04:30 PM

obviously you haven't seen him play recently. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/wink5.gif

Brandon494
11-01-2010, 04:33 PM

You cannot be serious.

Its only 8 games and I mean our offense is struggling. We also don't have a deep threat on this team. Moss would require double coverage to open things up more for GJ and DD. Also Rodgers has one of the best deep balls in the game and thats Moss bread and butter. I know its not going to happen man but a guy can day dream. :)

sheepshead
11-01-2010, 04:33 PM

You cannot be serious.

he would be dirt cheap. we would only have to give him the vet minimum. minnie is on the line for the rest.

and we have nothing else invested in him like a signing bonus or a draft pick. so we can bring him in and cut him a week later if we have to without losing anything

moss might be ready for 1 huge game to stick it to the queens. just the team we play in 3 weeks

plus look at how he opened the whole field up for harvin while he was on the field. he might be a shell of his old self and be an asshat that doesn't try. but D's will still game plan to stop him. opening up everything for guys like jennings, driver, jones and jordy

the more i think about it the more i like the idea of bringing him in. however if we don't even try to get him, well i can't blame the team for not wanting him

I dont care how old Randy Moss gets he's not going to want to be a decoy. Our receiving corps is not only among the best in football, but it contains some of the best PEOPLE in football. No way. TT wouldnt do it and we shouldnt wish it so.

Cheesehead Craig
11-01-2010, 04:35 PM

You cannot be serious.

We would be on the hook for his full salary so long as he's on the team if we claim him.

Don't need his kind of help, don't want his kind of help.

Brandon494
11-01-2010, 04:37 PM

You cannot be serious.

I dont care how old Randy Moss gets he's not going to want to be a decoy. Our receiving corps is not only among the best in football, but it contains some of the best PEOPLE in football. No way. TT wouldnt do it and we shouldnt wish it so.

It WAS one of the best in football. With Finley out for the season, DD showing is age, and JJ and Nelson being inconsistent we are hardly among the best anymore. Also Moss wouldnt be a decoy, we all know how Rodgers loves throwing the ball downfield.

Joemailman
I fully realize this sounds like spiteful Favre hate, but I'm convinced that it's not....

I would argue that Childress is responsible for this. Favre may have pushed for it, but Childress doesn't have to let Favre run things. For whatever reason. he chooses to.

denverYooper

Agent informed, paperwork not done. RT: @mas_chingon Jay Glazer is reporting Randy Moss still has not been waived or informed?? What gives?

Bossman641
11-01-2010, 04:41 PM

He's only vet minimum if he clears waivers. Whoever claims him is on the hook for his salary, which is somewhere around 6.4 million.

Joemailman
11-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Is this heaven?

Bears didn't lose this week, so not quite. It's a damned good substitute though. :glug:

Scott Campbell
11-01-2010, 04:44 PM

He's only vet minimum if he clears waivers. Whoever claims him is on the hook for his salary, which is somewhere around 6.4 million.

Roughly half of that, as he's been paid YTD thus far.

TheCheese
11-01-2010, 04:46 PM

You cannot be serious.

It WAS one of the best in football. With Finley out for the season, DD showing is age, and JJ and Nelson being inconsistent we are hardly among the best anymore. Also Moss wouldnt be a decoy, we all know how Rodgers loves throwing the ball downfield.

This amazes me that people would still want Moss after all this. Forget the fact hes not what he was on the field, but look at what he did in the NE off the field this year. Got his ass traded and 4 weeks later got his ass cut.

Seriously, he would do more harm than good.

Brandon494
11-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Im not saying sign him to a long term deal. Its 8 games and our locker room is strong enough IMO to not let this guy destory the team.

Scott Campbell
11-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Im not saying sign him to a long term deal. Its 8 games and our locker room is strong enough IMO to not let this guy destory the team.

Maybe this is just the wakeup call Randy needs to get out there and give it 20%.

Jimx29
11-01-2010, 05:01 PM
This makes it sound as though chilly waived him. as coach I don't see that happening...i'd like to see wilfs take on this.

vince
11-01-2010, 05:04 PM

I would argue that Childress is responsible for this. Favre may have pushed for it, but Childress doesn't have to let Favre run things. For whatever reason. he chooses to.
I think Chilly is forced to put up with Favre by ownership because he's such a cash cow for the franchise, which is not on the most solid financial foundation in the first place. Favre has been all too willing to position himself above the coach in Minnesota, and his well-documented contempt for Chilly, combined with his lack of preseason preparation and his subsequent poor play has enabled this whole sinking ship scenario to play out so beautfully.

Just my take.

mraynrand
11-01-2010, 05:23 PM

Maybe this is just the wakeup call Randy needs to get out there and give it 20%.

LOL!

Randy=Toxic

Still, I hate to throw water on this fire, but there's an awful good chance the Pack goes into MN and gets spanked. Rodgers has never won there, and has the Ghosts of Sacks and Safeties Past to deal with...

red
11-01-2010, 05:26 PM

ah, gotcha hot big titted red headed hottie

i would not want him if we have to pay him 6.4 million. but if he somehow clears waivers, then i wouldn't mind going for him

Scott Campbell
11-01-2010, 05:27 PM

ah, gotcha hot big titted red headed hottie

i would not want him if we have to pay him 6.4 million. but if he somehow clears waivers, then i wouldn't mind going for him

He's already been paid roughly half of that so far this season, so a waiver claim costs you roughly half the $6.4M.

denverYooper
11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
From Seifert:

Did Childress go solo on Moss move? (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/18866/did-childress-go-solo-on-moss-move)

You want to assume that the team is on the same page internally, even if it has mismanaged the decision from a public perspective. But if it's not -- if Childress jumped the gun on this move -- then we could be in for an interesting 24-48 hours. Stay tuned.

Joemailman
11-01-2010, 05:51 PM
If this move isn't official, what are the odds that Moss is with the Vikings next week and Childress isn't?

red
11-01-2010, 05:57 PM
If this move isn't official, what are the odds that Moss is with the Vikings next week and Childress isn't?

talk about the ultimate cluster fuck

but i don't think i want chilly fired, i like him as head coach of the vikings

i don't see moss ever playing for the vikings again after what's happened today

Scott Campbell
11-01-2010, 05:59 PM

talk about the ultimate cluster fuck

but i don't think i want chilly fired, i like him as head coach of the vikings

i don't see moss ever playing for the vikings again after what's happened today

I consider it really awkward, but technically possible.

Packgator
11-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Even if it is official.....knowing the way the Vikings do things they might just be the team that ends up claiming Moss off the waiver wire.

red
11-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Even if it is official.....knowing the way the Vikings do things they might just be the team that ends up claiming Moss off the waiver wire.

maybe TT can claim him off waivers and offer him back to minnie after they fire chilly for a draft pick?

Freak Out
11-01-2010, 06:04 PM
When do they waive old #4?

Freak Out
11-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Moss is still a queen.

Noodle
11-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Remember everyone having doubts about Bad Moon Rison? That worked out pretty dang well around here.

We should do this. One it would be entertaining as all get out.

But more importantly, our receiver corps is not all that at all. We have no true deep threat, unless you call the ball bouncing off Jones's hands a threat to my sanity.

Tell me which Packer receiver is a better deep threat than Moss.

And when you're done not answering, tell me why you don't want to make this team better.

vince
11-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Did you see how much better he made the Vikes Noodle? How about the Pats this year? (Declining) talent does not equal success - especially when that talent comes packaged with serious attitude and a stack of don't give a shit about anything but myself. That's been proven time and time again. There's no reason whatsoever to think he'll magically change, and every reason in the world to think he won't.

sheepshead
11-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I know Andre Rison, Andre Rison is a friend of mine, you sir are no Andre Rison.

Cheesehead Craig
11-01-2010, 06:26 PM

Is that Madden Moss or real life Moss?

Scott Campbell
11-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Remember everyone having doubts about Bad Moon Rison? That worked out pretty dang well around here.

But more importantly, our receiver corps is not all that at all. We have no true deep threat, unless you call the ball bouncing off Jones's hands a threat to my sanity.

And when you're done not answering, tell me why you don't want to make this team better.

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

Noodle
11-01-2010, 06:28 PM
C'mon, we got a bye coming up.

We take him, maybe play him this week but probably not, get him coached up in some things, have DD exert a little leadership, and let's see what happens after the bye?

Worse case, we shove him out the door.

But oh, the potential up side!

pbmax
11-01-2010, 06:28 PM

Noodle, that was on a team missing Brooks, Freeman with his arm in a cast and an injured Chmura at TE. If Moss could play LB or DE, then it makes sense. But not on this team with its WRs.

gbgary
11-01-2010, 06:30 PM
did anyone hear tom jackson railling on moss on the nfl pregame show. merciless!

Pugger
11-01-2010, 06:32 PM
As of right now Moss is still a Heidi Hair and has yet to be waived.

red
11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
according to mort chilly was acting alone, and lost the whole locker room when he announced he was releasing moss

i'd say chiily will be lucky if he lasts the week

Noodle
11-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Noodle, that was on a team missing Brooks, Freeman with his arm in a cast and an injured Chmura at TE. If Moss could play LB or DE, then it makes sense. But not on this team with its WRs.

We have a gimpy DD, a guy (JJ) who can't seem to catch balls that hit him in the hands, and have lost our starting TE. At least the 96 team had Keith Jackson in all his studness.

Our D has proved it can hang. Our O, and our vaunted passing game, has not been up to snuff at all.

And I'd take 20% of Moss, as long as that's four go or fade routes where he gives me 100% and the rest where he hangs around.

CaptainD
11-01-2010, 06:39 PM
From Twitter :
Moss agent Joel Segal says paperwork on Moss being waived not yet filed with the league, but merely a technical thing.

Just got behind on the paper work. Ya think the vikes get much done in practice this week? A loss at home to the redbirds Sunday could put the nail in the coffin .

TennesseePackerBacker
11-01-2010, 06:47 PM
The only thing that could happen this week that could possibly be better is the canning of Chilly.

A Vikings team in complete discord. I love it.

Bossman641
11-01-2010, 06:51 PM
The only thing that could happen this week that could possibly be better is Chilly signing an extension.

FIXED

We want him around remember?

LP
11-01-2010, 06:56 PM
The only thing that could happen this week that could possibly be better is the canning of Chilly.

Yes, it's a wonderful day in Vikingland. I really think they need to keep Chilly though. Just think of all the great sniper quotes that will come out of the locker room. The longer the Queens keep him around, the better for everyone. :)

superfan
11-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Good thing Chilly won't let any of this create a distraction. It's not in his nature to be distracted.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2008/12/340x_censored_shiancoe_dong.jpg

hoosier
11-01-2010, 07:04 PM
according to mort chilly was acting alone, and lost the whole locker room when he announced he was releasing moss

i'd say chiily will be lucky if he lasts the week

The silver cloud has a dark lining.

channtheman
11-01-2010, 07:43 PM
I implore Cincy to pick him up. Ocho, TO and Moss. THAT would be fun as hell to watch.

yes, Yes, YES!

Iron Mike
11-01-2010, 07:46 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/256963.jpg

KICK ASS!!!!!

Cheesehead Craig
11-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Apparently the latest rumor is that Chilly didn't get any approval to do this and not all of Viking management is on board. Some talking head said that all is not well in the Viking management land with Chilly doing what he did. Supposedly by noon tomorrow either Moss or Chilly won't be with the Vikings. No links, just what I'm hearing here in MN.

mraynrand
11-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Apparently the latest rumor is that Chilly didn't get any approval to do this and not all of Viking management is on board. Some talking head said that all is not well in the Viking management land with Chilly doing what he did. Supposedly by noon tomorrow either Moss or Chilly won't be with the Vikings. No links, just what I'm hearing here in MN.

Could it get any better? How about they fire Chilly, bring back Moss, and Favre is named Player/Coach/primadonna?

Fosco33
11-01-2010, 08:20 PM
As much as I like seeing the Vikings fall apart (pun intended), I don't disagree with Chilly bringing in Moss (although he overpaid) - and I don't disagree with cutting his lazy ass. He may have thought it'd send a message that no one (including Brett) is untouchable and that he has full control of the team.

Now that MN brass is making it a bigger story shows an overall weakness. Once the decision was made - the organization should make a good public face (and scorn Chilly in the background).

dumb, dumber, dumbest

Joemailman
11-01-2010, 08:23 PM
The news might get worse for the ol' gunslinger. Harvin's ankle injury could be worse than originally thought.
http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2010/10/vikings-injury-update-on-harvi.html

pasquale
11-01-2010, 08:28 PM
From the heart of East Dakota, it's been confirmed:

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Statement-From-Vikings-Head-Coach-Brad-Childress/74ccf06d-7616-41d3-aed3-f4c9935f40be

ThunderDan
11-01-2010, 08:33 PM

The problem is for every fly patern RM will run he is going to have to run slants and across the middle in our WCO. RM will not run those routes anymore. He is a two trick pony.

superfan
11-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Wow.

http://rubechat.kfan.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=123523

As of this moment, subject to change of course, when presented with the question "Who should go, Moss or Childress?" on a Vikings message board, 62 votes to get rid of Childress and only 2 to get rid of Moss.

Scott Campbell
11-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow.

As of this moment, subject to change of course, when presented with the question "Who should go, Moss or Childress?" on a Vikings message board, 62 votes to get rid of Childress and only 2 to get rid of Moss.

C) All of the above

......could have been a unanimous selection.

get louder at lambeau
11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Wow.

C) All of the above

......could have been a unanimous selection.

I'd have voted for D) Brett Favre.

pbmax
11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Good gravy, no. We don't want the entire Keystone Front Office to leave. Just piece by piece, week by week for maximum distraction.

jmbarnes101
11-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Absolutely flipping hilarious!

Please don't fire Childress, I want this to last as long as humanly possible.

Also, wouldn't mind bringing Randy in though I have no access to TT and my opinion doesn't mean anything in this matter.

If Favre gets cut can we grab him off waivers and make him inactive every Sunday? Atonement can be good for the soul.

VegasPackFan
11-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I just have to laugh at this whole mess due to the fact that there were so many Favre/Anti-TT fans that wanted this exact situation to arise in GB. What a f'in joke. Thank God for a GM with a brain on his shoulders that saw better.

Now you can see just exactly what happens when you let a player (Bert) dictate to the team how he will do things and the people he wants to do it with (not talking about Jenn here....).

This would have been our little circus if they would have caved to Bert.

Noodle
11-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Not all that different from the way Michael Jordan was always trying to get the front office to pick up Carolina guys.

The SuperDudes just don't know their limitations. And that's not a good thing.

VegasPackFan
11-02-2010, 12:16 AM
That's why players need to shut up, play, and do what the management and coaches tell them to do. And shut up. And play. And stop whining. And shut up.

packrulz
11-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Dolphins | Expressing interest in Randy Moss
Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:54:04 -0700

The Miami Dolphins have expressed interest in claiming free-agent WR Randy Moss (Vikings) off waivers, reports Judd Zulgad, of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
Seahawks | Expressing interest in Randy Moss
Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:49:24 -0700

The Seattle Seahawks have expressed interest in claiming free-agent WR Randy Moss (Vikings) off waivers, reports Judd Zulgad, of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
NFL | Randy Moss to go through waivers
Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:06:42 -0700

Unrestricted free-agent WR Randy Moss (Vikings) will have to go through waivers and would be free to sign with any team if he clears waivers, reports Judd Zulgad, of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

vince
11-02-2010, 07:58 AM
This kind of makes you wonder if Moss didn't try to manipulate his way out of town.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArZcoC1TPfUC8FFZbLC_.hRDubYF?slug=ms-mossbehavior110210

Boorish behavior also contributed to Moss’ demise

When Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress told his players Monday afternoon that Randy Moss(notes) would be released because “we want good people that are good football players, and this just doesn’t fit,” several of them nodded their approval. Though Childress isn’t especially popular in the locker room, some Vikings were on board with his decision to move on without Moss four weeks after the polarizing wideout was reacquired in a trade with the New England Patriots.

Even before Sunday’s surreal address to the media following the Vikings’ 28-18 defeat to the Patriots at Gillette Stadium – during which he questioned Childress’ leadership while effusively praising his former coach, Bill Belichick, and the Patriots’ organization – Moss had alienated some of his teammates with his brash, entitled behavior, most glaringly in an incident that occurred in the team’s locker room last Friday afternoon, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

As is the team’s custom on Fridays, a local food establishment was invited to the training facility to serve a catered, post-practice meal in the locker room. In this case, a St. Paul restaurant that is a favorite of former Vikings center Matt Birk(notes). As the proprietors helped serve chicken, ribs, pasta and other dishes to Vikings players, Moss paced up and down the serving line and loudly expressed his displeasure with the offerings.

According to one player who witnessed the scene, Moss yelled, “What the [expletive]? Who ordered this crap? I wouldn’t feed this to my dog!”

Said the witness: “It was brutal. The truth is, he deserved to be cut after that. It was such an uncomfortable moment. You know that feeling where you just can tell someone feels so small? That’s what it was like being there.

“This wasn’t a chain – it was a mom-and-pop restaurant, and you could tell it was their best stuff. They had a special carving station set up, and there were players and other support staff lining up to eat it. And [Moss] is at his locker saying, ‘You know, I used to have to eat that crap – but now I’ve got money.’ You just felt so sad for them. I had never seen anyone treated like that.

“And by the way, the food was actually really good.”

While Moss had his share of supporters in the locker room, some Vikings had grown disillusioned with his attitude. From the receiver’s uneven effort in practice to his displays of self-centeredness off the field, some veterans believed Moss was becoming a bad influence to young players like second-year wideout Percy Harvin.

There was also locker room speculation about Moss’ effort – or lack thereof – on two plays in recent games. With the Vikes facing a last-gasp fourth-down pass in a 28-24 defeat to the Packers in Green Bay two Sundays ago, quarterback Brett Favre(notes) threw a high pass in the back of the end zone that sailed over Moss’ head, though it didn’t appear as though the receiver made an effort to jump for the ball.

In Sunday’s game against the Patriots, with the Vikings trailing by 10 midway through the fourth quarter, Moss drew a pass-interference penalty on Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather(notes) while streaking down the left sideline. It appeared as though Moss might have been able to catch the pass for a touchdown after the penalty occurred but that he broke off the route once the flag was thrown.

The Vikings got the ball at the New England 9 and scored four plays later, though not before Favre sustained a lacerated chin that knocked him from the game.

Most of all, however, Moss’ treatment of the restauranteurs in the locker room convinced some teammates that he wasn’t worth the trouble. Since becoming the Vikings’ coach in 2006, Childress has consistently preached that he wants “good people who are good football players,” and Moss clearly didn’t seem to be projecting himself as someone who fits in the former category.

When Childress, according to one person in Monday’s meeting, said of Moss, “This just doesn’t fit with how we treat people, how we talk to people and how we act,” it was clear that he was referring to the incident that occurred last Friday. Sunday’s stream-of-consciousness statement to the media only reinforced the internal perception that Moss was going out of his way to disrespect the organization.

With all of that said, Childress still has major credibility issues with his players, most of whom side with Favre in his ongoing clash with the coach. And there’s no guarantee Childress will stay the coach for the remainder of the season. However, his decision to part ways with Moss was, for some, viewed as an understandable consequence of the receiver’s behavior.

Brandon494
11-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Not all that different from the way Michael Jordan was always trying to get the front office to pick up Carolina guys.

Yea but Favre is no MJ. If you win me 6 championships you can have any player you want.

hoosier
11-02-2010, 08:09 AM
This kind of makes you wonder if Moss didn't try to manipulate his way out of town.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArZcoC1TPfUC8FFZbLC_.hRDubYF?slug=ms-mossbehavior110210

Boorish behavior also contributed to Moss’ demise.....

Yeah, let's sign this guy up just as soon as he hits the street! :idea:

Pugger
11-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Moss is capable of boorish behavior? Shocking I tell ya! :wink: This is one goofball I never wanted anywhere near a Packer lockerroom and I'm glad TT didn't listen to Farp way back then.

mraynrand
11-02-2010, 08:30 AM

To what end?

Scott Campbell
11-02-2010, 08:32 AM

To what end?

To get onto a contender, and out from the diva shadow of Bert.

mraynrand
11-02-2010, 08:34 AM

To what end?

I forgot. He wants to get back to NE. I have to start reading my own posts.

SC, you are like a kid in here!

Cheesehead Craig
11-02-2010, 08:35 AM

To what end?

Maybe he is crazy like a fox. He wanted to play with Favre and thought it would be magical. But after getting there, he quickly realized that the Vikes were not going anywhere this season and that they are half the team they were last season. So he knows that if he doesn't try and does a complete blasting of the org, he'll be released and then get to go to a contender again.

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2010, 08:35 AM
The real issue is that he just wasn't getting it done on the field. He was an even worse route runner, and refused to learn the offense.

He looked worse then the Randy Moss in Oakland. He simply was never a fit a west coast offense, and he showed it with his ability on the field, or lack there of it to actually run a route that wasn't a fly pattern, or a deep post.

Add that to the way he treats people, and Childress made the right move. He made the right move bringing him in, the Vikings had to take a shot at him, but he is just a baby without his contract.

vince
11-02-2010, 08:40 AM

To what end?
To avoid going down with the ship maybe? It's hard to know what goes through his warped head. He clearly wasn't happy there and had no regard for the organization - likely Childress in particular - probably started by discussions with teammates (Favre) and spurred by his own experience. His disgraceful and arrogant behavior, lack of effort in both practice and games, inexplicable press conference undermining the coaches and team, not returning from Boston with the team, etc. made that very clear.

vince
11-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Add that to the way he treats people, and Childress made the right move. He made the right move bringing him in, the Vikings had to take a shot at him, but he is just a baby without his contract.
Giving away a 3rd round pick is definitely NOT the right move. It didn't work out. CLEARLY THE WRONG MOVE.

Cheesehead Craig
11-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Giving away a 3rd round pick is definitely NOT the right move. It didn't work out. CLEARLY THE WRONG MOVE.
I also thought it was a good move at the time for MN. They were all-in this season and were desperate for a deep threat WR. Given the past desire by Moss and Favre to play with each other (he he) it seemed like they would have a decent shot of reigning in Moss' downside. It was a high risk-high reward scenario and they crapped out.

Joemailman
11-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Definitely not the right move. What did they think they were getting? Did they think he was suddenly going to morph into a team-first Donald Driver-type?

vince
11-02-2010, 08:51 AM
The Vikings obviously thought it was the right move at the time too. Now we have the benefit of hindsight. IT WAS A TERRIBLE MOVE. That's blatantly obvious.

Rationalizing a bad move with the logic used to justify it beforehand doesn't make it a good move.

Scott Campbell
11-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I also thought it was a good move at the time for MN. They were all-in this season and were desperate for a deep threat WR. Given the past desire by Moss and Favre to play with each other (he he) it seemed like they would have a decent shot of reigning in Moss' downside. It was a high risk-high reward scenario and they crapped out.

Sometimes that 3rd round pick is what you need to move up and select Clay Mathews. It was a pretty steep price, and they're not done paying for it.

Iron Mike
11-02-2010, 08:54 AM

Yea but Favre is no MJ. If you win me 6 championships you can have any player you want.

Hmmm.....if MJ had ever been called for traveling when he traveled, or charging when he charged--how many championships do you think he'd have??

Cheesehead Craig
11-02-2010, 08:58 AM

Sometimes that 3rd round pick is what you need to move up and select Clay Mathews. It was a pretty steep price, and they're not done paying for it.
I'm thrilled this has blown up in their face. I could just see the logic of it from their standpoint at the time.

Joemailman
11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
From a purely football standpoint, the move made sense. It just seems the Vikings weren't prepared for what they would do when Moss decided to act like...well, Randy Moss. The successful organization seem have a plan and stick to it. The Vikings just seem to bounce from one crisis to another. Hey! Let's sign Jared Allen! Hey! Let's sign Brett Favre! hey! Let's trade for Randy Moss! Hey! Let's move to L.A.!

Scott Campbell
11-02-2010, 09:21 AM
It was a desperation move. Quality teams don't make knee jerk desperation moves. And this is a perfect example of why.

sharpe1027
11-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Hmmm.....if MJ had ever been called for traveling when he traveled, or charging when he charged--how many championships do you think he'd have??

It depends. Do any other players start getting called for traveling too...or just MJ? :lol:

Before he became the face of the NBA, he went through had a period of time that he wasn't getting calls even though the Pistons were beating the crap out of him.

Noodle
11-02-2010, 09:35 AM
So how much does it suck to be Major League Baseball?

No big-market east coast team in the WS, final game is the same night as a good MNF game, and just to pile on, all anyone wants to talk about is the Randy Moss disaster.

Bud has got to be wondering who he's got to pleasure to get a little media attention.

mraynrand
11-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Quality teams don't make knee jerk desperation moves. And this is a perfect example of why.

QFT

THANKSTED

Tarlam!
11-02-2010, 10:10 AM

I'm with the Bert-Lover on this. Sure it was a 3rd, but the potential for THIS SEASON, was a seasoned vet deep threat.

Dumping him for whatever reason takes balls. I'm not a Chilly fan, yet I applaud him for the way he dealt with Moss.

mraynrand
11-02-2010, 10:20 AM
So how much does it suck to be Major League Baseball?

No big-market east coast team in the WS, final game is the same night as a good MNF game, and just to pile on, all anyone wants to talk about is the Randy Moss disaster.

Bud has got to be wondering who he's got to pleasure to get a little media attention.

Jenn Sterger.

Seriously, I bet Chilly or Milf would switch jobs with Bud right about now.

denverYooper
11-02-2010, 11:03 AM
The real issue is that he just wasn't getting it done on the field. He was an even worse route runner, and refused to learn the offense.

He looked worse then the Randy Moss in Oakland. He simply was never a fit a west coast offense, and he showed it with his ability on the field, or lack there of it to actually run a route that wasn't a fly pattern, or a deep post.

I agree with all of that. For as much as I have ragged on Childress in the past, I really respect for the fact that he put his neck on the block on this one because he felt it was right for the team. After reading the article about Moss's treatment of the catering staff, I agree 100% with this move.

mngolf19
11-02-2010, 12:16 PM
From a purely football standpoint, the move made sense. It just seems the Vikings weren't prepared for what they would do when Moss decided to act like...well, Randy Moss. The successful organization seem have a plan and stick to it. The Vikings just seem to bounce from one crisis to another. Hey! Let's sign Jared Allen! Hey! Let's sign Brett Favre! hey! Let's trade for Randy Moss! Hey! Let's move to L.A.!

Please keep the LA crap out of the discussion. But they did follow a plan and up until this season it has worked. Which of the moves you stated above should they have not done given the results of the last 2 years and the expectations for this year? Had they won this year, none of the issues(crises) would have mattered to anyone.

mission
11-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Uh... the same amount.

You weren't being serious were you? Jordan won championships because he was the best player of his era in a five-player team sport.

Scott Campbell
11-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Please keep the LA crap out of the discussion.

That's the elephant in the room on every Viking discussion - till a deal gets done.

mission
11-02-2010, 12:22 PM

Please keep the LA crap out of the discussion. But they did follow a plan and up until this season it has worked. Which of the moves you stated above should they have not done given the results of the last 2 years and the expectations for this year? Had they won this year, none of the issues(crises) would have mattered to anyone.

Kind of. Issues and crisis don't just happen on accident. You can band aid together a team with poor leadership who might perform for awhile but eventually the method of construction creates the environment that fosters crisis.

It's not like they just started losing and people started hating Childress. Sooner or later, doing stupid shit catches up with you. You get away with it for awhile but eventually you get caught.

There's a reason Belicheck gets rid of Moss and he's 6-1. There's a reason Childress picks him up (with a more talented team) and he's 2-5.

mngolf19
11-02-2010, 12:23 PM

That's the elephant in the room on every Viking discussion - till a deal gets done.

I know, but it's like wishing an injury on someone in my eyes. No matter how deep my Packer hate can go, never would want to face them without their best players or to have them move or close shop. It's part of what makes the game fun. Hated Favre as a Packer but loved the competition of playing against him.

mraynrand
11-02-2010, 12:23 PM

I agree with all of that. For as much as I have ragged on Childress in the past, I really respect for the fact that he put his neck on the block on this one because he felt it was right for the team. After reading the article about Moss's treatment of the catering staff, I agree 100% with this move.

Randy Moss is a tool, but I have some empathy with him regarding the catering:

http://www.epicfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/hannibals-catering-fail.jpg

Lurker64
11-02-2010, 12:25 PM
I really hope the Vikings don't go to LA. I hope they stay in the Metrodome forever instead.

Scott Campbell
11-02-2010, 12:25 PM

I know, but it's like wishing an injury on someone in my eyes. No matter how deep my Packer hate can go, never would want to face them without their best players or to have them move or close shop. It's part of what makes the game fun. Hated Favre as a Packer but loved the competition of playing against him.

Well, I wouldn't with it on you. But I wouldn't mind it happening to some of your brethren.

mngolf19
11-02-2010, 12:26 PM

Kind of. Issues and crisis don't just happen on accident. You can band aid together a team with poor leadership who might perform for awhile but eventually the method of construction creates the environment that fosters crisis.

It's not like they just started losing and people started hating Childress. Sooner or later, doing stupid shit catches up with you. You get away with it for awhile but eventually you get caught.

There's a reason Belicheck gets rid of Moss and he's 6-1. There's a reason Childress picks him up (with a more talented team) and he's 2-5.

Yeah but what was Childress's record when he picked him up. 1-3? With WR being the glaring weakness of this team at the time. It was worth the risk, they weren't going to bring him back next year anyway and therefore the long term wouldn't have happened.

gbgary
11-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I just have to laugh at this whole mess due to the fact that there were so many Favre/Anti-TT fans that wanted this exact situation to arise in GB. What a f'in joke. Thank God for a GM with a brain on his shoulders that saw better.

Now you can see just exactly what happens when you let a player (Bert) dictate to the team how he will do things and the people he wants to do it with (not talking about Jenn here....).

i didn't want tt to go get moss back in the day but i did want him to make a move for a running back this year when grant went down. i still would like him to make a move but it's near impossible now. he's been a good gm as a whole but sometimes his inaction is infuriating/bewildering.

mngolf19
11-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Well, I wouldn't with it on you. But I wouldn't mind it happening to some of your brethren.

For those being quoted on here from Viking message boards, I'll fully support you on that.

mraynrand
11-02-2010, 12:30 PM

i didn't want tt to go get moss back in the day but i did want him to make a move for a running back this year when grant went down. i still would like him to make a move but it's near impossible now. he's been a good gm as a whole but sometimes his inaction is infuriating/bewildering.

Sometimes nothing can be a very cool hand!

http://redtreetimes.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/coolhandluke_560.jpg

gbgary
11-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Sometimes nothing can be a very cool hand!

http://redtreetimes.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/coolhandluke_560.jpg

lol

hoosier
11-02-2010, 12:38 PM

I see your point with Allen. With Favre and Moss, however, I think Joe has a major point. Before Favre the Vikings major strengths were the offensive and defensive lines and running back. They really didn't need a gun slinger at QB when a good game manager would have been sufficient, and sure enough, the gun slinger stuck it to them at just the wrong (right) moment. If instead of signing Favre they had gone out and signed the 2008 version of Kerry Collins (or stuck with Rosenfelds and emphasized game management with him) I expect they would have won the NFCN and made it to the NFCCG as well. Who knows if a ball control and defense-oriented Vikings team beats that charmed Saints team, but I bet they wouldn't have done any worse. You could argue that Moss was a desperation move made by a team that began the season with Super Bowl aspirations but then found itself on the verge of going down the toilet after the first quarter of the season. But why did things get to that point to begin with? Largely because Allen (together with the rest of the DL) and Favre have not come close to reproducing prior successes. And that is one of the risks that come with relying on big name acquisitions.

mission
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM

Yeah but what was Childress's record when he picked him up. 1-3? With WR being the glaring weakness of this team at the time. It was worth the risk, they weren't going to bring him back next year anyway and therefore the long term wouldn't have happened.

Right but a third-round pick *is* long term... even though I can't see Childress considering that in his decision making process given his lack of job security.

This all started in the playoffs last year and then started again with the Favre stuff and then having a different set of standards when AP wanted to go to his parade in Texas. It's just a culmination of a series of decisions which has forced his team to completely lose confidence in the direction of the team. Desperation moves send the wrong message to everyone.

1-3 is not time to sell the farm. There are going to be waiver-priority teams that completely pass on the "opportunity" to sign Moss (for no draft pick) while the Vikings gave up a 3rd round draft pick for him. Tell me how two teams could have such a huge variance in value of one player.

That right there is the difference between a perennial contender and a team that lucked into (drafting) Adrian Peterson and a magic season w/Brett Favre. Take the two away and there's absolutely nothing anyone can point to as proof of a properly ran organization.

mraynrand
11-02-2010, 12:52 PM

I see your point with Allen. With Favre and Moss, however, I think Joe has a major point. Before Favre the Vikings major strengths were the offensive and defensive lines and running back. They really didn't need a gun slinger at QB when a good game manager would have been sufficient, and sure enough, the gun slinger stuck it to them at just the wrong (right) moment. If instead of signing Favre they had gone out and signed the 2008 version of Kerry Collins (or stuck with Rosenfelds and emphasized game management with him) I expect they would have won the NFCN and made it to the NFCCG as well. Who knows if a ball control and defense-oriented Vikings team beats that charmed Saints team, but I bet they wouldn't have done any worse. You could argue that Moss was a desperation move made by a team that began the season with Super Bowl aspirations but then found itself on the verge of going down the toilet after the first quarter of the season. But why did things get to that point to begin with? Largely because Allen (together with the rest of the DL) and Favre have not come close to reproducing prior successes. And that is one of the risks that come with relying on big name acquisitions.

I disagree about Favre and Allen LAST YEAR. Look, you could imagine getting a QB a bit better than TJack in there and perhaps getting to the NFCC game, but you have to look at what Favre did. It wasn't just a good year for Favre, or a good year for a QB, it was possibly Favre's best year EVER at QB. Maybe with game manager they make the playoff and get bounced in the first round. Favre made teams look silly blitzing him all last year. he was totally on his game. This year is a different story, but last year, if the Vikings (yes, most of them, Peterson and Favre included) hadn't imploded in the NFCC game (like they usually do!) - they might have won it all.

HarveyWallbangers
11-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Uh... the same amount.

You weren't being serious were you? Jordan won championships because he was the best player of his era in a five-player team sport.[/quote]

Patrick Ewing took three giants steps. Hakeem walked on his little spin move. Laimbeer and Rodman got away with fouling Jordan more than they were called. Kobe walks. Magic palmed the ball. Anyways! The correct answer is 8, if Jordan's Dad hadn't been murdered (which sent him on some mission to prove he could be a major league baseball player). Would have been 8 consecutive.

Iron Mike
11-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Interest displayed by the F.I.B.s.....

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2010/11/1/1787372/vikings-waive-randy-moss

hoosier
11-02-2010, 01:57 PM

I disagree about Favre and Allen LAST YEAR. Look, you could imagine getting a QB a bit better than TJack in there and perhaps getting to the NFCC game, but you have to look at what Favre did. It wasn't just a good year for Favre, or a good year for a QB, it was possibly Favre's best year EVER at QB. Maybe with game manager they make the playoff and get bounced in the first round. Favre made teams look silly blitzing him all last year. he was totally on his game. This year is a different story, but last year, if the Vikings (yes, most of them, Peterson and Favre included) hadn't imploded in the NFCC game (like they usually do!) - they might have won it all.

But my point is that, with all of their talent at RB and OL/DL maybe they didn't need Favre and his career season in the first place. What if they had decided to go with a power running attack (with Taylor keeping AP from getting worn down) and a reigned in Sage Rosenfelds to manage the game at QB. They might have missed some of the 36-10 blowouts and had more close, low-scoring games. But the Vikings were 10-1 before losing three of their last five, and I'm guessing they could have come fairly close to duplicating that record without Favre and with a ball-control offense featuring AP.

packrulz
11-02-2010, 04:56 PM

I thought the Bears would be interested right away. I can see why they're letting Moss go, but why didn't they try to trade him to some team to recoup a draft pick or two?

mraynrand
11-02-2010, 04:59 PM

I thought the Bears would be interested right away. I can see why they're letting Moss go, but why didn't they try to trade him to some team to recoup a draft pick or two?

because they are morons

mraynrand
11-02-2010, 05:02 PM

But my point is that, with all of their talent at RB and OL/DL maybe they didn't need Favre and his career season in the first place. What if they had decided to go with a power running attack (with Taylor keeping AP from getting worn down) and a reigned in Sage Rosenfelds to manage the game at QB. They might have missed some of the 36-10 blowouts and had more close, low-scoring games. But the Vikings were 10-1 before losing three of their last five, and I'm guessing they could have come fairly close to duplicating that record without Favre and with a ball-control offense featuring AP.

OK. You could be right, but the guy would have to be reasonably better than TJack. Rosenrosen is adequate, sometimes very good for stretches and then he just absolutely decompensates. It's a horrible thing to watch (unless he's QBing the Vikes of course)

ThunderDan
11-02-2010, 05:39 PM

How about its past the trade deadline!

3irty1
11-02-2010, 05:45 PM

Yeah I'm thinking not. Before Favre their team was the schematic equivalent of the Badgers Basketball system. They'll make better teams play down to their level but will let worse teams hang around. You don't win anything with a system like that.

On Defense they run a Tampa-2 scheme with enough pieces put in to stop the run very well. Its a patient defense that limits big plays, stops the run, and forces you to move the chains slowly, smothering you. Makes your drives take forever.

If you pair a defense like this with a high powered passing offense like the Colts have, you win superbowls. If you pair this defense with a ball control offense like the Dolphins have, you're shortening the game to the point where upsets are likely. If upsets are likely, you can never be a superbowl favorite.

HowardRoark
11-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Restauranteur Describes Moss Outburst

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s1819871.shtml

HowardRoark
11-02-2010, 07:17 PM

They have that covered. They got a plan.

http://www.gettinziggywithit.com/index.php

vince
11-02-2010, 07:31 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/A-week-before-he-was-cut-Moss-exclaimed-Im-one-and-done.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

A week before he was cut, Moss exclaimed 'I'm one and done.'
Per source, situation was bubbling before New England game

As the stories pile up about Randy Moss’ brief four-game return to the Minnesota Vikings, the one that ended when he was officially placed on waivers by the team today, it becomes evident that no one could have been surprised it ended abruptly.

Certainly there could be a faction of players who don’t approve of the move that was made by coach Brad Childress – cutting the wide receiver only weeks after trading a third-round draft pick for him. But the locker room knew the situation was combustible.

As one league source explained to the National Football Post this afternoon, Moss was loudly complaining following the Green Bay game Oct. 24, his third in a Vikings uniform. This situation was coming to a head well before the team went to play at New England this past Sunday.

“I cannot play for this coach,” Moss said to teammates in the vicinity as the club departed Green Bay. “I’m one and done.”

The one Moss meant was one season. He got one more game before he was done. The Minneapolis Star Tribune details an incident in the team’s locker room just last week when Moss blew up at a caterer that was there to provide lunch to the team following practice.

“(Moss) came walking up," Gus Tinucci of Tinucci's explained to the Star Tribune. "There were a couple of guys that were in line. I knew Brett (Favre) put his helmet down. I met him carving. I was carving some meat for a guy and all of a sudden I heard all this screaming and I was like, 'Are you kidding me?' I knew who it was immediately. I looked up and there he was. (Moss said), 'I wouldn't feed this (expletive) to my (expletive) dog.' I was in shock. I couldn't believe it. It was quiet in there.”

A blow up over lunch certainly isn’t something that would have greased the skids for Moss. But it’s the kind of irrational behavior that’s marked his career. What happened was Moss locked horns with Childress. There are some players that may wholeheartedly agree with much of what Moss complained about when it came to the coach, but Childress wasn’t going to put up with a malcontent.

You would think Childress and the Vikings knew what they were getting. Hopefully, it’s a lesson learned for Childress, but you have to wonder if he’s going to be done himself in Minnesota following the season. There’s a fine in-house candidate right now to take over on an interim basis, defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

But can this team handle any more turmoil?

get louder at lambeau
11-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Wow. You know, I think I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the Vikes.

Wait, nevermind. I guess it was just gas.

I feel much better now.

bobblehead
11-02-2010, 10:28 PM

Uh... the same amount.

You weren't being serious were you? Jordan won championships because he was the best player of his era in a five-player team sport.

Patrick Ewing took three giants steps. Hakeem walked on his little spin move. Laimbeer and Rodman got away with fouling Jordan more than they were called. Kobe walks. Magic palmed the ball. Anyways! The correct answer is 8, if Jordan's Dad hadn't been murdered (which sent him on some mission to prove he could be a major league baseball player). Would have been 8 consecutive.[/quote]

Seriously, the NBA is more rigged than the WWE and Harry Reid elections combined.

mission
11-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Can we get the quote right so it doesn't attribute words to me that I never said?

(kinda embarrassed by that particularly :lol:)

Cheesehead Craig
11-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Can we get the quote right so it doesn't attribute words to me that I never said?

(kinda embarrassed that I love Brett Favre and wish he'd return my calls :lol:)

That better?

channtheman
11-02-2010, 11:02 PM

That better?

LMAO. :lol:

mission
11-02-2010, 11:34 PM

That better?

Closer, but I'm not sure anyone would buy that! :D

pbmax
11-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Anyways! The correct answer is 8, if Jordan's Dad hadn't allowed him to gamble (which forced David Stern to suspend him disguised as a mission to prove he could be a major league baseball player). Would have been 8 consecutive.
Fixed for conspiracy theorists.

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Anyways! The correct answer is 8, if Jordan's Dad hadn't allowed him to gamble (which forced David Stern to suspend him disguised as a mission to prove he could be a major league baseball player). Would have been 8 consecutive.

That's funny! I always thought this was the 'mainstream' explanation. I guess I was too busy at the time to sort it all out. So Jordan wasn't in trouble for gambling?

pbmax
11-03-2010, 07:51 AM

That's funny! I always thought this was the 'mainstream' explanation. I guess I was too busy at the time to sort it all out. So Jordan wasn't in trouble for gambling?
The evidence is all circumstantial no one close to the parties involved has ever leaked anything. The only hard evidence are indirect; a couple of undisputed large losses on the golf course during that time and that trip to Atlantic City during a playoff series with New York, I think, that the league admonished (fined?) him about.

Little Whiskey
11-03-2010, 10:01 AM

you beat me too it.

Guiness
11-03-2010, 11:51 AM

The evidence is all circumstantial no one close to the parties involved has ever leaked anything. The only hard evidence are indirect; a couple of undisputed large losses on the golf course during that time and that trip to Atlantic City during a playoff series with New York, I think, that the league admonished (fined?) him about.

You forgot about the text messages to Pete Rose!

(jk of course!)

Guiness
11-03-2010, 12:18 PM
http://clarkjudge.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6384866/25640666

A rumour of Moss to Oakland! ROFL!

ThunderDan
11-03-2010, 01:53 PM

I was around one of those large losses at a golf course near Naples.

Of course large losses happen around golf courses all of the time. It wasn't uncommon for a member to come into the golf shop on Friday morning after men's day with an envelope with $15,000 cash in it to pay off the prevoius nights gambling debts.

Little Whiskey
11-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Read on NLFPost (Brandt's website) that the Titans put in a waiver claim on him

denverYooper
11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Read on NLFPost (Brandt's website) that the Titans put in a waiver claim on him

Sounds like they got him.

pbmax
11-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Glazer (via PFT) reports the Rams did not put in a claim.

pbmax
11-03-2010, 03:38 PM
He's a Titan. Good luck Jeff Fisher, we are all counting on you to flame out of the playoffs.

Cheesehead Craig
11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Good on the Rams for not putting in a claim. They have a good thing going there and Bradford sure as hell didn't need that headache coming to town.

BobDobbs
11-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Not a huge shock, but it does mean that TT didn't place a claim on Moss because we came before the Titans in the waiver order. Good call, but interesting.

Moss could have played against both teams that cut him this year after they put him on waivers.

denverYooper
11-03-2010, 04:41 PM

The Titans were the only team to put in a claim on him, per Schefter.

Scott Campbell
11-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I wonder if Bert had anything to do with Randy engineering his way off that team.

MadScientist
11-03-2010, 04:47 PM

The Titans were the only team to put in a claim on him, per Schefter.
All that speculation on how lots of teams would claim him, and only 1 did.

Still it leave the Vikings off the hook for the ~$4M. At this point I'm feeling sorry enough for them, that I don't mind them not having to pay the Jerk. If they actually start winning, I'd wish the pain on them.

pbmax
11-03-2010, 05:30 PM
According to the JSO Sports Webpage, Randy Moss is still a Viking. They seem to have some slack to pick up with Greg gone.

Or did they put a notice in the Classifieds?

superfan
11-03-2010, 07:19 PM

MJZiggy, you should sue. Your name is being associated with the Vikings, presumably without your permission.

MJZiggy
11-03-2010, 08:29 PM

MJZiggy, you should sue. Your name is being associated with the Vikings, presumably without your permission.

I swear, fans of that stupid team cannot even spell the owner's name right. It just ain't that hard. I dunno, superfan. That site has a "Support Ziggy" button on it. Ya suppose they're gonna wanna be supporting me?

Joemailman
11-03-2010, 08:32 PM
This should be your next avatar:

http://www.gettinziggywithit.com/images/home/ziggy.gif

MJZiggy
11-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Maybe on a Ravens fansite were I ever to post to one, but it's a little purple for the decor around here...

mission
11-03-2010, 09:24 PM

Maybe on a Ravens fansite were I ever to post to one, but it's a little purple for the decor around here...

Glad you think so. :D

Lurker64
11-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Isn't the Vikings' owner named "Zygi"? Did the people who made that website just fail?

Iron Mike
11-04-2010, 05:17 AM
http://galacticsupermarket.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/captainobvious.jpg