PDA

View Full Version : (surprisingly) bright spots

RashanGary
11-01-2010, 04:41 PM
List some guys who have out played what you thought they were capable of.

RashanGary
11-01-2010, 04:43 PM
I'll start with Charlie Peprah. I've always considered him to be roster fodder, barely worth the equipment he wears on Sunday. Turns out he's kind of an alright safety. He's played far beyond my expectations.

Bossman641
11-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Tramon
Peprah
Definitely Wilson
I know it was short-term but Neal looked better than expected
Bishop
Quarless has surprised me a little considering I thought he would be inactive all year but he's very inconsistent.

Brandon494
11-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Peprah, Zombo, and Hawk were the first to come to mind.

Bishop and Shields could also be considered but I've been hyping them up for a while so wasnt really surprised by how they have been playing.

Would be nice if a player on offense would step up.

Joemailman
11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Peprah - thought he was just a special teams guy

Shields - thought he was an interesting project.

Bishop - he's playing better than Barnett was.

Wilson - another guy who I thought was an interesting project.

Raji - I thought he'd be good, but he's been great. The Packers MVP so far.

vince
11-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I was gonna start a thread about how Bishop is in the process of proving me and others, including some coaches, wrong about him being a liability as an every-down backer.

Chillar is coming in for him in nickel I believe, but he hasn't been exposed in coverage as I feared he would be. It would appear that his instincts may make up for his relative lack of speed/agility.

Hopefully, I'm not proven wrong again by saying I was wrong about him prematurely.

denverYooper
11-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Bulaga. I figured he'd be good but I'm surprised by how quickly he's been learning that RT position.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Clifton. I thought he was done after the first 3 or so weeks of the season. Turns out the old boy just needed to get healthy again. I enjoy being wrong on some occasions.

red
11-01-2010, 05:41 PM
bishop for sure

tramon might just make the pro bowl this year. no seriously, they were talking yesterday about how he might be the best CB in the nfl

everyone on the d-line that has played and has been brought in. these guys have been awesome

hawk, a lot of people wanted him gone this offseason, remember? he's got a chance at being a pro bowler this year

CM3- i mean honestly. i knew he was good, but i never expected him to be the beast he has been this year. the D is a whole different demon when he's in there

peprah. i didn't even know he was still on the team 3 weeks ago. now he looks like a solid starter

b-jack. when given chances and enough carries he actually looks pretty good

StPaulPackFan
11-01-2010, 05:51 PM
I think the combination of Hawk and Bishop has been a pleasant surprise. I can think of several instances where Hawk gets initial contact to hold a player up and then Bishop lays the wood. I think their styles of play really compliment one another well. One is very assignment sure and the other is a natural hitter.

mraynrand
11-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Chillar is coming in for him in nickel I believe, but he hasn't been exposed in coverage as I feared he would be. It would appear that his ability to grab uniforms may make up for his relative lack of speed/agility.

fixed

Cheesehead Craig
11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Clifton. I thought he was done after the first 3 or so weeks of the season. Turns out the old boy just needed to get healthy again. I enjoy being wrong on some occasions.
Agree. Thought he was done as well.

Brando19
11-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Ranked in order:

1. Tramon Williams: Top 10 CB in the NFL
2. Bishop: Hasn't missed a beat in for Barnett.
3. Peprah: Holding the fort down with a beat up secondary.
4. Masthay: Had some real good punts this year.
5. B-Jack: When he gets the chance, he shines.

gbgary
11-01-2010, 06:43 PM
anybody that's come in to replace a starter on the D. williams has to be the biggest in my mind though. this group has showed more heart and professionalism. they'll make a mistake now and then but what defense doesn't? they've carried the team because the o has really been offensive.

Guiness
11-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Peprah has indeed been a way pleasant surprise. Never thought he was starting quality.

Clifton - didn't think he COULD get healthy again. Man, that guy is going to be using a walker before he's 50.

steve823
11-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I agree with everything said here, many pleasant surprises. But how does this all come to play once the starters our back ?

Does Harris come back and let Woodson move around again? Does Bigby take the starting job by default over Peprah ( I HOPE NOT :lol: ). Do we keep Hawk and restructure his contract or is he gone like many thought he would be at the beginning of the season ? What does Bishop's play mean for Barnett's future and/or Hawks. Will Bulaga be moved to LT or stay at RT, while we find a successor for Clifton?

Many questions which can't be answered, but it's going to be interesting to see how everything unfolds !

mission
11-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I agree with everything said here, many pleasant surprises. But how does this all come to play once the starters our back ?

Does Harris come back and let Woodson move around again? Does Bigby take the starting job by default over Peprah ( I HOPE NOT :lol: ). Do we keep Hawk and restructure his contract or is he gone like many thought he would be at the beginning of the season ? What does Bishop's play mean for Barnett's future and/or Hawks. Will Bulaga be moved to LT or stay at RT, while we find a successor for Clifton?

Many questions which can't be answered, but it's going to be interesting to see how everything unfolds !

This is one that has kind of been worrying me. Our defense has really toughened up with Bishop in there.

StPaul made a good point about him and Hawk's styles complimenting each other so well. I've noticed that too. I almost don't want Barnett back in there and I've never been sold on Chillar. Seems like only bad stuff happens around him.

mmmdk
11-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I think all players I wanted to mention is here - so I bow to Dom Capers as he has the D ready - whoever Dom's got available.

pbmax
11-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Don't anoint Raji yet. He got turned quite a bit by Mangold and Co. in the Jets game. But he held up effort wise the entire game. He's still learning.

1. Peprah - just did not see competent coming from him

2. Bishop - did not see him being this consistent. Perhaps the peace of mind of knowing he is the starter has made him short circuit less.

3. Wilson - Make some plays? Sure, I could have seen that. Get better each week and hold up well against run? Didn't see that.

4. Capers - despite his rep taking a hit last year for pulling in his horns, he has continued to send numbers to try to ratchet up pressure. And does not seem to have dialed much back in terms of scheme. For that reason, Hawk and Collins might be the NFL for putting everyone around them in the right place.

Still need an OLB pass rusher to step up. Doesn't look like Zombo so far, but one of the new LBs supposedly has some rush in him.

steve823
11-01-2010, 10:31 PM

This is one that has kind of been worrying me. Our defense has really toughened up with Bishop in there.

StPaul made a good point about him and Hawk's styles complimenting each other so well. I've noticed that too. I almost don't want Barnett back in there and I've never been sold on Chillar. Seems like only bad stuff happens around him.

Agreed on Chillar. I never really liked him and I always thought we overpayed him. I mean supposedly he's our best coverage linebacker ,but I personally don't see. Barnett is a great player and I doubt the packers get rid of him. I hope they don't have to get rid of Hawk or Bishop ,but it might be hard to keep everyone.