PDA

View Full Version : Bratwurst Eating Contest

Joemailman
08-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Japanese man eats record 58 brats in Wisconsin contest
COLIN FLY
Associated Press
SHEBOYGAN, Wis. - Takeru Kobayashi grinded through a record 58 brats at the Johnsonville World Bratwurst Eating Championship on Saturday, easily winning another tasty title and slicing through the record of 34 1/2 set last year by Sonya Thomas.

"They're good," Kobayashi said through translator Robert Ikeda. "I want to take some home."

Kobayashi earned $8,000 for his effort. There was no extra charge for the 16,820 calories, 1,450 grams of fat and 19 days worth of the recommended amount of sodium he consumed in front of a crowd of some 3,500 people attending Sheboygan Jaycees Brat Days.

The 160-pound Kobayashi, of Nagano, Japan, is a seasoned veteran at 27 and by far the world's best competitive eater. But he narrowly beat 22-year-old Joey Chestnut of San Jose, Calif., in this year's Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest on the Fourth of July in New York.

At Saturday's Showdown in Sheboygan, competitors had 10 minutes to eat as many brats as possible with no buns. The Fourth of July contest is 12 minutes and competitors must eat the buns.

"Brats are a little bit harder to eat," Kobayashi said. "With hot dogs, it's more volume. You're actually dipping the buns in water."

Chestnut finished a distant second with 45 brats and said his performance couldn't have been wurst.

"I wasn't able to prepare for this contest like the Fourth of July," Chestnut said. "I know I could have done better, that's what hurts the most."

Patrick Bertoletti finished third with 39, Bob Shoudt had 38 1/2 and Tim Janus finished with 37. Thomas couldn't even match her record of last year, with just 34 brats.

The pace was quick early - Kobayashi ate 23 in 3 minutes, compared to Chestnut's 21. At the 4:57 mark, Kobayashi passed the previous record. He hit 50 brats with 1:40 to go while Chestnut lagged behind with 41.

Thomas said the pace affected her.

"Eaters were five ahead of me (early) and I was like, 'gosh,'" she said. "Maybe that's why I slowed down."

After the end of the contest, Kobayashi flexed his arm and pulled up his shirt to reveal his brat-filled stomach.

He said he was going for 50, and plans to come back next year to break another barrier.

"I want to do 60," he said.

Bertoletti said he fared surprisingly well by using a secret, shunned weapon - ketchup.

"I'm kind of ashamed because you're not supposed to eat brats with ketchup," he said. "I tried to hide it so no one could see."

But the spectacle celebrating overindulgence was equaled by the colorful crowd.

Fans held up signs in both English and Japanese in honor of Kobayashi. One sign read: "Eat Sausage and Puke? Never."

Jake Virant, 19, of Sheboygan, was at the competition to see Janus and had his face painted like him but was also wearing a colored styrofoam brat as a hat, reminiscent of the Cheeseheads that invade at Lambeau Field for every Green Bay Packers game.

"It looks like a lot of fun," Virant said.

Janus, a day trader in New York with ambitions of owning a pizzeria, said he never expected to have fans. He said he got into the gluttonous sport because he wanted to spice up his days off.

"I like food, the flavor and I have a high tolerance for pain," he said.

Jordy Maass, of Sheboygan, said he wanted to join the amateur contest but got there too late so he had to settle to "watch how poorly these guys do." Nathan Jackson, of Sheboygan, won that contest with 17 brats in 10 minutes.

Maass' main reason to show up? Kobayashi.

"He's amazing," he said.

George Shea, chairman of the International Federation of Competitive Eating, said that he sees the future of competitive eating developing like an extreme sport.

"The crowd loves it," he said. "What they see, it's not what they expect."

Anybody make it to this contest? I don't know what's more gross. The guy who ate 58, or the guy who ate 39 with ketchup. I thought my brother-in-law was the only person to ever put ketchup on a brat.

TPF
08-06-2006, 09:26 PM
I can't even eat 10 in an hour.

the_idle_threat
08-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Damn you all ... I like brats with ketchup! :razz:

Scott Campbell
08-06-2006, 10:25 PM
http://www.gudlyf.com/media/farley-superfan-pork-sausage.jpg

I don't know what's worse. Woofing down 50+ brats at one sitting, or the thought of Farley wearing that damned Bears jacket.

red
08-06-2006, 10:30 PM
that guys a freak, i've seen him on tv throwing down hot dogs like crazy

GrnBay007
08-06-2006, 10:34 PM
There was no extra charge for the 16,820 calories, 1,450 grams of fat and 19 days worth of the recommended amount of sodium he consumed

Gross!! that should be considered a suicide attempt!!

Deputy Nutz
08-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Japanese man eats record 58 brats in Wisconsin contest

this is a huge understatement, Kobayashi is simply no man.

Bretsky
08-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Damn you all ... I like brats with ketchup! :razz:

Me too; and people who first cook the brats in beer and then finish them on the grill have no idea what they are missing.

Badgepack
08-06-2006, 11:01 PM
I couldn't ear a brat without ketchup, didn't know it was abnormal.

Deputy Nutz
08-06-2006, 11:09 PM
You ketchup eaters make me sick

the_idle_threat
08-06-2006, 11:14 PM
58 brats in 10 minutes would make me sick ...

but I think I could do it. :twisted:

Bretsky
08-06-2006, 11:21 PM

No ketchup on the brat ? That's like forgetting the jelly on a PJ Sandwich.

Gotta Cook em halfway on grill and get a good char, and finish them in beer and onions on the stove. Ketchup seals the deal.

Cheers,
B

Deputy Nutz
08-06-2006, 11:30 PM
"I just ate Kobayashi Bitches!!!"
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/doubleohfour/happymeal.jpg

Deputy Nutz
08-06-2006, 11:31 PM

Gotta Cook em halfway on grill and get a good char, and finish them in beer and onions on the stove. Ketchup seals the deal.

Cheers,
B

Put a little mustard and some grilled onions on that sausage. Ketchup is for little two year olds. Break the habbit, and you will learn to love a brat even more.

GrnBay007
08-06-2006, 11:40 PM
A brat is not really a Wisconsin brat without sauerkraut.

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2006, 11:48 PM
A good brat is like a good steak. You shouldn't need anything on it. That being said, I'll eat a brat in many different ways. Some times with nothing added, sometimes kraut, sometimes ketchup and mustard (always have to have mustard if I have ketchup), sometimes everything.

the_idle_threat
08-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Maybe that's the problem ... I've never had a brat that can be compared to a good steak.

And I never have the brat with ketchup alone ... I like to dress it up with ketchup, mustard and onions ... pretty much like a hot dog.

After all, what's the difference? Lips and assholes are lips and assholes.

Partial
08-07-2006, 01:46 AM
do you guys go clements or usingers for your sausage needs milwaukeeans?

the_idle_threat
08-07-2006, 01:48 AM
I smell a tasty poll cookin'.

red
08-07-2006, 08:03 AM
how the hell can someone claim about the beer brats?

i guess i do something ground breaking. I cook em in beer AND put ketchup and mustard on them. and others can use the onions that were cooking with the brats in the beer

but i f'ing hate onions with a passion. i'd love to kick in the guys head with a steel toe that thought it would be cute to chop up an onion real small and throw them all over a mCdonalds cheesburger.... asshole

the_idle_threat
08-07-2006, 08:38 AM
We can definitely sense the passion ...

woodbuck27
08-07-2006, 09:00 AM

Cheers,
B

mmmm! Nice.

The age old question.

Beer cooked first then Bar B Q or beer cooked second, (frypan with onions) after searing them on a Bar B Q?

Try substituting mild Chili sause or salsa for ketchup. Also good with bacon or ham and eggs and a stack of toast.

red
08-07-2006, 09:04 AM

Cheers,
B

mmmm! Nice.

The age old question.

Beer cooked first then Bar B Q or beer cooked second, (frypan with onions) after searing them on a Bar B Q?

Try substituting mild Chili sause or salsa for ketchup. Also good with bacon or ham and eggs and a stack of toast.

i cook em in beer and onions before the grill, but sometimes after the grill i put them back in the beer

i'm usually too hungry to wait for a second soaking

woodbuck27
08-07-2006, 09:07 AM

Hilarious!!!! :mrgreen: X 100 and first thing in the AM.

Way :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: too funny.

Badgepack
08-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Normal brat cooking, boil first(no beer), then grill. Servec with raw onions, sauerkraut, ketchup. Quicker and easiest.

Perferred method, grill first, then boil with beer, Secret Stadim Sauce, and onion. They tast better but too much work. Serve the same.

Plus, get the brat buns from the bakery, they are bigger to hold all the fixings.

Scott Campbell
08-07-2006, 09:14 AM

Hilarious!!!! :mrgreen: X 100 and first thing in the AM.

Way :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: too funny.

Is that Cletidus Hunt?

woodbuck27
08-07-2006, 09:14 AM
A good brat is like a good steak. You shouldn't need anything on it. That being said, I'll eat a brat in many different ways. Some times with nothing added, sometimes kraut, sometimes ketchup and mustard (always have to have mustard if I have ketchup), sometimes everything.

Try a Brat or any larger sausage, with homemade sweet mustard pickles sometime. Better than any plain mustard.

and Ziggy is right. Sauerkraut too. Extra special with tomatoes choped in the sauerkraut and cooked (microwave) with a little garlic.

I had sausage last night - Bar B Q, and ate TWO :oops: with a lovely tossed salad and a couple of cold Molson Export Ale.

Very good !

Deputy Nutz
08-07-2006, 10:11 AM
What the hell, why don't you just build a mother fricking salad on top of your brat. You commies.

GBRulz
08-07-2006, 12:15 PM
What the hell, why don't you just build a mother fricking salad on top of your brat. You commies.

LMAO

ketchup and a pile of onions will do it for me. Personally, I think sauerkraut is the most god awful smell in the world so I stay away from that.

Best brats that I've ever had..... Maplewood Meats. They are 5 miles west of GB on Hwy 29. If you are coming to a game here, def stop there and pick some up for tailgating.

Scott Campbell
08-07-2006, 12:36 PM
[quote=Dr. Nutz].....I think sauerkraut is the most god awful smell in the world so I stay away from that.

Amen sista. That stuff is putrid.

Murphy37
08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm getting here late, but it needs to be said anyway. HOT PEPPERS! or a hot pepper mix, like what is used on Hot beef sandwiches. Habaneros, Jalepenos, I don't give a shit, just put them on there mixed with onions and minced garlic. I like a little Franks Red Hot splashed on top as well with a pile of Kraut on top. The Bakery bun, which was already mentioned, is also key for the "hot" brat recipe.

TPF
08-07-2006, 02:48 PM
IF I even smell saurkreaut I'll get queezy, it's horrible.

CaliforniaCheez
08-08-2006, 08:59 PM

I'm on the side of Dr. Nutz and understand the comment about steak.

Onions fried first, then in with the beer, add brats to beer, finnish the brat on the grill, then only a few onions, only a little sauerkraut, only a little brown mustard. You don't want to overpower the brat. Condiments should compliment the taste of the brat.

I have never, ever, in my life seen a person put ketchup or catsup on a brat!!! I would instantly think the person was some kind of spy or 5th columnist or mentally ill for doing that.
Who would ever teach another human to engage in such behavior?

58 brats would take me a week.

woodbuck27
08-08-2006, 10:36 PM

I'm on the side of Dr. Nutz and understand the comment about steak.

Onions fried first, then in with the beer, add brats to beer, finnish the brat on the grill, then only a few onions, only a little sauerkraut, only a little brown mustard. You don't want to overpower the brat. Condiments should compliment the taste of the brat.

I have never, ever, in my life seen a person put ketchup or catsup on a brat!!! I would instantly think the person was some kind of spy or 5th columnist or mentally ill for doing that.
Who would ever teach another human to engage in such behavior?

58 brats would take me a week.

Your a Brat Connoisseur. :mrgreen:

Iron Mike
09-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I can't believe summer's over already..... :sad:

http://www.galen-frysinger.ws/us/sheboygan24.jpg

oregonpackfan
09-07-2006, 10:06 AM
A brat is not really a Wisconsin brat without sauerkraut.

Amen to that, Sister GrenBay007! Also a good Wisconsin brat has to include mustard as well!

The Costcos out here in Oregon do sell Johnsonville, WI brats. When the Packer games are televised locally, my ex-Wisconsinite buddies and I treat ourselves to 1-2 apiece. Not the scores of brats that freak consumes. How can one savor the taste while scarfing them all down?

OPF