PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Week

vince
11-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Driver has been declared OUT for the game on Sunday night.

Mike Montgomery has been waived, presumably to make room for Harris or Bigby.

vince
11-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Aaron Rodgers spoke about the state of the team and the Cowboys on Rome today.

I like where we’re at, in the league in our division by a half game. I don’t thing we’ve played our best football, especially on offense. But it’s encouraging to see our defense play the way they did last week against the Jets and hold them scoreless. Offensively we can do a lot more.

We’ve been hurt by some injuries, obviously, to a couple key players. We still feel like we haven’t made enough plays on offense and that starts with me.

I’ve got to play better in the second half of the season.

ROME: What kind of changes need to be made on offense?

It’s tough when you lose a guy like (tight end) Jemichael Finley, who was such an integral part of our offense. He was a guy who really made things go and teams had to really find a way to try to slow him down, which opened up lanes for other guys.

In his absence and Ryan Grant’s absence, we’ve seen a lot of two high safeties, a lot of seven-man boxes. So I think it’s going to be important for us, once the weather gets cold, we’ve got to find way to continue to improve our run game and that in turn is going to help get us those one-on-ones outside and that’s when we make our hay and Greg Jennings has really come on the last couple week and we’ve got to find a way to get him the ball as well.

On the Cowboys:

From the highlights, it looks like they had a couple bad breaks offensively. But you look at their defense and it’s familiar faces. Pretty much the same guys they had last year and for whatever reason, as a unit they’re not playing as well as they have in previous years.

But we expect their best football game. It’s Sunday Night Football, those games always add extra intensity to the fold and it’s Lambeau Field. A lot of teams come into Green Bay and they’re excited to play here and we know we’re going to get Dallas’ best shot. … They’re going to try to play hard for coach to keep his job. It’s going to be a tough game for us.

Little Whiskey
11-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Driver has been shut out of the past two games. I only remember him having two passes thrown his way in those two games

gbgary
11-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Driver has been shut out of the past two games. I only remember him having two passes thrown his way in those two games

and things were looking so good for him too. shame that quad injury was so bad.

Spaulding
11-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Driver's had quadricep issues which has greatly affected his play. In fact he's likely out this coming week. Hopefully with almost three weeks of rest he'll be healthy for the stretch.

Now if we just get him some stick'em like the WR had in the movie the Replacements.

vince
11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Pat Lee is also highly likely to be OUT for this game as well. With Driver out, McCarthy said that they'll have to look at who should return kicks, since Jordy will have a prominent role as a receiver this week.

vince
11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7274305.html

Phillips preaching fundamentals
Coach says Cowboys lagging in all the basics

By TOM ORSBORN
San Antonio Expres-News
Nov. 2, 2010, 12:15AM

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips says his team's problems stem from poor fundamentals.
IRVING — Five weeks of training camp apparently wasn't enough for the Dallas Cowboys to get the fundamentals down.

With the Cowboys a pitiful 1-6 and showing no signs of having what it takes to win anytime soon, coach Wade Phillips announced Monday that the team's main problem is that it's not fundamentally sound in all three phases of the game.

Phillips said he came to that conclusion after watching video of games from this season and 2009, when the Cowboys finished 11-5 and won the NFC East.

"That's the biggest thing I noticed overall is the fundamentals - running, blocking, tackling, catching, covering, throwing - we're not as good as we were," Phillips said. "I looked at it long and hard, spent a lot of time on it. You're looking for answers. That's what we have to go back to."

To get the basics down, Phillips said the team will be in training camp mode this week even as back-to-back road games against division leaders loom. The Cowboys play at Green Bay (5-3) on Sunday and at the New York Giants (5-2) on Nov. 14.

"The game-planning isn't as important as the other right now," Phillips said.

Phillips was at a loss to explain how a team loaded with veterans and sporting an experienced coaching staff could backslide so dramatically. He said he's never been associated with a team that's regressed as much.

One theory is that even though the club's camp was the league's longest, holding it in three cities and two time zones wasn't conducive to a good working atmosphere.

"But I will say this does happen," Phillips said. "There are good teams in this league - teams that won last year, won divisions - and the last-place team comes up and wins that division. It's happening this year. Some division winners are not doing real well."

Phillips also talked about "changing personnel" but declined to reveal any specifics.

"We haven't discussed that yet," he said.

Before Phillips' news conference, three team captains rallied around him, saying the blame for the epic disaster of a season belongs to them. The votes of confidence from Bradie James, Keith Brooking and Jason Witten came one day after owner Jerry Jones offered vague replies to questions about Phillips' future.

"We roll with Wade no matter what," James said.

Lackluster defense has been one of the Cowboys' biggest problems. After giving up an average of 15.6 points per game last season, Dallas is yielding 26.7 this season.

Even though Phillips coordinates the unit, Brooking absolved him of blame.

"We're the ones who need to take the responsibility," the linebacker said. "We're the only ones who can turn it around. Coach Phillips isn't going to make plays."

While critics viewed Sunday's embarrassing 35-17 loss to Jacksonville as proof Phillips has lost control of the team, the players dismissed that view.

"He's handling it as best as he can," James said. "He had no idea we'd be 1-6. The guy's been in the league longer than I've been alive, so we just lean on whatever he can give us."

red
11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
this game scares the hell out of me. the cowgirls look horrible, and last week they looked like a team that has quit.

but this week the whole team has been called out and we could be facing a team with a lot to prove and with a ton of motivation for this game

Joemailman
11-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Cowboys defense is getting torched through the air. They've given up 15 TD passes despite facing the least amount of pass attempts in the NFL. They're not stopping the run either, giving up 4.5 YPC.

Offensively, only Denver is worse at rushing the football. The Cowboys can move the ball through the air, or at least they could when Romo was in there. They certainly do have talent at the WR/TE positions. However, no running game and an immobile QB is a bad combination against the Packers.

The Packers win this game if they play relatively error-free football. The Cowboys will have some motivation, but I think the Packers have more to be motivated about. I don't think they'll look past the Cowboys.

Tarlam!
11-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Cowboys won't win at Lambeau. The Packers might be limping, but this week, Rodgers opens up and the offense goes wild. Take it to the bank.

mission
11-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Anyone going to this game? I'm flying into Milwaukee Saturday for a wedding and a bunch of friends are already going so I might try to get some tickets and make the trip.

Can I get tickets on the spot if I arrive early or do I need to do stubhub? Just don't really want them shipped and then miss 'em without a stationary location. Hoping this is possible to pull off last minute without costing a mini-fortune. Any advice from the locals?

Freak Out
11-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I'd be suprised to see us blow them out.

The Leaper
11-02-2010, 09:31 PM
This is now the Cowboys Super Bowl. Sunday night on primetime. If Jon Kitna doesn't throw 4 picks, the Cowboys stand a very good chance of pulling an upset. We have to pressure Kitna early and often.

HowardRoark
11-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Anyone going to this game? I'm flying into Milwaukee Saturday for a wedding and a bunch of friends are already going so I might try to get some tickets and make the trip.

Can I get tickets on the spot if I arrive early or do I need to do stubhub? Just don't really want them shipped and then miss 'em without a stationary location. Hoping this is possible to pull off last minute without costing a mini-fortune. Any advice from the locals?

I went to the Dallas game last year with my kid without any tickets. I waited until 5 minutes prior (go to the corner by the Hutson Center Field) and bought $250 seats for $100 from a guy…..great seats. Most of the others were still trying to get a premium; I think he just wanted to go home.

Little Whiskey
11-02-2010, 09:44 PM

I went to the Dallas game last year with my kid without any tickets. I waited until 5 minutes prior (go to the corner by the Hutson Center Field) and bought $250 seats for $100 from a guy…..great seats. Most of the others were still trying to get a premium; I think he just wanted to go home.

I'm gonna guess their will be tickets available at the game as the cowboys aren't playing well. the longer you wait on game day the more the ticket price will go down.

ThunderDan
11-02-2010, 10:07 PM

This is one of the Gold package games so I will be there! We plan on being up by 3pm to drink and get ready for the game. Would love to meet anyone for a beer or two.

Little Whiskey
11-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I would have gone to this game, but its the week that we pack for deer camp. normally we are already at deer camp for the second Gold Ticket game.

mission
11-02-2010, 10:25 PM

This is one of the Gold package games so I will be there! We plan on being up by 3pm to drink and get ready for the game. Would love to meet anyone for a beer or two.

Yeah, that sounds cool. We'll have to PM numbers this week and make it happen. I plan to make a whole day out of it so I'll be up there early(ish ... depending on how crazy the wedding reception is). :)

mission
11-02-2010, 10:27 PM

I'm gonna guess their will be tickets available at the game as the cowboys aren't playing well. the longer you wait on game day the more the ticket price will go down.

That's good to know. I haven't been to GB for a game since I was a kid so this is pretty exciting for me. Glad I can just get tickets up there. I like the whole "in-hand" method of purchase. Also plan to take my wife to the Giants game the day after XMAS too if anyone's going to that.

Tarlam!
11-03-2010, 01:40 AM

It's sooooooo too bad Michelle went south. She was great for this kind of thing.

MJZiggy
11-03-2010, 05:49 AM

That's good to know. I haven't been to GB for a game since I was a kid so this is pretty exciting for me. Glad I can just get tickets up there. I like the whole "in-hand" method of purchase. Also plan to take my wife to the Giants game the day after XMAS too if anyone's going to that.

But if you do go with StubHub, they have a will call window set up. Last time I went, I picked the tickets up at a hotel a block or so from the stadium. For the Pack/Redskins game, they had a window right in the stadium. That said, we scalp Ravens tickets a couple times a year which is fine if you don't mind the possibility of not getting them and going to the bar across the street to watch the game.

pittstang5
11-03-2010, 06:38 AM
this game scares the hell out of me. the cowgirls look horrible, and last week they looked like a team that has quit.

but this week the whole team has been called out and we could be facing a team with a lot to prove and with a ton of motivation for this game

Agree. This has "Trap Game" written all over it. The Packers confidence right now is high, which is good. As long as they don't let it get to their heads.

vince
11-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Cowboys defense is getting torched through the air. They've given up 15 TD passes despite facing the least amount of pass attempts in the NFL. They're not stopping the run either, giving up 4.5 YPC.

Offensively, only Denver is worse at rushing the football. The Cowboys can move the ball through the air, or at least they could when Romo was in there. They certainly do have talent at the WR/TE positions. However, no running game and an immobile QB is a bad combination against the Packers.

The Packers win this game if they play relatively error-free football. The Cowboys will have some motivation, but I think the Packers have more to be motivated about. I don't think they'll look past the Cowboys.
Probably the kiss of death, but I'm with you here Joe. The Cowboys are not good in the trenches, and give up a ton of points. I see little chance of the Packers coming out flat at home on Sunday night before the bye. The Packers match up very well on both sides of the ball. Solid football will win this game. The Packers are teh ones playing it.

Cheesehead Craig
11-03-2010, 09:24 AM

Agree. This has "Trap Game" written all over it. The Packers confidence right now is high, which is good. As long as they don't let it get to their heads.

Yep, too many things are aligning themselves that we're supposed to lay a massive whopping on Dallas. I still believe we'll win, but perhaps not as convincingly as many want.

Joemailman
11-03-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't see this is a trap game. Usually a trap game is a game the week before a "big" game. With no game next week, I expect the Packers should have no problem focusing on the Cowboys.

Scott Campbell
11-03-2010, 05:34 PM

This team has lost 3 games by a total of 9 points. I can't imagine them overlooking anybody.

hoosier
11-03-2010, 06:53 PM
If you just look at statistics it is hard to believe that the Cowboys have been so bad this year. They rank 14th in total offense and total defense, though a lot lower in total points. Their turnover differential isn't THAT bad. They must be making a lot of mistakes and having trouble on 3rd down to have generated such a crappy start.

vince
11-03-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm pretty sure they're horrendous when it comes to penalties. They have been in the couple games I've seen them. Just an undisciplined team.

Joemailman
11-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Vince is right about the penalties. Only the Packers are worse, and the Packers have improved lately. Cowboys are -11 in turnover differential. Only Denver and San Francisco are worse. Being penalty and turnover prone will get you beat in the NFL.

hoosier
11-03-2010, 07:12 PM
I guess undisciplined isn't too far removed from going into the tank, which is what we saw with them last week. Hopefully they don't come out motivated and pissed after a week of hearing how they lay down and quit against Jax.

Tony Oday
11-04-2010, 03:56 PM
B Jack breaks off two 60 yard TDs, Jordy gets one, Jennings gets one, Quarless gets one and so does Hawk. 45-3 we beat them down for hurting John Jurkovic all those years ago!

Wade Philips is the first coach to be fired in the 3rd quarter Jones takes over and that is how they get a 3.

pbmax
11-04-2010, 04:09 PM
B Jack breaks off two 60 yard TDs, Jordy gets one, Jennings gets one, Quarless gets one and so does Hawk. 45-3 we beat them down for hurting John Jurkovic all those years ago!

Wade Philips is the first coach to be fired in the 3rd quarter Jones takes over and that is how they get a 3.
You must have gotten the kool aid I sent you.

Has Bretsky predicted imminent doom yet? He's on a hot streak.

Joemailman
11-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Has Bretsky predicted imminent doom yet? He's on a hot streak.

If he doesn't, we can probably count on Leaper.

gbgary
11-05-2010, 12:07 PM
mr matthews with at least four sacks on sunday.

denverYooper
11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
mr matthews with at least four sacks on sunday.

Unless they triple team him or run the ball all day, in which case the rest of the defense gets to party. Their line has been a mess to this point.

Tony Oday
11-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Kitna with 4 picks.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I always worry about teams that have talent, but are losing because of turnover margin. You get them on a day when they aren't turning the ball over, and you can have a lot of trouble. Dallas will be formidable. Nationally televised game. Backs against the wall. Talented. I just want a win.

(Playing Jon Kitna instead of Tony Romo helps though.)

Tony Oday
11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
We will beat them like a rented mule in a western movie in the 40's!!!!

ThunderDan
11-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Yeah, that sounds cool. We'll have to PM numbers this week and make it happen. I plan to make a whole day out of it so I'll be up there early(ish ... depending on how crazy the wedding reception is). :)

Check your PM.

Tarlam!
11-06-2010, 07:25 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81be200e/article/colledge-matthews-among-packers-on-the-mend-for-boys-game?module=HP_headlines

Hey, no reason to worry, right? They've been banged up all season and only need 3 more wins to make the post season. :shock: :roll:

mmmdk
11-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I was so calm last week during Jets game but I feel strange about this one. Why? 'Cos I really, really want and expect a win vs Cowboys - nothing else will do.

digitaldean
11-06-2010, 01:14 PM
The Packers need to treat the Cowboys as a wounded animal. Dangerous, but with the right kill shot, it can be put out of its misery.

Control the turnover battle and Dez Bryant on the return game and the Packers should be OK.

Tony Oday
11-06-2010, 01:20 PM
They need to treat them like rented mules and beat them within an inch of their life!!!!!

BlueBrewer
11-06-2010, 01:34 PM
They need to treat them like rented mules and beat them within an inch of their life!!!!!

They had better, I am making the trip, hoping for drunken blowout.

swede
11-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I would have gone to this game, but its the week that we pack for deer camp. normally we are already at deer camp for the second Gold Ticket game.

Heers hopin' sumbuddy shooets a tirty point buck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9yhhflmvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Utt_XgcWv8&feature=related

Pugger
11-07-2010, 07:23 AM

There are always folks selling tickets near the stadium on game day. It might not hurt to walk around with a sign saying you need a ticket too.

Pugger
11-07-2010, 07:27 AM
I don't see this is a trap game. Usually a trap game is a game the week before a "big" game. With no game next week, I expect the Packers should have no problem focusing on the Cowboys.

But could it be a let down game after such a big win in NY? As long as we don't screw up we should win this game. If we allow the girls to hang around we might not be so jovial later tonight.

Pugger
11-07-2010, 07:28 AM

Isn't Quarless out for this game...? :?:

Fritz
11-07-2010, 07:51 AM
This game scares the hell out of me. Dez Bryant breaks one on special teams, Kitna hits Austin Miles behind Peprah, Rodgers keeps stumbling, the backs keep getting 3.5 yards per carry....you see what I mean.

I'm scared, Adrian! I'm scared!

Joemailman
11-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Fritz, you nervous Nellie! How do you ever expect to make it with Drew Barrymore when you're blubbering like this? Packers are gonna smoke 'em. Time to man up.