PDA

View Full Version : Shawne Merriman waived

Spaulding
11-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I know he's recently been injury plagued and is considered to have been a roids abuser but wondering if a change of scenery might light a fire in him like it did for LT.

Not sure who we'd move at this point for him but seems that his potential upside and even remotely returning to former level of play would make him risk worth taking.

Make a claim and cut Francois or one of the other street FA's we just signed at LB?

What say you Packrats nation?

OS PA
11-02-2010, 05:22 PM
I usually don't get too worked about when a player that used to be good is cut or is a free agent, but this one just makes too much sense.

We've lost 3 linebackers to IR.
We're carrying 9 linebackers - Matthews, Chillar, Bishop, Hawk, Zombo, Francois, Wilhem, Briggs, Walden.
5 of the linebackers are street free agents.
At least 1 Linebacker has been on the inactive list in recent weeks.
The ROLB position has two sacks this season both coming from Zombo.
It's close to guaranteed that nobody will pick up our Briggs, Walden, or Francois if they are cut.
We have a bye week after the Cowboys to get Merriman up to speed.
He was healthy enough to be waived, as per the agreement of putting him on the ir/waiver wire the Chargers had to cut him when he passed a physical.
If Merriman does not show anything in the next two weeks, we simply cut him and bring back one of our JAG LB's.
Merriman cannot be worse than our 9th linebacker.

Now we have to see whether or not Merriman will make it down the waiver wire, but if he does, I will be slightly upset if we don't put in a waiver.

ThunderDan
11-02-2010, 05:41 PM
No thank you!

Pugger
11-02-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm listening to WDUZ call in show on the Internet right now and the co-host Harry Sidney thinks Merriman would be an intriguing guy opposite CM3 if we could sign him for not a lot of money. Hmmmm...

TennesseePackerBacker
11-02-2010, 05:48 PM
For one, I doubt he would even make it to the Packers on the waiver wire.

Two, how much do the Chargers think of him just to cut him like that? Is he healthy? Or was it a contract issue?

Three, will bright lights Shawn Merriman want to play in Green Bay? Would he even be happy in the town that is famous for Ryan Longwell's AppleBees comment?

Four, ok say he can make a difference for us, we can't cut a LB we signed who is performing on special teams. We haven't just lost starters, we've lost core special teamers as well, either by injury or promotion. It was clear by reading the coaches comments after the game this week that the Packers were particularly happy with the way their signed FA LB's played on special teams this week.

Can Merriman make an impact? Would it be addition by subtraction to sign a guy who wouldn't contribute on special teams? We'll see.

MadScientist
11-02-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm listening to WDUZ call in show on the Internet right now and the co-host Harry Sidney thinks Merriman would be an intriguing guy opposite CM3 if we could sign him for not a lot of money. Hmmmm...
The waver price is about $1.6 M. Not a deal breaker if the Packers think he will help. If his leg and knees are ok, go for it.

red
11-02-2010, 05:56 PM
he was a freak of nature in college and his first couple of years in the nfl, but most people thought he was juicing.

then he got busted for roids

since then he hasn't even been a shell of his former self. he's not even a JAG

he played in 3 games this year and has 5 tackles total

i don't think he can even be an average player without the roids

Guiness
11-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Intriguing no doubt - even as a rent-a-player.

You have to think he's done, or close to it though. Why else would the Chargers cut him loose like that? I haven't heard too much negative about him, and the Tila thing was, honestly, pretty small potatoes.

sharpe1027
11-02-2010, 06:28 PM
For one, I doubt he would even make it to the Packers on the waiver wire.

Two, how much do the Chargers think of him just to cut him like that? Is he healthy? Or was it a contract issue?

Three, will bright lights Shawn Merriman want to play in Green Bay? Would he even be happy in the town that is famous for Ryan Longwell's AppleBees comment?

Four, ok say he can make a difference for us, we can't cut a LB we signed who is performing on special teams. We haven't just lost starters, we've lost core special teamers as well, either by injury or promotion. It was clear by reading the coaches comments after the game this week that the Packers were particularly happy with the way their signed FA LB's played on special teams this week.

Can Merriman make an impact? Would it be addition by subtraction to sign a guy who wouldn't contribute on special teams? We'll see.

If he isn't going to make it to the Packers on the waiver wire, the reason the Chargers cut him can't be very relevant to his current value and contract. Other than that, you make some really good points.

Packers4Glory
11-02-2010, 09:18 PM
makes too much sense. Even assuming he makes it to us in the WW process TT wouldn't do it because it makes too much sense.

I'm sure he's a better options at this point than the guys they just signed off the street. end of story. I'm sure he would like a chance to play for a contending team and to prove people wrong. proving someone or people wrong is always a huge motivational tool that many guys have used. I'd like to think he has some pride left and would work to make a difference anywhere he landed.

The Leaper
11-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Merriman was nothing more than a roid freak. Take away the bubbling purple fizz and suddenly the guy looks like he should be working at the Citgo. He is certainly not a difference making player any longer. He's a backup at best.

He's not worth the price. He's not a starter. There's no point in even looking at him.

Brandon494
11-02-2010, 09:38 PM
He hasnt done anything in 3 years since been caught with roids.

OS PA
11-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Merriman was nothing more than a roid freak. Take away the bubbling purple fizz and suddenly the guy looks like he should be working at the Citgo. He is certainly not a difference making player any longer. He's a backup at best.

He's not worth the price. He's not a starter. There's no point in even looking at him.

2005 - Merriman had 10 sacks and 2 FF in his rookie year and won DROY.
2006 - Merriman was suspended for the first 4 games. In 12 games Merriman had 17.5 sacks, 1 interception, and 4 FF.
2007 - Merriman had 12.5 sacks and 4 FF.
2008 - Merriman injured his knee and only played in 1 game.
2009 - Merriman had 4 sacks in 14 games coming back from his injured knee
2010 - Merriman has been dinged up on and off, unused by his coach, and unhappy with his situation.

Nowhere in that statline do I see that he had a fall off DUE to his steroid use. His stats directly dropped off because of injury. The drop from 17.5 sacks to 12.5 sacks is one that is seen often among players. Players are never able to do the same year and year out (Woodson? Also injured this year). No Merriman is not a hall of fame player, but if he's finally getting healthy, as I'm guessing, he is an immediate upgrade over any of our 5 street free agent linebackers.

I don't mean to call you out and be rude about it, but I can't stand the idea that's floating around about Merriman sucking because of a lack of 'roids. There is WAY more steroid use in the league then we all want to think there is.

SkinBasket
11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Nowhere in that statline do I see that he had a fall off DUE to his steroid use. His stats directly dropped off because of injury.

Just like Tony Mandrich. Poor fella and all that trouble with post concussion syndrome.

ThunderDan
11-02-2010, 10:03 PM
No thank you!!

Ballboy
11-03-2010, 11:49 AM
The question needs to be asked is if he his better than what we have opposite CM3 now? That answer I think is yes. He is still young(26?) and for the life of me cannot think of another linebackers name on the Chargers team!!! Offense won't be able to double him.

That being said, I still don't think he drops to us at 21 in the WW.

pittstang5
11-03-2010, 02:23 PM
I heard the Bills are going to take him. (ESPN Radio)

Fritz
11-03-2010, 02:37 PM
makes too much sense. Even assuming he makes it to us in the WW process TT wouldn't do it because it makes too much sense.

I'm sure he's a better options at this point than the guys they just signed off the street. end of story. I'm sure he would like a chance to play for a contending team and to prove people wrong. proving someone or people wrong is always a huge motivational tool that many guys have used. I'd like to think he has some pride left and would work to make a difference anywhere he landed.

I agree. Nothing that makes sense has been done by TT. He keeps drafting guys and developing them and locking them up to long term contracts if he thinks they will be long term contributors. He doesn't give up third round picks for running backs with big names in college who average fewer yards per carry than the current stable of backs in Green Bay. He doesn't sign big name free agents like Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones.

I don't understand TT. If it makes sense, he just won't do it.

Airin' Rodgers
11-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I heard the Bills are going to take him. (ESPN Radio)

Just saw that on the Bottom line too. Sounds like a done deal

pbmax
11-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Schefter says Bucs and Dolphins also claimed Merriman. No mention of Pack.

Lurker64
11-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Schefter says Bucs and Dolphins also claimed Merriman. No mention of Pack.

Might be just a stylistic preference. I think the Capers-LeBeau variant of the 3-4 defense puts a lot of emphasis on OLBs who can move well, and is willing to sacrifice size do to that. Other types (notably the Belichick branch of the Fairbanks-Bullough tree) likes OLBs who are big and physical first and foremost.

Merriman is 6-4 265 and doesn't move well anymore. It's entirely likely Capers and Greene just didn't think he would help all that much.

Cheesehead Craig
11-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Given the Bills had first shot at Merriman, doesn't matter what the Pack wanted to do.

Guiness
11-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Looks like the Bills wasted their money on Merriman

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14279343/bills-lb-merriman-out-indefinitely-with-achilles-injury

Coach Chan Gailey announced Thursday that Merriman will not play against Detroit (2-6) this weekend, and is out indefinitely after aggravating an injury to his right Achilles' tendon in his first practice a day earlier.

hoosier
11-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Looks like the Bills wasted their money on Merriman

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14279343/bills-lb-merriman-out-indefinitely-with-achilles-injury

Coach Chan Gailey announced Thursday that Merriman will not play against Detroit (2-6) this weekend, and is out indefinitely after aggravating an injury to his right Achilles' tendon in his first practice a day earlier.

Merriman hurt himself after being nearly inactive for most of the season?!? Now that is truly shocking. Maybe some HGH would hasten his recovery.