PDA

View Full Version : Finley Has Emergency Surgery Due To Infection

Scott Campbell
11-02-2010, 10:14 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/02/jermichael-finley-has-emergency-surgery-due-to-infection/

Jermichael Finley has emergency surgery due to infection
Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2010 10:57 PM ET
Usually, we hear that surgical procedures performed on pro athletes were at all times a success. When there's a complication, a public announcement rarely comes.

That's precisely what happened with Packers tight end Jermichael Finley, who underwent leg surgery after being injured on October 17 against the Redskins.

"I had a second surgery," Finley told Jason Wilde of ESPN Milwaukee. "Nobody knows about it. I had caught a real small infection in my knee, so I had to go in about a week ago, had to go back under and get the infection out. I was in the hospital for two days. I'm surprised nobody knew about it. I had to get all these antibiotics in me, get blood drawn four or five times a day. It's terrible. Right now, I've got this IV in my chest, a central line."

A central line? It doesn't sound like a "real small" infection at all.

"[I]t was emergency surgery," Finley said. "I had a 105 fever, I called Doc [team physician Pat McKenzie] and said, 'I'm not feeling too good,' and we had to rush in and clean out the infection. I don't know what it's called. I guess you could call it a staph infection, but I don't think that's what it was. But I had to rush in and they put a central line in my chest. I won't get this taken out for another month and a half. Three times a day I have to get antibiotics put through it."

Again, it doesn't sound like a "real small" infection at all.

We wish Finley well in his recovery. And we hate to see what condition he'd be in right now if it had been a "real big" infection.

Airin' Rodgers
11-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Wow, forget about football at moments like these. I just hope the guy fully recovers (which im sure he will)

Football related, I doubt this increases his recovery time at all

Packman_26
11-02-2010, 11:32 PM
I would guess this is the reason why he was put on IR. It probably cost him the option of coming back this year.

get louder at lambeau
11-03-2010, 12:05 AM
I would guess this is the reason why he was put on IR. It probably cost him the option of coming back this year.

That's an interesting thought. I wonder if the timeframes match up that way or not?

red
11-03-2010, 12:20 AM
wow, sounds pretty serious. hope he's ok

he's lucky he called the doc when he had a fever. i sure as hell wouldn't have call in

MadScientist
11-03-2010, 12:25 AM

he's lucky he called the doc when he had a fever. i sure as hell wouldn't have call in
If you have a fever, especially that high after having surgery, you need to call the doctor. It's in the post-op instructions, for this very reason.

Fans sometimes wonder why athletes try rehab before surgery should remember this outcome. Surgery is not without risks, some quite serious.

Get well JF.

Lurker64
11-03-2010, 12:25 AM

Usually, when you have a sort of major invasive surgery on a joint, your doc drills it in to you that if you have any sort of fever or any other signs of an infection you get in touch with a doctor IMMEDIATELY. It's entirely likely he was just following directions.

Tarlam!
11-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks for posting, SC, good read. GWS Finnley!

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Fucking worthless orthopod. You should NEVER get an infection on a surgery like that. Time for a new team doc. Geezus, send these guys to some decent surgeons. There are some good docs at the U in Madison. Unforgivable.

pbmax
11-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Fucking worthless orthopod. You should NEVER get an infection on a surgery like that. Time for a new team doc. Geezus, send these guys to some decent surgeons. There are some good docs at the U in Madison. Unforgivable.
This is a more frequent outcome in sports lately (the Browns had huge trouble with the Cleveland Clinic and staph infections, Peyton Manning had an infection after knee surgery). Is it the doctors or the facility?

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 08:10 AM
This is a more frequent outcome in sports lately (the Browns had huge trouble with the Cleveland Clinic and staph infections, Peyton Manning had an infection after knee surgery). Is it the doctors or the facility?

I think it's the docs. The Cleveland Clinic has this great name, but Ortho isn't their deal, especially the kind of trauma that Winslow had for example. They should have shipped him to the level 1 trauma center in Cleveland, MetroHealth. No staph infections there. (The papers are still reporting this as though there is some sort of 'staph infection' at the Brown's facility - note to paper - everyone has staph on their skin....). In the case of Finley, it wasn't as though he had an open wound - the infection came following surgery that opened him up. Now, to be fair, Finley could have mucked it up, fooling around with dressings, etc. - sometimes patients do all sorts of crazy stuff when they get surgery and we all know Finley is a bit, shall we say, unique...

pbmax
11-03-2010, 08:14 AM

I think it's the docs. The Cleveland Clinic has this great name, but Ortho isn't their deal, especially the kind of trauma that Winslow had for example. They should have shipped him to the level 1 trauma center in Cleveland, MetroHealth. No staph infections there. (The papers are still reporting this as though there is some sort of 'staph infection' at the Brown's facility - note to paper - everyone has staph on their skin....). In the case of Finley, it wasn't as though he had an open wound - the infection came following surgery that opened him up. Now, to be fair, Finley could have mucked it up, fooling around with dressings, etc. - sometimes patients do all sorts of crazy stuff when they get surgery and we all know Finley is a bit, shall we say, unique...
On the skin, that rings a bell. And that would be one reason to paint you with iodine before cutting?

But what about after the procedure? Is it just the dressing to protect the wound or do they apply other barriers?

Patler
11-03-2010, 08:20 AM

So did Brady too, didn't he? Didn't he have a couple follow-up surgeries because of infection from his original knee surgery?

pbmax
11-03-2010, 08:36 AM

So did Brady too, didn't he? Didn't he have a couple follow-up surgeries because of infection from his original knee surgery?
Yes, and he was in that strange and exotic land known as "Cali-FORN-ia" with its strange ways, shamans, faith healers and unknown infestations. Not being in New England was driving the team and the fans mad over that offseason.

bobblehead
11-03-2010, 08:50 AM

I think both play a roll. I know that according to my research the facilities in India have better outcomes and lower incidents of staph infection than facilities in america. Medical Tourism baby...the cure for obamacare.

red
11-03-2010, 10:09 AM
this is kind of what basically ended lecharles bently

guy was the best center in the nfl. went to cleveland, got hurt in the first practice and then i think he got a staph infection for the routine surgery, so they went back in and cleaned it up, and then i think he got it again

if i remember right he almost lost his damn leg and ended up retiring because of it

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 10:29 AM

On the skin, that rings a bell. And that would be one reason to paint you with iodine before cutting?

But what about after the procedure? Is it just the dressing to protect the wound or do they apply other barriers?

It's pretty basic. If they drive around in there with a scope, they basically punch four five holes around the knee and insert the tools through the holes. Then they fix stuff and remove. If you're careful, no infection - then you can basically tape the holes shut. But Finley has to leave 'em alone too. The clinic just has a bad recent track record. Bad luck or bad medicine? Sometimes it's hard to distinguish, but there are cases (like Winslow) where they are doing stuff they rarely see. I'll tell you this - wherever you live, identify the level 1 trauma center, and if you or a loved one gets crunched, beg them to take you there right away. Often times, these are the county or metro hospitals and might look like hell from the outside, but the best surgeons for trauma are often there. If you're near Madison, get to the University hospitals. You have a much better chance of getting the care you need than at the high falutin' private hospitals.

denverYooper
11-03-2010, 10:29 AM

I think both play a roll. I know that according to my research the facilities in India have better outcomes and lower incidents of staph infection than facilities in america. Medical Tourism baby...the cure for obamacare.

You realize that India has a universal health care system, right? And that their taxpayer-funded government facilities are those with great outcomes.

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
India's a complex situation D-yoop, but better leave that for FYI... :D

mmmdk
11-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Where do you want to start [about reasons for infections that shouldn't have happened] ?:

In the US it’s estimated that 50 million of the 250 million prescriptions issued for antibiotics each year are unnecessary. Which leads to extremophile bacteria and you have to get tougher and tougher in your treatment of the infection. Which again leads to more resilient bacteria and more use of antibiotics. Personally I believe those stats are "kind" to a harsher reality.

The doctor can wash his instruments and hands from here to eternity - your're still going to be infected with the more resilient bacteria that beats any hospitals attempts to create an antiseptic environment.

Misuse and abuse of antibiotics is a huge problem in the western world - it's getting out of control in some countries/hospitals. I know, because I work as a nurse at various hospitals.

Also, the misuse and abuse of antibiotics in animals is a factor.

Lastly, the doctor, nurse or room prep personel might have been sloppy.

Hope it sheds light on the matter.

Also,

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Where do you want to start [about reasons for infections that shouldn't have happened]:

In the US it’s estimated that 50 million of the 250 million prescriptions issued for antibiotics each year are unnecessary. Which leads to extremophile bacteria and you have to get tougher and tougher in your treatment of the infection. Which again leads to more resilient bacteria and more use of antibiotics. Personally I believe those stats are "kind" to a harsher reality.

The doctor can wash his instruments and hands from here to eternity - your're still going to be infected with the more resilient bacteria that beats any hospitals attempts to create an antiseptic environment.

Misuse and abuse of antibiotics is a huge problem in the western world - it's getting out of control in some countries/hospitals. I know, because I work as a nurse at various hospitals.

Also,

You're rigt about the misuse of antibiotics. Lots of older folks are getting antibiotics for all sorts of shit they don't need and then getting c. dificil because their guts are completely cleaned out of good bacteria.

But, the surgeons actually CAN control infections by proper technique. Prevent the infection in the first place, and you don't have to worry about antibiotic resistance. This applies mostly to procedures where the wound is initially closed. When open wounds come in, it's a whole different ballgame. Sometimes people come in with grass, road, metal, fabric, bone, and the rest of their intestines mushed around inside their wounds. Can get septic as hell, even if you are a real stickler for cleaning stuff out.

Finley's wound/injury was closed to begin with - no excuse for infection. At all.

Patler
11-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Finley's wound/injury was closed to begin with - no excuse for infection. At all.

Maybe not, but also might not be the Dr. or hospital's fault either, even if the infection arose at the surgical site. Aren't most of the "tools" used now pre-packaged, presumed-to-be-sterile, disposable products? If these are not sterile in the package, the Dr. or hospital would not know, and certainly is not at fault.

mmmdk
11-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Where do you want to start [about reasons for infections that shouldn't have happened]:

Also,

You're rigt about the misuse of antibiotics. Lots of older folks are getting antibiotics for all sorts of shit they don't need and then getting c. dificil because their guts are completely cleaned out of good bacteria.

But, the surgeons actually CAN control infections by proper technique. Prevent the infection in the first place, and you don't have to worry about antibiotic resistance. This applies mostly to procedures where the wound is initially closed. When open wounds come in, it's a whole different ballgame. Sometimes people come in with grass, road, metal, fabric, bone, and the rest of their intestines mushed around inside their wounds. Can get septic as hell, even if you are a real stickler for cleaning stuff out.

Sounds like sloppiness is plausible yet even benign bacteria is getting more resistant. So you're right, in 90-99% of the these cases [benign bacteria] it's all about technique and following surgical procedures.

But do we know it's benign? I hope it is, for Finley and Packers.

RashanGary
11-03-2010, 11:19 AM
this is kind of what basically ended lecharles bently

guy was the best center in the nfl. went to cleveland, got hurt in the first practice and then i think he got a staph infection for the routine surgery, so they went back in and cleaned it up, and then i think he got it again

if i remember right he almost lost his damn leg and ended up retiring because of it

Lecharles Bentley was never the best center in football. He made two probowls and was available at a time when we badly needed OL help. During that spring, to Packer fans, he was the best center in football.

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 11:27 AM

Maybe not, but also might not be the Dr. or hospital's fault either, even if the infection arose at the surgical site. Aren't most of the "tools" used now pre-packaged, presumed-to-be-sterile, disposable products? If these are not sterile in the package, the Dr. or hospital would not know, and certainly is not at fault.
Sure there's a chance it's sterilization error - a lot of the stuff is one-time use, but the central tools in the trays get re-used. And like I said, it could easily be Finley messing around. Hope he recovers quickly so we can hear more about his next take out order on Youtube.

Guiness
11-03-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't think it's cut and dry if it's the facility, the doctors, the prep staff, etc. But it certainly is a lot more 'difficile' to get the bugs out these days.

Remember Walkerton? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkerton_Tragedy

I happen to live close by there, and have some first hand experience with the people involved. Certainly a lot of mistakes were made, and the situation was probably avoidable, but the truth is the E-coli in the water system didn't 'die' like it had in the past. The guys who ran the water system did what they'd been taught, and how they'd been doing it for a couple of decades. Bumping up the chlorine didn't clean it out. They found this strain of e-coli could live in treated water!

A lot of people felt the reason was because cattle is routinely administered antibiotics, and the bacteria had built up a resistance.

mmmdk
11-03-2010, 12:35 PM

Sure there's a chance it's sterilization error - a lot of the stuff is one-time use, but the central tools in the trays get re-used. And like I said, it could easily be Finley messing around. Hope he recovers quickly so we can hear more about his next take out order on Youtube.

Thumbs up, Patler :tup:

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 01:50 PM

:?:

swede
11-03-2010, 02:41 PM

I think he was suggesting that Finley had his thumbs up Patler, spreading the infection through secondary contact with the surgical wound.

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 03:04 PM

I think he was suggesting that Finley had his thumbs up Patler, spreading the infection through secondary contact with the surgical wound.

I don't think Finley can put that on Youtube

mmmdk
11-03-2010, 03:06 PM

Now what? Geez, you and your :?: emoticons. :lol:

pbmax
11-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Fuc....

Where do you want to start [about reasons for infections that shouldn't have happened] ?:
In the US it’s estimated that 50 million of the ....
The doctor can wash his instruments and hands from here t....
Misuse and abuse of antibiotics is a huge problem ...
Hope it sheds light on the matter.[/b]

Also,

Well? We're waiting for the also... !

Lurker64
11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Fuc....

Also,

I'm also waiting for the 'k' from mraynrand.

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
k

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 04:02 PM

I apologize to the worthless orthopod. I am now blaming the scrub tech. Next hour I will blame the floating nurse.

P.S. foating nurse: let the hilarity ensue.

hoosier
11-03-2010, 06:50 PM

I apologize to the worthless orthopod. I am now blaming the scrub tech. Next hour I will blame the floating nurse.

Old Jermichael himself sounds like a likelier candidate to me. The fact that he waited till his fever reached the stratosphere wouldn't seem to be working in his favor.

MJZiggy
11-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Old Jermichael himself sounds like a likelier candidate to me. The fact that he waited till his fever reached the stratosphere wouldn't seem to be working in his favor.

Well, he's not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree...

gbgary
11-03-2010, 07:49 PM
a staph infection is serious. i've heard that once you get one you really never get rid of it totally. you have to go the extra mile anytime you have an open wound, after you've had a staph infection, to keep from getting another. one thing though, finley is guessing it was staph. he said he wasn't sure that's really what it was. he shouldn't be guessing.

mmmdk
11-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Fuc....

Also,

I'm also waiting for the 'k' from mraynrand.

Good lord :shock: Gremlins? :lol:

mmmdk
11-03-2010, 07:57 PM
a staph infection is serious. i've heard that once you get one you really never get rid of it totally. you have to go the extra mile anytime you have an open wound, after you've had a staph infection, to keep from getting another. one thing though, finley is guessing it was staph. he said he wasn't sure that's really what it was. he shouldn't be guessing.

Finley's preoccupied; he's building an igloo & he's hoping to survive.

Fritz
11-03-2010, 08:00 PM

A staff infection is serious, too! :rs:

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 09:24 PM

Finley's preoccupied; he's building an igloo & he's hoping to survive.

You would think living in an igloo would suppress the fever. Maybe that's why it took so long to notice. But I bet his home melted a bit...

Zool
11-04-2010, 09:09 AM

A staff infection is serious, too! :rs:

My staph infection tells jokes all the time. It wont shut up.