PDA

View Full Version : new player?

wpony
11-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Hi I was going by the tv at the end of the news cast and seen a packers coach being talked about didn't catch the name said he was excited over the new player the packers picked up he was still young and good and I cant see anything about the Packers getting any one today?

packrulz
11-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Probably the punter, Masthay, is improving each week:
Mike McCarthy Post-Game Press Conference Transcript
Posted by Mike Vandermause October 31st, 2010, 5:00 pm
I’ll start with the injuries. Patrick Lee had an ankle, did not return. X-rays were negative. Donald Driver quad, he dropped out in second quarter. Aaron Rodgers had an ankle sprain and did return.
Just some comments on the game. Excellent road victory just like we talked about as a team. First time a shutout on the road since 1991. I’m very proud of our defense. I thought they were outstanding, particularly with the three turnovers and the two big stops on fourth downs. Also factored huge in the field position, Tim Masthay was outstanding. I think we’re about 180 yards in field position. That obviously factored in the game.
Offensively, didn’t do a very good job on the third downs. I felt like we were probably thinking a little too much and then we got back to some base things in the second half.
The penalties stopped us in the second half. Excellent road win. We’re glad to be at 5-3. we’re looking at it’s a 7-day season right now until we get to the bye. We’ve got a big one at home Sunday night (against Dallas). We’ve been fighting through a tough spot. Very proud of what we accomplished here today.
What was key to Masthay’s success?
Tim’s a young man. He’s young in experience also in this league. You can see him getting better and better. It really started throughout training camp when he was in the competition. I feel he’s improving as the games go on. There’s no lack of talent. He’s exceptional , his leg strength. He has very good mechanics, very good fundamentals. He was huge for us today.
Were you expecting as much coverage?
I thought they played us very similar to Miami, which didn’t surprise me. Just know mike Nolan background with this defensive staff. But frankly I’ll take responsibility for the offense. We (simplified) a lot of things based on the way we viewed them as a defense and we probably over-analyzed certain situations and I thought we played that way in the first half, especially on third down. We just couldn’t extend a drive there. Came in at halftime, went back to the basics, thought we moved the ball very well but we had the costly penalties on those first two series. It was a quick third quarter. We need to clean things up on offense and obviously be more productive in points. The run game I thought we definitely, I give credit to the run defense, I thought we’d be able to come in here and run the ball more efficiently.
By over-analyzing on third downs, were you throwing too short?
No, I’m just talking about just the way we played. They looked like they were moving fast and we weren’t. it’s like anything in football. You can’t go out and try to be right all the time. You need to go out and play, trust your adjustments. In the National Football League in my opinion, the four fundamentals of football are obviously blocking, tackling, taking care of the football and adjustments. I mean there’s adjustments on every single play that these players make. We need to go out there, run our base offense against these defenses and let’s just go play.
Does it surprise you to shut out team with essentially five starters out?
That’s a credit to the players and I’ll tell you it’s a credit to our defensive staff just to have four transactions in one week and just to get the players acclimated. Juggling the 53 to the 45 was really a challenge, particularly for Shawn Slocum. I can’t say enough about the job he’s done because that’s the first area that’s been affected by our changing in the depth chart week to week. I thought Dom did a very good job of inserting those guys but same deal. They came down. We played our defense. they played at a high level. We’ve been kind of getting our hands on a number of balls. Our turnover ratio we haven’t been pleased with it all year. I thought we made a big step in the right direction. I mean, the three takeaways and to stop them twice on fourth down, that’s pretty much, that’s five takeaways in that game. That’s huge. That’s the way we play defense.
Injuries to Driver, Finley, Grant and losing those weapons, does that affect you?
I don’t think that way. We got players and I love our players. I need to do a better job and I’ll get that done. I thought our point production would be definitely better than nine points coming into this game. I give credit to the Jets’ defense but I need to do a better job. There’s nothing wrong with the players, quarterback and things like that. We need to do a better job of just putting them in better position to be successful.
How much was the wind a factor?
I’ll tell you what, it was different, you come in from the outside, it felt like it was obviously a lot windier. The stadium is beautiful, you did a great job with the structure, you didn’t really feel it in pre-game but then you look at the field goal posts and they’re shaking. It had its moments but the wind was no excuse today. We had a couple balls on the boundary that may have factored in. but I didn’t think it was a huge factor in the game.
How much was wind a factor on field goals?
Well it was inconsistency. I think you could look into that. It looked like particularly their kick that he played it, he played the wind and it didn’t happen. I’ll get a better view of that once I see the film.
Were you told on the challenge upstairs to challenge on the fake punt?
It looked like, I was on the other side of the field, but it looked like it was close, just the way he was extending. But the call clearly came from upstairs and we were able to get the flag thrown before they got on the football so big play in the game.
Where does this win rank in your tenure?
Goodness, I, you know, shoot I feel like I’ve done this long enough I don’t rank them.
We’re going to have bigger wins than this in my time in Green Bay. You can trust me on that. But this is an excellent road win.
Run defense?
They stepped up. Howard Grant did a nice job of stepping up in there. But it’s, A. J. Hawk doing outstanding, him and Bishop are doing a great job running that defense. And our guys are getting off blocks, staying square at the line of scrimmage. That’s a damn good run team. We felt that they were the best run team we had played to date. That was a heck of a job by our defense.
Was it close on activating Cullen Jenkins?
He had a very good workout on Friday, but when he came in Saturday we pretty much knew. Just the way he responded from the workout Friday. He went through it with the trainers and the strength coach and Mike Trgovac took him through extensive work on Friday. So really when he came in Saturday and he had the strength we felt he needed , and with another 24 hours we were confident he would play.
Ryan Pickett?
Ryan Pickett’s not ready yet. We worked out Ryan today. We worked out a bunch of guys today: Dimitri Nance worked out. He was unable to go. Donald wouldn’t work out, which I trust Donald. He tried to fight through it. So we had a number of guys out there working out this morning.
How about the effort on wrestling away those two interceptions?
I think that speak volumes of our defensive secondary. They’re an instinctive bunch. Frankly if we weren’t so good at receiver I’d play some of those guys on offense. The ball skills of our secondary players with Charles and Nick and Tramon all the way through. Those guys are an instinctive bunch.