PDA

View Full Version : Read This, Be Smarter: Trgovac on 3 Man Pass Rush

pbmax
11-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Trgovac, who has to be my new favorite coach, at least for quotes about the team's performance and scheme, on the kick dog of the 3 man pass rush.

from Lori Nickel (in a very good Blog post) at JSO: (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/106574143.html)

~ A number of Packers fans have been asking about this lately: How can the Packers get by with the more frequently used three-man rush on the defensive line? Why are they doing it?

The response, from defensive line coach Mike Trgovac: “You have to look at the down and distance. When a coach decides to call that, you look at how fast the guy (the opposing quarterback) is getting the ball out. Then you look at the success of it and our three man rush has been very successful this year. Also, teams are throwing screens at us. We have more eyes on the screen, as opposed to four guys rushing. I know a lot of times people see three man rush and don’t understand it. But we have several different coverages that go along with it so teams won’t be able to pick up on it. We’re not doing the same coverage out of a three man rush.”

Also,
- Capers doesn't see Green necessarily disappearing after Pickett is healthy.

- CJ Wilson played better later in the game again.

- Trgo said the Viking's game crowd was as loud as he has heard. But being on the road for the Jets game allowed Raji to call out to Green some universal codes for defensive alignment/technique that helped him play the proper role for the call.

3irty1
11-03-2010, 09:23 AM
That bit at the end cracks me up.

“I had a good combine, good season, good resume,” Wilson said on draft day. “I'm so hundred percent that some of the guys that I got passed by -- I'm a lot better than.”

Linebacker Clay Matthews III heard this recollection. He flipped his showered hair back and sent sprays of droplets over everyone, including neighbor Wilson.
“Yeah that happens to me a lot,” laughed Wilson.

“You said you were better than everyone drafted before you?” said Matthews.
“Well, you’ve got to be confident in yourself…” said Wilson, laughing. “I was mad…”

“You were mad to be drafted to play a game no one else has the opportunity to?” said Matthews.
“You know what, you’re messing up my interview…” said Wilson.

“So you’re better than Ndamkong Suh?” said Matthews.
“I didn’t say that,” said Wilson. “I said some…”

"So you’re not confident you’re better?” said Matthews.
“You know what. I plead the fifth. I don’t have to answer that question. My lawyer ain’t here,” said Wilson.
Matthews walked away with a satisfied smile.

RashanGary
11-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I liked that blurb. . . .

Mixing 8 man coverages. . . Sometimes man, sometimes this zone, sometimes that. . . . . It can confuse a young QB like Sanchez (and it did).

Doing that against a vet. . . . Probably not as effective, but it worked last week and will work in the future against the right QB's.

And then there is Clay Matthews and BJ Raji. Those two make the 3 man rush pretty effective in itself. We have good players on defense, so 8 man coverage, 7 man coverage and 6 man coverage look pretty good much of the time. Matthews is the true superstar that changes our entire rush. Cleft Crusty's old commentary rings true here. Clay Matthews has shown us that a superstar changes everything on just about every down, whether he makes the play or not, he changes everything. Take him out and our defense goes from really godo to below average.

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Kudos to Lori Nickel for a good Xs and Os posting. I give her a lot of grief for the fluffy Lifetime Channel Movie material, so I have to give her credit here.

mraynrand
11-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Mixing 8 man coverages. . . Sometimes man, sometimes this zone, sometimes that. . . . . It can confuse a young QB like Sanchez (and it did).

Doing that against a vet. . . . Probably not as effective, but it worked last week and will work in the future against the right QB's.

This is right on the money, and pretty much what we saw last year. Capers can really mess with the inexperienced and/or limited QBs. But get that seasoned vet in there, and the defense struggles mightily (Vikings, Cardinals for examples).

Fritz
11-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Me still no like the three man rush. I can't stand seeing a QB standing calmly in the pocket, surveying the field while three rushers flail away at five or six blockers.

pbmax
11-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Me still no like the three man rush. I can't stand seeing a QB standing calmly in the pocket, surveying the field while three rushers flail away at five or six blockers.
The TV guys told a story about YA Tittle talking to Buddy Ryan about facing a defense. Tittle said, and I am paraphrasing the paraphrase of the son of the coach who heard this, that no matter how many are in coverage or what scheme you are in, I will eventually find the open guy. And by 'I', I mean Norm Van Brocklin.

But they still should be able to prevent 3rd and forever with coverage, just leave the checkdown open and drill him.

pbmax
11-03-2010, 05:13 PM
And you just keep your pants on Mr. Newly Appointed Special Teams Coach. Your promotion to passing D coordinator isn't going to happen before next year at the earliest.

gbgary
11-03-2010, 07:34 PM
it's got it's place and has worked great this year. give up a little pressure to make sure everyone is covered.

Fritz
11-03-2010, 08:03 PM
And you just keep your pants on Mr. Newly Appointed Special Teams Coach. Your promotion to passing D coordinator isn't going to happen before next year at the earliest.

If we can just change that to "Mr. Newly Appointed Special Teams Yahoo" then I could be known as Coach Mr. Nasty.

As for the paraphrase of the paraphrase of the paraphrase, are you saying you are paraphrasing Buddy Ryan who was paraphrasing YA Tittle who was paraphrasing Norm Van Brocklin?

superfan
11-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks, pbmax, for these "read this, be smarter" posts. These are fantastic. Hope you can make it an ongoing thing - much better than the "read this, be dumber" posts found on most message boards. :D

Lurker64
11-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I think the gameplan against the Jets was solid. Sell out to stop the run against the Jets on 1st and 2nd down, and then drop 8 into coverage on third down and let the secondary play downhill on third and long. If you can consistently force 3rd and 8 and play pretty good coverage, that's a solid idea.

Definitely not going to be the best strategy against a more functional passing offense though.

mmmdk
11-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks, pbmax, for these "read this, be smarter" posts. These are fantastic. Hope you can make it an ongoing thing - much better than the "read this, be dumber" posts found on most message boards. :D

Yeah, if you read those you become a Vikings fan - don't do it kids!!

pbmax
11-04-2010, 08:50 AM

If we can just change that to "Mr. Newly Appointed Special Teams Yahoo" then I could be known as Coach Mr. Nasty.

As for the paraphrase of the paraphrase of the paraphrase, are you saying you are paraphrasing Buddy Ryan who was paraphrasing YA Tittle who was paraphrasing Norm Van Brocklin?
Confidentially, and you did not hear this from me, YA Tittle was a big believe in the paranormal and probably thought he was channeling deceased Van Brocklin. Buddy just did not have the heart to tell him Norm was still alive.

But to answer the actual question, the TV guys related the story told to them by Rex Ryan. Rex said Tittle and his Dad (Buddy) had the original conversation about a good QB eventually solving any coverage with enough time. This informed his Dad's approach to pressuring the QB. And it also was part of Rex's thinking.

Norm was just a throw in.

Additionally, the most often story repeated about Buddy Ryan's pressure D is that he he became convinced pressure was the way to go after working with Weeb Ewbank for the NY Jets. Ewbank's priority in the passing game was to protect the QB. Ryan figured if it was that important to a good coach to keep his QB clean, then hitting the QB as often as possible should be on of his focuses (foci?).

Cheesehead Craig
11-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Now why you gotta go hatin' on Harvey like that?

3irty1
11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
The three man rush has a place but I'd disagree that its worked great this year. If one can catch an offense in max protect with it or on a screen play, its a great call. 3rd and long? I feel like they are only doing it to stifle all the screens we were seeing after the Lions game.

Fritz
11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
"Additionally, the most often story repeated about Buddy Ryan's pressure D is that he he became convinced pressure was the way to go after working with Weeb Ewbank for the NY Jets. Ewbank's priority in the passing game was to protect the QB. Ryan figured if it was that important to a good coach to keep his QB clean, then hitting the QB as often as possible should be on of his focuses"

I always thought that poor guy's name was horrible. It sounds like something a badly damaged person with a speech impediment would name a kid.