PDA

View Full Version : Maycock and Wilcots on Packers D vs Jets

denverYooper
11-04-2010, 11:16 AM
http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Playbook-Packing-A-Punch/af252c51-9dfa-44f6-8d03-529de3ac5d9b

Jets fans have been complaining about how the interceptions weren't legit and that's what cost them the game. These guys are giving GB some love for making good plays there.

ND72
11-04-2010, 11:32 AM
call me a homer, but those are interceptions. Both Tramon & the Jet player had their hands on the ball, as they hit the ground the ball pops back to Tramon...same thing with the Chuck pick of Dustin Keller...if you ask me, it's the Calvin Johnson effect...neither Jets player finished the process.

Cheesehead Craig
11-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Gotta complete the catch and the Packers defenders did that, the Jets receivers didn't. They wanna complain, go complain about their WRs. Those are the guys that cost them the game.

gbgary
11-04-2010, 12:42 PM
i didn't remember that many drops until i saw that vid. thanks jets. yes the ints were legit. whoever comes up with the ball, on a duel possession catch, gets it. love sterling sharp. he's very funny on that show. he'd be a hall of famer if it weren't for that neck injury. maybe someday anyway. there are great players in the hall who's careers were cut short by injury.

PA Pack Fan
11-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Theres no way either of those were interceptions. Great effort, but we got lucky on both calls.

ThunderDan
11-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Theres no way either of those were interceptions. Great effort, but we got lucky on both calls.

I think Tramon's was and Woodson's I'm not to sure about. As soon as Woodson's was ruled for the Pack I said, "Thank God the Jets are out of challenges."

mraynrand
11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
i didn't remember that many drops until i saw that vid. thanks jets. yes the ints were legit. whoever comes up with the ball, on a duel possession catch, gets it. love sterling sharp. he's very funny on that show. he'd be a hall of famer if it weren't for that neck injury. maybe someday anyway. there are great players in the hall who's careers were cut short by injury.

THANKSJETS

THANKSFORTHESTREAMOFCONSCIOUSNESSPOST

mraynrand
11-04-2010, 12:49 PM

There was a way

sharpe1027
11-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Before the rule change, those may not have been INTs. With the new rules the WR must maintain possession through the act of going to the ground. Before the act is completed there is no catch and the WR cannot be ruled down by contact. Therefore, if a DB gets the ball before then, it must be ruled an INT.

Airin' Rodgers
11-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Woodson's was definitely an INT. Keller never had possession of the ball, it was being juggled.

Tramon's, I'm not too sure the specifics on the simultaneous catch rule, so I can't really judge it

Scott Campbell
11-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Gotta complete the catch and the Packers defenders did that, the Jets receivers didn't. They wanna complain, go complain about their WRs. Those are the guys that cost them the game.

+1

The Jets players never completed the catches, and the ball never hit the ground before the our guys came up with them. Solid calls, and neither would have been overturned on review.

Fritz
11-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Both the Jets and Vikings victories are clearly illegitimate - the Packers were handed those games by the officials. However, the previous games against Miami and Washington, which featured close-but-correct calls against the Packers on several key plays, were well-deserved victories by the Packers' opponents.

Hey, I think I'm getting the hang of this!

Lurker64
11-04-2010, 03:38 PM
I think by the '10 disinterested guys in a bar" standard, both the Packer INTs should definitely have been INTs.

Disregard any knowledge you have of the rules, if player A and player B catch the ball simultaneously, they go to the ground, and player B rips the ball away from player A on the way to the ground, which player deserves the ball more?

pbmax
11-04-2010, 04:07 PM
I like the interested guy in his living room test. I thought both calls were great. :lol:

Jets fans (whom I love) can kiss my heiney, comforted by the fact that Testaverde did not really break the plane on that touchdown in 1998 versus the Seahawks. It all evens out in the end.

Mostly.

hoosier
11-04-2010, 04:12 PM
I like the interested guy in his living room test. I thought both calls were great. :lol:

Jets fans (whom I love) can kiss my heiney, comforted by the fact that Testaverde did not really break the plane on that touchdown in 1998 versus the Seahawks. It all evens out in the end.

Mostly.

Except for Erik Williams in the 2006 NFC championship game. That will never go away.

Noodle
11-04-2010, 04:20 PM

Mostly.

Except for Erik Williams in the 2006 NFC championship game. That will never go away.

Or the Rice "non" fumble back in 1995 I think (the game that TO won with that TD catch). That stall galls me.

red
11-04-2010, 04:52 PM
DOM FOR GOD!!!

this guys is just a phenomenal defensive coach. he's getting the best out of all his guys

unlike the fat ass who runs the other half of the team

Bretsky
11-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Both calls were great. Actually, all calls are great if they go our way

Sincerely,
Mr Homerrrrrrrrrrr :lol:

channtheman
11-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Woodson's was definitely an INT. Keller never had possession of the ball, it was being juggled.

Tramon's, I'm not too sure the specifics on the simultaneous catch rule, so I can't really judge it

It wasn't even a simultaneous catch. Tramon had the ball in his arm and the Jet player simply put his hand over Tramon's hand and the ball. The Jet player in that case never had it. As for Woodson's, the ball was being bobbled on top of the Jet when he was on the ground. A great play by Tramon, and a heads up play by Woodson.

steve823
11-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Mostly.

Or the Rice "non" fumble back in 1995 I think (the game that TO won with that TD catch). That stall galls me.

At least it was #2 on the worst calls of all tiem list. :lol:

http://www.playerpress.com/articles/worst-nfl-calls-of-all-time

SkinBasket
11-05-2010, 09:08 AM

Was that the one where we knocked his old ass out and everyone was so worried about the poor decrepit motherfucker that they ignored the fact he dropped the football and we picked it up?

packerbacker1234
11-05-2010, 10:04 AM
The int plays come down to this, and I love that film break down...

- Both Williams and Woodson arrived to the ball FIRST. They took great angles and were arguably the first to touch the ball.

- The WR's simply didn't want it as much as the defenders. Some calls, while not necessarily in the rules, are based on judgement of who the hell deserved the call. In both cases, Williams and Woodson wanted the ball and fought for it all the way to the ground. Williams was even looked at under the hood, and still ruled an interception. I think people forget the rule about maintaining the catch through the ground. So many times people think this just refers to the endzone, but it can happen on any point in the field if there was no football move made prior to ground contact.

If the ball is being bobbled, it must be repossessed by the wr on the ground to be a catch. In both cases, the people who repossesed it after ground contact were packer players. Clear interceptions. The WR can have all the possession he wants when he hits the ground, but since the ground IS the determining factor for the catch,s ince there was no football move, you must maintain that posession when hitting the ground. Instead, they both "bobbled" (in part because we had dual possession) and both times we got it.

Both calls were made correctly.

mraynrand
11-05-2010, 10:11 AM

Was that the one where we knocked his old ass out and everyone was so worried about the poor decrepit motherfucker that they ignored the fact he dropped the football and we picked it up?

That was the game after the '98 season where the greatest player in NFL history didn't have a catch up until the last drive, and then fumbled his only catch of the game, but was ruled 'down by contact.' The game should have been over. Sorry, no review.

Anyway, it just saved us the embarrassment of having Favre go throw thirty interceptions in the Georgia dome.

mraynrand
11-05-2010, 10:33 AM

Mostly.

:?:
details?

hoosier
11-05-2010, 11:21 AM

Mostly.

:?:
details?

1996. Williams laid a blatantly dirty cut block on Jurkovic and destroyed his knee. Up to that point the Packers had been playing Dallas fairly even, but when Jerko left the defense suddenly found itself unable to stop Emmit Smith and began making the kind of mistakes you see when guys are pissed and lose concentration. Williams illegal cut block ruined Jerkovic's career and might have kept the 1995 Packers out of the Super Bowl. Unless, of course, Favre would have lost the game throwing 4th quarter picks.

Fritz
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
James Jones is starting to really piss Fritz off. Fritz really thought highly of JJ after JJ's rookie year, but Fritz has yet to see JJ develop as a receiver. He truly is Fergusonesque, and Fritz is still trying to pretend he did not like Robert Ferguson when that draft pick was made.

Fritz thinks TT is going to draft a wide receiver next April.