PDA

View Full Version : Al Harris

steve823
11-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Anybody hear anything on Al ? I saw a couple interviews and stuff ,but it seems like McCarthy is taking his time. I'm not good with PUP dates and all ,but when is the last day we can activate him?

I'm guessing McCarthy will have him ready for the week after the bye ,but I thought the time limit on activating players was coming soon.

Joemailman
11-04-2010, 05:25 PM
They have until this Monday to activate the PUP's. However, they have one open roster spot with the release of Mike Montgomery. I'm guessing they'll release Brandon Underwood and activate Harris and Bigby.

imscott72
11-04-2010, 06:37 PM
They have until this Monday to activate the PUP's. However, they have one open roster spot with the release of Mike Montgomery. I'm guessing they'll release Brandon Underwood and activate Harris and Bigby.

No, they have until Saturday to activate the PUP's. They have to be active this week, or released or placed on IR. It's six weeks, plus 2.

Little Whiskey
11-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm pretty sure joe is right. they don't have to be active until monday. then they need to be put on IR or active.

Joemailman
11-04-2010, 07:01 PM
From MM's PC Monday:

(To clarify something on the PUP guys, you have until three weeks from when they started practicing, correct?)
We have until Monday after the Dallas game would be when their window closes, is my understanding. Because we started them on Tuesday of that week. We had a workout on Tuesday.

steve823
11-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Found something:

NFL.com's Steve Wyche reports that Packers CB Al Harris (knee) and SS Atari Bigby (ankle) are slated to come off the PUP list this week.
Coach Mike McCarthy has made it clear that the team doesn't have to activate the two players until the Monday after the Cowboys game. While true, that doesn't mean they have to wait, and according to Wyche, they won't. Harris will be used as a nickel back, while Bigby might have a tough time overtaking Charlie Peprah for a starting job.

packerbacker1234
11-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Found something:

NFL.com's Steve Wyche reports that Packers CB Al Harris (knee) and SS Atari Bigby (ankle) are slated to come off the PUP list this week.
Coach Mike McCarthy has made it clear that the team doesn't have to activate the two players until the Monday after the Cowboys game. While true, that doesn't mean they have to wait, and according to Wyche, they won't. Harris will be used as a nickel back, while Bigby might have a tough time overtaking Charlie Peprah for a starting job.

Will be a career accomplishment that deserves a standing ovation just to see #31 step onto the field. We all saw how scary the injury was, and how hard he worked to wear that jersey again for us this season.

steve823
11-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Found something:

Will be a career accomplishment that deserves a standing ovation just to see #31 step onto the field. We all saw how scary the injury was, and how hard he worked to wear that jersey again for us this season.

Completely agree. Al's a competitor and I hope he goes out there and dominates whoever is across from him. Even if he doesn't, I'll still have a great amount of respect for him.

Guiness
11-05-2010, 02:41 AM
Stunned and shocked there's even the possibility he can get back to NFL level that fast.

Hope he's successful

TennesseePackerBacker
11-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Al's a physical freak. Like a fine wine or good scotch he's only gotten better with age. Few NFL players have the bodies to play well in to their late 30's at an elite level; but Al has the body type. I hope we see him back to where he once was.

I refuse to predict a good outcome and jinx him.

gbgary
11-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Found something:

i know the injury was massive but i seem to remember the play was pretty benign. no? looked for it on youtube but couldn't find it. who was it against?

Fosco33
11-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Found something:

i know the injury was massive but i seem to remember the play was pretty benign. no? looked for it on youtube but couldn't find it. who was it against?

Niners

packerbacker1234
11-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Al Harris said himself this weak it would take another freak injury to further heal the knee, claiming that it has been proclaimed as being 100%, and possibly even stronger than it was thanks to the extensive offseason rehab and legwork he had to do.

If he comes back and performs at the top level we are accustomed to seeing him perform, our secondary will be scary. He could then become the comeback player of the year, honestly.

No offense to Sam Shields who has done a great job in his rookie season, but Al Harris in his top form is as good as Williams has been playing this year, possibly better, but it's hard to really compare the two yet. Harris shut down #1 WR's for years, so we have to see Williams do this against some top tier competition first. Played great so far against what he has seen this year, admittedly.

Al Harris, packer nation is rooting for you. Much respect for how you carry yourself on and off the field, your work ethic, and how you are doing everything you can to help us reach our goals this season.

Cheesehead Craig
11-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Found something:

First time he gets an INT at Lambeau, the place is going to go bananas.

mraynrand
11-05-2010, 10:59 AM
They gotta get Al on the field this week. Roy Williams is absolutely terrified of Al. It's almost comical.

"He's 8 feet, 12 inches," Williams said. "His arms are 36 feet long and he's so strong with those long arms. His arms drag on the floor and when he puts those arms on you, you're not going anywhere. It's really like a boxing match. You have to fight, using your hands. He's so skinny, yet so strong and that's what makes him so good."

"I vote for him for the Pro Bowl year in and year out," he said. "He's not the corner who is going to get you interceptions. By no means is he going to do that. He will shut down that No. 1 receiver, whoever he is matched up with. They may leave the game with two catches for 29 yards. That's just the type of player he is.

"He's my measuring stick for how good I can be against him because like I said, I think he's the best corner in this league."

SlimPickens
11-05-2010, 11:43 AM
They gotta get Al on the field this week. Roy Williams is absolutely terrified of Al. It's almost comical.

"He's 8 feet, 12 inches," Williams said. "His arms are 36 feet long and he's so strong with those long arms. His arms drag on the floor and when he puts those arms on you, you're not going anywhere. It's really like a boxing match. You have to fight, using your hands. He's so skinny, yet so strong and that's what makes him so good."

"I vote for him for the Pro Bowl year in and year out," he said. "He's not the corner who is going to get you interceptions. By no means is he going to do that. He will shut down that No. 1 receiver, whoever he is matched up with. They may leave the game with two catches for 29 yards. That's just the type of player he is.

"He's my measuring stick for how good I can be against him because like I said, I think he's the best corner in this league." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fritz
11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Found something:

True - he's definitely my hero right now. But the first time he lets a receiver get by him for a touchdown, I'll be calling for MM to cut Harris's soggy, over-the-hill ass.

gbgary
11-05-2010, 12:03 PM

"He's my measuring stick for how good I can be against him because like I said, I think he's the best corner in this league." :lol: :lol: :lol:

2 for 29....that's a good day for roy.

packerbacker1234
11-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Found something:

True - he's definitely my hero right now. But the first time he lets a receiver get by him for a touchdown, I'll be calling for MM to cut Harris's soggy, over-the-hill ass.

He was playing well last year pre injury. Williams praise this week may be a tad over the top, claiming he is the best shut down corner in the league... but every WR he has played against has spoke volumes about Harriss's ability, even the last few seasons. Guy is a true shutdown corner. If he is still in his top form, it will be hard for us to not run nickle all the time just to keep him, woodson, and williams ont he field. You can man up williams and harris on their top 2 wr's and just let woodson roam out there and be the turnover machine we all know he can be.

As I said, if Harris is back to what he was, this secondary is scary as hell.

mraynrand
11-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Found something:

He was playing well last year pre injury. Williams praise this week may be a tad over the top, claiming he is the best shut down corner in the league... but every WR he has played against has spoke volumes about Harriss's ability, even the last few seasons. Guy is a true shutdown corner. If he is still in his top form, it will be hard for us to not run nickle all the time just to keep him, woodson, and williams ont he field. You can man up williams and harris on their top 2 wr's and just let woodson roam out there and be the turnover machine we all know he can be.

As I said, if Harris is back to what he was, this secondary is scary as hell.

Those RW quotes are from a few years back

CaptainKickass
11-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Al Harris, at even 80% or more of his former self, should make this secondary "scary". I can't even imagine it if he can resemble his previous play.