PDA

View Full Version : Read This, Be Smarter: Breakdown of Sanchez's Breakdowns

pbmax
11-04-2010, 06:33 PM
http://footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2010/walkthrough-decision-2010

Look for the subheading The Jet Offensive midway through. Its a breakdown of the plays Sanchez could have made (and in one case, did) versus the Packers D. It includes some open Jets receivers missed by the formerly poised Sanchize.

I would reprint the text, but then you would miss the nifty chalkboard diagrams. It includes Braylon Edwards being open after a play fake, Desmond Bishop having the best coverage short while all the rest of the defense was playing to keep the Jets out of the endzone and in bounds to end the half. Hawk with primary coverage on Cotchery yielding 49 yards. Another in a string of confusing Woodson pass off's to the safety, when the three safeties are otherwise occupied.

If anyone has video of the plays, especially of its any of the individual plays instead of the NFL highlights, a link would be fantastic.

Bossman641
11-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Good stuff PB. It's disappointing to see the busted coverages.

superfan
11-04-2010, 09:08 PM
I felt dumber reading the political stuff at the beginning (although entertaining), then smarter when reading the rest of the article about coverages. Then dumber again when reading the Moss jokes, but again, entertaining. Apparently entertainment does not equal intelligence.

But I was warned, can't blame pbmax. Thanks again for posting.

Guiness
11-04-2010, 10:03 PM
I felt dumber reading the political stuff at the beginning (although entertaining), then smarter when reading the rest of the article about coverages. Then dumber again when reading the Moss jokes, but again, entertaining. Apparently entertainment does not equal intelligence.

But I was warned, can't blame pbmax. Thanks again for posting.

Well, Superfan, keep hearing you're a good guy, but man, this was a dumb statement :lol: :lol: (I kid, I kid)

Apparently entertainment does not equal intelligence.

Baywatch was on the air for how many years? Brett Micheals has a new reality show? Well, both are entertaining!

Guiness
11-04-2010, 10:16 PM
The play breakdowns were well done, thanks pb.

I'm with you, I'd love to see some film, other than the network feed, for some of this stuff. For instance, I know there's a camera pointed at the line on every play, so they can go back and show the reason for a penalty or something. I'd love to get the footage showing the line for a whole game.

From the plays he broke down, I'd like to see the first one, where everyone bit on play action, and the fourth one, 'who covers Edwards'

packerbacker1234
11-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Thing is, I think you can find this sort of stuff in every defense in every game. There are always break downs, and they are not always taken advantage of. We see that in our own offense. 2 games ago, there were three plays in particular where Driver was running wide open (you know, the game that ended his catch streak) and Rodgers never once looked his way, instead eyeing his one receiver and forcing the ball.

Sanchez isn't alone in this. This can also speak volumes for our Defense's ability to mask those breakdowns to the QB's vision. Be it with the pass rush or just throwing a confusing coverage at him that makes him overthink what is going on on the back end.

Sure, elite QB's will still get the read right most of the time, barring pressure, but it is what it is. Good break down, but I bet you could do this for every defense in the NFL.

Guiness
11-05-2010, 02:46 AM
Thing is, I think you can find this sort of stuff in every defense in every game. There are always break downs, and they are not always taken advantage of. We see that in our own offense. 2 games ago, there were three plays in particular where Driver was running wide open (you know, the game that ended his catch streak) and Rodgers never once looked his way, instead eyeing his one receiver and forcing the ball.

Sanchez isn't alone in this. This can also speak volumes for our Defense's ability to mask those breakdowns to the QB's vision. Be it with the pass rush or just throwing a confusing coverage at him that makes him overthink what is going on on the back end.

Sure, elite QB's will still get the read right most of the time, barring pressure, but it is what it is. Good break down, but I bet you could do this for every defense in the NFL.

Without a doubt. There something to be said for what having a 300lb man, 15 feet away, who stands to make $2million more/year if he slams your ass to the turf a couple of times, will do to your concentration!

The first one in particular surprised me. The D bit on play action, he's supposed to be watching for that, it's the whole point. We bit, he didn't take what was given to him.

Looking at how a play develops is great. Was it 2 years ago that JSO would pick a play every game, and break it down with graphics? I remember one in particular, because they were praising Moll for blocking a DE into an LB to spring Grant!

denverYooper
11-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Word.

pbmax
11-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Word.
True, to an extent. But better and more veteran QBs will find them. That is why I wanted to see the clips, to see if it was really a blown coverage, was the DB close enough to recover or was it just a DB reading a throw and moving away?

Pressure on any QB, of course, hides these open guys just like they were hidden from Sanchez.

denverYooper
11-06-2010, 08:51 AM

Word.
True, to an extent. But better and more veteran QBs will find them. That is why I wanted to see the clips, to see if it was really a blown coverage, was the DB close enough to recover or was it just a DB reading a throw and moving away?

Pressure on any QB, of course, hides these open guys just like they were hidden from Sanchez.

You can get NFL Game rewind for $25 -- https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/registerform -- and have access to every game. Word on the streets is that they now starting to offer All-22 film on some plays as well. I haven't taken the plunge so I can't verify but it seems like a pretty good deal. Given the recent plethora of X's and O's columns from Bowen, FO, etc, I've been tempted to get it for educational purposes.