PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Season Awards

Smidgeon
11-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Since everyone else is doing it...

MVP:
Aaron Rodgers. As in, do you really think the team won't miss him if he wasn't playing? This isn't an indictment on Matt Flynn but an aknowledgment that Rodgers is where the team begins and ends. If Matthews goes down, they can attempt to hide it in a scheme though the defense wouldn't be as good. If Rodgers goes down, this pass-first team with an opportunistic defense (though less so than last year) will only be able to limp through the season as an occasional spoiler for other teams.
Honorable Mention: Clay Matthews (see below)

Offensive Player of the Mid-Year:
Brandon Jackson. He leads the team in yards from scrimmage with over 100 more yards than the second, Greg Jennings. He doesn't have the TDs of Jennings (2 to 5), but is doing his best to keep defenses honest. When Ryan Grant went down, there didn't seem to be much hope for the ground game. But Jackson has been averaging 4.4 yards per attempt all year long which ties Grant's 2009 average and beats his 2008 average.
Honorable Mention: Greg Jennings. After a slow start in 2010 with 14 catches for 183 yards in the first five games, Jennings stepped up his game with 18 catches for 288 yards in the last three. While it still isn't the overall pace we're used to, it's much closer than what we expected before the season began.

Defensive Player of the Mid-Year:
Clay Matthews. His 9.5 sacks leads the NFL, even after sitting out over a game with a hamstring injury. Without him on the field, the defense became ordinary and lost two close games.
Honorable Mention: B.J. Raji. Can anyone overstate how important it is that Raji's been able to play almost every snap of every game this year and still make the offense account for him? If this year doesn't end with a Pro-Bowl nod, people haven't been paying attention.

Offensive Rookie:
Bryan Bulaga. While he fought hard for a starting position in training camp, an injury slowed him enough that the veteran experience in the line kept him as the top backup. He's played most of one game for Clifton and several games for Tauscher and looks to be a starter for a long time on that line.
Honorable Mention: Andrew Quarless. Even though he's had some rookie mistakes and recently got called out by his coach for not gutting out an injury, Quarless has already had more receptions in his rookie year in six games than Finley had in his rookie year in fourteen. Plus, he hasn't shown public immaturity by blaming his coaches and QB for his dropped passes. While he doesn't have the ceiling of Finley, Quarless shows a lot of potential to be a future #1 TE...for a team that doesn't have a super-TE.

Defensive Rookie:
Sam Shields. An early prediction to be cut in the training camp roster reductions when he couldn't catch a punt to save his life. He used his speed in the preseason games to keep being on the roster bubble and eventually worked his way up to legitimate nickel back. Another Tramon Williams? Perhaps. But Shields hasn't been picked on by opposing QBs. Which makes me wonder how good he's going to be considering he's been a DB less than two years.
Honorable Mention: Frank Zombo. A hard worker who made the team based on toughness in the preseason. He appears to play the run well though doesn't have a lot of pass rush to him. As an undrafted player, he still has time to develop.

Assistant:
Mike Trgovac. Could it be anybody else? He took Howard Green and made him a good player in one practice. He certainly didn't play like someone who had just been cut. Not only that, but Raji's been playing with a non-stop motor on a high play count and he's had Wilson and Wynn rotating in after season ending injuries to Harrell and Neal. He's also had Jenkins and Pickett miss portions of or entire games and the unit has still been stout.
Honorable Mention: (tie) Kevin Greene. If just for the progression of Clay Matthews. (tie) Ben McAdoo. The tight end situation was thrown for a huge loop when Finley went down and Lee got injured. What did McAdoo do? He got an undrafted TE in Crabtree and a player many thought was a year or two away in Quarless to show up and produce. Not too bad.

Coach/Coordinator:
Dom Capers. Despite all the injuries, Dom has been putting together a respectable defense in almost all of the games so far (ignore Detroit please). The Jets game was a testament to this. I think Capers is doing more this year in the system than he could last year. Next year the defense should be scary with more defensive starting quality players than there are starting spots.
Honorable Mention: Mike McCarthy. Granted, there wasn't much choice left between him, Philbin, or Slocum, but he gets credit for the Jets win, the challenges in the Minnesota game, and keeping an injured team on fire and playing like they have something to play for.

Fritz
11-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I have come to believe that Clay Matthews is the MVP of this team. Rodgers has been mediocre, but Matthews has been outstanding. The team needs Matthews more than Rodgers - at least the way Rodgers is playing.

hoosier
11-05-2010, 07:44 PM
When Brandon Jackson is your offensive player of the half-season it is time to cancel the entire selection process. Let's hope they can find a way to get in sync during the second half so that we don't have to debate Kuhn vs. Donald Lee for best offensive player.

Patler
11-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Packers offensive player of the year?

#1 Rodgers, for obvious reasons. Although his stats are "down" compared to the previous two years, the offense still goes as far as he takes it, throwing, recognizing defenses, etc.

#2 Chad Clifton - Even when he was struggling early, he managed to fight off opponents and keep Rodgers alive. Lately, he has been the Clifton of old, line him up and forget about that part of the defense. I'm not sure Bulaga would be having the same success, he gets schooled every now and then at RT, and it would be worse at LT. Clifton playing like Clifton has brought stability to the O-line at a critical position.

Bossman641
11-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Offensive player of the year? Wow, that's a tough one to fill. Can we leave that one blank for now?

I guess Rodgers by default.

Smidgeon
11-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Well, I purposefully left Rodgers out of the Offensive Player of the Year category because I put him in as MVP. I would have done the same with Clay if I had put him there.

gbgary
11-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Offensive player of the year? Wow, that's a tough one to fill. Can we leave that one blank for now?this! the o has been very disappointing. can't sustain a drive to save their lives. mvp...williams, dpoy...mr matthews, opoy...rodgers/jennings, roy...masthay?!

Bretsky
11-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Thinking back, when was the last time the GB MVP was not a QB. Thought to ponder.

I think I might give Clifton the Offensive MVP after Rodgers

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Thinking back, when was the last time the GB MVP was not a QB. Thought to ponder.

Ahman Green in 2003?

Bretsky
11-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Ahman Green in 2003?

Yes, I think you are right; he was truly amazing that year.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-06-2010, 12:53 AM
I can't argue with you on B.J. Raji for Defensive honorable mention, but I can offer a justly worthy candidate.

Tramon Williams. Without him we'd be looking at Shields as our number 2. You could argue he's looked better in coverage than Woodson this year as well. He's made an incredible leap from last year, and is really playing like a shutdown cover corner.

Tarlam!
11-06-2010, 03:07 AM
Well, I purposefully left Rodgers out of the Offensive Player of the Year category because I put him in as MVP. I would have done the same with Clay if I had put him there.

Honestly? For me, MVP is Clay. Guy's a machine. Love Raji and so glad they have him. I wouldn't nominate any O player for MVP. That's me.

packerbacker1234
11-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Team MVP? Sure as hell isn't rodgers, you can say his numbers are down, but he is averaging over 1 turnover a game, and our offense simply isn't scoring points. I cannot safely say that a Matt Flynn offense couldn't be doing at least as good as the offense is doing now, maybe better given confidence levels. He threw just one pass this year, but that pass was deep and dead on.

Remember, Flynn is widely considered the best backup in the league. I am fulyl confident he could step in and lead this offense to at least the same success it is having now, which isn't much. To give him the MVP is practuically just hadning him something.

The fact our offense is so poor is directly on HIS shoulders. Not MM's, not the grant/finely injuiries - it's squarly on him, and he knows it. HE admitted just last week that the offensive struggles are on him. The line is giving himt ime, he still has some talented targets... he isn't finding them and has been wildly innacurate. I love Rodgers, but he is NOT the MVP. He is a detriment so far this season. As bad as Favre has held back the minnesota offense, Rodgerts has held back ours.

As for who should be the MVP?

Matthews is under consideration. Possible defensive player of the year canidate and is a clear difference maker for us. Really, the MVP isn't a player though, it's a coach and his unit. Dom Capers and the ENTIRE Defense.

People talk aobut how they have played well despite injuries. They have done more than play well, they have become on of the TOP DEFENSES IN THE NFL, despite injuries. Who would of thought? 4th in points allowed? I'LL TAKE IT. Defense is why we are winning games, offense is why we should be losing them all.