PDA

View Full Version : Thompson gets a C- grade

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2010, 11:07 PM
The Packers are 5-3 despite numerous injuries, and they give him a C-minus (all because he didn't sign any FAs). WTF! I'd argue that he's a big reason why we are 5-3 because the young guys he's acquired have filled in quite admirably. Personally, I think it's pretty pathetic.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101105/PKR01/101105120/Defense-makes-the-grade-at-halfway-point-of-2010

Personnel Moves

Once again, General Manager Ted Thompson did nothing in free agency. His third-round pick, Burnett, opened the season as a starter. His first-round pick, Bulaga, moved into a starting role during the season. Second-round pick Mike Neal looked like a good addition to the defensive line but couldn’t stay healthy. Quarless, a fifth-rounder, looks like a promising prospect. He and his staff may have found gems in undrafted rookies Shields and Zombo. So it looks like he’s put together another good rookie class. The in-season addition of Green looks good, but failing to add a quality running back after Grant got hurt has crippled the offense. Thompson refused to bid enough to get former first-round draft pick Marshawn Lynch in a trade from Buffalo. Thompson’s former understudy, Seattle GM John Schneider, did it, and the Seahawks have been happy with his contributions.

Grade: C-minus.

superfan
11-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Agree, that's preposterous. For better or worse, this organization is getting victimized by preseason expectations.

Haven't read the entire article, but based on your quote here it seems ludicrous that TT is complimented on most of his draft picks and UFA signings, and the only negative comment is that the team failed to sign Marshawn Lynch, who hasn't produced any more than Brandon Jackson. Yet the sum of that somehow merits a C- grade. Especially harsh considering it's the hometown paper.

I'd give him a grade of a B+ at least, and probably should be higher if not for my own preseason high expectations.

If you want to give a C- grade for the overall season to date, that's somewhat understandable although highly debatable, but I don't see how you can give that C- grade to Thompson alone. He has built a roster that has managed to be competitive despite an amazing rash of injuries, and you can hardly blame him for three 3 point losses, two in overtime.

Let's also see a comparison of how other FA signings have panned out around the league before blaming him solely for not signing FAs.

Cheesehead Craig
11-05-2010, 11:45 PM
I'd give my comments on this stupid article, but that would mean it would go into the F*ck thread.

This is a joke of a review.

The Leaper
11-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Thompson deserves some criticism for his handling of the OL and for not trying to upgrade our overall talent at RB. Is it enough to give him an average grade as a GM? Of course not. The talent he brings in via the draft each year is consistently above average compared to other teams. He is easily one of the 5 best guys in the league at identifying college talent and projecting it forward to the NFL level.

The OL has been average at best for the length of Thompson's tenure. He has yet to really produce a high quality OL talent. Sitton is probably his best draft pick on the OL to date...and he's had far more duds than studs. Thompson has been very fortunate that Clifton and Tauscher have lasted this long. The lack of a strong OL is hindering this team...Rodgers keeps getting happy feet in the pocket, and the run game has never been able to establish confidence in short yardage.

To me, Thompson gets a solid B+ this season...he didn't hit any home runs, which I think are necessary to get up to that A level. However, he once again improved the roster's talent from top to bottom. Few GMs in the league do that as consistently as Thompson.

Tarlam!
11-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Harv', Superfan, I agree with you guys.

bobblehead
11-06-2010, 05:29 AM
the jes were very aggressive in the offseasn. they had 21 of 22 starters healthy. they were off a bye week. they were at home. which gm won the game again??

Tarlam!
11-06-2010, 06:51 AM
the jes were very aggressive in the offseasn. they had 21 of 22 starters healthy. they were off a bye week. they were at home. which gm won the game again??

That was on me starting the gameday thread, and I'll thank everybody to remeber that!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

AtlPackFan
11-06-2010, 07:27 AM

That was on me starting the gameday thread, and I'll thank everybody to remeber that!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Tarlam, I remember. Now do the same for the Cowpukes!

RashanGary
11-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Thompson deserves some criticism for his handling of the OL and for not trying to upgrade our overall talent at RB. Is it enough to give him an average grade as a GM? Of course not. The talent he brings in via the draft each year is consistently above average compared to other teams. He is easily one of the 5 best guys in the league at identifying college talent and projecting it forward to the NFL level.

The OL has been average at best for the length of Thompson's tenure. He has yet to really produce a high quality OL talent. Sitton is probably his best draft pick on the OL to date...and he's had far more duds than studs. Thompson has been very fortunate that Clifton and Tauscher have lasted this long. The lack of a strong OL is hindering this team...Rodgers keeps getting happy feet in the pocket, and the run game has never been able to establish confidence in short yardage.

To me, Thompson gets a solid B+ this season...he didn't hit any home runs, which I think are necessary to get up to that A level. However, he once again improved the roster's talent from top to bottom. Few GMs in the league do that as consistently as Thompson.

This seems like a reasonable summary to me.

Tarlam!
11-06-2010, 07:35 AM

Tarlam, I remember. Now do the same for the Cowpukes!

Well, I think Mad set the record, which broke down when he startet a gameday thread on my pc during the first Rat Annual Game.

Tell ya what though, I'll be attempting my magic again tomorrow!

PackerTimer
11-06-2010, 07:53 AM
The Packers are 5-3 despite numerous injuries, and they give him a C-minus (all because he didn't sign any FAs). WTF! I'd argue that he's a big reason why we are 5-3 because the young guys he's acquired have filled in quite admirably. Personally, I think it's pretty pathetic.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101105/PKR01/101105120/Defense-makes-the-grade-at-halfway-point-of-2010

[quote]Personnel Moves

Once again, General Manager Ted Thompson did nothing in free agency. His third-round pick, Burnett, opened the season as a starter. His first-round pick, Bulaga, moved into a starting role during the season. Second-round pick Mike Neal looked like a good addition to the defensive line but couldn’t stay healthy. Quarless, a fifth-rounder, looks like a promising prospect. He and his staff may have found gems in undrafted rookies Shields and Zombo. So it looks like he’s put together another good rookie class. The in-season addition of Green looks good, but failing to add a quality running back after Grant got hurt has crippled the offense. Thompson refused to bid enough to get former first-round draft pick Marshawn Lynch in a trade from Buffalo. Thompson’s former understudy, Seattle GM John Schneider, did it, and the Seahawks have been happy with his contributions.

Grade: C-minus.[/quote

Completely agree Harvey. The writer who wrote this is off his rocker. If it wasn't for Thompson putting together a deep and talented roster over the last four years this years team would end up being the 4-12 team from a few years ago. Similar injury situations but now that he's had time to makeover the team they can sustain those injuries and still compete. This season may end up not being as successful as we all hoped but it isn't going to be a disaster either. And on top of that the window is just starting to open so the Packers don't need to mortgage the franchise and trade picks for over the hill players. More times that not we have guys on our roster who are as good as anybody out there.

Take Brandon Jackson, over the last few weeks Jackson has been performing pretty well. As well if not better than Lynch has in Seattle. The one guy that cited in the article as being a potential in season upgrade hasn't been any better than what we already had. I know people have said Thompson overvalues his own guys. I don't think that is true at all. I think he puts the right value on his guys and doesn't overvalue others. He didn't think Lynch would be much of an upgrade and you know what, he was probably right.

I agree with JH and Leaper that there are things TT probably could have done a little better and a B+ seems like a fair grade. But a C- is below average and there is no way Thompson has been below average this year.

Bretsky
11-06-2010, 07:58 AM

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Bretsky
11-06-2010, 08:01 AM

Pretty seleictive reasoning that can go the other way

The Bears were aggressive in free agency when both squads were relative healthy; which gm won that game ?

And I'm not arguing the Bears have anything special at GM

Patler
11-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Quarterbacks: C+
Running backs: D+
Receivers: C+
Tight ends: C.
Offensive line: C+
Defensive line: C+
Linebackers: B+
Defensive backs: B
Special teams: C+
Coaching: B-
Personnel moves: C-

Spot on analysis. They really hit the nail on the head and have identified the reasons this team is tanking and is already out of the playoff hunt half way through the season. All those average grades identify why the team has been embarrassed when facing the better teams in the league and has just barely gotten by the poor teams.

Clearly TT deserves his lowest grade on the team. He has allowed injuries to ruin the season. The team has no depth, and once the top-line players are lost, no one steps up.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

OK, turning off my sarcasm button for a minute, this is just absurd. The lowest grade goes to TT and his personnel moves because he didn't trade for Marshawn Lynch? Are you kidding me? The team has lost:
2 offensive starters out for the season
1 offensive starter out for half the games played so far.
1 offensive starter essentially out for the last two games, and out the next
3 defensive starters out for the season.
3 defensive first line backups out for the season.
1 defensive starter essentially out for 3 games.
2 defensive starters from last year not yet back from the PUP list.
The nickel corner missing two games.

That's 14 key players who have missed how many games of the 8 played so far?

Through all of that the team has a 5-3 record, beats the Vikings and Jets, loses two in overtime that could have been won, and TT gets the lowest grade given, a C- for his personnel moves, because he didn't pull off a trade for Marshawn Lynch? You could say he effectively replaced 13 of the 14 players, but gets a C- because he didn't trade for Lynch?

wist43
11-06-2010, 08:18 AM
I agree with JH, I think this is a reasonable telling... however, I would give TT a pretty solid B.

I don't see us as a legit SB contender... but rather a 4,5,6 seed. Maybe we'll be seeded higher than that b/c the NFC seems to be down this year, but the bottom line is that we have some glaring weaknesses, and those weaknesses will show in crunch time.

Bretsky
11-06-2010, 08:23 AM
I agree with JH, I think this is a reasonable telling... however, I would give TT a pretty solid B.

I don't see us as a legit SB contender... but rather a 4,5,6 seed. Maybe we'll be seeded higher than that b/c the NFC seems to be down this year, but the bottom line is that we have some glaring weaknesses, and those weaknesses will show in crunch time.

Pretty much agree

But Wist........Isn't it about time you give Dom Capers some serious love :?:

Patler
11-06-2010, 08:25 AM
failing to add a quality running back after Grant got hurt has crippled the offense. Thompson refused to bid enough to get former first-round draft pick Marshawn Lynch in a trade from Buffalo. Thompson’s former understudy, Seattle GM John Schneider, did it, and the Seahawks have been happy with his contributions.

So what if the Seahawks are happy with Lynch? The question is, would the Packers be happier with Lynch than with Jackson. Hard to say, but from performances to date it would seem, "No"; but it is impossible to project what Lynch would be doing in GB compared to what he is doing in Seattle.

A comparison:

Category Jackson/Lynch
Carries: 95/87
Yards : 418/304
Average: 4.4/3.5
Longest: 71/39

Receptions: 21/4
Yards : 167/16
Average: 8.0/4.0

Blocking: very good/I don’t know!

Patler
11-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Pretty much agree

But you don't need to be a super bowl contender, you just need to get to the playoffs, especially after losing 5 starters for the season and numerous others for 1 or more of the 8 games so far, including two key performers on offense, Grant and Finley, for the season and others key performers like Mathews and Pickett for one or more games.

Expectations have to change, especially at mid-season as the team adjusts to the changes in personnel. The goal now becomes to make the playoffs and for the team to find its new identity and be playing well two months from now.

wist43
11-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Pretty much agree

Yeah, I've been thinking about it, lol :)

He's done as great job... I still don't trust him though - a leopard/spots kindofa thing. He's done a lot with the backups... maybe that's a good thing??? He has to coach and be creative b/c he's undermanned, and that produces good game plans?? I don't know... maybe if he's fully manned, he sits back and plays more vanilla??

Still, he has major challenges ahead... anybody have snap stats for Raji??? Without him, we'd be sunk.

packerbacker1234
11-06-2010, 10:23 AM

Very good post except the for one part I bolded. Rodgers having happy feet is completely on Rodgers. THe OL, this season, has given him all day to the throw the ball. This is a big reason why his massive drop off from the previous two years is baffling, because he's never had more time to throw the ball than he does this season, and Finely was out for parts of last year, and was a factor the season prior, so it's hard to just point the fnger at finely being the problem when he didn't reall have him the last 2 seasons.

Brandon494
11-06-2010, 10:24 AM
C-? :roll:

He dropped the ball on getting a running back but this draft class alone should get him atleast a B rating.

packerbacker1234
11-06-2010, 10:32 AM

He dropped the ball on getting a running back but this draft class alone should get him atleast a B rating.

I don't like TT as a person. I hate how he carries himself, the way he handles the media, and generally the way he talks. He sounds like an idiot when that mouth opens.

But man, he has one of the best eyes for college talent around. He is to be credited greatly for that depth at defense, along with Capers know how best to use the players he has available to still shut down teams.

c- for not replacing a key offensive weapon, or drafting a guy who could add that depth, is duely noted. Once we switched to a 3-4, the draft clearly foavred the defense and getting it what it needed. However, we have struggled without grant.

I completley forgot that our offense was 50-50 first game with Grant available. I completely underestimated MM's confidence in Grant getting the job done, and grant was having a pretty decent game pre injury. TT should get deducted points for lack of depth at such an important position on offense, but he has to given some credit for what he did for our defense.

C- is too harsh. Maybe a solid C+. A B would of required better solutions for our OL without relying old tackles playing well, and depth at RB which has also been an issue, even before grant came on in 07. Credit to him for plucking Grant and him becoming a solid starter, but a discredt that in in 3 seasons we have failed to provide decent depth behind him.

Patler
11-06-2010, 10:56 AM

I don't like TT as a person. I hate how he carries himself, the way he handles the media, and generally the way he talks. He sounds like an idiot when that mouth opens.

But man, he has one of the best eyes for college talent around. He is to be credited greatly for that depth at defense, along with Capers know how best to use the players he has available to still shut down teams.

c- for not replacing a key offensive weapon, or drafting a guy who could add that depth, is duely noted. Once we switched to a 3-4, the draft clearly foavred the defense and getting it what it needed. However, we have struggled without grant.

I completley forgot that our offense was 50-50 first game with Grant available. I completely underestimated MM's confidence in Grant getting the job done, and grant was having a pretty decent game pre injury. TT should get deducted points for lack of depth at such an important position on offense, but he has to given some credit for what he did for our defense.

C- is too harsh. Maybe a solid C+. A B would of required better solutions for our OL without relying old tackles playing well, and depth at RB which has also been an issue, even before grant came on in 07. Credit to him for plucking Grant and him becoming a solid starter, but a discredt that in in 3 seasons we have failed to provide decent depth behind him.

But he did draft a guy to add to the RB depth. Unfortunately, he got hurt. Many of the so-called "experts" identified Starks as a potential sleeper who could greatly outperform his draft spot.

Actually, TT is no longer relying on the old tackles playing well, in fact one isn't even playing and hasn't for half of the games played. The other is, but at least there is now an heir-apparent for his spot. Lang is a great unknown at this point, and whether or not he can replace Tauscher long-term or not.

Fritz
11-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I started that whole "How is Marshawn Lynch" thread because it seemed to me that it had become conventional wisdom that this was a major mistake on Thompson's part.

I frankly don't understand. Patler posted the side-by-side numbers, and Jackson's are better, period. And for those who would argue that's because Green Bay's offensive run blocking is better than Buffalo/Seattle's, I say only this: yeah, right. The offensive line has kept Rodgers clean but as far as run blocking? We've been complaining about the inability of Clifton and Tauscher to make the backside cut block for as long as the zone scheme has been used in Green Bay. And watch the games - what chance did Jackson have against the Vikings or Jets (or anyone) when he got the ball moving right and there were clusters of players two and three yards behind the line of scrimmage as Jackson tried to get outside?

My only real complaints with Thompson are that he hasn't found Matthews's complement yet, and that he hasn't locked up Tramon Williams and Cullen Jenkins yet. And he's still got time to get those two re-signed.

I say B+, maybe A-.

packerbacker1234
11-06-2010, 11:02 AM
I started that whole "How is Marshawn Lynch" thread because it seemed to me that it had become conventional wisdom that this was a major mistake on Thompson's part.

I frankly don't understand. Patler posted the side-by-side numbers, and Jackson's are better, period. And for those who would argue that's because Green Bay's offensive run blocking is better than Buffalo/Seattle's, I say only this: yeah, right. The offensive line has kept Rodgers clean but as far as run blocking? We've been complaining about the inability of Clifton and Tauscher to make the backside cut block for as long as the zone scheme has been used in Green Bay. And watch the games - what chance did Jackson have against the Vikings or Jets (or anyone) when he got the ball moving right and there were clusters of players two and three yards behind the line of scrimmage as Jackson tried to get outside?

My only real complaints with Thompson are that he hasn't found Matthews's complement yet, and that he hasn't locked up Tramon Williams and Cullen Jenkins yet. And he's still got time to get those two re-signed.

I say B+, maybe A-.

As was pointed out in a recent article, Jackson's numbers are skewed. He has the one long run, an da meaningless 27 yarder before half when we were running the clock out. Outside of those two runs, Jackson is averging a pretty pedestrian number on his carries. He has looked good at times, which I think most of that is credited to catching the defense off guard, more than him being good.

3irty1
11-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Also take into account that a former Thompson mid round draft pick, Desmond Bishop, is breaking out. Also Pat Lee has made good contributions and has played corner and returned kicks as well as anyone else on the team. Peprah is also impressing with his opportunities. There is depth on the team that we didn't even know we had.

I also didn't hear anyone mention the contributions of CJ Wilson which are already significant and look to increase even more. When you find this many guys to contribute to a playoff team in and after the draft, you've got a great GM. I'd give him a B+ at least.

Pugger
11-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Quarterbacks: C+
Running backs: D+
Receivers: C+
Tight ends: C.
Offensive line: C+
Defensive line: C+
Linebackers: B+
Defensive backs: B
Special teams: C+
Coaching: B-
Personnel moves: C-

Spot on analysis. They really hit the nail on the head and have identified the reasons this team is tanking and is already out of the playoff hunt half way through the season. All those average grades identify why the team has been embarrassed when facing the better teams in the league and has just barely gotten by the poor teams.

Clearly TT deserves his lowest grade on the team. He has allowed injuries to ruin the season. The team has no depth, and once the top-line players are lost, no one steps up.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

OK, turning off my sarcasm button for a minute, this is just absurd. The lowest grade goes to TT and his personnel moves because he didn't trade for Marshawn Lynch? Are you kidding me? The team has lost:
2 offensive starters out for the season
1 offensive starter out for half the games played so far.
1 offensive starter essentially out for the last two games, and out the next
3 defensive starters out for the season.
3 defensive first line backups out for the season.
1 defensive starter essentially out for 3 games.
2 defensive starters from last year not yet back from the PUP list.
The nickel corner missing two games.

That's 14 key players who have missed how many games of the 8 played so far?

Through all of that the team has a 5-3 record, beats the Vikings and Jets, loses two in overtime that could have been won, and TT gets the lowest grade given, a C- for his personnel moves, because he didn't pull off a trade for Marshawn Lynch? You could say he effectively replaced 13 of the 14 players, but gets a C- because he didn't trade for Lynch?

+1

The Press-Gazette just got Patlerized!!! :D

cheesner
11-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Also take into account that a former Thompson mid round draft pick, Desmond Bishop, is breaking out. Also Pat Lee has made good contributions and has played corner and returned kicks as well as anyone else on the team. Peprah is also impressing with his opportunities. There is depth on the team that we didn't even know we had.

I also didn't hear anyone mention the contributions of CJ Wilson which are already significant and look to increase even more. When you find this many guys to contribute to a playoff team in and after the draft, you've got a great GM. I'd give him a B+ at least.TT got lucky when Bishop, Lee, and Wilson dropped to him.

The fact of the matter is TT still hasn't gotten any depth behind our starting Long Snapper.

I give TT a solid 'D-'.

pbmax
11-06-2010, 12:15 PM

The Bears were aggressive in free agency when both squads were relative healthy; which gm won that game ?

Better question: Who's roster would you take?

Bretsky
11-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Right now ?

The Jets

pbmax
11-06-2010, 12:32 PM

I say B+, maybe A-.

As was pointed out in a recent article, Jackson's numbers are skewed. He has the one long run, an da meaningless 27 yarder before half when we were running the clock out. Outside of those two runs, Jackson is averging a pretty pedestrian number on his carries. He has looked good at times, which I think most of that is credited to catching the defense off guard, more than him being good.
All running back numbers are skewed the exact same way.

Find me a chart that lists the running backs by median yardage or with the longest and shortest gains removed, then call me. 27 yards at the end of the half is pretty good, if you ask me. Because even if that one first down is not enough to run the clock, you have just won the field position battle for that exchange of possessions.

But in terms of game outcomes, those long runs, even if surrounded by lots of mediocrity still have value that the writer is essentially ignoring. Could a steadier back with more down to down production be better? Sure, but the writer employs no effort to determine how much better they would need to be nor to determine if Marshawn Lynch is that back.

pbmax
11-06-2010, 12:41 PM
And I will defend the O line. Their protection this year has been good. Rodgers has been hit and sacked more than ideal, but he can be his own worst enemy in both areas. Other teams have had to send numbers to get him in most cases.

In years past, save last year when injuries exposed the backup tackles, the O line has been average and suffered in comparison to other facets of the offense.

This year, they might be the most effective unit. And their play is above average overall. As retailguy will tell you, they started slow again, but after injuries to Clifton, Tauscher and Colledge, they have really regained their form.

pbmax
11-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Right now ?

The Jets
Does right now include injuries? Then I might be hard pressed to argue.

But overall healthy, I'll take the Packers and pound you for four years.

Bretsky
11-06-2010, 12:55 PM

Right now ?

The Jets

Overall...healthy....I'd probably take the Pack but that Jets team is really good if you put age aside. They are close

Not many can hold the jock strap of that OL so they rarely get pounded

pbmax
11-06-2010, 12:58 PM

Right now ?

The Jets

Overall...healthy....I'd probably take the Pack but that Jets team is really good if you put age aside. They are close

Not many can hold the jock strap of that OL so they rarely get pounded
The Jets are in some ways, tailor made for the Packers to defeat. On offense, anyway. The Packers have enough size to neutralize, if not win the trench battle. Sanchez cannot take full advantage of coverage shortfalls and the running game versus the current Packer front seven will not break a game open. Which means the game turns on Sanchez and limiting turnovers.

A team that can run like that and pass better would expose the lack of pass rush (outside of Matthews) or coverage on TEs.

ThunderDan
11-06-2010, 01:03 PM

I say B+, maybe A-.

Seriously, Jackson's numbers are skewed and every running back in the NFLs aren't?

Let's look at M Lynch

87 rushes for 304 yards or 3.5 ypc.
Get rid of his 39 yard run and 86 for 265 or just under 3.1 ypc
Get rid of his best 5 rushes for the year and he is 82 for 207 or 2.5 ypc

I thought we wanted explosive RB who could score long TDs. It sure looks like M Lynch ain't that guy just like BJack isn't that guy.

mmmdk
11-06-2010, 01:10 PM

Right now ?

The Jets

What????

Saints, Colts, Ravens & Steelers...even Pats & Giants. I'd even say a healthy Packers roster over Jets. Lastly, Chargers team is such underachievers with their talent - gotta be the coach though I like Turner but he's not getting it done. It should be Chargers > Jets but it ain't so. Jets is borderline top 5 roster though.

Tony Oday
11-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Writers are pissed because TT doesnt make a splash.

OL is suspect? Do you watch the Packers games or just a game cast on the internet? We have one old guy on he line and the rest of the guys are either real young or in their prime.

RB depth?! What was TT supposed to replace a guy that goes over 1000 yards and doesnt fumble? That makes NO sense.

What did he do wrong in the offseason? seriously tell me one thing. Marshawn Lynch is a nice name and I would have been onboard with it but really its not like he is AP or CJ.

TT added depth behind Finley in the draft because Finley hasnt made it through a year yet.

Neal was drafted because Jolly like da purple drank.

He gets an A-

Fritz
11-06-2010, 01:22 PM

I say B+, maybe A-.

Seriously, Jackson's numbers are skewed and every running back in the NFLs aren't?

Let's look at M Lynch

87 rushes for 304 yards or 3.5 ypc.
Get rid of his 39 yard run and 86 for 265 or just under 3.1 ypc
Get rid of his best 5 rushes for the year and he is 82 for 207 or 2.5 ypc

I thought we wanted explosive RB who could score long TDs. It sure looks like M Lynch ain't that guy just like BJack isn't that guy.

Thank you, Dan. You just saved me from going back and looking up Lynch's longest run, so I could reduce his numbers just as 1234 did with Jackson.

Bretsky
11-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Right now ?

The Jets

What????

Saints, Colts, Ravens & Steelers...even Pats & Giants. I'd even say a healthy Packers roster over Jets. Lastly, Chargers team is such underachievers with their talent - gotta be the coach though I like Turner but he's not getting it done. It should be Chargers > Jets but it ain't so. Jets is borderline top 5 roster though.

Perhaps you missed the content of the first few posts; we were looking at the Packers, Bears, and Jets

We were not doing a power ranking thread of the best rosters of the NFL :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2010, 02:23 PM
The Jets

Pre or post injuries? When healthy, I'd take our roster. The biggest reason? Aaron Rodgers is MUCH better than Mark Sanchez. I don't buy the hype on the Jets. (Don't get me wrong, they are a good team, but not the juggernaut they are made out to be.) I think the Steelers win the AFC.

Bretsky
11-06-2010, 02:34 PM
The Jets

Pre or post injuries? When healthy, I'd take our roster. The biggest reason? Aaron Rodgers is MUCH better than Mark Sanchez. I don't buy the hype on the Jets. (Don't get me wrong, they are a good team, but not the juggernaut they are made out to be.) I think the Steelers win the AFC.

The question I answered was not
Healthy I'd also noted I'd take the Pack but it is close

Agree about the Steelers; man does a healthy TP put all the pieced of that D together :!:

Patler
11-06-2010, 03:20 PM
The fact of the matter is TT still hasn't gotten any depth behind our starting Long Snapper.

I know you are kidding, but the funny thing is, TT did have depth at long snapper! In the 2009 off season, JJ Jansen, who TT signed out of college the year before, was still on the Packers roster. He had spent 2008 on IR. TT traded Jansen to Carolina, where he has been their long snapper ever since. How many GMs have signed a long snapper as an undrafted free agent, then traded him for a draft pick?

Fritz
11-06-2010, 03:29 PM
And then he traded our depth?? Damn TT, damn him!

I change that grade to a "D-"

retailguy
11-06-2010, 04:35 PM
And I will defend the O line. Their protection this year has been good. Rodgers has been hit and sacked more than ideal, but he can be his own worst enemy in both areas. Other teams have had to send numbers to get him in most cases.

In years past, save last year when injuries exposed the backup tackles, the O line has been average and suffered in comparison to other facets of the offense.

This year, they might be the most effective unit. And their play is above average overall. As retailguy will tell you, they started slow again, but after injuries to Clifton, Tauscher and Colledge, they have really regained their form.

Yep, retailguy will tell you. Overall the OL is better this year. Even I have to admit that. However, they're still only average, and we've spent way too much development time and way too many draft choices to be "average".

But, I'll take it because it damn sure beats the alternative, which is what we experienced the past 3 seasons. They are beginning to at least play consistently, and for this group that's a huge advantage. Sitton is a stud, Colledge is almost serviceable, Wells is what he's always been a blue collar lunch pail guy, Taush is done, but good depth at this point, Cliffy is falling into retirement gracefully, Bulaga looks like a stud, and Patler is right, Lang is completely unknown at this point.

Lots of Ted love in here which is to be expected. We all know where I am on my favorite Tedster, but I wouldn't give him a C- either. I would give him a B-, and I'd think about upping that to a B if the team can keep playing strong down the stretch.

I don't understand those grades of A-, they are really bewildering to me. There is more to a GM than drafting ability. I'll say that Ted might just be the best evaluator of college talent in the NFL, if not, you could not make a serious argument for less than top 5.

The rest of the job? He's pedestrian at best. His ability to evaluate coaching talent is mediocre. His ability to handle the media is below mediocre. He consistently undervalues the contributions that non rookie free agents and non Packer veterans can make to a squad. Today, I understand that he has decided he can build a talented veteran squad over a period of time, and that is still a work in progress. We won't know for another year or so. We'll see. He doesn't come close to sniffing an "A" of any type until this team wins a playoff game.

But today, I'll stand strong on a b-, and you might even argue well enough that I'd give a b. Nothing you could say will get me into A- territory. Put down the kool-aid, you've had enough.

FWIW, I don't think the "evaluation" by the Press Gazette was that unfair, and I understand it considering his relationship or lack thereof with any person who even thinks about wearing a media badge. Whether he likes it or not, it is a part of his job, and the single biggest area he needs to improve.

bobblehead
11-06-2010, 04:36 PM

we had already lost grant. the bears were nowhere near as aggressive as the jets. no bye week. in chicago. your entire argument is bunk

cheesner
11-06-2010, 06:10 PM
The Packers were a pre-season favorite for the Superbowl because TT has filled the roster with talented players. He was still able to add 3 players who started through the draft. Another player was a big contributer, Neal, before he got injured. 'Additionally, he added a FA, Shields, and a 7th rounder, who are providing substantial contributions. Has any GM in the NFL had that kind of success drafting this season? Maybe Detroit, or some of the other teams with poor teams last year, but those teams are so much easier to upgrade.

I am really disappointed in the author, Rob Demovsky, and I don't think I will be reading any more of his articles. I would easily give TT a solid 'A' and would say he has had a better off-season than any GM in the NFL.

If TT was let go tomorrow, I think he would have about 25 job offers before the end of the day. He is the best, and the Packers are damn lucky to have him.

imscott72
11-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Thompson hit a grand slam with Clay Matthews..Probably a 3 run shot with Raji as well..

Edit: Nevermind, I realize now we're talking this season only.

Bossman641
11-06-2010, 08:34 PM
I read this piece and was disgusted.

Look at the paragraph.......

This year, TT has 4 drafted players who are/were contributing heavily, 2 undrafted players who are contributing, and an in-season pickup in Green. How does 7 players contributing not heavily outweigh not wanting to spend a 3rd rounder on Lynch? As much as GB writers want to act like Lynch is the second coming, the jury is still out on the deal. Who cares if "the Seahawks" (whatever that means) are happy with Lynch? Teams don't spend picks on a guy and then badmouth or give up on him weeks later...well except for the Vikings. :D

Bretsky
11-06-2010, 10:40 PM

we had already lost grant. the bears were nowhere near as aggressive as the jets. no bye week. in chicago. your entire argument is bunk

How much did the Bears spend in Free agents as opposed to the Jets ?
That Packer team with or without Grant is still far more talented, as are the Jets now that the Packers are all hurt.

I can accept my argument is shit but then I'd have to point out yours is as well

Bretsky
11-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Thompson IMO is about a B+ in this point in my book

vince
11-07-2010, 01:15 AM
The Packers were a pre-season favorite for the Superbowl because TT has filled the roster with talented players. He was still able to add 3 players who started through the draft. Another player was a big contributer, Neal, before he got injured. 'Additionally, he added a FA, Shields, and a 7th rounder, who are providing substantial contributions. Has any GM in the NFL had that kind of success drafting this season? Maybe Detroit, or some of the other teams with poor teams last year, but those teams are so much easier to upgrade.

I am really disappointed in the author, Rob Demovsky, and I don't think I will be reading any more of his articles. I would easily give TT a solid 'A' and would say he has had a better off-season than any GM in the NFL.

If TT was let go tomorrow, I think he would have about 25 job offers before the end of the day. He is the best, and the Packers are damn lucky to have him.
Agree with this. You can nitpick every roster in the league, but I believe the reality is that the Packers have a Super Bowl caliber roster when it comes to talent and character. Some people will only grade what hindsight makes obvious, but I believe time will prove that there is no GM in the league doing a better job right now than Thompson. Put Finley and Grant on this team over the first half of the year - never mind all the guys on the defensive side of the ball that have been hurt - and you have what is head and shoulders the best team in the league. Better than the Pats, Jets, Giants, Falcons, Colts - all of them.

The coaching staff, led by McCarthy, deserves a lot of credit too for effectively developing the talent on the roster top to bottom. The jury is out - for McCarthy/Capers IMO (not Thompson) to determine whether he/they can complete the mission. The questions IMO reside with game strategy and decision-making, not team leadership or player development - and certainly not personnel evaluation/acquisition/retainment. While the questions are legitimate, I believe they can and will, get it done. I wouldn't bet this is the year necessarily because the Packers have been unlucky so far and you need a little luck too, but that belief has only been reinforced by what's transpired so far.

Patler
11-07-2010, 04:22 AM
I don't understand those grades of A-, they are really bewildering to me. There is more to a GM than drafting ability. I'll say that Ted might just be the best evaluator of college talent in the NFL, if not, you could not make a serious argument for less than top 5.

The rest of the job? He's pedestrian at best. His ability to evaluate coaching talent is mediocre. His ability to handle the media is below mediocre. He consistently undervalues the contributions that non rookie free agents and non Packer veterans can make to a squad. Today, I understand that he has decided he can build a talented veteran squad over a period of time, and that is still a work in progress. We won't know for another year or so. We'll see. He doesn't come close to sniffing an "A" of any type until this team wins a playoff game.

But today, I'll stand strong on a b-, and you might even argue well enough that I'd give a b. Nothing you could say will get me into A- territory. Put down the kool-aid, you've had enough.

FWIW, I don't think the "evaluation" by the Press Gazette was that unfair, and I understand it considering his relationship or lack thereof with any person who even thinks about wearing a media badge. Whether he likes it or not, it is a part of his job, and the single biggest area he needs to improve.

But the grade was for personnel (player) moves. Not coach hiring, not media relations, not public image. Personnel moves.

Why does a GM have to use FA, trades of high draft picks, etc.? Is there a rule that says he must? Why can't he focus on the draft and use the others sparingly? All that matters is if he puts together a good roster. If he never signs another high-price FA but wins a super bowl, is he still deficient as a GM because he doesn't use free agency?

It seems to me that if 2010 proves anything about TT so far it is that he has done a very good job with personnel.

Bigby, the starter is out, Burnett is there. Burnett goes down, Peprah steps in. Harris isn't ready, Williams replaces him and an UDFA steps in at nickel. Shields can't play and Lee/Bush who many would have given up on seem to get the job done.

Kampman leaves, Jones steps in. Jones goes down, Zombo (UDFA)/Poppinga play. Poppinga goes out for the season, guys we never heard of play. Barnett goes out, Bishop plays better than we expect.

Harrell is lost from the DL rotation, Neal steps in. Neal goes out, CJ Wilson plays. Pickett is out for games, Wynn and Green (who??) play surprisingly well.

Finley is lost and the old vet Lee is still around, plus we see a blocker in Crabtree (another free agent) who is probably the best blocker they have had since Bubba Franks, and a rookie in Quarles who shows flashes of receiving talent that are better than what we saw from Finley as a rookie. Now he doesn't have Finley's potential in all likelihood, but could become the second best receiving TE that the Packers have had for quite a while.

One of the "not replaceable" tackles is lost for half the games so far, Bulaga steps in, and the line just might be better for it.

Grant goes out, Jackson and Kuhn take over.

Now Driver is out and its time for Nelson and Jones to step up.

My point isn't that each instance has been handled perfectly, far from it. BUT, through all of those changes, half way through the season the team finds itself at 5-3, first in the NFC North and coming off a nice win over a Super Bowl favorite in the Jets. What more do you really want from your GM than to have built a roster that can weather a devastating list of injuries and still be winning?

Patler
11-07-2010, 04:47 AM
People complain that TT doesn't use "free agency". What they really are complaining about is that he doesn't spend big dollars on players they have heard of often enough to suit them.

TT uses free agency a lot, especially on defense, but he uses the less glamorous sides of free agency. The Packers currently list 23 players on their roster on defense. TT brought in 15 of them via different forms of FA, and one by a trade.

DL - Pickett, Green and now Wynn
LB - Zombo, Chillar, Wilhelm, Walden, Briggs, Francois
CB Williams, Woodson, Shields, Bush
Safety - Peprah, Bigby
Trade - Smith

At least four of the free agents will start (Woodson, Williams, Peprah, Zombo) and maybe a fifth in Pickett. Green, Chillar and Shields are likely the first off the bench at DL, LB and DB.

But we all know that TT ignores free agency!

Patler
11-07-2010, 05:01 AM
Thompson IMO is about a B+ in this point in my book

That's about what I would give him, too.

MJZiggy
11-07-2010, 06:51 AM
But the grade was for personnel (player) moves. Not coach hiring, not media relations, not public image. Personnel moves.

Why does a GM have to use FA, trades of high draft picks, etc.? Is there a rule that says he must? Why can't he focus on the draft and use the others sparingly? All that matters is if he puts together a good roster. If he never signs another high-price FA but wins a super bowl, is he still deficient as a GM because he doesn't use free agency?

It seems to me that if 2010 proves anything about TT so far it is that he has done a very good job with personnel.

Bigby, the starter is out, Burnett is there. Burnett goes down, Peprah steps in. Harris isn't ready, Williams replaces him and an UDFA steps in at nickel. Shields can't play and Lee/Bush who many would have given up on seem to get the job done.

Kampman leaves, Jones steps in. Jones goes down, Zombo (UDFA)/Poppinga play. Poppinga goes out for the season, guys we never heard of play. Barnett goes out, Bishop plays better than we expect.

Harrell is lost from the DL rotation, Neal steps in. Neal goes out, CJ Wilson plays. Pickett is out for games, Wynn and Green (who??) play surprisingly well.

Finley is lost and the old vet Lee is still around, plus we see a blocker in Crabtree (another free agent) who is probably the best blocker they have had since Bubba Franks, and a rookie in Quarles who shows flashes of receiving talent that are better than what we saw from Finley as a rookie. Now he doesn't have Finley's potential in all likelihood, but could become the second best receiving TE that the Packers have had for quite a while.

One of the "not replaceable" tackles is lost for half the games so far, Bulaga steps in, and the line just might be better for it.

Grant goes out, Jackson and Kuhn take over.

Now Driver is out and its time for Nelson and Jones to step up.

My point isn't that each instance has been handled perfectly, far from it. BUT, through all of those changes, half way through the season the team finds itself at 5-3, first in the NFC North and coming off a nice win over a Super Bowl favorite in the Jets. What more do you really want from your GM than to have built a roster that can weather a devastating list of injuries and still be winning?

Reading this post makes me dizzy. Seems I can take the giant roller coaster, but not the little merry-go-round near the entrance...

Pugger
11-07-2010, 07:06 AM
People complain that TT doesn't use "free agency". What they really are complaining about is that he doesn't spend big dollars on players they have heard of often enough to suit them.
TT uses free agency a lot, especially on defense, but he uses the less glamorous sides of free agency. The Packers currently list 23 players on their roster on defense. TT brought in 15 of them via different forms of FA, and one by a trade.

Safety - Peprah, Bigby
Trade - Smith

At least four of the free agents will start (Woodson, Williams, Peprah, Zombo) and maybe a fifth in Pickett. Green, Chillar and Shields are likely the first off the bench at DL, LB and DB.

+1 This is the thing that the TT detractors repeated say. If a FA is someone folks ever heard of how can he be any good?

ThunderDan
11-07-2010, 08:20 AM

Safety - Peprah, Bigby
Trade - Smith

+1 This is the thing that the TT detractors repeated say. If a FA is someone folks ever heard of how can he be any good?

The other issue to me is... now that all of the GMs have figured out how to use the salary cap no or very few blue chip players hit the FA market. There will be no more Reggie Whites available.

The guys that come available are 6-9 year vets that are on the backside of their careers. Sure they are good but if their original team didn't have an up and coming youngster that player wouldn't be hitting the street and available in the first place.

Scott Campbell
11-07-2010, 08:22 AM

:lol:

It's true.

sheepshead
11-07-2010, 08:26 AM
I'd give my comments on this stupid article, but that would mean it would go into the F*ck thread.

This is a joke of a review.

No shit. This Thompson bashing is beyond getting old. He's one of the best front office guys in football if not all of sports.

pbmax
11-07-2010, 08:46 AM

Don't hold back Bobble, tell us what you really think. :D

bobblehead
11-07-2010, 10:01 AM

Don't hold back Bobble, tell us what you really think. :D

i just had surgery on my elbow so one fingerr typing demands short to the point posts...and no caps

Patler
11-07-2010, 10:05 AM
i just had surgery on my elbow so one fingerr typing demands short to the point posts...and no caps

Hell, if you had told us we would have put you on Packerrats IR and signed a replacement "Bobblehead". :lol:

bobblehead
11-07-2010, 10:09 AM

How much did the Bears spend in Free agents as opposed to the Jets ?
That Packer team with or without Grant is still far more talented, as are the Jets now that the Packers are all hurt.

I can accept my argument is shit but then I'd have to point out yours is as well

i pointed out 4 reasons we should lose, paramount was health discrepancy. you made a half of a point and declared it an equal argument.....really???

my point is that tt is getting hammered for not being aggressive enough, yet we keep beating the teams doing it the way this article espouses as deserving of a high grade. and we beat the poster child with everything going against us...the jets went and got tomlinson, taylor, cromartie. they had everything going their way, yet they lost. tt is doing things the right way.

bobblehead
11-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Hell, if you had told us we would have put you on Packerrats IR and signed a replacement "Bobblehead". :lol:

im gutting thru it

Tony Oday
11-07-2010, 10:23 AM

im gutting thru it

we dont use free agency here!!!!

KYPack
11-07-2010, 10:30 AM
im gutting thru it

"gutting" or 'getting'?

Ya gotta play hurt, Bobble.

pbmax
11-07-2010, 10:32 AM
im gutting thru it

"gutting" or 'getting'?

Did he practice Thurs/Fri? Cause if not, no posting on the Game Day thread.

Patler
11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
im gutting thru it

"gutting" or 'getting'?

Does he make the active "45"?

Bossman641
11-07-2010, 11:34 AM
im gutting thru it

"gutting" or 'getting'?

Do we even have an "active" 45

Patler
11-07-2010, 11:37 AM
im gutting thru it

"gutting" or 'getting'?

More like 10-15??

mission
11-08-2010, 02:27 AM
Hilarious thread. Some of you guys make me wonder why you're even here.

Patler
11-08-2010, 02:40 AM

For me, its the pay.

mission
11-08-2010, 02:50 AM

For me, its the pay.

Salary or per-Patlerized commission? ;)

Patler
11-08-2010, 02:59 AM

For me, its the pay.

Salary or per-Patlerized commission? ;)

base salary plus commissions; same as you i expect?

pbmax
11-08-2010, 07:21 AM
im gutting thru it

"gutting" or 'getting'?

More like 10-15??
At one point early in the game, it was me, gary and steve I think all by our lonesome. You get worried that people don't want to hear you anymore when you have the last five posts in a row. :shock:

wootah
11-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm always learning new things on this forum. My knowledge of the game of football (and cooking) is pretty limited, so I don't feel the need to post very often. But know that your input is all well appreciated.

mraynrand
11-08-2010, 09:23 AM
im gutting thru it

"gutting" or 'getting'?

More like 10-15??
At one point early in the game, it was me, gary and steve I think all by our lonesome. You get worried that people don't want to hear you anymore when you have the last five posts in a row. :shock:

If bobble can't play special teams, I think we cut him and give him the opportunity to sign with another blog.

Patler
11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Sure, we laugh about it; but injuries relating to typing ability are serious matters for blogs, chat rooms, message boards and the like. These injuries have to be taken more seriously.

I propose that we all undergo an off-season exam of our typing ability to establish a baseline reference. Then, if an injury occurs during the season, we can be evaluated against that baseline performance to determine when we should be eligible to again type. Aggravating an existing typing injury, or repetitive typing injuries could have long-term effects on our ability to type later in life. It's just too risky.

mraynrand
11-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Sure, we laugh about it; but injuries relating to typing ability are serious matters for blogs, chat rooms, message boards and the like. These injuries have to be taken more seriously.

I propose that we all undergo an off-season exam of our typing ability to establish a baseline reference. Then, if an injury occurs during the season, we can be evaluated against that baseline performance to determine when we should be eligible to again type. Aggravating an existing typing injury, or repetitive typing injuries could have long-term effects on our ability to type later in life. It's just too risky.

I agree. I think my typing injuries are due to not enough lifting with free weights. I blame my training staff.

pbmax
11-08-2010, 09:50 AM

I agree. I think my typing injuries are due to not enough lifting with free weights. I blame my training staff.
My shoulder does have a twinge. Or is it a tinge of soreness?

Maybe a its a tweak.

Patler
11-08-2010, 09:52 AM

I blame all the teachers who slapped my hands with rulers in grade school. That, and not wearing gloves in the winter like my mother told me to.

sharpe1027
11-08-2010, 09:57 AM
I blame all the teachers who slapped my hands with rulers in grade school.

Using a ruler is fine, so long as they don't lead with the sharp edge. They need to start throwing flags immediately for that and giving out suspensions.

Cheesehead Craig
11-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Watch out for all that knuckle cracking too. All those old wives can't be wrong, can they?

retailguy
11-08-2010, 12:18 PM

I have carpal tunnel in my right arm. haven't posted much because of it.

I should sue. Maybe I can get an ergonomically correct setup for my laptop.

pbmax
11-08-2010, 12:39 PM

I have carpal tunnel in my right arm. haven't posted much because of it.

I should sue. Maybe I can get an ergonomically correct setup for my laptop.
Madtown's got loads of cash I bet from unloading this place...

:lol: