PDA

View Full Version : Why Defense is Playing so Well

Deputy Nutz
11-06-2010, 12:45 PM
I couldn't really think of a catchy name for this topic so, I cut right to the chase. The defense is playing better than could be expected with the injuries it has suffered simply because the defense has players that are interested only in winning, not playing time, not statistics, and not individual attention.
Replacing Nick Barnett with guys like AJ Hawk and Desmond Bishop is a key to why the Packers are stopping the run and limiting the passing game of their opponents. The key to these two stepping up is that they are assignment sure, and simply a better fit for this defense than two smaller linebackers in Chillar and Barnett. Barnett is useful when he can use his speed and bypass blockers to make tackles, but this style creates gaps in the defense that allows cutback lanes. Chillar and Barnett cannot defeat blocks, they cannot even clog gaps by stabilizing the block. Hawk and Bishop are bigger and stronger, and do a better job at stuffing the gap, and forcing the ball carrier back into the pursuit. In the 3-4 inside linebackers are at their best when they are making plays inside the box, not running sideline to sideline. Chillar is still useful in sub packages, lining up on the outside and either speed rushing, or covering the flat, or blitzing from the inside position.

Barnett could be useful next year, but not as a full time inside linebacker. He can get to the QB, but he simply does not have the skill set to be full time player in the middle of this defense. He is a risk taker without the dynamic skill set to gamble in the style that is most effective in this defense. Hawk may not have the athletic ability to run the field with a tight end, or runnign back, but he has the better skill set in a zone scheme where it is more important to cover an area, and have the opportunity to break up a pass, or make a secure tackle on 3rd down to stop a drive. Bishop has been a pleasant suprise in the pass game, sure he makes his mistakes, but he hasn't been a liability in coverage up to this point. Bishop is a play maker, but he does so within the system, which was something that he has been criticized for not doing so in the past.

Getting Al Harris back, is going to be key for the Packers later in the season when he has fresh legs, and his experience can be used to compete deeper in the playoffs. Unfortunately for Bigby the same can't be said, sure he provides depth to this secondary, but he certainly hasn't earned his spot over Peprah. He will add to special teams, where the Packers can pull guys like Nick Collins off of the punt team and kickoff.

To play under Dom Capers scheme players need to hold true to their responsibilities, and not free lance in the 3-4 scheme the relies so heavily on zone coverage.

pbmax
11-06-2010, 01:05 PM
I hear you Nutz. I am not a big believer that Game Day behavior has a big effect on performance, but the LB position is very interesting.

Losing Barnett and Chillar has hurt coverage, even if both Hawk and Bishop have gotten turnovers. It will be interesting to see if Witten can do anything with them, though Chillar will be out there on passing downs.

Bishop and Hawk both seem to be suited to supporting the run D more than pass D and I think that most of what I have seen on the field support that. But the numbers show the Run D has suffered, so comparisons are tricky since the Pack have been so shorthanded on D lineman and have played so much 2 lineman personnel. In a way, the fact that such an alignment hasn't cost the Packers dearly might be a tribute to Hawk and Bishop. But I also think Popp and Zombo have supported the run D as well as Jones did last year.

The one facet that really seems to have changed in 3rd down D. We seem to get a lot more stops in coverage, though I am not sure of the numbers. Many more players, even without Barnett, Chillar, Bigby or Harris have made plays on the ball. They are doing yeoman's work getting the O back on the field.

ThunderDan
11-06-2010, 01:15 PM
I hear you Nutz. I am not a big believer that Game Day behavior has a big effect on performance, but the LB position is very interesting.

Losing Barnett and Chillar has hurt coverage, even if both Hawk and Bishop have gotten turnovers. It will be interesting to see if Witten can do anything with them, though Chillar will be out there on passing downs.

Bishop and Hawk both seem to be suited to supporting the run D more than pass D and I think that most of what I have seen on the field support that. But the numbers show the Run D has suffered, so comparisons are tricky since the Pack have been so shorthanded on D lineman and have played so much 2 lineman personnel. In a way, the fact that such an alignment hasn't cost the Packers dearly might be a tribute to Hawk and Bishop. But I also think Popp and Zombo have supported the run D as well as Jones did last year.

The one facet that really seems to have changed in 3rd down D. We seem to get a lot more stops in coverage, though I am not sure of the numbers. Many more players, even without Barnett, Chillar, Bigby or Harris have made plays on the ball. They are doing yeoman's work getting the O back on the field.

Good analysis on the hurt DL. I remember Urlacher was playing lights out for a while and then Ted Washington got hurt on the DL. Now the G didn't have to double to help the C move Washington and the G or C were able to get their hats on Urlacher and his numbers dropped significantly.

It is amazing how good a LB can be that can get thru the line or down the line without being touched.

mraynrand
11-06-2010, 01:18 PM

I liked your post Nutz, and PB, you addressed the coverage issue that Nutz missed. Watching carefully, it seems as though the Secondary may have gotten a little better at passing off receivers in the zone - could it be that Peprah is actually the best of the safeties at doing this?. Still, I can't help but believe better QBs will find the holes in the secondary - especially without a consistent pass rush. Favre and Warner did that very well last year. I'm betting it will crop up again in the Metronome, against NE (Mankins is back), and maybe even the Giants. If the Packers show good coverage against those teams, the sky's the limit....