PDA

View Full Version : Does the Milwaukee Journal ever fact check?

Patler
11-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Does the Milwaukee Journal ever fact check?
Do their Packer beat writers even follow the team?

In this article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/106834678.html

Lori Nickel writes:

Still, Clay III has been able to start building his own legacy since Packers general manager Ted Thompson - a former teammate of Bruce's in Houston - drafted him in April 2009. It was the first time Thompson traded up in the draft to get a player he wanted.

Sounds good in the story. It makes Mathews "special" among TT draft picks. Unfortunately, it isn't a true statement, and a Packer beat writer should know that. TT traded up to get Mathews in 2009. In the previous draft, 2008, TT traded up to get Jeremy Thompson.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good storyline!

MJZiggy
11-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Patler, you've been reading JS for long enough to know that fact checking is sort of a hobby that they engage in when the mood strikes them, not as a regular course of action as if it were part of their jobs or something...

bobblehead
11-07-2010, 10:21 AM

In this article:

Lori Nickel writes:

Still, Clay III has been able to start building his own legacy since Packers general manager Ted Thompson - a former teammate of Bruce's in Houston - drafted him in April 2009. It was the first time Thompson traded up in the draft to get a player he wanted.

Sounds good in the story. It makes Mathews "special" among TT draft picks. Unfortunately, it isn't a true statement, and a Packer beat writer should know that. TT traded up to get Mathews in 2009. In the previous draft, 2008, TT traded up to get Jeremy Thompson.

i just read that article....either they changed it or you thought you read something and recreated it wrong. the articlke clearly says traded up to the first round at present

digitaldean
11-07-2010, 10:27 AM
There's a reason why the JS is losing readership.

The lack of fact checking and curbing their biases are evident in MOST of their reporting.

pbmax
11-07-2010, 10:30 AM

In this article:

Lori Nickel writes:

Well, well Patler, sure that's the reading of a T2 apologist.

What Nickel was revealing for all trusthseekers, is that Thompson didn't really WANT Jeremy Thompson, but he traded up just to get the pesky reporters, Packers admin and public off his back.

So it doesn't count if you are really paying attention.

Patler
11-07-2010, 10:35 AM

In this article:

Lori Nickel writes:

i just read that article....either they changed it or you thought you read something and recreated it wrong. the articlke clearly says traded up to the first round at present

They changed it.
If you go to the comments section, someone noted the error.
(About 15 minutes after I started this thread. Coincidence, or do we really HAVE a following here? :lol: )

At any rate. Lori Nickel herself replied stating that she meant to say "in the first round"

Lori Nickel | JS Staff - Nov 07, 2010 7:10 AM
jskudella - yes, that's right and I apologize. I really meant to say it was the first time Thompson traded up in the FIRST round of draft to get a player, Clay III. Will get it fixed. Sorry to all for that omission.

Scott Campbell
11-07-2010, 10:38 AM
At any rate. Lori Nickel herself replied stating that she meant to say "in the first round"

Professional journalists often have a difficult time conveying what they really mean to say. :roll:

Patler
11-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Well, well Patler, sure that's the reading of a T2 apologist.

What Nickel was revealing for all trusthseekers, is that Thompson didn't really WANT Jeremy Thompson, but he traded up just to get the pesky reporters, Packers admin and public off his back.

So it doesn't count if you are really paying attention.

:lol: :lol: I saw that too, and almost pointed it out as an example of poor writing. As if anyone would trade up except for someone they wanted?
BUT, I would have been wrong! As you astutely pointed out, he clearly could have had other motives for trading up to get Thompson!

CaliforniaCheez
11-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I have been embarrassed getting into a message board discussion and citing the Milwaukee paper as a source when the MJS.

Then again you have to remember that Lori Nickel wrote the "story" which is just recycled stuff.

Bretsky
11-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Lori Nickels adding absolutely zilch; I can babble content impromptu better then she can write.

Let me be the first to start the Campaign

Bring Jen Sterger to JS

Same initials

JenSterrrrrrrr

MJZiggy
11-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Lori Nickels adding absolutely zilch; I can babble content impromptu better then she can write.

Bring Jen Sterger to JS

Same initials

JenSterrrrrrrr

You do realize they don't put pictures of the author with the story. It would drive you nuts knowing that she wrote the story and you see a linebacker's picture instead...Besides, who said she can write at all.

Bretsky
11-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Bring Jen Sterger to JS

Same initials

JenSterrrrrrrr

You do realize they don't put pictures of the author with the story. It would drive you nuts knowing that she wrote the story and you see a linebacker's picture instead...Besides, who said she can write at all.

not too hard to find pix zig; the tech guru's at PR would do fine posting them. Nichols can't write....who cares if she can ?