PDA

View Full Version : Matthews play on 3rd and 1

Packgator
11-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Seldom does one play deserve its own thread but......

That play by Matthews on 3rd and 1 was insane. That could be the best 3rd and 1 stop I've ever seen. WOW!!

Scott Campbell
11-07-2010, 11:13 PM

That play by Matthews on 3rd and 1 was insane. That could be the best 3rd and 1 stop I've ever seen. WOW!!

And if Mathews hadn't gotten him Raji was right there to nail him for a loss too.

steve823
11-07-2010, 11:16 PM

And if Mathews hadn't gotten him Green was right there to nail him for a loss too.

gbgary
11-07-2010, 11:17 PM
by the time whitten stood up matthews was by him. what a burst. whitten is less than average now so that didn't hurt.

OS PA
11-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Just like last years Cowboys game vaulted Woodson to the DMVP. This game cemented it for Clay.

gbgary
11-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Just like last years Cowboys game vaulted Woodson to the DMVP. This game cemented it for Clay.

seven games to go. he would have to totally disappear to not get it.

channtheman
11-08-2010, 12:13 AM

And if Mathews hadn't gotten him Green was right there to nail him for a loss too.

No it was Raji.

Also, Clay is a QUICK when it comes to getting off the line. There were a couple of times he had it timed so perfectly he almost looked offsides. So impressive, and so glad TT traded up to get him.

Old School
11-08-2010, 06:34 AM
It seems to me Mathews beats on the opposing lineman's arms rather than pushing or grabbing. I wonder if as the game goes on the guy across from him is in such a world of hurt, he either can't or doesn't even want to stick his arms out there. Also Clay seems to be playing faster than everyone else.

pbmax
11-08-2010, 07:19 AM

No it was Raji.

Also, Clay is a QUICK when it comes to getting off the line. There were a couple of times he had it timed so perfectly he almost looked offsides. So impressive, and so glad TT traded up to get him.
At some point Raji has to ask him "Leave some for the rest of us." He was as quick as a D lineman can be splitting that double-team, but there was just running back pieces left.

Kiwon
11-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Simply an awesome play.

Pugger
11-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Last night the replay shown was the int that flew into his hands but I agree, this BIG stop on 3rd and 1 was his most impressive play of the night. :D

hoosier
11-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I hate to be a wet blanket but it really looked to me like that play was as much Witten's fault as it was a testament to Matthews's quickness. He looked slow getting out of his stance and then inexplicably turned to the right while Matthews was blowing his doors off to the left. Does anyone have a link to a replay?

Packgator
11-08-2010, 09:47 AM
I hate to be a wet blanket but it really looked to me like that play was as much Witten's fault as it was a testament to Matthews's quickness. He looked slow getting out of his stance and then inexplicably turned to the right while Matthews was blowing his doors off to the left. Does anyone have a link to a replay?

It wasn't just getting there. It was what happened when he did. Barber went backwards and down in a flash. During the replay Collinsworth's reaction was...... "good lord"!!

hoosier
11-08-2010, 10:39 AM

It wasn't just getting there. It was what happened when he did. Barber went backwards and down in a flash. During the replay Collinsworth's reaction was...... "good lord"!!

Yes, Matthews went through Barber, but that will happen when any 3-4 OLB comes unblocked and gets a direct hit on a RB.

I thought the "good lord" comment was directed at Dallas and their lack of effort. Didn't he also say in the same breath that the apathy now seemed to be affecting even their star players?

mraynrand
11-08-2010, 11:42 AM

Yes, Matthews went through Barber, but that will happen when any 3-4 OLB comes unblocked and gets a direct hit on a RB.

I thought the "good lord" comment was directed at Dallas and their lack of effort. Didn't he also say in the same breath that the apathy now seemed to be affecting even their star players?
Last night Dallas moved from 'Bargaining' to 'Depression.' Acceptance will soon follow.

swede
11-08-2010, 12:14 PM
It seems to me Mathews beats on the opposing lineman's arms rather than pushing or grabbing. I wonder if as the game goes on the guy across from him is in such a world of hurt, he either can't or doesn't even want to stick his arms out there. Also Clay seems to be playing faster than everyone else.

Did you see the pre-game television coverage from earlier in the season that showed Clay working out with an MMA coach? During the offseason he learned to use martial arts techniques to attack the arms and hands of opposing linemen.

What a beast.

denverYooper
11-08-2010, 03:41 PM

Raji was in almost as quickly. He parted a double team like he was busting through old saloon-style double doors and was only a split second after Clay.

Look at these 2009 GB first round draft picks at work!

http://i51.tinypic.com/2rpxso9.gif

Guiness
11-08-2010, 03:51 PM
thanks for the vid DY.

I know Barber's dropped off this season, but he's still a load to be knocked back like that.

And further props to Raji, who shrugged through that double team like it wasn't there, and likely would've had Barber for lunch anyways!

edit: is that Pickett or Jenkins (number 7x) getting put on his can in the backround? I think it's Pickett.

Brandon494
11-08-2010, 04:14 PM
thanks for the vid DY.

I know Barber's dropped off this season, but he's still a load to be knocked back like that.

And further props to Raji, who shrugged through that double team like it wasn't there, and likely would've had Barber for lunch anyways!

edit: is that Pickett or Jenkins (number 7x) getting put on his can in the backround? I think it's Pickett.

If you look closely right when Barber gets the ball Raji is right in his face and tries to juke out of the way. Little did Barber know Claymaker was right in the area he was trying to juke too. Pretty much Barber didn't have his feet under him but still looked badass seeing Clay knock him back.

hoosier
11-08-2010, 07:07 PM
That's a funny clip. I would have liked to see the expression on Raji's face when he blew through that double team so quickly only to discover that somebody else had beaten him to the RB. And, yeah, Witten was absolutely clueless out there.

Deputy Nutz
11-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Witten should be flogged for that kind of effort. Clay Mathews is a heck of a player, and he does get off the ball extremely quick, but Witten has no excuse for standing straight up and giving just a terrible effort.

Witten and Micheal Jenkins should be fined for their lack of effort in last night's game. Quitters

vince
11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Here's the snap on the interception for TD. Yeah, I'd say Clay gets off the ball quickly.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/190467175.png

pbmax
11-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Witten should be flogged for that kind of effort. Clay Mathews is a heck of a player, and he does get off the ball extremely quick, but Witten has no excuse for standing straight up and giving just a terrible effort.

Witten and Micheal Jenkins should be fined for their lack of effort in last night's game. Quitters
Wasn't Jenkins the player with the rib injury that required an injection?

Doesn't excuse it, but it would explain mailing it in on that play.

That might be the difference between a players coach and a disciplinarian. If you can't practice, or hit and tackle, should you be in the game even of your other skills are extraordinary?

Although with the injuries they have back there, a replacement might have been hard to find.

Bossman641
11-09-2010, 04:11 PM

That might be the difference between a players coach and a disciplinarian. If you can't practice, or hit and tackle, should you be in the game even of your other skills are extraordinary?

Although with the injuries they have back there, a replacement might have been hard to find.

Replacements hard to find? Tell that to Charlie Peprah, Howard Green, and the rest of the Packers' replacements.

steve823
11-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Oops. My apologies for Raji to mistake him for Green who is 500 lbs of lard, I mean Raji at least has muscle :lol:

pbmax
11-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Replacements hard to find? Tell that to Charlie Peprah, Howard Green, and the rest of the Packers' replacements.
Just because the Packers have found them doesn't mean everyone has that depth at each position. CB is a different beast than safety. Though Green was a nice find. You don't often find decent depth at DT midseason.

hoosier
11-09-2010, 07:05 PM

Oops. My apologies for Raji to mistake him for Green who is 500 lbs of lard, I mean Raji at least has muscle :lol:

No, it was Raji.

The Leaper
11-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Barber never even saw Clay on that play. He was shielded from seeing Clay by Kitna...he was looking at Raji busting through and got happy feet, then Clay just unloaded on him.

It was great recognition by Clay...it wasn't so much about sheer quickness athletically, but how quickly Clay read the blocking and immediately took a run at where he figured the RB was going to be. The fact the TE decided to not block the best defensive player in the league on a 3rd-and-1 certainly helped.

Tarlam!
11-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Barber never even saw Clay on that play. He was shielded from seeing Clay by Kitna...he was looking at Raji busting through and got happy feet, then Clay just unloaded on him.

It was great recognition by Clay...it wasn't so much about sheer quickness athletically, but how quickly Clay read the blocking and immediately took a run at where he figured the RB was going to be. The fact the TE decided to not block the best defensive player in the league on a 3rd-and-1 certainly helped.

Great post. I watched the clip kindly posted by DenYoop a trillion times and I think Leap describes the play well. Yet I do wanna note Clay was so fast crossing the line diagonally i.e. he had 5 more yards to cover than Raji, that any TE would have been totally stunned. So my belief is it was a combination of quick read and quick reaction. Whatever happened, I think we all agree, it was quick!

But Nutz and Leaper are right, the Dallas line are culpable of attempted murder.

swede
11-10-2010, 07:50 AM

Great post. I watched the clip kindly posted by DenYoop a trillion times and I think Leap describes the play well. Yet I do wanna note Clay was so fast crossing the line diagonally i.e. he had 5 more yards to cover than Raji, that any TE would have been totally stunned. So my belief is it was a combination of quick read and quick reaction. Whatever happened, I think we all agree, it was quick!

But Nutz and Leaper are right, the Dallas line are culpable of attempted murder.

I had wondered how Barber--a notorious NFL beast---could have been demolished by Matthews, driven back, and planted on his nether regions when the advantage should have gone to the running back in terms of moving forward after contact.

I think Leaper nailed it: After seeing Raji, Barber shifted his body weight to stop and find another hole, making him the Titlest II, Matthews the "Big Bertha", and the Dallas backfield the sweet spot.

Little Whiskey
11-10-2010, 08:44 AM
thanks for the pic, Vince. wow Clay was quick off the ball. look at the WR at the bottom of the screen. when did the cowboys aquire randy Moss? someone's taking the play off!

Brandon494
11-10-2010, 03:58 PM

I had wondered how Barber--a notorious NFL beast---could have been demolished by Matthews, driven back, and planted on his nether regions when the advantage should have gone to the running back in terms of moving forward after contact.

I think Leaper nailed it: After seeing Raji, Barber shifted his body weight to stop and find another hole, making him the Titlest II, Matthews the "Big Bertha", and the Dallas backfield the sweet spot.

yea I said this two days ago on the first page. 8-)

swede
11-10-2010, 04:13 PM

Yes, you did. I checked this claim for veracity and you did.

You didn't make use of an ellipsis, but I grant you full marks anyway.

The thing about this play is Witten's lazy whiff and Barber's adjustment because of Raji are not obvious, but the swift move and crushing hit by Matthews are gaudy and memorable.

I will still remember this play forty years from now and babble to the nurse about it as he changes my Depends.

mraynrand
11-10-2010, 04:21 PM

yeah, It's Pickett - and I think that's the play he re-injures his ankle...

Noodle
11-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Not sure why you'd dog Pickett on that play -- Dallas executed a pretty good double team on him.

His bad luck to have the only Dallas linemen who seemed to give a crap and want to block double up on him.

Bum ankle couldn't have helped much either.

steve823
11-10-2010, 09:37 PM

No, it was Raji.

Ya I know. I don't think Green could get penetration like that.

mission
11-10-2010, 09:40 PM

No, it was Raji.

Probably not usually, but he did get 4-5 yards deep and almost tackled the RB on a botched reverse attempt against the Jets. I swore that was Raji when I first saw it... couldn't believe Green could get back there so quick.

I guess they say he's actually more of a finesse type of guy, if that's possible to say about a 365 lb guy. Not as tough as the weight would suggest and can get pushed around at times.

mraynrand
11-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Not sure why you'd dog Pickett on that play -- Dallas executed a pretty good double team on him.

His bad luck to have the only Dallas linemen who seemed to give a crap and want to block double up on him.

Bum ankle couldn't have helped much either.

If you're talking to me, you've got the wrong guy. I thought it was too bad the Packers didn't leave Pickett inactive to give him three weeks of rest for that ankle. Even though he gave great effort and made a couple of plays, you could see he wasn't 100%

hoosier
11-11-2010, 08:09 AM

No, it was Raji.

Probably not usually, but he did get 4-5 yards deep and almost tackled the RB on a botched reverse attempt against the Jets. I swore that was Raji when I first saw it... couldn't believe Green could get back there so quick.

I guess they say he's actually more of a finesse type of guy, if that's possible to say about a 365 lb guy. Not as tough as the weight would suggest and can get pushed around at times.

Is he a finesse player or does he simply possess the quickness of a brontosaurus? :lol:

mraynrand
11-11-2010, 08:13 AM

Yes, you did. I checked this claim for veracity and you did.

You didn't make use of an ellipsis, but I grant you full marks anyway.

The thing about this play is Witten's lazy whiff and Barber's adjustment because of Raji are not obvious, but the swift move and crushing hit by Matthews are gaudy and memorable.

I will still remember this play forty years from now and babble to the nurse about it as he changes my Depends.

In 40 years they will have a mechanical bladder...and probably a mechanical nurse for that matter...like Tony Starks' computer in Iron Man. No need for Depends...

Noodle
11-11-2010, 09:33 AM
If you're talking to me, you've got the wrong guy.

No, my bad for using "you" right after your post. I was responding to PBMax's observation. I was with you on wishing Pickett could have had the night off.

Let's hope the big fella gets all welled up this week.