PDA

View Full Version : Packers releasing Al Harris

DannoMac21
11-08-2010, 01:07 AM
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=4714&section_id=40&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

GREEN BAY – Al Harris’ career with the Green Bay Packers is about to come to an end.

The team plans on releasing the two-time Pro Bowl cornerback on Monday, the deadline for deciding his fate after three weeks of practicing with the team.

“Yes, that is what they are going to do,” Harris said in a text message late Sunday night. “I lost my job to injury, but I have only good things to say about Green Bay and everyone I worked with.”

:(

Shame. What a fine corner he was in his day. Thank you for everything you gave here Al!

curtis loew
11-08-2010, 01:16 AM
why wouldn't we at least IR him and see if he can progress and get stronger?

jmbarnes101
11-08-2010, 01:34 AM
What and why? He's got to be better than Underwood or Anthony Smith. At least IR him or something. Too good and classy to go out this way and really puts a damper on what was a great night.

Patler
11-08-2010, 02:21 AM
My guess is that the Packers do not think he can play with his knee, he thinks he can, so they are releasing him to give him the opportunity of trying to catch on with someone else.

I expect the Vikings to make an offer. They have with just about any packer of significance that has been available.

3irty1
11-08-2010, 05:07 AM
The Vikings would make sense. They could pick his brain before playing us and get a sure tackling corner to help them play cover-2.

The Ravens, Browns, or Jets are all perhaps better fits. Too bad.

Freak Out
11-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Sad day in Packerland.

vince
11-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Packer Hall of Famer no doubt and legend in my eyes. Al Harris was an elite corner during his tenure here. So good teams didn't even throw his way for a few years there. The way he worked to get back on the field was incredible. His attitude - incredible.

His unique talents were somewhat neutralized by Capers' D, which makes him expendable. The play of Shields means he can't get back on the field, and he's just not a special teamer.

Good luck Al Harris. I hope you catch on with a winner. You deserve it.

Joemailman
11-08-2010, 05:57 AM
This is a tough business sometimes. Hopefully, Woodson, Williams and Shields stay healthy, or the second guessing will reach epic proportions.

One of the great Packers is no more.

Little Whiskey
11-08-2010, 06:06 AM
I can't believe the news. I really thought he would retire a packer. You would think they would have a roster spot somewhere. :(

Tarlam!
11-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Sad day in Packerland.

Yup. You absolutely nail led it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thank you, #31. You were a joy to watch. Thank you.

Scott Campbell
11-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Great Packer. Al did everything the right way, and I even liked the way he want about complaining. He's one of my all time favorite players and I'm going to really miss him.

packrulz
11-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Jason Wilde
Nov 8, 2010 12:19am
End of the line: Harris says he'll be released
By JASON WILDE
jwilde@espnwisconsin.com

GREEN BAY – Al Harris’ career with the Green Bay Packers is about to come to an end.

The team plans on releasing the two-time Pro Bowl cornerback on Monday, the deadline for deciding his fate after three weeks of practicing with the team.

“Yes, that is what they are going to do,” Harris said in a text message late Sunday night. “I lost my job to injury, but I have only good things to say about Green Bay and everyone I worked with.”

Harris, who began practicing on Oct. 19, was not activated from the physically unable to perform list for the third straight eligible week, as the Packers beat the Dallas Cowboys, 45-7, without him on Sunday night.

Harris, who’ll turn 36 on Dec. 7, tore the anterior cruciate ligament, the lateral collateral ligament, the IT band, the fibular collateral ligament and the lateral hamstring in his left knee and leg last Nov. 22 and underwent reconstructive surgery by team physician Pat McKenzie eight days later.

He endured a rigorous rehabilitation but missed all of training camp and was placed on the PUP to start the season.

Without him, replacement starter Tramon Williams has played at a Pro Bowl level, and undrafted rookie free agent Sam Shields has played well as the No. 3 cornerback in the nickel defense, including making his first NFL interception Sunday night.

The uncertainty of Harris’ future with the team was an uncomfortable subject in the Packers’ locker room after the game.

When asked about Harris’ status, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said only that “We'll evaluate that tomorrow. We'll go through the film, evaluate our rosters, see these two injuries, see what happens there. We haven't made a decision on Al yet.”

Safety Atari Bigby, one of Harris’ closest friends on the team who was activated from the PUP list and did play against the Cowboys, said Harris has been frustrated by not being cleared to play.

“I spoke to Al (Friday). It’s killing him,” Bigby said. “He’s very frustrated. Naturally anybody would be. He’s been practicing, and of course he wants to play. It’s a frustrating situation for him.

“I think he can definitely be a big asset to our team. But I’m not the one who makes the decisions.”

Asked if he thought the team might cut Harris, cornerback Charles Woodson replied, “I’m not going to touch that. I can’t say anything about that. Because I don’t know. I’m going to leave that alone. Honestly.”

Defensive coordinator Dom Capers also wouldn’t say if the team was considering releasing Harris.

“I certainly can’t comment on that. I’m not the head coach. Those are head-coaching decisions,” Capers said. “Obviously we didn’t activate him tonight. Those decisions are certainly going to be Mike’s decision. We’ll meet on Monday and decide what direction we go.”

Harris joined the Packers in a March 2003 trade from the Philadelphia Eagles and has played in 102 regular-season and five postseason games for the team, registering 15 interceptions, including the 52-yard interception that he returned for a touchdown in overtime to beat the Seattle Seahawks in the 2003 NFC Wild Card playoffs at Lambeau Field.

Last week, he said that whenever his time with the Packers came to an end, he had enjoyed his time in Green Bay.

“It’s been an awesome, awesome ride. Will I play again? Yes. I just have to wait it out, see how it goes,” he said. “I don’t know how it’s going to go. We’ll just wait and see.”

Listen to Jason Wilde every weekday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. on “Green & Gold Today,” and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonjwilde.

pittstang5
11-08-2010, 06:50 AM
This move comes out of the blue to me. It’s a move as fans, we hate. Al Harris is one player that I have enjoyed watching and always knew you could count on. Was he perfect? No, nobody is, but he gave 110% on every play.

In his tenure here, one thing we all know is Ted likes to fill holes with youth. We also know that Ted can and will solidify certain areas with proven veterans, especially our own – (See Clifton and Tauscher). Knowing this, my only sensible reason that I can think of as to why Harris is being let go is that the knee must not be as good as what we were being told. That and maybe the Packer’s brass thinks the youth on the roster is enough to keep going. Personally, I’d rather see ole # 31 on the field then Shields, Underwood or Lee. But, that’s why I’m a fan and not a GM.

Good luck to you Al if this is for real.

red
11-08-2010, 07:11 AM
WTF?????

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

pbmax
11-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Wow. I thought Bigby was in more trouble. I wonder if they feel more he has been replaced OR he has declined/not recovered enough due to injury. You would have thought even old as he is, healthy he could beat out Underwood or Lee (who is injured himself).

JSO speculates he'll clear waivers (and that the Pack won't IR him) because of the $2 million salary.

Kiwon
11-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Al Harris had a great run as a Packer.

If you recall the press at the time of his acquisition, Al Harris was characterized as a somewhat older, slow-footed, capable backup as an Eagle and not exactly prime starter material.

Wow, did he prove everyone wrong. Great work ethic, great effort, great example for everyone else on the team.

After he hangs 'em up I hope the Packers will bring him back in some sort of coaching capacity.

RashanGary
11-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the hard work and great play Al. I'd vote you Packer HOF if it were my choice.

Brandon494
11-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Sad to see Harris go but it's the right move. If anyone is to blame it should be Shields with his unexpected play this season but I guess I can let him slide.

Bossman641
11-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Really sad to hear...and strange. All the pieces/comments about Harris make it seem like he is all the way back. As well as Shields has played, you would think there would still be a place for Harris on the team. I'm beginning to think Harris is not as healthy as we have been led to believe.

Best of luck Al!!

SkinBasket
11-08-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm beginning to think Harris is not as healthy as we have been led to believe.

Really, that's the only reason the could have released him. I always thought we would put him out to pasture at safety or nickle back before his days were done, but I suppose a quick end is more fitting.

Pugger
11-08-2010, 07:56 AM
It is too bad but you had to wonder about his future in GB when Bigby was activated and Harris was not. I hope he latches onto another team - except the queens.

mmmdk
11-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks to Al Harris; Al is a future Packers HOF'er.

I would loathe to see him clad in all purple but I expect it - yuck!

AtlPackFan
11-08-2010, 08:14 AM
From jso article:

"Harris essentially was in a three-week tryout, but was not deemed good enough to warrant playing time by the Packers. It wouldn't make sense for Green Bay to put him on injured reserve and have to pay his salary. His best bet is to try to hook on with another team. No one will pick him up on waivers because his $2 million-plus salary is too high. More than likely, he will have to hook on with another team at a near minimum salary."

If no one is going to touch him at his salary and he will have to sign with someone at near minimum, why not Green Bay. I can't believe there isn't someone on the roster that is doing little more than taking up space that couldn't be released to make room for Al. :(

3irty1
11-08-2010, 08:24 AM
From jso article:

"Harris essentially was in a three-week tryout, but was not deemed good enough to warrant playing time by the Packers. It wouldn't make sense for Green Bay to put him on injured reserve and have to pay his salary. His best bet is to try to hook on with another team. No one will pick him up on waivers because his $2 million-plus salary is too high. More than likely, he will have to hook on with another team at a near minimum salary."

If no one is going to touch him at his salary and he will have to sign with someone at near minimum, why not Green Bay. I can't believe there isn't someone on the roster that is doing little more than taking up space that couldn't be released to make room for Al. :(

That would piss me off actually. To take advantage of his injury in that way is pretty greedy and underhanded. 2 M isn't that much, I'd be surprised if someone doesn't pick him up after kicking the tires.

mraynrand
11-08-2010, 08:28 AM
From jso article:

That would piss me off actually. To take advantage of his injury in that way is pretty greedy and underhanded. 2 M isn't that much, I'd be surprised if someone doesn't pick him up after kicking the tires.

This seems like a penny-wise pound foolish kindof move, but it would leave Harris on the roster - if that's what the Packers really want.

Kicking Al to the curb (That is, not having him on the roster or on IR) could backfire for the Packers, since the players all know what the guy went through to get back to playing shape. Yeah, it's a business, and if he can't contribute, then you have to let him go, but sometimes a guy is more valuable for all those intangibles. Packers need to be really careful about this before tossing Al away like a used popsicle stick.

packerbacker1234
11-08-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm beginning to think Harris is not as healthy as we have been led to believe.

Really, that's the only reason the could have released him. I always thought we would put him out to pasture at safety or nickle back before his days were done, but I suppose a quick end is more fitting.

Honestly, I am not sure his health is a reason. Lets be honest with our roster.

Williams isn't losing his starting job. Harris wouldn't of had an opportunity to even win that back, and you never put woodson on the sideline.

So, in our base package, harris is irrelevant. Now Nickle is where many of us felt he could matter, but then we nee dot be honest and look at the progression of Sam Shields. Harris is still most likely better than Shields, but Shields can't continue to grow as a player, and a future starter for us (in the same way williams grew under harris) if he gets knocked down the depth chart. FOr the future of this team, Shields has to stay nickle.

What about 4th cb?

I highly doubt Al Harris is going to think that role is remotely acceptable. Harris appears to want a shot to earn his role back. It's a reasonable request, but it's not something the packers want to consider, so it may be best to cut ties so he has a chance to become a starter again for another team. There are a lot of teams out there he can catch on with - and I do think the vikings make good sense. they always grab our former players who still have somet5hing left, something to prove,a nd al's age wont matter. They need to win now, and some of those younger cb's they have are making too many coverage mistakes.

Anyways, Al deserves to be in the packers hall of fame, and while I would of loved to see him get a chance to earn it back, I can't blame the orginizaiton for wanting to go ina different direction.

Cheesehead Craig
11-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Really sad to hear...and strange. All the pieces/comments about Harris make it seem like he is all the way back. As well as Shields has played, you would think there would still be a place for Harris on the team. I'm beginning to think Harris is not as healthy as we have been led to believe.

Best of luck Al!!
The only one that's been touting how far along Harris is Harris. It appears the coaches know something we don't about him.

Fosco33
11-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Well - who knows what conversations have been occuring in the background. We only know the following:
1. Harris is aging and had a possible career-ending injury
2. $2M salary
3. Packers have some young CBs with upside

We don't know:
1. Did Al really want to be a role player (nickle/dime)?
2. How healthy was the knee?

Good luck to Al. Absolute class act and Packer HOF. Coming back from the spleen injury and know the the knee - he's just a medical miracle.

retailguy
11-08-2010, 08:57 AM
This team is beat up like no other team in the league. Pat Lee has been rumored to be headed for IR.

Yet in spite of all the adversity they are making a playoff push.

If Harris is truly ready to play, and we just don't have a spot for him, $2m to carry him through the playoffs is chicken feed.

I can see the situation where Harris winds up on another squad and we have another injury, then what?

I just don't understand.

ThunderDan
11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
This move doesn't make sense to me. I'll wait until it becomes offical. Seems like with Pat Lee's situation you could wait a week or two with Harris active especially with a bye week.

mraynrand
11-08-2010, 09:13 AM
I just don't understand.

What about 4th cb? I highly doubt Al Harris is going to think that role is remotely acceptable.

Patler
11-08-2010, 09:16 AM
This team is beat up like no other team in the league. Pat Lee has been rumored to be headed for IR.

If Harris is truly ready to play, and we just don't have a spot for him, $2m to carry him through the playoffs is chicken feed.

I can see the situation where Harris winds up on another squad and we have another injury, then what?

I just don't understand.

If you carry him on the roster like McDonald is being carried as an extra O-lineman, would he be happy not being active game after game? If you carry him in place of Lee or Underwood and make him active for games, he would have to play STs.

Neither sounds like a good alternative for Harris. Other than with Favre, TT has always tried to give respected vets a chance to try to extend their careers elsewhere when he has no place for them on his roster. Releasing Harris gives him that chance. IR would not.

As a side issue that might be telling of their thinking, wasn't there some concern last year before his injury that Harris was not completely playing like Harris? Questions that the end might be getting near?

packrulz
11-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Well - who knows what conversations have been occuring in the background. We only know the following:
1. Harris is aging and had a possible career-ending injury
2. $2M salary
3. Packers have some young CBs with upside

We don't know:
1. Did Al really want to be a role player (nickle/dime)?
2. How healthy was the knee?

Good luck to Al. Absolute class act and Packer HOF. Coming back from the spleen injury and know the the knee - he's just a medical miracle.

Al never was that fast, with the injury he might be even slower now. He's handling this with class, speaking highly of the Packers, I really think some team will claim him.

Packgator
11-08-2010, 09:30 AM
TT has always tried to give respected vets a chance to try to extend their careers elsewhere when he has no place for them on his roster. Releasing Harris gives him that chance. IR would not.

They may have given Al that choice.

mraynrand
11-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Worse case scenario: In two weeks Rice burns Shields for a TD or two and Harris gets a pick 6 off Rodgers to seal the game in the Metronome. I think I will have nightmares about this...

PA Pack Fan
11-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Oh, brother! <facepalm> I can't believe all the belly aching about losing Al Harris. He was the #2 choker and the reason we lost all the playoff games we did, right behind #1 choker Brett Favre.

Do you guys not remember him getting lit up by countless recievers in critical games?? wtf?

Plaxico Burress in 2007 should be enough for this to be a non issue. I'd take anyone, and I mean anyone over Al the overrated cb Harris. Good riddance and thanks for all the blown coverages.

bobblehead
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
This move comes out of the blue to me. It’s a move as fans, we hate. Al Harris is one player that I have enjoyed watching and always knew you could count on. Was he perfect? No, nobody is, but he gave 110% on every play.

In his tenure here, one thing we all know is Ted likes to fill holes with youth. We also know that Ted can and will solidify certain areas with proven veterans, especially our own – (See Clifton and Tauscher). Knowing this, my only sensible reason that I can think of as to why Harris is being let go is that the knee must not be as good as what we were being told. That and maybe the Packer’s brass thinks the youth on the roster is enough to keep going. Personally, I’d rather see ole # 31 on the field then Shields, Underwood or Lee. But, that’s why I’m a fan and not a GM.

Good luck to you Al if this is for real.

+1 wish ihad two hands to type with, but you said it well. tt is payed to make hard unpopular decisions and is usually right. i feel like i just put down old yeller....its a sad day. i hope he coaches for us down the road as class is always a welcome attribute.

Brandon494
11-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Also have to remember ALs bump and run style of play isn't best suited for Capers scheme.

bobblehead
11-08-2010, 10:11 AM

I just don't understand.

If you carry him on the roster like McDonald is being carried as an extra O-lineman, would he be happy not being active game after game? If you carry him in place of Lee or Underwood and make him active for games, he would have to play STs.

Neither sounds like a good alternative for Harris. Other than with Favre, TT has always tried to give respected vets a chance to try to extend their careers elsewhere when he has no place for them on his roster. Releasing Harris gives him that chance. IR would not.

As a side issue that might be telling of their thinking, wasn't there some concern last year before his injury that Harris was not completely playing like Harris? Questions that the end might be getting near?

its not the money, its one of two things. tt is convinced al has nothing left, or al does not want to be an emergency 4th or 5th cb option. we don't know which, but definately one of those.

3irty1
11-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Oh, brother! <facepalm> I can't believe all the belly aching about losing Al Harris. He was the #2 choker and the reason we lost all the playoff games we did, right behind #1 choker Brett Favre.

Do you guys not remember him getting lit up by countless recievers in critical games?? wtf?

Plaxico Burress in 2007 should be enough for this to be a non issue. I'd take anyone, and I mean anyone over Al the overrated cb Harris. Good riddance and thanks for all the blown coverages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzpowxGfVFE&NR=1

AtlPackFan
11-08-2010, 10:32 AM
From jso article:

I'm being selfish. I don't want to see him in another uni...especially not purple.

PA Pack Fan
11-08-2010, 10:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOHfLFG2K4

Only 15 seconds in!

bobblehead
11-08-2010, 10:40 AM

Only 15 seconds in!
dude, really? one guy played the game of his life and that is all that mattered?? we gave up a ton of rushing yards too and still kept thhe scoring down. al played ok, plax was unworldly. it hardly defines a career.

PA Pack Fan
11-08-2010, 10:43 AM
dude, really? one guy played the game of his life and that is all that mattered?? we gave up a ton of rushing yards too and still kept thhe scoring down. al played ok, plax was unworldly. it hardly defines a career.
Dude, it was the NFC championship game, not the Lions.

Watch your man Harris get beat over and over and over..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wkmvNV53Rw&feature=related

bobblehead
11-08-2010, 10:47 AM

like i said...plax was unworldly that day....you're right, his other 200 games mean nothing.

Sparkey
11-08-2010, 10:55 AM

like i said...plax was unworldly that day....you're right, his other 200 games mean nothing.

AH, at 35 years old, no doubt has lost a step after the horrible knee injury. Problem is, he didn't have a step left to lose and still be effective.

That pick six against the chickenhawks happened 6 years ago. Age is not kind to anyone, especially an athlete.

Bye Al, thanks for the memories.

Badgerinmaine
11-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm being selfish. I don't want to see him in another uni...especially not purple.

I'm fine with it as long as that's with the Ravens. :-)
Great Packer for a long time. Good luck, Al.

imscott72
11-08-2010, 11:08 AM
It's damn near a lock he'll be a Queen. You just know it based on past history with other guys we've let go. Or maybe a Bear.

sheepshead
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
When are we gonna get rid of TT? How dare he have a bench SO good that Al freikin Harris has to be cut!!????

FIRE TT NOW

gbgary
11-08-2010, 11:39 AM
i love al harris. veeery sad news. consummate professional. we're a lessor team without him. he'll be missed.

rbaloha1
11-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Its too bad. IMO AH deserved a chance to play as a dime db. If AH could not play to Packer's standards then release AH.

Unfortunately, agree that AH may end-up with the Vikings.

retailguy
11-08-2010, 12:15 PM
When are we gonna get rid of TT? How dare he have a bench SO good that Al freikin Harris has to be cut!!????

FIRE TT NOW

This is asinine. No one except you has said this.

PA Pack Fan
11-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Wishing for a 36year old average to less than average cornerback, coming off severe recontructive knee surgery, to start for your team???

As we sit at 6-3.

After pitching a shutout and only giving up 7 in the last 2 games?

:lol:

retailguy
11-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Wishing for a 36year old average to less than average cornerback, coming off severe recontructive knee surgery, to start for your team???

As we sit at 6-3.

Last night we faced one of the worst performing defenses in the NFL, and a team that lost its franchise QB a week ago.

Prior to that we faced an overrated Jets squad and dominated. It was impressive that's for sure.

But there is plenty of game tape from this season that suggests two things. - First, you have no idea where the next injury is coming from (consider that Pat Lee is rumored for IR), and two - more importantly, Shields is a rookie, who needs to play but has been scorched a fair number of times, including last night.

There are benefits to having veteran talent available and I don't give a damn whether Harris wanted to be the #4 corner or not.

I don't like this move. I'd be fine with it in Jan or Feb 2011. Not today.

pbmax
11-08-2010, 12:30 PM

As we sit at 6-3.

Start? Nope.

Play for Pat Lee? Yes. But it has to work with Special Team numbers.

The great unknown, of course, is whether he is healthy enough to play.

Little Whiskey
11-08-2010, 12:32 PM
is it official yet? kinda like waiting for the vet to put your old hunting dog, down.

Wayne laravie was on the radio this morning and was asked about al being released. He was shocked that he would be. Didn't hear know anything about it. you would think no one would be closer to the team than Wayne.

sharpe1027
11-08-2010, 12:37 PM
is it official yet? kinda like waiting for the vet to put your old hunting dog, down.

Wayne laravie was on the radio this morning and was asked about al being released. He was shocked that he would be. Didn't hear know anything about it. you would think no one would be closer to the team than Wayne.

Yep.

http://www.packers.com/

Tony Oday
11-08-2010, 12:46 PM
How was shields burned last night? He played that TD almost perfect and it was a perfect pass.

Bossman641
11-08-2010, 12:47 PM

As we sit at 6-3.

Last night we faced one of the worst performing defenses in the NFL, and a team that lost its franchise QB a week ago.

Prior to that we faced an overrated Jets squad and dominated. It was impressive that's for sure.

But there is plenty of game tape from this season that suggests two things. - First, you have no idea where the next injury is coming from (consider that Pat Lee is rumored for IR), and two - more importantly, Shields is a rookie, who needs to play but has been scorched a fair number of times, including last night.

There are benefits to having veteran talent available and I don't give a damn whether Harris wanted to be the #4 corner or not.

I don't like this move. I'd be fine with it in Jan or Feb 2011. Not today.

I'd say scorched is a little overboard. Holmes had him beat on the crossing pattern for what might have been a TD. That's the only time I can remember him really being beat.

He gave up the TD last night, but even on that play he was right there, he just didn't jump to deflect the ball.

I like to save scorched for guys like Carroll and Hawthorne. :D

retailguy
11-08-2010, 12:53 PM

:shock:

fair enough. Can we just agree that the guy has a ways to go? Some veteran talent might be a benefit down the stretch and Pat Lee doesn't give me a "we've got it covered feeling".

Harris is a loyal, cheap, reliable option (if he's ready to play, and I believe if he wasn't he wouldn't have passed the physical, nor been released)

Tony Oday
11-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Or is Al Harris just another "name" that used to be good...Dallas and Minnesota rely on those guys and they are not having what you call great seasons.

Harris was dominate but with a shredded knee I will have to side with the coaches and the front office in their thinking that he is done.

get louder at lambeau
11-08-2010, 01:01 PM

Only 15 seconds in!

...and at 20 seconds in Woodson misses a tackle and is laying on the turf as Brandon Jacobs runs by him.

I'm surprised as anyone that they cut Harris, and when I think about it, this is the best I can come up with-

Maybe he's about at the same level as the others for dime and 5th CB, but he's old, expensive, injured, and doesn't play special teams, so he wouldn't be activated unless there were more injuries at CB.

He wants to play, so he wouldn't be happy just making a paycheck for sitting inactive week after week. The Packers would be wasting money if he doesn't get on the field, and yes it IS a lot of money. They let him go to a team that can use his bump and run man coverage skills, and he gets to play a couple more years, instead of sitting on the bench in GB.

sheepshead
11-08-2010, 01:04 PM

FIRE TT NOW

This is asinine. No one except you has said this.

Ok, asinine I get maybe. What does the second part even mean?

(it was sarcasm I hope you know)

Patler
11-08-2010, 01:09 PM
I think I will just wait and see if Harris really does have anything left before getting too concerned about him not having had a chance with the Packers.

Shields seems to show up in a play or two every game, even in run support. He reminds me of the way Tramon Williams broke in. Sort of came from no where to leapfrog others with better credentials, and win the nickel spot. Then just seemed to get better and better with more and more playing time.

Bossman641
11-08-2010, 01:11 PM

:shock:

fair enough. Can we just agree that the guy has a ways to go? Some veteran talent might be a benefit down the stretch and Pat Lee doesn't give me a "we've got it covered feeling".

Harris is a loyal, cheap, reliable option (if he's ready to play, and I believe if he wasn't he wouldn't have passed the physical, nor been released)

On the surface I agree with you.

At this time though, I'm not sure Harris would be any better than Shields. Then you have a 36 year old 4th string corner getting paid $2m to play a handful of plays who doesn't play ST. For all we know, the Packers gave him this option and Harris said he would prefer a chance elsewhere.

If a DB gets injured or Harris is effective there will definitely be second-guessing and I will be right there. Based on how effective the defense has been, the staff gets the benefit of the doubt at this time.

Oh, and MM said in his press conference today that Lee is not going on IR.

sharpe1027
11-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Maybe he's about at the same level as the others for dime and 5th CB, but he's old, expensive, injured, and doesn't play special teams, so he wouldn't be activated unless there were more injuries at CB.

He wants to play, so he wouldn't be happy just making a paycheck for sitting inactive week after week. The Packers would be wasting money if he doesn't get on the field, and yes it IS a lot of money. They let him go to a team that can use his bump and run man coverage skills, and he gets to play a couple more years, instead of sitting on the bench in GB.

I think this is a good observation. One of the articles mentioned that MM/TT had discussed the options with Al. Perhaps one option was like your hypothetical and Al and the Packers both agreed it was not a good one.

Old School
11-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Last week the DB coach talked about how difficult it would be for any player to come back from the injury Al had. He went on to say it is harder for a CB to do than any other position because of the torque on knees as CB's react to WR's who know where they are going.

He also stated that there was an area or two - like sudden stops - in which Al was still not up to speed as far as the game is concerned. He said it was with things that can't really be replicated in practice.

Sorry I don't have a link. I don't remember where I read it. I'm twice Al's age. LOL

hoosier
11-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Only 15 seconds in!

...and at 20 seconds in Woodson misses a tackle and is laying on the turf as Brandon Jacobs runs by him.

I'm surprised as anyone that they cut Harris, and when I think about it, this is the best I can come up with-

That may be what has happened. But there is one thing posted in the JSO blog today that isn't entirely consistent with that scenario: according to Harris the coaching staff had been prepping him for the last three weeks to be ready to play nickel back each week, and then come Saturday they would always tell him he wasn't being activated after all. Why would McCarthy's staff lead him to think that he was about to be activated and play if they really think he is no better than Jarrett Bush? It's not like Al is a rookie or a slacker who needs external motivation. If what Harris says is true then I suspect that the coaching staff may not all be on the same page re. Harris.

Fritz
11-08-2010, 01:36 PM

As we sit at 6-3.

Start? Nope.

Play for Pat Lee? Yes. But it has to work with Special Team numbers.

The great unknown, of course, is whether he is healthy enough to play.

These are both good points. The first - special teams. Why didn't the team consider having Al play special teams? It's a question I've pondered.

The second - we'll only know this once
Al hooks up somewhere else.

Third - MM said Pat Lee is improving, so maybe he's not headed for IR after all...

I'm sad. I really liked Harris. But I get that there may be more to this story than we know.

Guiness
11-08-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm surprised, but I'm not. All the experts, and previous examples of this type of injury pointed to him not being able to come back that fast, if at all.

I would guess he thinks he's ready, the team doesn't. With injuries, etc, I have trouble believing they wouldn't want to keep him around as insurance, and I can't see the $2mil being the problem. I agree with some that they put the question to AH, and he asked to be released to see if he could catch on elsewhere.

This reminds me so much of Hendo's last days, when no one thought he was done, except the GB staff...and it turned out he was done. Which he realized after passing through Minnesota, of course.

MichiganPackerFan
11-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Great Packer. Al did everything the right way, and I even liked the way he want about complaining. He's one of my all time favorite players and I'm going to really miss him.

My thoughts exactly. An emotional good-bye for me. Thanks Al!!!!!!

RashanGary
11-08-2010, 02:35 PM
I think I will just wait and see if Harris really does have anything left before getting too concerned about him not having had a chance with the Packers.

Shields seems to show up in a play or two every game, even in run support. He reminds me of the way Tramon Williams broke in. Sort of came from no where to leapfrog others with better credentials, and win the nickel spot. Then just seemed to get better and better with more and more playing time.

Good comparison. Both great athletes too.

MadScientist
11-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Several of you have made mention of the $2M that Al is owed in relation to the reason he was cut. Unless he is claimed on waivers (doubtful), the Packers will be paying Al the 2M - vet minimum. This was not a cost saver, this was a situation were he must not have been good enough in practice to be the nickel back, and was of no use on ST.

Unfortunately right now there is no good place for him on the team. Obviously injuries could change that, but you risk not having an important ST player for the possibly that one of the top CB's gets hurt. The Packers made their choice and hopefully it is the right one.

Good bye Al. You were great for a while.

edit: Apparently they don't have to pay him because he wasn't on the active roster for week 1. I still think money was not an issue in his release.

Fritz
11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I would like to have seen them keep Harris as insurance, as say the fourth corner, but then again if he can't or won't play special teams, then you have a problem with having enough ST guys since the guy he'd be bumping - Lee - plays special teams.

But think about it: the Packers prefer Jarrett Bush to Al Harris.

Wow.

I guess Patler is right - we'll see how he plays once he's picked up elsewhere. Like so many others, I see Minny making a grab for him. At least he won't bitch about the catered food.

hoosier
11-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Wow.

I guess Patler is right - we'll see how he plays once he's picked up elsewhere. Like so many others, I see Minny making a grab for him. At least he won't bitch about the catered food.

To my untrained TV eye Jarrett Bush actually looked decent last night. He had the "strip" on the kickoff return that led to Collins's TD. He tackled well and prevented several hitch routes from turning into first downs. I didn't see him get toasted even once.

Given that Minnesota plays even less man press coverage than the Packers I don't know if Al is a great fit there.

Cheesehead Craig
11-08-2010, 03:12 PM

Wow.

To my untrained TV eye Jarrett Bush actually looked decent last night. He had the "strip" on the kickoff return that led to Collins's TD. He tackled well and prevented several hitch routes from turning into first downs. I didn't see him get toasted even once.

Given that Minnesota plays even less man press coverage than the Packers I don't know if Al is a great fit there.
They blitzed him how they did Woodson and I saw him flying into the backfield and hurrying Kitna and helping out on run support. Perhaps he's actually getting better?

Little Whiskey
11-08-2010, 03:16 PM
670 the score out of Chicago has quoted Lovie Smith saying that the bears are not interested either.

denverYooper
11-08-2010, 03:28 PM

I think this is a good observation. One of the articles mentioned that MM/TT had discussed the options with Al. Perhaps one option was like your hypothetical and Al and the Packers both agreed it was not a good one.

JSO's blog had that blurb about discussing all of the options. My guess is that one of them was to IR him for the season if he wanted a chance to stay with the team and that they couldn't guarantee they'd activate him on Monday if he didn't want to do that.

Sam Shields INT to steal what little momentum the Cowboys D had gained and set up the Pack's first score probably sealed the deal.

denverYooper
11-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Several of you have made mention of the $2M that Al is owed in relation to the reason he was cut. Unless he is claimed on waivers (doubtful), the Packers will be paying Al the 2M - vet minimum. This was not a cost saver, this was a situation were he must not have been good enough in practice to be the nickel back, and was of no use on ST.

Unfortunately right now there is no good place for him on the team. Obviously injuries could change that, but you risk not having an important ST player for the possibly that one of the top CB's gets hurt. The Packers made their choice and hopefully it is the right one.

Good bye Al. You were great for a while.

edit: Apparently they don't have to pay him because he wasn't on the active roster for week 1. I still think money was not an issue i his release.

They don't owe him any salary because he was not active for the first game of the season.

Patler
11-08-2010, 03:49 PM
The good things to take away from the Packers releasing Harris are:

1. It says they really have confidence in Sam Shields.
2. It suggests that Lee and Underwood may have taken a step up, unless of course they have been kept strictly for ST work.

pbmax
11-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Harris, who’ll turn 36 on Dec. 7, tore the anterior cruciate ligament, the lateral collateral ligament, the IT band, the fibular collateral ligament and the lateral hamstring in his left knee and leg last Nov. 22 and underwent reconstructive surgery by team physician Pat McKenzie eight days later.

I'm surprised, but I'm not. All the experts, and previous examples of this type of injury pointed to him not being able to come back that fast, if at all.

I would guess he thinks he's ready, the team doesn't. With injuries, etc, I have trouble believing they wouldn't want to keep him around as insurance, and I can't see the $2mil being the problem. I agree with some that they put the question to AH, and he asked to be released to see if he could catch on elsewhere.

This reminds me so much of Hendo's last days, when no one thought he was done, except the GB staff...and it turned out he was done. Which he realized after passing through Minnesota, of course.

Did I miss the details of his knee surgery? I don't remember hearing that it was that different from a normal ACL repair. Did this come out during the season or just when Al made the videos of his rehab?

Some of those injuries I have not seen frequently in reports of knee surgery (in fact, I am surprised by the entire list except ACL and lateral collateral). The other two I recall being associated with severe damage (PCL, medial collateral) aren't listed.

Was this unusual?

Patler
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Did I miss the details of his knee surgery? I don't remember hearing that it was that different from a normal ACL repair. Did this come out during the season or just when Al made the videos of his rehab?

Some of those injuries I have not seen frequently in reports of knee surgery (in fact, I am surprised by the entire list except ACL and lateral collateral). The other two I recall being associated with severe damage (PCL, medial collateral) aren't listed.

Was this unusual?

Yes, it was discussed in the videos and has bee written about a few times since. His therapist, who specializes in working with pro athletes, said it was the most devastating knee injury he had ever seen. He said that basically, the surgeon had to rebuild the entire joint.

I was shocked, because it was a very innocently looking injury. He planted his leg and turned, and everything seemed to let go in his knee.

Deputy Nutz
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
First, the Packers know more about Al Harris's recovery than anyone else does. nobody has seen Al Harris practice or play in close to a year now. I can't believe that Thompson or McCarthey could be foolish enough to cut Harris if he was conditioned and performing well enough in practice to crack the depth chart as 5th defensive back. The coaching and medical staff at this point probably think that he is not ready, therefore he does not factor in the plan for 2011 so instead of putting him on IR or taking a roster spot from a special team's player, they cut him.

The only way that the Packers will look foolish if Harris catches on with another team and performs close to the caliber of his former self. Harris is 35 years old, with a busted knee. The odds are not in his favor of returning to a pro bowl level.

I have blamed Thompson in the past for being looking to deep into the future with keeping younger players on the roster, versus picking up solid veterans that could push this team into the playoffs, I simply don't think this is the case with Harris otherwise he would be on the roster with the team going into the bye at 6-3 and still being touted as one of the favorites to win the NFC Championship.

Patler
11-08-2010, 05:20 PM
A few articles about the extent of the injury. Even Harris called it "career ending":

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/95477594.html

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/86780217.html

Fritz
11-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I wish Al Harris all the best...unless he's on a team playing the Pack. Then I hope he gets burnt like toast all night long.

sheepshead
11-08-2010, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzpowxGfVFE

Classic(sorry if was already posted)

MJZiggy
11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
AAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gbgary
11-08-2010, 07:02 PM
i'll say it again...we're a lessor team without him. his character and leadership will be missed. maybe he can get into coaching sometime down the road.

steve823
11-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Al is the man. I don't care where he goes, I wish him well. This is more painful to me then Brett Favre leaving. I always looked up to Al and wanted to be a physical corner like him when I was in high school. Guy is a class act and a good role model and will be missed.

Fritz
11-09-2010, 07:01 AM
I found it interesting that Capers classified both Underwood and Lee as ascending.

They must believe, between their special teams play and their (supposed) improvement, that those two are worth more to the team than Harris.

If Lee gets healthy soon, perhaps he can by season's end be as good a 4th corner as Harris would have been.

But again, it'll be interesting to see how Harris plays. Not only will he have to test his knee, he'll have to shake some rust off, much like Barnett had to last year.

That might have entered into the thinking, too - by the time Harris shook the rust off, Lee and/or Underwood might have been able to gain enough experience to be as good as a 35 year old Harris.

Still, Harris was a pro's pro. I have great respect for him.

PA Pack Fan
11-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Sheesh, the eagles left him go years ago because he sucked and you guys are shedding tears like your grandma just died? oy vey!

There wasn't near the crying when Kampman was let go.

3irty1
11-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Sheesh, the eagles left him go years ago because he sucked and you guys are shedding tears like your grandma just died? oy vey!

You know he's a 2x probowler with the Packers right?

Kampman was lost to FA so its a little different.

Cheesehead Craig
11-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Fun with stats
Including the AZ playoff game, it's been a full season since he's last suited up, 16 games.

During that time:
Packers record is 11-5 avg giving up 223 pass yds/game with 23 TD and 30 INT

It seems to me that we're doing pretty well without Al in there.

sheepshead
11-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Fun with stats
Including the AZ playoff game, it's been a full season since he's last suited up, 16 games.

During that time:

FIRE TT NOW[quote]

ergo

I got slammed for this opinion by the self appointed forum SS.

vince
11-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Roy Williams' worst nightmare
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/harris111908.jpg
Good luck Al until you face the Pack.

pbmax
11-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Not being able to bypass Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor is not the same as sucking. And a DB being traded for a Round 2 pick is no small matter. Even if it was Sherman trading with his buddy Andy Reid.

Cheesehead Craig
11-09-2010, 04:49 PM
[quote=Cheesehead Craig]Fun with stats

During that time:

FIRE TT NOW

ergo

Huh? Wasn't directed at you at all. Just wanted to see the numbers without Al on the team.

sheepshead
11-09-2010, 04:53 PM
[quote=Cheesehead Craig]Fun with stats

During that time:

FIRE TT NOW

ergo

Huh? Wasn't directed at you at all. Just wanted to see the numbers without Al on the team.

no scroll up. I am with you all the way. My point is(and was) the Green Bay Packers are a good team, that tough decisions like releasing Al Harris are made easier with the personnel TT has put in place. Time and time again he seems to find good players. They just may not be on someone fantasy team. (then I got torched for having an opinion)

Cheesehead Craig
11-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Gotcha. Carry on. Oh and Harris wasn't claimed which wasn't a shocker. Nobody was going to pick up his contract without having him in for workouts to see his knee firsthand.

The Shadow
11-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Always liked Al, but always considered him at best a "B" grade corner.
Sometimes made a big play (Seattle playoff, Cutler debut), but got de-pantsed at highly inopportune times by good receivers (Burress, Owens).
At 35 and with a bad wheel, I understand the Pack's decision.

sharpe1027
11-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Sometimes made a big play (Seattle playoff, Cutler debut), but got de-pantsed at highly inopportune times by good receivers (Burress, Owens).

IDK about B-grade, unless you are a really hard grader. :) I can count the times he had trouble with a WR on one hand and thats over many years. He pretty much shut down the top WR most of the time. He didn't have a lot of picks, but that's partly because he wasn't thrown against.

rbaloha1
11-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Lets hope this does not backfire like not resigning Darren Sharper.

IMO a team can not have too many corners. The Packers had 3 weeks to study Harris. Generally, TT is correct -- hope TT is right again.

sheepshead
11-09-2010, 05:32 PM

IMO a team can not have too many corners. The Packers had 3 weeks to study Harris. Generally, TT is correct -- hope TT is right again.

I never looked back on Darren Sharper. A guy who cant tackle would not have a spot on my defense. The pack did the right thing.

pbmax
11-09-2010, 05:38 PM

Outside of regretting releasing a DB, what do they have in common?

Sharper was a $7 million route jumper who had a knee injury that allowed him to play. Harris is older, less expensive and coming off major knee surgery that has yet to allow him to demonstrate he can still play.

By the way, Harris cleared waivers.

Patler
11-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Not resigning Sharper? He was already under contract, but a contract with a big cap impact. Sharper was purely a salary cap casualty. TT tried to renegotiate a contract that would allow the Packers to keep him, but Sharper would have nothing to do with it. That forced the Packers to release him to get under the salary cap. From Sharper's perspective it was a good decision because the Vikings paid him about what he had been due from the Packers.

As I recall, going into that off season the Packers were something like $9 million over the salary cap with their existing contracts. Wahle and Sharper had big bonuses/salaries due. The chances of not releasing Wahle and Sharper, or resigning Rivera were slim, at best. In the end, cutting ties with all three was probably the best, and provided the cap flexibility going forward to keep Kampman, sign Woodson and quickly recast the roster over the next couple years.

Bretsky
11-09-2010, 06:09 PM

Not resigning Sharper? He was already under contract, but a contract with a big cap impact. Sharper was purely a salary cap casualty. TT tried to renegotiate a contract that would allow the Packers to keep him, but Sharper would have nothing to do with it. That forced the Packers to release him to get under the salary cap. From Sharper's perspective it was a good decision because the Vikings paid him about what he had been due from the Packers.

As I recall, going into that off season the Packers were something like $9 million over the salary cap with their existing contracts. Wahle and Sharper had big bonuses/salaries due. The chances of not releasing Wahle and Sharper, or resigning Rivera were slim, at best. In the end, cutting ties with all three was probably the best, and provided the cap flexibility going forward to keep Kampman, sign Woodson and quickly recast the roster over the next couple years.

You are probably right but I only remember the huge Wahle bonus...not one going to Sharper as well. TT IMO made a feeble attempt to sign Sharper. Reportedly offering about 2MIL per year. I think most felt he got about what he should with around 4MIL per year from MN

Guiness
11-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Not being able to bypass Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor is not the same as sucking. And a DB being traded for a Round 2 pick is no small matter. Even if it was Sherman trading with his buddy Andy Reid.

No shame in being traded for a 2nd round pick. In the other thread, we're talking about being lucky if we could get a 4th rounder for Barnett, should we decide to trade him.

pbmax
11-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Shadow, seems like I have seen a post from you in forever. Good to see you.

pbmax
11-09-2010, 06:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzpowxGfVFE

Classic(sorry if was already posted)
This is even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8d80EfD5I&feature=related

I had never seen this replay before of Hasselback's extra special TD celebration.

Patler
11-09-2010, 07:04 PM

You are probably right but I only remember the huge Wahle bonus...not one going to Sharper as well. TT IMO made a feeble attempt to sign Sharper. Reportedly offering about 2MIL per year. I think most felt he got about what he should with around 4MIL per year from MN

Sharper's was a combination of a high a 2005 salary and roster bonus due ($8.633 million total cap impact). He would have been third highest in cap impact, behind just Favre at $11.733 million and Wahle at $11.375 million (per a JSO article that I kept a copy of). With qualifying offers to RFAs, the Packers were nearly $12 million over the cap of 85.5 million. That didn't include the mandatory pool for rookies that they would have had to make room for by April. They were still paying Joe Jonson and Jamal Reynolds a combined $4.5 million.

Interesting tidbit - of the contracts TT inherited when he came on board, 21 of them were for $1 million or more against the 2005 cap, and just those 21 collectively would have counted $74.3 against the cap of $85.5. That would have left $11 million for 32 players + practice squad + IR + in season contingencies. Quite a mess, really.

rbaloha1
11-09-2010, 07:36 PM
The point about Sharper is DS went on to have HOF career after GB.

The Leaper
11-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Harris just doesn't have much to offer anymore. The guy never had any speed to begin with, and he'll have even less now. I'm also guessing his agility has seen a notable decline as well. He may be close to 100% now...but that might only be 85-90% of what he was a couple years ago. Few NFL CBs last into their late 30s, and those guys typically are gifted athletically. That doesn't really describe Al.

With no real upside, and plenty of potential downside...I certainly think the Packers made a smart move on this one.

He was a hell of a player for the Packers who will one day get enshrined in the Packer HOF. I think he's a relatively bright guy who likely will make a name for himself again in broadcasting or coaching. Best of luck to him.

Patler
11-09-2010, 09:42 PM

Sorry, I don't understand. Most of his career was spent in GB.

Letting Sharper, Wahle and others go gave the Packers the cap space to match the Vikings offer to Kampman that same year as well as resign Franks to a long term contract. The next year they signed Kampman long term. Jenkins, Driver and Harris all got long contracts. Some of those may have been impossible if money went to Sharper instead.

I never felt that Sharper was missed all that much.

bobblehead
11-10-2010, 05:08 AM

my mother once said that if absolutely everyone disagrees wit your opinion you might want to reconsider things.

a few might think he was slightly overrated, but you stand alone on the planet in thinking he stunk.

bobblehead
11-10-2010, 05:23 AM

why has a HOF player bounced around the league so much?

sheepshead
11-10-2010, 06:58 AM

No way.

Fritz
11-10-2010, 07:11 AM
I like Al Harris, and I like the idea of a veteran presence if the Pack makes the playoffs. Still, this line in the JSO got me to thinking...."The National Football Post reported that veteran cornerback Al Harris, who was released by the Packers Monday, cleared waivers."

Okay, if Al was really going to be a solid, solid nickel guy, why did a potential playoff team not pick him up? Salary? 2 or 2.5 mill - of which a team would be on the hook for about 1.25 or something for the rest of the year - that's not a lot of money in an uncapped year. Not if you are pretty darn sure you're getting a solid nickel back you can plug right in.

But no one claimed him. Not the Patriots, not the Queens (wow), not the Bucs nor the Jets (who seem to have little behind Cromartie and Revis). No one.

Harris will very likely sign with someone, sure - but any team could have had him, automatically, by putting in a claim. But no one did.

Makes me wonder if maybe Harris's injury and age have caught up to him, and it's clear to the NFL.

Yet, there's that fan-part of me that wanted the idea of Al Harris back with the Pack...

Joemailman
11-10-2010, 07:22 AM
I believe I read that teams cannot have Al undergo a physical examination until he is a free agent. That may be the reason. Certainly the fact that the Packers would release him has to have teams wondering what he has left. The thing people have to remember is that just because Al had been deemed 100% ready to play doesn't mean he's the same player he was before the injury.

pbmax
11-10-2010, 07:31 AM
I believe I read that teams cannot have Al undergo a physical examination until he is a free agent. That may be the reason. Certainly the fact that the Packers would release him has to have teams wondering what he has left. The thing people have to remember is that just because Al had been deemed 100% ready to play doesn't mean he's the same player he was before the injury.
If that is the case then it makes a LOT of sense. There have been other cases of release vets that clear waivers where I have wondered how teams with a clear need passed. In the case of having no film of a recovering player, this would explain a lot.

Cheesehead Craig
11-10-2010, 09:05 AM
If that is the case then it makes a LOT of sense. There have been other cases of release vets that clear waivers where I have wondered how teams with a clear need passed. In the case of having no film of a recovering player, this would explain a lot.
Yep, that's what I said earlier in this thread. Given how he shredded his knee nobody was going to claim him without seeing it first hand.

mmmdk
11-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Best of luck to Al Harris with Dolphins; just too bad that the weather always suck in Miami :wink:

Cheesehead Craig
11-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Best of luck to Al Harris with Dolphins; just too bad that the weather always suck in Miami :wink:
First T-Buck, now Harris. Miami loves our cast-off DBs.

get louder at lambeau
11-10-2010, 10:05 AM
First T-Buck, now Harris. Miami loves our cast-off DBs.

David Martin, Samkon Gado, Joey Haynos...

Joemailman
11-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Kind of thought Al would end up in Florida. I believe that's where he lives. Good luck Al!

vince
11-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Al will always be a (great) Packer to me, but I'd say that's a good place for him to finish out his career.

gbgary
11-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Good Luck AL!

Airin' Rodgers
11-10-2010, 10:48 AM
I was holding out hope they would bring him back in for less, but good luck in Miami Al.

Glad he's not on a team that's remaining on our schedule

Joemailman
11-10-2010, 10:50 AM
He would have looked terrible in purple.

SkinBasket
11-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Glad he's not on a team that's remaining on our schedule

If he wasn't good enough with his gimp leg to bump the likes of Bush or Underwood off the roster, I don't care where he is or what he's doing.

pbmax
11-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Miami, Minnesota, Detroit and Houston all made pitches to his agent, Jack Bechta. According to the website partially owned and contributed to by Jack Bechta:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Agent-Miami-Dolphins-sign-Al-Harris.html

The Texans are easy to understand, their pass D is 31st in the league according to Football Outsiders (http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef). The Dolphins are 23rd, so that makes sense on the face of it. The Vikings are 18th but they have health issues in the D backfield and clearly covet thy neighbor's players. But the Lions are 13th in Pass D. Injuries or is CB the weak spot? I honestly don't remember from the game.

Fritz
11-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Detroit has a lack of talent at the corner position.

SkinBasket
11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Miami, Minnesota, Detroit and Houston all made pitches to his agent, Jack Bechta. According to the website partially owned and contributed to by Jack Bechta:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Agent-Miami-Dolphins-sign-Al-Harris.html

The Texans are easy to understand, their pass D is 31st in the league according to Football Outsiders (http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef). The Dolphins are 23rd, so that makes sense on the face of it. The Vikings are 18th but they have health issues in the D backfield and clearly covet thy neighbor's players. But the Lions are 13th in Pass D. Injuries or is CB the weak spot? I honestly don't remember from the game.

I wonder how much selling that agent did that Al can even contribute anything this season. It doesn't sound like there was time for individual work-outs.

BobDobbs
11-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Thank you for not playing for the Vikes Al. I hope you love your last couple of years and put a frown on the faces of Rex Ryan and Bill Bellicheck.

gbgary
11-11-2010, 11:47 AM

i would have hated to have to hate him.

Packers4Ever
11-11-2010, 12:02 PM
My guess is that the Packers do not think he can play with his knee, he thinks he can, so they are releasing him to give him the opportunity of trying to catch on with someone else.

I expect the Vikings to make an offer. They have with just about any packer of significance that has been available.

You probably already know, Patler, that Al's accepted a post with the Dolphins, I believe it is. There are a LOT of people upset over this, but -
football is a business and therefore they have to do what's necessary for this team's business. It just seems, after he spent weeks and weeks of
recuping, he might have been given a chance.

He also offered to tutor here with our team, he was happy here.

Packers4Ever
11-11-2010, 12:09 PM

There's no way we could have even begun to hate Al,
I just hope the Dolphins realize what a Gem they have !! :(

Fritz
11-11-2010, 12:25 PM

There's no way we could have even begun to hate Al,
I just hope the Dolphins realize what a Gem they have !! :(

Given the nature of football and fandom, that will primarily depend on how well he plays.

Packers4Ever
11-11-2010, 12:41 PM
From jso article:

Now who could you possibly mean by that ??? :wink:

Guiness
11-12-2010, 10:30 AM

Can't bring him in for a physical before claiming him?

I wonder what the reason for that rule is? Certainly explains teams reluctance to claim guys like Harris and Merriman though.

Guiness
11-12-2010, 10:34 AM
From the article

A Pompano Beach, Fla., resident, Harris made the decision due to wanting to play in the AFC as well as geographical reasons.

I wonder why he wanted to play in the AFC? I can see him wanting to be in Florida, because that's where he lives, but want to be in the AFC? Odd.

gbgary
11-12-2010, 11:07 AM
From the article

A Pompano Beach, Fla., resident, Harris made the decision due to wanting to play in the AFC as well as geographical reasons.

I wonder why he wanted to play in the AFC? I can see him wanting to be in Florida, because that's where he lives, but want to be in the AFC? Odd.

maybe because there's less chance of playing the Packers...not wanting to go there looking for a fight like some others we know.