PDA

View Full Version : What about Starks?

Patler
11-08-2010, 09:28 AM
We are forgetting about him. A decision is due today on him as well.

Is there injury justification to put him on IR? Doesn't seem to be.
Do you give up on him without ever seeing what he can do?
Do you simply send Nance packing?

I vote for the third one. Nance isn't contributing anyway. Might as well give Starks a shot. That's why he was drafted.

Willard
11-08-2010, 09:30 AM

I vote for the third one. Nance isn't contributing anyway. Might as well give Starks a shot. That's why he was drafted.
Does there need to be proof of an injury to put a player on IR?

Patler
11-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Does there need to be proof of an injury to put a player on IR?

Yes, there used to be anyway. It was to prevent teams from stockpiling players for the future. At times the league even investigated the significance of purported injuries.

hoosier
11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Nance looked pretty unimpressive last night but his only opportunities came in garbage time when everyone knew what was coming. Unless the coaching staff has seen something special in him I would get rid of him and activate Starks (assuming he's healthy). If Starks gets hurt again there are always more Nances when that one came from.

Brandon494
11-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Like I said when we signed him Nance is garbage. Cut him and sign Starks!

3irty1
11-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Nance, or Quinn Johnson would both make sense. Shields holds at least as much special teams value as these two.

ND72
11-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I have to agree with Wayne Larivee on this one....way too many people are putting hope in a guy who hasn't taken a snap, or a hit in well over a year now. He didn't play his senior year, and only took limited snaps so far as a packer. Why are we putting any hope in him? Wayne even threw out the Justin Harrell comparison.

Patler
11-08-2010, 11:19 AM
I have to agree with Wayne Larivee on this one....way too many people are putting hope in a guy who hasn't taken a snap, or a hit in well over a year now. He didn't play his senior year, and only took limited snaps so far as a packer. Why are we putting any hope in him? Wayne even threw out the Justin Harrell comparison.

I'm not really putting any hope in him at this point, but the Packers have to do something with him. If there is a justification to IR him that might be the best solution. If not, I can't see cutting him. He was drafted for a reason, and was identified by several of the analysts as one of the late round sleepers who could surprise. Nance isn't really contributing much, and has even been inactive most weeks, I believe. I would just as soon give that spot to Starks to see if he does have anything to offer.

vince
11-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't think anybody would put him on their 53. Cut him and sign him to the PS.

pittstang5
11-08-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm with Patler - Cut Nance and put Starks on the 53. Maybe Starks could start out returning KOs. Not sure if he's done this before, but why not give it a try.

I had hoped Nance would actually do something. Seems he's been on the roster for quite some time or at least on long enough to play a series at least. But I haven't really noticed him in the game if he has played (didn't see last nights game yet either). I don't know if it was a coaches decision to bring him along slowly or if he just doesn't get it. Either way, IMO, I say cut him and let's see what Starks can do.

mraynrand
11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Nance lacks Nuance and Starks may have sparks

sharpe1027
11-08-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm with Patler - Cut Nance and put Starks on the 53. Maybe Starks could start out returning KOs. Not sure if he's done this before, but why not give it a try.

I had hoped Nance would actually do something. Seems he's been on the roster for quite some time or at least on long enough to play a series at least. But I haven't really noticed him in the game if he has played (didn't see last nights game yet either). I don't know if it was a coaches decision to bring him along slowly or if he just doesn't get it. Either way, IMO, I say cut him and let's see what Starks can do.

He looked pedestrian last night in mop-up duty. Granted, everyone knew the Packers were going to run on every play and he had a make-shift B-squad blocking for him.

I don't really care either way. Make a decision and try to send the other to the practice squad. Neither one is a sure thing and both have their problems.

As far as returning kicks, if Shields has fixed his dropsies, they might have that solved anyway.

Shoal
11-08-2010, 12:04 PM
"A decision on RB James Starks coming off PUP will be made on Wednesday. That's when the deadline is for him because he started practicing later than Harris and Bigby."

Patler
11-08-2010, 12:07 PM
"A decision on RB James Starks coming off PUP will be made on Wednesday. That's when the deadline is for him because he started practicing later than Harris and Bigby."

Just saw that. I thought they all started at the same time.
So they have two more days for him.

mmmdk
11-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Starks hasn't played in 2 years. I say, get stronger Starks, be ready for next season. To IR you go! One hit and Starks might be injured again. Starks is a big Q-mark this season.

Then again, Nance injured his ankle a few weeks back and didn't have any quickness to him last night. But he's a better bet to contribute to the offense. The lesser of two evils.

HarveyWallbangers
11-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Yes, there used to be anyway. It was to prevent teams from stockpiling players for the future. At times the league even investigated the significance of purported injuries.

It seems to me that teams are still allowed to be a bit liberal with their IR. We've had guys that had a good chance to come back get put on IR. I'm sure they could argue to the NFL that they gave Starks a chance, but he's not ready. Harris was a different story because of the money he was making. My money is on Starks going on IR.

channtheman
11-08-2010, 02:36 PM

I believe Nance was the running back against the Vikings when Rodgers threw the INT on the screen. So yeah, cut him.

Patler
11-08-2010, 02:45 PM

It seems to me that teams are still allowed to be a bit liberal with their IR. We've had guys that had a good chance to come back get put on IR. I'm sure they could argue to the NFL that they gave Starks a chance, but he's not ready. Harris was a different story because of the money he was making. My money is on Starks going on IR.

It has always been somewhat loose as to how long a player was expected to be out, but the injury had to legitimately make the player unavailable at least for the immediate future.

Fritz
11-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I do wonder what they'll do. Can they cut Nance, activate Starks ("Power Twins, activate!"), then ease him in over the last six games? He could play ST and maybe work himself in at RB.

I'm just sayin'. Is Starks in six games from now going to be better than Nance in six games? That seems to be the question.