PDA

View Full Version : Katy Bar The Door: Sam Shields Is Your Kick Returner

pbmax
11-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Man, McCarthy and Slocum may not be sure how to coach top shelf Special Teams, but they have the guts of a burglar. He must have really stepped up in practice.

If he can catch it, watch out.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/106896883.html

Patler
11-08-2010, 12:50 PM
At least on kickoffs he has time to drop it and pick it up again, unlike punts for which the coverage guys are there as you catch it. Sometimes that even seems to work better!
:lol:

Several JSO writers have been complaining about TT's unwillingness to use small quick guys like other teams are. He must be doing this to appease them! :lol:

Bossman641
11-08-2010, 12:51 PM
As the ball was in the air, I wish I could have bet on the odds that Shields was going to take that ball out of the end zone. Even though he was 5-6 yards deep you just knew he was pumped and was going to return it no matter what.

I feel alot better about Shields as a KR then I would as a PR. Finally a little explosiveness back there.

hoosier
11-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Uh oh. This and Harris have reminded me that every year the Packers staff and front office seem to have a few decisions that just go against prevailing wisdom. Hopefully it doesn't blow up in their faces a la Jon Ryan.

Brandon494
11-08-2010, 04:21 PM
I like the move with Pat Lee being injuried. We can't afford to lose Brandon Jackson and jogging Jordy aint cutting it.

I'm fine with him being a KR mainly because if he does drop him which he most likely will atleast once he has time to recover.

mission
11-08-2010, 07:56 PM
I missed the Shields return when I was in the bathroom yesterday. One of a few big plays I didn't see. Tailgating all day makes it tough, I need a piss bag next time I'm at Lambeau. :lol:

Anyone have a link for the replay? I just looked on youtube and through the NFL.com highlights but didn't see anything.

Fred's Slacks
11-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I missed the Shields return when I was in the bathroom yesterday. One of a few big plays I didn't see. Tailgating all day makes it tough, I need a piss bag next time I'm at Lambeau. :lol:

Anyone have a link for the replay? I just looked on youtube and through the NFL.com highlights but didn't see anything.

The one thing I hate about being at the game. Taking a piss is a minimum 20 minute ordeal. I always miss a turnover or a score or both when I'm in there. Next time, I'm going into the stadium dangerously dehydrated.

packerbacker1234
11-08-2010, 09:50 PM
It's a good move, assuming he doesn't get hurt. He has time to recover it should he miff it a tad, and as he showed with his one chance yesterday...

guy is killer. So fast, Runs north and south, has some moves. Real special talent. The great thing? He isn't all speed, guy plays a decent corner and keeps getting better. Realy surprise.

Sam Shields, one of the best undrafted finds in packers history.

channtheman
11-08-2010, 11:22 PM
It's a good move, assuming he doesn't get hurt. He has time to recover it should he miff it a tad, and as he showed with his one chance yesterday...

guy is killer. So fast, Runs north and south, has some moves. Real special talent. The great thing? He isn't all speed, guy plays a decent corner and keeps getting better. Realy surprise.

Whoa whoa whoa now. He's looked good so far but lets let him play at least one full year before we crown him.

mraynrand
11-09-2010, 08:21 AM

Whoa whoa whoa now. He's looked good so far but lets let him play at least one full year before we crown him.

CROWN HIS ASS!!!

http://tvbythenumbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/denny-green.jpg

Patler
11-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Well, just at DB he's got a ways to go just to catch Tramon Williams in that regard. Then, there's Willie Wood who made it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and probably a few others at other positions. For example, Cullen Jenkins hasn't been too shabby

vince
11-10-2010, 08:10 AM

If he can just catch the ball back there, his speed just jumps out at you. I'd kick high and short to make him run up and catch it in as much traffic as possible, even if it's his own guys for the most part, until he proves he can do it with consistency.

Here's his first official NFL kick-off.

http://vimeo.com/16691786

mission
11-10-2010, 10:00 AM

If he can just catch the ball back there, his speed just jumps out at you. I'd kick high and short to make him run up and catch it in as much traffic as possible, even if it's his own guys for the most part, until he proves he can do it with consistency.

Here's his first official NFL kick-off.

http://vimeo.com/16691786

Thanks for that, Vince... I even spent a bunch of time looking yesterday thinking someone had time to put it up. Looks pretty clean there, but I agree the short popup kickoffs could give him problems (and us good field position if he can handle it).

Joemailman
11-10-2010, 10:29 AM
I think he'll be fine as a KO returner. A punt returner has a lot more to think about as the ball is coming to him (Catch and return, Fair catch, Don't catch it). He may not have been able to handle the distraction caused by that. If teams kick it high and short, he may not be the one catching it anyway. I was wondering in training camp why they didn't give him a shot at returning kick offs. Then again, Slocum often has me wondering why they do things a certain way.