PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Deer Hunting Thread

Little Whiskey
11-08-2010, 03:52 PM
There has to be a few of you out there that go to "deer Camp" every year. thought it might be cool to hear some camp stories.

Stats:
our camp is in the upper pennisula. the started back in the late 1940's. one guy was still comming to camp up until last year. he is in his late 80's. We camp in an wall tent on public land, always the same general area. usually only for the first week of the season. we have between 5-7 guys in camp. I've attended for the past 9 years. I'm an In-law. one of 3 inlaws.

one of my fav camp stories:
my wife's grandpa was up at deer camp (in 1953) while grandma was prego. she called him on the 17th to say she was in labor. He rushed home just as the baby was born (my mother-in-law). He was there long enough to cut the cord and drove back to camp and shot a 10point. (still one of the biggest deer camp has gotten). that rack now hangs in above my mother-in-law's garage parking space.

Deputy Nutz
11-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Sweet!.

I am pretty stoked for this season. lots of big buck sign in the area. Doesn't mean shit, but it is still exciting.

I hunt about an hour and a half northwest of Madison in Richland County. We have a lot of rolling hills, valleys and enough farm fields to keep interest. My inlaws have two parcels. One is 80 acres of farm land and woods, and the other is 80 acres down in the valley and on the hill sides.

Camp menu,
Fish fry on Friday afternoon or evening,
Steak on Saturday night,
Burgers on Sunday night
Eggs and little smokies in the morning

Shit load of cofee

Little Whiskey
11-08-2010, 07:53 PM
its funny how the menu is always the same. every year we put together our menu. every year we say that we're going to switch it up, but every year everyone has their fav's the can't be replaced. so it ends up being the same every year.

how many days do you stay, nutz? We're usually in camp for a week. it takes us the better part of a day to set camp and tear down. anything less than a week, just doesn't seem worth it.

do you guys have a cabin or set up a tent? our tent is a 12x17 wall tent and we've added the 12x10 cook shack. with an additional 10ft porch/bar area. a few years back we drove a well. we now have running water in camp.

we've lost a couple of the big coffee drinkers. but as we've gotten a bit younger in camp, the beer consumption has increased!

Little Whiskey
11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Trailer is packed, just waiting until friday.

FYI, always always always, air your tent out after the season. Mildew is a pain in the ASS!!!!

Oscar
11-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Shot a nice 10 pointer this morning. I'd seen him at dawn Saturday but couldn't get a shot. Same time same place and the rest is history. Wonder how Nutz and Whiskey are getting along.

pbmax
11-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Sweet!.

I am pretty stoked for this season. lots of big buck sign in the area. Doesn't mean shit, but it is still exciting.

I hunt about an hour and a half northwest of Madison in Richland County. We have a lot of rolling hills, valleys and enough farm fields to keep interest. My inlaws have two parcels. One is 80 acres of farm land and woods, and the other is 80 acres down in the valley and on the hill sides.

Camp menu,
Fish fry on Friday afternoon or evening,
Steak on Saturday night,
Burgers on Sunday night
Eggs and little smokies in the morning

Shit load of cofee

Nutz, whereabouts in Richland County? We have relatives just outside of Richland Center on 40 acres.

hoosier
11-17-2010, 07:11 PM
I have a hankering for Deer Hunter the movie. "One shot."

Sparkey
11-17-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm heading up to Lakewood area on thursday afternoon. Have not seen much in deer the last few years. Coyotes, foxes, bears and one wolf, however.

Used to go to get that "big buck" but now it is more that I get to spend more time with my Dad. Shit he is 74, don't know how many more years he will be doing this.

Little Whiskey
11-20-2010, 07:49 AM
We got home last night around 1am. Another good year at camp. actually every year is a good year. most of the guys at camp only see each other once a year, but no one misses a beat. We set up camp in rain this year. we all got soaked! at least it was dry when we broke camp.

the deer tried to help us bring home some wall hangers but we couldn't close the deal. everyone had the chance to shoot a nice buck, but for one reason or another we failed. I thought i a good shot on a 8 but he must have step up out of the hole he was walking in just as i pulled the trigger. He now doesn't have any hair on his belly! tracked that bastard for about 3.5 hours. the last night of hunting, i filled my doe tag. it was the only deer hanging in camp and wasn't all that large of a doe. meat in the freezer though.

Sparky--up until last year one of the founding members of camp still "hunted" with us. he is 87 this year and was going to go until his knee replacement surgery got moved back and he didn't heal up in time. camp just isn't the same without him.

MadScientist
11-27-2010, 04:29 PM
You guys are using the wrong equipment. Try a mustang instead:
Oh, deer! Woman offered big bucks for big buck (http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/article_890801a0-f9a6-11df-a81e-001cc4c03286.html)

Little Whiskey
11-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Almost had a similar incident on the way home from camp. I was driving the truck and trailer when a buck chased two doe across I94. there was no swerving and the brakes wern't going to stop us. if that dude decided to double back, he would have gotten a free ride on the hood of the truck. I layed on the horn and he continued across the highway. I'm pretty sure he wasn't as lucky when he jumped the dividing wall.

oh ya, and if someone offered me 10k for a deer that i hit with a car........SOLD!