PDA

View Full Version : Bulaga/Tausher situation ?

steve823
11-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Did MM say anything about this situation ? I know Tauscher has been hurt ,but did he say he was going to be the starter once he is healthy again?

I'm hoping Bulaga stays at RT since our line has been doing greet recently, plus the more he plays, the better he will get.

Joemailman
11-09-2010, 07:04 PM
From MM's PC November 3 (Wednesday following the Jets game)

(What are you thinking at right tackle? Has Bulaga played well enough that even when Tauscher is healthy he’s still going to be the right tackle?)
Bryan Bulaga, he’s our right tackle this week, and that’s my focus. There are some things he needs to do better this week than he did last week. But he overall has improved from his first start to now. It’s his job to keep it, and he needs to work with that mentality. Mark’s improving. Mark’s a proven player here, is an excellent teammate, definitely one of our leaders, especially on the offensive line. I’m focused on Dallas. Frankly I’m focused on beating the Dallas Cowboys and getting to the bye week and getting this team healthy.

I expect Bulaga to be the starting RT as long as he doesn't digress, and I say little reason to think that will happen. Only an injury to Clifton, or maybe Colledge would change that.

rbaloha1
11-09-2010, 07:20 PM
BB is playing well. The running game is improving partly due to BB's performance.

vince
11-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Jason Wilde is pretty tight with Tauscher and if you listen to any of his recent podcasts, he's said that Tauscher is ready to go (according to Tauscher).

Bulaga has won the job and unless Bulaga needs to move as Joe said OR his play regresses, Tauscher will continue to sit.

rbaloha1
11-09-2010, 07:23 PM
BB is playing well. The running game is improving partly due to BB's performance.

steve823
11-09-2010, 08:15 PM

(What are you thinking at right tackle? Has Bulaga played well enough that even when Tauscher is healthy he’s still going to be the right tackle?)
Bryan Bulaga, he’s our right tackle this week, and that’s my focus. There are some things he needs to do better this week than he did last week. But he overall has improved from his first start to now. It’s his job to keep it, and he needs to work with that mentality. Mark’s improving. Mark’s a proven player here, is an excellent teammate, definitely one of our leaders, especially on the offensive line. I’m focused on Dallas. Frankly I’m focused on beating the Dallas Cowboys and getting to the bye week and getting this team healthy.

I expect Bulaga to be the starting RT as long as he doesn't digress, and I say little reason to think that will happen. Only an injury to Clifton, or maybe Colledge would change that.

Thanks for that, I've been busy so it's hard to know everything that's going on. I wonder if this means they'll keep him at RT permanently or if he is still Clifton's replacement.

Guiness
11-09-2010, 08:15 PM
How well was Tauscher playing, even before the injury? Who are the '5 best players'?

It seems Bulaga can play three positions, RT, LT and LG. If you look at Tausher, Clifton and Colledge, is the most benefit realized from taking Tausch out of the lineup?

LEWCWA
11-09-2010, 10:40 PM
The only concern I have with BB starting over MT, is the fact that rookies often hit a wall. I would hate for that to happen, but I guess that is minor in the long run.

CaliforniaCheez
11-09-2010, 11:51 PM
(jokingly now)
Bulaga is a 21 year old rookie kid paid a lot less in salary.

Fritz
11-10-2010, 07:24 AM

Thanks for that, I've been busy so it's hard to know everything that's going on. I wonder if this means they'll keep him at RT permanently or if he is still Clifton's replacement.

I've been wondering about this myself, Steve. If he's going to be THE right tackle, does Lang move over to left guard so Colledge can leave for a bigger payday after the season? And does that mean the Pack is once again looking for a left tackle of the future?

My guess would be no - that he's still the left tackle of the future. They did spend a first rounder on him. But of course I'm guessing.

And what a comfort to have Tauscher in reserve.

Patler
11-10-2010, 08:02 AM

I've been wondering about this myself, Steve. If he's going to be THE right tackle, does Lang move over to left guard so Colledge can leave for a bigger payday after the season? And does that mean the Pack is once again looking for a left tackle of the future?

My guess would be no - that he's still the left tackle of the future. They did spend a first rounder on him. But of course I'm guessing.

LT of the future? Possibly Marshall Newhouse. I brought this up at the end of training camp. Several stories mentioned that, much to the surprise of the coaches, he really is more of a left tackle than a right tackle, which they thought for him. Time and again they mention that he has "left tackle feet" and that he seems more comfortable at tackle than at guard. He's raw, apparently, and has a lot to learn. But, apparently he is a willing student and a hard worker. With other NFL'ers in his family, he knows what it takes.

A long shot as a low round draft pick, but I will be curious to see what happens with him.

pbmax
11-10-2010, 08:16 AM
It would be a rarity for a pick that low to become a good LT but odder things have happened. McGinn mentioned in his Cowboy game grades that Bulaga on the right side has struggled to sustain his run blocking but has adjusted to the footwork of a right tackle in pass protection.

And that brings to mind Bulaga's few critics, who thought he didn't have the arms to play LT, but thought he could be otherworldly at RT.

packerbacker1234
11-10-2010, 08:18 AM

I think we'll get that answer in the draft. If we go after another tackle, it's clear they most likely want Bulaga to stay at RT and hope Clifton is healthy enough for one more good year to grom the new guy into the system.

Scott Campbell
11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
........it's clear they most likely want Bulaga to stay at RT..............

Was that made clear? I don't remember that.

ND72
11-10-2010, 08:23 AM

LT of the future? Possibly Marshall Newhouse. I brought this up at the end of training camp. Several stories mentioned that, much to the surprise of the coaches, he really is more of a left tackle than a right tackle, which they thought for him. Time and again they mention that he has "left tackle feet" and that he seems more comfortable at tackle than at guard. He's raw, apparently, and has a lot to learn. But, apparently he is a willing student and a hard worker. With other NFL'ers in his family, he knows what it takes.

A long shot as a low round draft pick, but I will be curious to see what happens with him.

actually heard this morning that Marshall Newhouse will likely be the player released when we sign Havner.

I'm still holding out hope that Bulaga is our LT & Lang is our RT...it always works for me in Madden. :)

packerbacker1234
11-10-2010, 08:26 AM
........it's clear they most likely want Bulaga to stay at RT..............

Was that made clear? I don't remember that.

Sometimes Scott, I wonder if you bother to read.

I said:

"if we go after another tackle in the draft this year, than it's clear they most likely want Bulaga to stay at RT..."

Joemailman
11-10-2010, 08:29 AM

I read that too. He played LT in college, but most thought he would be a G in the NFL. If he can play LT, that pick is a steal. I'll want to see him lineup against a first-rate pass rusher before I get too excited though. A scouting report gives some pretty good info on him:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1125978

Analysis
Positives: Newhouse has a thick, squat frame, with a wide chest, long arms, very strong hand punch (more so with his right than left) with above average quickness, powerful leg drive, strong hands, broad shoulders and a thick chest … Uses his hands with force to jolt and shock the defender in attempts to control the line of scrimmage … One of the more athletic trap blockers in the draft, he has good body control and flexibility, loose hips, average initial quickness and does a nice job of keeping his hands inside his frame to battle counter moves … Quick coming off the snap, getting his hands up into the defender's chest to gain advantage, leverage and sustain … Has the agility to play the guard position at the next level, as he has a strong concept for angling and shows good plant-&-drive agility to follow the ballcarrier to the cutback lanes … Has above average hand speed, showing the ability to fire off the snap with explosiveness … With his field vision, he can easily locate stunts and blitzes … Displays good balance and body control on the short pull, taking proper angles to get to the linebackers at the second level … Good position blocker with fluid flexibility and knee bend … Has the ability to wall off and screen, doing a nice job of rolling his hips on contact … Plays with leverage and at a proper pad level, delivering powerful arm swipes to prevent defenders from getting into his body … Sinks his hips, mirrors the defensive linemen, bends his knees properly and extends his arms well to make the reach block … Works well in combination with the other linemen to maintain the rush lanes and shows flexibility and balance working toward the edge to shut down the pass rush … With his excellent balance and wide base, he can easily maintain position at the line of scrimmage and is very effective driving his man off the first level … Shows good body control and hip snap to get in front on end-around, as his hand strength allows him to lock on and control the defender … When working in-line, he handles combo blocks effectively and works well with the tackles in neutralizing the blitzes off the edge.

Negatives: Has very good arm reach, but his hands are not evenly proportioned (right one is 10 1/4-inches in width/left one is 9 1/2) and he does become right-hand dominant because of this … His size is a little shorter than what most teams look for in a left tackle and will more likely shift inside to guard … While he shows nimble feet and a good burst working into the second level, he sometimes gets his feet too narrow running long distances and can be tripped up … This results in him slipping off some of his blocks when working in space, but he shows the ability to recover and take good angles … On the rare occasions that he drops his head in pass protection, he will then tend to play some on his toes, but he will then recover, sink his hips and do a decent job of mirroring his man … Despite his strong hand punch, he will do more grabbing that shocking and jolting the defender as he starts tiring later in games.

Compares To: RANDY THOMAS, ex-Washington -- Newhouse should have little problem adjusting to blocking in-line. He was often used to lead the charge on end-arounds and works well with the other blockers to widen the rush lane. He is a powerful sort, yet also has very good balance and quickness for an offensive lineman. For a team that stresses zone blocking, this nimble athlete should fit in nicely.

They talk about him having nimble feet, but short arms. In talking about Bulaga earlier this year, MM said something like "I've never seen a guy who couldn't play LT because his arms were too short. I have seen guys who couldn't play LT because they didn't have the footwork."

We'll see.

Patler
11-10-2010, 09:07 AM

actually heard this morning that Marshall Newhouse will likely be the player released when we sign Havner.

I'm still holding out hope that Bulaga is our LT & Lang is our RT...it always works for me in Madden. :)

A couple articles speculated that McDonald or Newhouse would be released to sign Havner, mostly because both have been inactive all season. I would expect it would be McDonald before Newhouse if they decide to release an O-lineman, if for no other reason than McDonald is exclusively a guard and Newhouse has played both.

run pMc
11-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Bulaga is the starting RT, Tauscher makes for a pretty good backup.
I expect TT to draft another tackle. I think you have to constantly replenish the OL and DL.

I would really like to see them keep and develop Newhouse.
If they do sign Havner, I wonder why they'd cut an OL and keep the FA LB's (Biggs, Walden)...especially since Havner can play LB and would be primarily a ST. Lee and Quarless should get the goal line looks.
(I know, I know, got off topic)

I'm not sure if Bulaga will stay at RT or if that's just to get him some game experience before Clifton hangs it up. Time will tell.
From what I read Lang had a bad camp, with the caveat that he was recovering from wrist surgery...so I have no idea if he will ever be good enough to start.

Fritz
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Lang could step in at left guard next year if Colledge is allowed to walk. There has been some sentiment that he's a better guard than a tackle.

swede
11-12-2010, 11:59 AM
LT of the future? Possibly Marshall Newhouse.

One minute you're the starting left tackle and the next minute you're cut to make room for football's version of the utility infielder.

It's a tough business.

Patler
11-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Tauscher's done. Put on IR.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/12/packers-put-mark-tauscher-on-injured-reserve/